Getting Rid Of Rats

StefanBBK

Hi,

I just read in a different topic about electronic pest repellents, which I tried and found utterly useless.

We have every once in a while some rats living in our false ceiling. They get in through the roof somewhere. Short of dismantle the ceiling, I have no way of fi.ding the hole the get in through.

Is there any device that surely repells the rats?

I am not a fan of traps. Hate to deal with dead rats.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The advantage on trap over poison is you can dispose of the body instead of have it rot somewhere in your ceiling.

And there are trap that just trap rats but don't kill them. Then you have to decide what you want to do with the rat.

Or you can adopt a cat.

I don't know how successful the ultra-sonic devices are. They claim to repel all kinds of vermin, might be worth giving a try.

Oops! Sorry, I see you have already tried that.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002763KWU

Consumer watchdogs say there is NO scientific evidence that any of these devices work.

Edited by giddyup

Actually I read that somewhere in the Philippines they have so much problems with rats that killing a cat is a criminal offense.

You then get a plague of cats. I don't know which is worse.

I have the same problem, i just put glue traps on and check them once in a while. The moment a rat gets down from the ceiling one of my dogs will usually send him to his next life. But its still anoying if they are somewhere where the dogs cant reach them. But usually the dogs then indicate its time to move some boxes so they can go in for the kill.

The best way to catch rats in the roof space is by using traps. I couldn't beleive so many rats were getting in as we were catching another rat every week, sometimes 2 per week. I started looking round the house to see how they were getting in. I know rats can climb walls but look for overhanging branches from trees. They climb up the tree, along the branch and just drop onto the roof. Then look for holes in your roof. It's surprising where the rats can find a way in, look for holes or gaps under roof tiles. Get the holes filled up and you should get rid of the problem. Especially check if you have guttering as the rats can run around to another part of the house away from any trees before finding a way in! After you have all the holes filled it might be at least a week before you can be sure all the rats have gone as they in the roof for days.

Actually I read that somewhere in the Philippines they have so much problems with rats that killing a cat is a criminal offense.

Cats will never be a nuisance.

• Like 1

A neutered cat will work just fine for the rats and will not breed, or adopt a king cobra.

"Try a poison with Bromide in it. (Bromakil in Oz). Bromide dries them out - nothing for maggots to live on. Quite effective. "

As quoted by an old poster.

I do believe that Rentokil Thailand use Bromakil, might be worth a check.

Really? One of my neighbours had 10 cats at one time, none of them neutered, all using my garden as their toilet, fighting, screeching and screwing all night. Thankfully she's moved and taken the filthy felines with her.

Edited by giddyup

Really? One of my neighbours had 10 cats at one time, none of them neutered, all using my garden as their toilet, fighting, screeching and screwing all night. Not a nuisance, no way.

You mean they fertilize your garden for free, provide entertainment fro free (how much people pay to go to zoo to see animals in their natural environment ?)

Screwing all night ? Here I can't help but feel a little bit of jealousy ...

Disclaimer : This post is only intended to lighten up a boring Sunday morning. It shouldn't be taken more seriously than it was intended to be

I am not such fan of glue traps, as they rodents frequently dismember themselves trying to escape

Poison works the best, but you have to get used to the smell of rotting carcasses in the wall.

Conventional spring loaded traps are good because they also dispatch the little critters, however are time consuming and dangerous to bait.

Box traps are good, and when there is one inside, you can release it for the dog or cat to administer the coup de grace, or tie a string on the trap and let it submerge in the klorng.

i dont know if this would make the problem worse or better but you could put poison around the perimeter of your house so they will not need to come in to get food in the roof

of course ,the downside of this is ,you may attract new rats that smelled the poison because a rat cant tel the differnce between posion and food until its too late smile.png

also ,if squirells ,cats or digs are around ,they may also eat the poison

"Try a poison with Bromide in it. (Bromakil in Oz). Bromide dries them out - nothing for maggots to live on. Quite effective. "

As quoted by an old poster.

I do believe that Rentokil Thailand use Bromakil, might be worth a check.

Hi

I dont know if available in BKK, stuff called RATEX pink pelets als dry out the vermin no smell.

• Like 1

I am not such fan of glue traps, as they rodents frequently dismember themselves trying to escape

Poison works the best, but you have to get used to the smell of rotting carcasses in the wall.

Conventional spring loaded traps are good because they also dispatch the little critters, however are time consuming and dangerous to bait.

Box traps are good, and when there is one inside, you can release it for the dog or cat to administer the coup de grace, or tie a string on the trap and let it submerge in the klorng.

Or chuck it on the BBQ !!

Cats work well - just ignore and don't feed them - when they have killed all the rats they will go elsewhere. Then will likely only have a visiting cat or two every few days. Our rats were gone after we no longer had a dog scaring the cats away.

A neutered cat will work just fine for the rats and will not breed, or adopt a king cobra.

A neutered cat ? bah.gif

You avatar says it all ...

what is wrong with a neutered cat? do tell. what about neutered dogs? they a bad thing too?

and if neutering is an issue, how do you feel about spaying?

Edited by nocturn

A neutered cat ? bah.gif

You avatar says it all ...

what is wrong with a neutered cat? do tell. what about neutered dogs? they a bad thing too?

and if neutering is an issue, how do you feel about spaying?

What's wrong about neutering ?

I'm sure you won't mind. You won't feel anything, you may just gain a little weight ...

Don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you.

Edited by JurgenG

Ciba-Geigy (now renamed Novartis) produced decades ago a rat poison for commercial use (e.g. grain warehouses) which attacks the lungs of the rats in a way that they leave enclosed spaces and search for outside fresh air where they die. problem is to find that specific poison in Thailand. we have once in a while a rat problem in the attic which we solve with the disgusting "glue pizzas" which work in no time when baited with fish or cheese. would of course rather use the above-mentioned poison.

just tried to find more details but without any success.

Edited by Naam

Indeed. Cobras make outstanding pets.

I would suggest the more venomous and larger Siamese Cobra. rolleyes.gif

Spring loaded cage traps work a treat. Bait them with prawns and work methodically when loading them. Release or kill but remember that rats are good at homing (so kill is the better option).

If you have a water tank in your roof space then the rats are climbing up your piping to get into the roof space.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I heard a this once from a guy who worked on a farm ,for getting rids of lots of rodents

Might be a tall tale !

Try catch two rats alive 3 would be better in box traps ....drop them in to a 20 litre drum with a small piece of wood,like apiece of bark the size of your hand

Secure the opening of the drum with chicken wire ,leave for a week

The strongest rat will find himself out doing the other two to stay afloat on the wood ,then after a while he will eat the other 2 ,after this release him and he will attack and eat all the other rats on your property ,kinda got your self a cannibal rat pet ,who won't bother chewing on wires and wood he rodent meat now!

A touch extreme for you situation ,I just liked the story

That's why spaying and neutering is the right thing to do :)

In any case, having seen some of these rats, many cats are no match.

I think it is prudent to not handle the rats and a dead rat in a trap attracts insects quickly. The last thing anyone needs to do is to come in contact with a rat's fleas, tics and resulting pool of urine and blood.