Major Pet Food Recall

Worried about Salmonella when feeding a raw food diet to your pet, thinking you don't walk into that risk when feeding commercial pet food, think twice!

This recall includes the brands Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers, Premium Edge, and Taste of the Wild. Those are the 'better' dog food brands available in Chiang Mai.

http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/2012/huge-recall-on-several-diamond-brand-dog-and-cat-foods/

If you have one of these brands at home, or are planning to buy a bag, check the expiry date. See this link for more info.

The last time we discussed this, no recalls of processed dried ("kibble" style) dog food had occurred. This time THE RECALL IS OF DRIED DOG FOOD, and from what I have seen it affects nearly all the dried dog food brands imported to Thailand from the USA and the recall has featured on the US news.

ANYONE FEEDING THEIR DOG AN IMPORTED DRIED DOG FOOD SHOULD CHECK THEIR FOOD as some pet suppliers here seem unaware of the recall and are still selling the food.

As far as choice of diet is concerned, my view is unchanged - there is no "one size fits all" solution, and it depends on the circumstances and needs of both the owner and the pet. My ban-kaew/GSD cross is dying inexorably of chronic and advanced renal failure and even though his ideal diet would have been Prescription Diet KD since he was diagnosed that simply wasn't an option as he wouldn't eat it at all and would only eat the cheapest canned dog food (probably because of the high jelly/gravy content). Sometimes, for any number of reasons, the ideal simply isn't possible however much you would like it to be.