The Essence Of Being Hi-So

It's an attitude.

I have had the displeasure to associate with some hi-so Thai women, wives of relative to obscenely wealthy foreigners. Absolute snobs with a disguising holier than though attitude. Vile, vile people.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an attitude.

I have had the displeasure to associate with some hi-so Thai women, wives of relative to obscenely wealthy foreigners. Absolute snobs with a disguising holier than though attitude. Vile, vile people.

Haha, probably not hi so. Rich, yes. Hi so, probably no.

• Like 1

Was something like this?

post-104736-0-96570000-1336511115_thumb.

or this ...

post-104736-0-85247600-1336511262_thumb.

That looks like a very new version of the "Fiat 500'"

No , although the colour is very similar if not the same, the car i saw was a old model of Fiat 500.

So more like this ... post-104736-0-77865800-1336605985_thumb.

If not maybe can be spotted in this ... post-104736-0-35620900-1336606006_thumb.

It's an attitude.

Therein lies the conundrum. A Thai businessman of my vague acquaintance ( as in we'd exchange wais and mild pleasantries if we met ) is driven around in a new 9999 plate Bentley but seems content enough slurping down street side noodles with his staff and taken out of his environment looks and dresses like a songtaew driver. Salt of the earth.

A woman I know ( wife of a dentist ) drives an entry level 3 series Beemer and swans around like minor royalty. Saw her at a 5 star hotel buffet once with a member of staff following her around with a plate while she indicated with the wave of one finger what food she wanted.

Edited by mca

Was something like this?

post-104736-0-96570000-1336511115_thumb.

or this ...

post-104736-0-85247600-1336511262_thumb.

That looks like a very new version of the "Fiat 500'"

No , although the colour is very similar if not the same, the car i saw was a old model of Fiat 500.

So more like this ... post-104736-0-77865800-1336605985_thumb.

If not maybe can be spotted in this ... post-104736-0-35620900-1336606006_thumb.

Wow David, just love those pics.. Yep , the Fiat 500 i saw was modified to be fully convertible.. It was amazing, as i was almost new to Thailand and BKK traffic, to see it in a middle of a ocean of Japanese cars !

i dont know why wepersist in pretending this is a thai phenomenon. the American deifition seems to fit here as well.

this from wiki:

High society refers to a category of people deemed to have greater social status or prestige, and their related affiliations, social events and practices which together define a group variously referred to as "Society" or high society. Such groups are defined by certain key events and cultural affiliations which together identify members of this group and their typical interactions. Members of this group usually have some degree of status within society. This is usually based on greater wealth or affluence, but also may be based on various forms of cultural or political prominence or achievements.

Why are people obsessed with putting themselves into a class? Why does it even matter? Would you not talk to someone if they were Lo-So?

Only to tell them what clothes to wash and if the sheets need changing or not.

Why are people obsessed with putting themselves into a class? Why does it even matter? Would you not talk to someone if they were Lo-So?

Safer just to use hand signals

• Like 1

One should employ a man to talk to the staff. Preferably a man of sound character and judgement, who could also ignore farangs on your behalf, if required. In a well-run household, the staff know their jobs without being constantly spoken to by the master of the house (or mistress, or lady of the house, as appropriate). Actually not sure about the mistress talking to the staff at all; probably least said, soonest mended.

SC

I think racial purity is important

That Hugo chap who is the son of Mom-Ratchawong (Lord / Lady / Baron / Baroness etc) So-and-So is definitely a loog-kreung and he's about as hi-so as they come. Politicians can eat their wives' big hair out next to him.

Some Definitions for High society...

>>>the aggregate of people who are fashionable, wealthy, and influential, regarded as forming a distinct group in a community:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/society

>>>The socially interacting wealthy fashionable elite of a society.

http://www.wordnik.com/words/high%20society

>>>a.the upper classes, esp when fashionable

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/high-society

Some Definitions for High society...

>>>the aggregate of people who are fashionable, wealthy, and influential, regarded as forming a distinct group in a community:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/society

>>>The socially interacting wealthy fashionable elite of a society.

http://www.wordnik.com/words/high%20society

>>>a.the upper classes, esp when fashionable

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/high-society

That is very interesting, although the non-Oxford dictionaries have no value except as (un-fashionable) door stops

Also, would you mind checking for the definition of "Hi-So"?

Dont forget inbreeding is also very common in hi so circles

A rather ridiculous comment. Where do you people come up with such nonsense? A better question is...why? Why so much hostility towards the so-called "hi-so?" Is it jealousy? Envy? The ugly side of the farang mindset.

none of them,its called reality mate

So you agree that hi-so's are into incest? And you have proof of this, of course....?

One should employ a man to talk to the staff. Preferably a man of sound character and judgement, who could also ignore farangs on your behalf, if required. In a well-run household, the staff know their jobs without being constantly spoken to by the master of the house (or mistress, or lady of the house, as appropriate). Actually not sure about the mistress talking to the staff at all; probably least said, soonest mended.

SC

But to ensure that the staff don't forget their position in the way things are and start taking on airs and graces and getting all "uppity" by demanding such decadent items as food and shelter a twice weekly decent thrashing will soon have them back grovelling like the curs they are.

Edited by mca

Neither jealousy or envy, more like disgust at the ability to drive cars with impunity.

Remember the spoiled brat in the Merc that ploughed into a busstop full of people on Suk Rd Bkk.

Lets not forget the kid fleeing in the stolen Porsche that wiped out the poor Laotian girl.

What ever happened to little Miss HiSo driving the Honda Civic in Rangsit?

Hows that Mor Muk case progressing, any updates?

Did any of the above ever spend a night in the cells?

Remember the night club execution from a few years ago?

How can you spot a hi-so from the rest of the population, exactly? The cars they drive? Sorry for saying, but I don't think hi-so's would drive a Honda Civic.

It does seem like jealousy or envy when farangs speak of hi-so's, as if to say "How dare you have more money than me!" Because that does seem to be the farang definition of hi-so, i.e., any Thai who is not dirt poor or looks Thai-Chinese. But wait, farangs also despise poor Thais because they tend to want to fleece farangs and are generally untrustworthy...no? But at least with poor Thais, the farang can look down on them with the personal satisfaction of having more money. Can't do that with rich Thais. Hence the propensity to want to put them down for being so uppity. The Thai folks just can't win.

Dont forget inbreeding is also very common in hi so circles

A rather ridiculous comment. Where do you people come up with such nonsense? A better question is...why? Why so much hostility towards the so-called "hi-so?" Is it jealousy? Envy? The ugly side of the farang mindset.

none of them,its called reality mate

So you agree that hi-so's are into incest? And you have proof of this, of course....?

In-breeding does not require incest.

There is no place for incest in this forum - have you spoken to Smokie about it?

SC

It's an attitude.

Therein lies the conundrum. A Thai businessman of my vague acquaintance ( as in we'd exchange wais and mild pleasantries if we met ) is driven around in a new 9999 plate Bentley but seems content enough slurping down street side noodles with his staff and taken out of his environment looks and dresses like a songtaew driver. Salt of the earth.

A woman I know ( wife of a dentist ) drives an entry level 3 series Beemer and swans around like minor royalty. Saw her at a 5 star hotel buffet once with a member of staff following her around with a plate while she indicated with the wave of one finger what food she wanted.

That's a good post, but the word "conundrum" is wrong.

EXAMPLE 1

My name is Prince Harry. I drive around London in my Aston Martin. Tonight, I'll probably put on a pair of faded jeans and Gucci loafers, and then head off to a pub in The Kings Road. I'll probably drink a couple of pints and smoke a few cigarettes. No one will recognize me, but the truth is that I'll have more class in my little finger than everyone else in the pub put together.

EXAMPLE 2

My name is Ron. I'm fifty and I own a steel mill in Sheffield. My wife is 43. She's a classy lady. She got big hair. Bleached blond hair. She's got big bosoms and a big cleavage. She wears mini skirts and lots of lycra. She wears 6 inch heels. She reeks of YSL or Channel No. 5. She's dripping with gold. Like I said, she's a classy lady.

----------------------------------------------------

Ever seen those little Isaan girls walking around The Emporium with their wealthy farang boyfriends? Ever noticed how they always try too hard? Too much gold. The heels are too high. The dress sense is all wrong. The act fails. It's mutton dressed as lamb

--------------------------------------------------

The true hi-so (ie, old money) are different. You won't recognize them. They adopt a sort of "less is more" philosophy.

But there's more to it than that. You see, while you may see them, they won't see you.

This is why I find it hard to believe stories about farangs who claim to be married to hi-so women. It's not the case that these women don't want to meet you. It's simply the case that they don't even see you.

It's an attitude.

EXAMPLE 1

My name is Prince Harry. I drive around London in my Aston Martin. Tonight, I'll probably put on a pair of faded jeans and Gucci loafers, and then head off to a pub in The Kings Road. I'll probably drink a couple of pints and smoke a few cigarettes. No one will recognize me, but the truth is that I'll have more class in my little finger than everyone else in the pub put together.

EXAMPLE 2

My name is Ron. I'm fifty and I own a steel mill in Sheffield. My wife is 43. She's a classy lady. She got big hair. Bleached blond hair. She's got big bosoms and a big cleavage. She wears mini skirts and lots of lycra. She wears 6 inch heels. She reeks of YSL or Channel No. 5. She's dripping with gold. Like I said, she's a classy lady.

----------------------------------------------------

Ever seen those little Isaan girls walking around The Emporium with their wealthy farang boyfriends? Ever noticed how they always try too hard? Too much gold. The heels are too high. The dress sense is all wrong. The act fails. It's mutton dressed as lamb

--------------------------------------------------

The true hi-so (ie, old money) are different. You won't recognize them. They adopt a sort of "less is more" philosophy.

But there's more to it than that. You see, while you may see them, they won't see you.

This is why I find it hard to believe stories about farangs who claim to be married to hi-so women. It's not the case that these women don't want to meet you. It's simply the case that they don't even see you.

People with class never talk about class, far less obsess about it. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

It's an attitude.

Very true. Posted at 6.50 am. First coffee of the day not kicking in.

Guanxi. When you mingle with generals (or their daughters in tiny Fiats), you have access to power. Or at least an illusion of it, which is a more accurate definition of Hi-So: A specimen of Homo Sapiens fostering the illusion of having power over others based on the company being kept.

Only two differences,higher maintenance and bad attitude

Its not about the car

since when has a car had bad attitude????

you have obviously never owned a fiat

Indeed, wasn't the 500 the model where the engine in later models actually rotated in the opposite direction to the earlier ones? A Navy flier based in Lossiemouth wanted to resurrect his clapped out earlier 500 and got a deal on a motor from a newer 500 that had been tail-ended. Took about three nights of work but he ended up with a 500 that had one painfully slow forward gear but could happily nip down the runway at about 30 mph in second gear reverse.... before he bottled.

• Like 1