Hua Hin, 5 Other Districts In Prachuap Declared Drought Disaster Zones

george

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most idiotic Country's on the Earth, Thailand is blessed with abundance of fertile soil and water but sadly the donkeys in Charge have no idea.

Next the farmers will be charging 3 times the price for fruit and veg because of water shortage...Limes are already going for 9 baht each that should be 1 baht..Laughable

Massive amounts of water are disgustingly wasted right at the hight of the Dry season ...The Country deserves all that it gets

Planning is obviously not in the Thai Dictionary

I keep reading all these negative comments and wondering why these people have chosen to come to Thailand.

I can't recall to seen an advertisement of how perfect this country is before deciding to settle in Thailand 18 years ago (at least it wasn't provided from my travel agent during that time).

My advise to you guys is, pack your stuff and go right back where you came from or simply accept the differences in culture.

I can only agree with you

Of course you will. Because either you're brainwashed by the system or the system works for you -- on the backs of poor Thai folk. Some of us here complain because we still think there's a shred of hope that the Thai people will eventually "wake up" to the atrocities their fellow 'people' commit against them. Some of us are here not because we left our countries because we hate our own countries, but because we thought that we might be able to live in the homelands of our partners.

Obviously, I for one, WILL be going back, but that won't stop me from complaining/posting abroad about how I wish Thailand could/would become a better place to live in -- for its own people.

• Like 1

Things are not perfect elsewhere, either. I live in the UK and we have just experienced the wettest April in 100 years, yet several areas have hosepipe bans and drought conditions may exist in these areas, this summer. Sure, we have had four 'dry' (try telling that to the inhabitants) winters but some water companies waste water on an industrial scale due to lack of investment in infrastructure.

You would think it was not beyond the capabilities of one of the most developed countries on Earth to have a 'joined up' water system. But, no - parts of the country have an excess of water, others, not enough. So, maybe Thailand is not so bad after all.

On balance, I would prefer to live in sunny, relatively low cost of living Thailand, than a cold, miserable, very expensive United Kingdom. Roll on retirement, when I can do just that!

Obviously, I for one, WILL be going back, but that won't stop me from complaining/posting abroad about how I wish Thailand could/would become a better place to live in -- for its own people.

But the people don't care to change. And why would they?

Anyways, this thread went severely off-topic before the first page was over! Widespread drought (which this is not) is not a fun thing and hopefully some rain will come soon.

Not good news if your a farmer

Going to be "Not" good for "EVERYONE", (meaning you and I) not just farmers, unless we get ample rain this year

There are 75 other provinces to import food from, not to mention food imported from around the world. I think EVERYONE will be just fine.

It seems to me that whilst laying the new rail track from north to south, that a large pipe could be incorporated into the earthworks, so that the inundations of the north could be piped to the south. This would give ease to the flood-hit north and replenish the reservoirs of the south.

One of the most idiotic Country's on the Earth, Thailand is blessed with abundance of fertile soil and water but sadly the donkeys in Charge have no idea.

Next the farmers will be charging 3 times the price for fruit and veg because of water shortage...Limes are already going for 9 baht each that should be 1 baht..Laughable

Massive amounts of water are disgustingly wasted right at the hight of the Dry season ...The Country deserves all that it gets

Planning is obviously not in the Thai Dictionary Maybe so, however the lime farmers will be happy

I keep reading all these negative comments and wondering why these people have chosen to come to Thailand.

I can't recall to seen an advertisement of how perfect this country is before deciding to settle in Thailand 18 years ago (at least it wasn't provided from my travel agent during that time).

My advise to you guys is, pack your stuff and go right back where you came from or simply accept the differences in culture.

These people are usually the ones who were not really successful in their own home countries, they usually have a bruised ego, and choose to come to Thailand, where they could get a feel of importance, feeding the bruised ego.

A lot of these people feel lonely, and have difficulties interact with other people, they are usually social misfits, and the only way these people can easily bond with eachother, is by bashing thailand, thai people and the thai culture.

Believe it or not, many foreigners have made it their main hobby, to come here on thaivisa, to bash thai culture, in order to numb the sense of failure they experienced in their home country, and feed their bruised ego. At least some thais look up to them (or at least so they think)

There very well may be (are) people as you describe and a high % at that. Why may I ask? A possible answer is in fact related to the high degree of incompetence and lack of awareness in Thai society and their tolerance/acceptance of anyone as long as they have money. Analysis and critique may resemble "bashing" and vice a versa. I will say there seems to be people that are obsessed with it though.

I've noticed another type of male expat, that which is so thrilled with having/ finding a human female willing to put up with him that he is blindingly filled with unconditional enchantment with the country and society.

What would you say to Thai people that think outside the box, also bash, criticize society in many the same ways that some on TV forum ? There are highly accomplished, educated, respected Thais that write basically the same thing as some on tv.

Google articles (all by Thai's) below

"Our idiotic mindset" "Naziism and our brainwashed upbringing" "We don't know what we are doing" "Bought grades, sold souls an all-access pass through the halls of higher learning"

These people are usually the ones who were not really successful in their own home countries, they usually have a bruised ego, and choose to come to Thailand, where they could get a feel of importance, feeding the bruised ego.

A lot of these people feel lonely, and have difficulties interact with other people, they are usually social misfits, and the only way these people can easily bond with eachother, is by bashing thailand, thai people and the thai culture.

Believe it or not, many foreigners have made it their main hobby, to come here on thaivisa, to bash thai culture, in order to numb the sense of failure they experienced in their home country, and feed their bruised ego. At least some thais look up to them (or at least so they think)

And the reason you are here in TV is what?

Well said Ayayay.

People who have no choice than staying in Thailand are probably unsuccessfull everywhere else or trapped here, they would complain even in the Eden, there is anger in their heart.

While many other just like to climb on a teacher table and say what is right to do and don't. Sometimes they are the same persons as the above one.

Anyway, those claiming Thai culture for a drought disaster really don't lose a chance to open their mouth and say nonsense.

I have visited Prachuap and Kui Buri a few weeks ago, the soil was very dry everywhere, sometimes looks like a desert with cactus (haven't seen cactus before in Thailand, maybe just by chance). Still, lot of fruits and watermelons for sale, it didn't look like farmers were having problems yet. Of course now the level of reservoir is going down, maybe they can stand one more month, hopefully the rain should arrive.

For sure the water reservoirs could be manage better by properly built drainage system, just think about the past flood in Bangok, local administration has its big part of responsibilities.

But weather is also changing everywhere, here in the south we had a very short high season for the third year, it rained a lot till the end of December, than again since mid of April.

Shall we start blaming God for messing up the seasons?

We'd better start blaming humanity for messing up the environment!

Well we know how successful you are "Thai Planner". 5555

I am guessing that in about three weeks there will be plenty of water...In fact, so much water, no body will know what to do with it like last season...w00t.gif

We have plenty of water now. It's been raining on and off everyday for a week.

Hey terryp: An absolutely obscene post. Disgusting. Thais did not plan for drought? Considering that when drought hits it is a disaster in any country in the world it appears that you are being a bit discriminatory. Guess the Thais were negligent in their planning because they did not do a rain dance? Does the amount of water thrown in the water festival actually amount to a significant percentage? You or I would not have a clue whether it does. The price you paid for a lime? You probably were dumb enough to let yourself get faranged. I have not personally noticed a big jump in produce prices and the last place I went shopping was at Gourmet Market in the Bangkok Paragon for krissakes! In any case FYI the concept of supply and demand is not uniquely Thai.w00t.gif How they handle their resources here. Huh? I dunno? And I will bet cash against gummy bears that you are not an agricultural engineer nor even have the knowledge to comment on the subject. I have been here for thirteen years and there are things that drive me nuts- But if my feelings were even slightly resembling the lack of esteem and comtempt that you exhibit I would have the self respect as well as decency towards the people to leave here. Yeah. You should go. wai.gif

I am guessing that in about three weeks there will be plenty of water...In fact, so much water, no body will know what to do with it like last season...w00t.gif

We have plenty of water now. It's been raining on and off everyday for a week.

I think you'll find "it don't work like that"....

Being aware of and respecting cultural differences is one thing. Trying to help make things better is something everyone should be able to do. This is different to the "bashers' brigade" and equally different to the "ostrich brigade" - i.e. let's bury my head up my ar$e and say nothing!

Interesting statement. Can you share the breadth and depth of your extensive research and the analytical models employed in what must have been a carefully planned and implemented research project into the expat community of Thailand?

Interesting statement. Can you share the breadth and depth of your extensive research and the analytical models employed in what must have been a carefully planned and implemented research project into the expat community of Thailand?

ps - meant to ask where you got your degree in psychology and PhD in social science from. Always looking for good academic references.

Well said Ayayay.

To bad that Thai visa don't have a LIKE bottom like Facebook, otherwise I would have press it a thousand times ;-)

thanks for those kind words!

There very well may be (are) people as you describe and a high % at that. Why may I ask? A possible answer is in fact related to the high degree of incompetence and lack of awareness in Thai society and their tolerance/acceptance of anyone as long as they have money. Analysis and critique may resemble "bashing" and vice a versa.

It usually depends on how you say it, the usual, "how am I not surprised the incompetent thai people can think and plan?" or just stating "thailand is thailand" is either analysis, or constructive criticism, it´s just plain nonchalant thai bashing.

I will say there seems to be people that are obsessed with it though.

Yes, and quite many as well, if thais would visit these boards, I think they would be shocked at how many foreigners look down on them and their culture.

What would you say to Thai people that think outside the box, also bash, criticize society in many the same ways that some on TV forum ? There are highly accomplished, educated, respected Thais that write basically the same thing as some on tv.

I think thai people in general who criticize thailand usually have a different agenda than the angry, condescending foreigner coming to thaivisa and says things like "a thai person is just marginally more intelligent than an ape" etc.

Also, it seems less hypocrite for a thai, that was born here, grew up here, to criticize their home country, than the many times not the most successful foreigner who usually cant speak thai, moved here 2 years ago, knows 1 thai person, to sit on thaivisa and criticize their new home country, that they themselves choose to move to 2 years ago.

I think one can criticize thailand, sure, but make it constructive, and make sure you don´t make it the your main hobby, or even worse, your ONLY hobby.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on thaivisa seems to have choosen the latter.

• Like 1

ps - meant to ask where you got your degree in psychology and PhD in social science from. Always looking for good academic references.

I do not support cultural marxism in any shape of form...

It's common sense that is not in the Thai dictionary. A third world country with third world mentality.

It's common sense that is not in the Thai dictionary. A third world country with third world mentality.

Congratz, you win the thai bash award!

And the reason you are here in TV is what?

It is primary not to bash thai people and thai culture...

Obviously my learned friends do not "hail" (no pun intended ) from the UK where it has been raining constantly for 5 weeks and there is a hosepipe ban because the water companies with their large bonuses, are unable to plug the holes in the reservoirs and fix the leaky pipes. Unfortunately "the most idiotic country on earth" continues to attract moaning, complaining,whining ferangs who pour endless amounts of scarce water on their european style gardens and golf courses. One has to ask, if it is so idiotic, why do they continue to live here?

One has to ask, if it is so idiotic, why do they continue to live here?

You would have to know each person's personal circumstances to understand that.

A lot of people come here with a dream of an affordable retirement or place to live and after a few years beginning with maybe getting cheated in a home build or purchase losing a lot of their savings, a change in the exchange rate, and a dramatic increase in the cost of living find that they are now trapped here for life (financially) and have no other option. This can and has turned many people bitter after a while along with all the other challenges of living here like the difficulty of owning property or trying to find reliable local craftsmen or help around the house or garden. While Thailand is a great holiday destination, the challenges of living here full time can sneak up on you and before you know it, your life is a mess and there is no backing out. Look at the suicide rate of foreigners in places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket. People come here thinking it is paradise and find out that its not when they hit bottom in a place where there is no safety net. I've seen it happen to many people over the 8+ years I've been here.

I have a neighbor who worked all over the world and lived in countries in South America, India, China, Russia, and many more for years each throughout his career and he agrees that Thailand is the most difficult place to live of them all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might be time to go back home.