Phuket Immigration

Ping

(Please leave in Phuket Forum - about Phuket Immigration only)

I know this has been done before in previous threads, but times change and so do people's experiences. Today I went to Immigration to extend my visa another year and at the end, I thanked the immig officer and he said, 'Only thank you?' Clearly, he was after a tip, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a government officer doing his job. So no tip. It was also exceptionally busy (yesterday and tomorrow the office closed) and I had a far longer than usual wait. So I was also in no mood to tip, even if I had the inclination. Just curious as to what others do - do most of you tip? Do you also tip when you report residence (I never have)? And any cheap charlie comments will be graciously recieved...

Speaking of cheap charlie, I noticed that photocopying downstairs is charged at B2/page for Thais and B3/page for farang. Yes, cheap charlie again, but the old double-pricing principle chestnut is the issue...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually hand over 2,000 baht and tell them to keep the 100 baht change. I see many other folks do that. I don't offer anything for the 90 days reporting. the one that annoys me the most is the Certificate of Residency which should be free, yet they demand a 500 baht fee. As for photocopies I copy/print them all at home, but the officer always wants something extra photo copied and it's really annoying when he/she tosses it aside later on when checking through my bundle of copies.

I don't tip them. Probably should though. It just rubs me the wrong way to pay for something that is lacking in honesty and service.

As long as we are ranting here, my last time in for 90 day reporting, I had two different Thai men, butt right in front of me and each hand the officer aprox 10 passports each that took about 20-25 minutes , while I patiently waited. Nothing was said to me, just the immigration officer immedietly ignored me to take care of these shysters.

Also, had a friend just take his mother to the airport to go back home.

They had gone to immigration to extend her visa and then imm. at the airport was saying it hadn't been done.

They wanted 14,000 baht before they would allow her to board the plane.

It was sad.

Will I ever tip that kind of service? I hope not.

But, yes, I have friends who tip and they claim exceptional service. They know the right amounts and how to do it in front of 10-20 onlookers without feeling guilty.

I would never feel comfortable doing that.

It's an out and out bribe IMO and I wasn't brought up that way.

My Thai wife now, she could do it. She totally understands.

Nope, have never left any tip.

Only have used them for 60 day extensions after the impending expiry of a 12 month / 90 day visa.

Always take wife and child to illustrate 'happy families', so they get too distracted to worry about extras!

You mean the certificate of residency for driver licence renewal?

Yes. Or to register a vehicle in own name ... thumbsup.gif

Different pair of shoes. For the driving license extension, I never paid any amount, for a new bike/car I paid 300 baht.

why would anyone tell a government official to keep the change or hand over a tip?

i worked in the service industry for more than a decade before coming to thailand. i'm a huge tipper but only when it's appropriate.

don't tip governemenal officials unless they're actually skirting normal proceedure for you. don't even tip the folks at starbucks and subway. their service isn't the kind of service that should be tipped. it's just a scheme to allow the owners to pay employees less money.

tipping governmental officials...ridiculous.

The last time I renewed my retirement visa (or extension of stay whatever it is called) I had two passports, one with the expiring visa in it and a new passport shortly to come into being in which the new one was needed.

Unfortunately I had the little weasel who has previously asked for a bribe, and he asked for 500 baht upfront. For what I asked? Two passports he replied, and I told him that I did not think that this was the case and carried on as per normal.

Just to show who was boss he sent me downstairs to the photocopy centre for other copies and when I came back, he sent me down for more copies, and when I ventured back he wanted a copy of every page of my bank book for the past year. My comment was that I thought it was only necessary for three months, so he smirked at me and said he wanted copies for a year and to do what he said. So I had to go back to Patong to get the bank book, return to immigration and go downstairs again for the copying, then back up to see him.

The whole process took 4 hours (he would make me wait in line again) and I was seething but kept calm, however underneath all this I was promising myself that if I ever saw him on a dark night I would drag him behind a bush and deal to him!!

Phuket immigration is a disgrace. Nothing but thieves.

I got my 12 month extension last week.

I automatically picked up the 100 baht change without thinking.

About 3/4 of an hour later, after observing many others come and go, I enquired what had happened to my passport. After a bit of a search it was found, completed, at the very bottom of a large pile of paperwork on the desk. If I hadn't asked I would probably still be waiting for it now!

Lesson learnt, next year he can keep the bloody 100baht!

About 3/4 of an hour later, after observing many others come and go, I enquired what had happened to my passport. After a bit of a search it was found, completed, at the very bottom of a large pile of paperwork on the desk. If I hadn't asked I would probably still be waiting for it now!

I give 2100 baht, start to Finnish 15 minutes for annual extension

and they know i do not want change

Never have nor never would give them anything especially the fat one who sits on the left. I try to avoid him and will wait for another officer if he is free.

I have been asked for a tip by him many times.

I'll give him a tip Smile more and lose some weight.

I have a couple of friends who have given up their retirement extension and would rather do visa runs than deal with this lot.

I year extension is only 1900bht you give them a 200 bht tip?. I have never tipped there and always get good service!!

Never have nor never would give them anything especially the fat one who sits on the left. I try to avoid him and will wait for another officer if he is free.

I have a couple of friends who have given up their retirement extension and would rather do visa runs than deal with this lot.

I don't understand any of this, I have never been asked for a tip and I have never given a tip!! always get good service.

How do the officers there ask for tips? I don't consider the 300 bht for a certificate residence a tip more a charge for the service!!

Edited by kawapower

I don't understand any of this, I have never been asked for a tip and I have never given a tip!! always get good service.

How do the officers there ask for tips? I don't consider the 300 bht for a certificate residence a tip more a charge for the service!!

All I can say is you have been very lucky then.

Usually by hunting around for change then saying mai mee small money.When you can see it there but I have been asked for money on 2 occasions

All I can say is you have been very lucky then.

Usually by hunting around for change then saying mai mee small money.When you can see it there but I have been asked for money on 2 occasions

Please explain how you were asked for money? 3 yrs and have never been asked for money other than for the certificate of residence!!

If it's retirement or married man's visa you have to deal with the creeps at the back. Their game is to make the farang get annoyed and (in their tiny minds) lose 'face'. I watched their performance while my wife was downstairs getting unneeded extra copies of pages from my passport. The first thing they do is fold over pages in your passport and tell you to get copies, if you query them they just wave you away in an ignorant manner. It's all designed to wind up the farang so that they can feel superior. They did this to an Aussie guy and an American while I was sitting there and then smirked at each other when the guys got angry.

The best way to deal with these lowlifes is to keep smiling and don't give them any money, they will keep you waiting an hour or two but in the end you will get what you came for. When you finally get your visa give them a nice wai while thanking them profusely, hold the wai until they wai you back, it really pisses them off. Remember to keep smiling!

<snip>

How do the officers there ask for tips?

They just straight ask my wife for 'lunch money'. You have to realise that it's very difficult for Thai people to be disrespectful to government officials.

I always go on my own and have never once had a problem, I always go with everything that is needed, I find it hard to believe so many people have so many problems here on Phuket!!

Amazing comment saying the so called creeps at the back!! these people probably have to Deal with miserable moaning falang everyday, who could blame them if it is true for getting there own back, never had a problem there because I just sit calmly, be very polite and do what they ask, I gave them 2000bht the last time, was handed back 100 bht by a smiling official!! can not see where all these problems are!!

Edited by kawapower

I year extension is only 1900bht you give them a 200 bht tip?. I have never tipped there and always get good service!!

OMG thanks for telling me Kenny i did not know even though it says 1900 in the immigration booklet

The certificate of residence was free when it was done upstairs

I needed 2 of the certificates last year and was charged 300 baht for both

You pay 300 baht for one so you do tip them

If it's retirement or married man's visa you have to deal with the creeps at the back. Their game is to make the farang get annoyed and (in their tiny minds) lose 'face'. I watched their performance while my wife was downstairs getting unneeded extra copies of pages from my passport. The first thing they do is fold over pages in your passport and tell you to get copies, if you query them they just wave you away in an ignorant manner. It's all designed to wind up the farang so that they can feel superior. They did this to an Aussie guy and an American while I was sitting there and then smirked at each other when the guys got angry.

The best way to deal with these lowlifes is to keep smiling and don't give them any money, they will keep you waiting an hour or two but in the end you will get what you came for. When you finally get your visa give them a nice wai while thanking them profusely, hold the wai until they wai you back, it really pisses them off. Remember to keep smiling!

Good advice mate it is the ones in the back row that are &lt;deleted&gt;

OMG thanks for telling me Kenny i did not know even though it says 1900 in the immigration booklet

No problem, so why did you give them 2100???

Are you having problems with your memory? you know it is 1900bht you give them 2100 bht and leave? lol cheesy.gif

Edited by kawapower

Good advice mate it is the ones in the back row that are &lt;deleted&gt;

Have you ever wondered why these so called people who sit in the back might or might not be &lt;deleted&gt;, it's because the people they deal with might or might not be bigger &lt;deleted&gt;!!