Phuket Immigration

Ping

<snip> I was surprised at how quickly the Captain worked as that is usually where the delays occur but he was exceptionally efficient.

He ??? Have they changed the Captain at Phuket Immigration.

I hadn't thought of that. But it was all signed off by a man and he even brought the completed passports over himself. Maybe a new Captain or perhaps a stand-in.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

If on the 1st day it was a no, then so be it, but to run around, not even get a chance to offer a tip, all was a bit strange from my previous experience dealing with them

So you're complaining he did not give you a chance to bribe him?

No, the officer instructed my to run around, change accounts and return the next day, i never mentioned a bribe, he never mentioned a bribe, the tip would have been a genuine tip to show my appreciation, i have never in 10 years bribed anyone in Thailand, my point if you would listen is they had me running around on his instructions all round Phuket, doing visa runs to Ranong, getting visa's in the UK, if the officer had of been truthful, a tip would have been the least of my worries.

So what do you do when everything in paperwork, documents, bank accounts etc is 100% and they just play funny buggers in immigration, i've know it to happen, just the other day, the guy in the end, took his daughter in of 6 years old, said you look after her because you've got me running around everywhere for days now, i can't look after her, it worked, but originally all his paperwork was 100%

You talk about bribes steven, do you enter girly bars with a bible in your hand, renouncing illegal prostitution, stop your fellow expat for drinking and driving, enter a police station or government building and talk about the corruption, have conversations with tuk tuk drivers ??????

If i give a tip for service anywhere in Thailand , do you see that as a bribe always steven

A tip of 1,000 Baht and complaining 'not even got a chance to offer a tip' sounds very much like a bribe to me, yes.

How can it be a bribe, i didn't get a retirement visa, the tip would have been giving after confirming i had it in my hand, the original post by me was to hi-light the officer given me instructions one day and me having to run around phuket like a mad man, then on the next day a denial by him, if he'd said no on the first day, then no is no, or if you insist i tried to bribe him, why didn't i do it on my first visit, as always you haven't listened. i don't indulge in criminal activity such as a bribe, it's a personal slur by you against my character. A foolish remark!!!!!

What about the guy who took his daughter with him as explained in my previous post, was he a blackmailer !!!!!

what does that make the officials in immigration if they can be bribed and blackmailed, who is the guilty party, i.e the coke dealer or the coke user????

Can anyone post the directive/ document that states which bank account is or is not acceptable in regards to the 800,000 baht for the retirement visa

I have my 800k lying in a fixed interest, renewable, one year account with SCB and it's been accepted for my past three retirement visa renewals.

I'm not sure what your “Fundbook” account is. But if it's an account in which it is possible that your capital could decrease then it makes sense that they would not accept it.

I have my 800k lying in a fixed interest, renewable, one year account with SCB and it's been accepted for my past three retirement visa renewals.

I'm not sure what your “Fundbook” account is. But if it's an account in which it is possible that your capital could decrease then it makes sense that they would not accept it.

Thanks, i've now moved my money into a new account with SCB, in fact it's more interest with the tax taken off then the Fund account which was tax free. The account i don't think was related to any markets directly, so the interest rate was fixed, but tax free, never decreased, i think the main reason is you have to give the bank notice to do money transfers from account to account.

in fact talking about interest, who's given the best interest returns regarding banks, i heard someone mention 13%, but that has to be impossible in a normal low risk bank account. oh and that immigration will except, please PM me if you know and don't want to make it public knowledge

13% interest in a Thai bank or any bank .... let me know that bank. SCB mutual fund paying 3.9% (tax paid) is the best I know.

I agree, a crazy figure, worldwide i don't think anyone is paying any figure close to anywhere near that, but thanks for the SCB mutual fund info, that won't be excepted at immigration towards a retirement visa as it's tied up i think

How can it be a bribe, i didn't get a retirement visa, the tip would have been giving after confirming i had it in my hand, the original post by me was to hi-light the officer given me instructions one day and me having to run around phuket like a mad man, then on the next day a denial by him, if he'd said no on the first day, then no is no, or if you insist i tried to bribe him, why didn't i do it on my first visit, as always you haven't listened. i don't indulge in criminal activity such as a bribe, it's a personal slur by you against my character. A foolish remark!!!!!

What about the guy who took his daughter with him as explained in my previous post, was he a blackmailer !!!!!

what does that make the officials in immigration if they can be bribed and blackmailed, who is the guilty party, i.e the coke dealer or the coke user????

Can anyone post the directive/ document that states which bank account is or is not acceptable in regards to the 800,000 baht for the retirement visa

Why do some people on TV always feel the need to insult others?

You gave your story here, I read it and came to a conclusion so asked you a question. Your answer did not sway me from my opinion, so you come back with all kinds of different insults? Really no reason for that.

But he, each to his own, just don't expect me to answer any of your insults or strange comparisons.

Edited by stevenl

Why do some people on TV always feel the need to insult others?

You gave your story here, I read it and came to a conclusion so asked you a question. Your answer did not sway me from my opinion, so you come back with all kinds of different insults? Really no reason for that.

But he, each to his own, just don't expect me to answer any of your insults or strange comparisons.

If it was a insult i'm sure the "MOD" would have getting involved, you did come to a conclusion, the wrong one, you mentioned bribe, not me "what question did you ask again please?????, no strange comparisons, a analogy that is equal to the situation, because both are illegal and a criminal offence.

To insult is to be rude or offensive, exactly what you did to say i tried to bribe.

Your right, no reason at all for insults, so as in previous threads and topics please stop!!!!!!

Edited by britpop

<snip>

i had a few thousand ready in my passport as a tip,

<snip>

If on the 1st day it was a no, then so be it, but to run around, not even get a chance to offer a tip, all was a bit strange from my previous experience dealing with them

Hum, that's a big "tip" for a 1,900 Baht visa extension... I've never tipped them anything ever and I've always got my extension without a problem.

Edited by Jimi007

<snip>

<snip>

Hum, that's a big "tip" for a 1,900 Baht visa extension... I've never tipped them anything ever and I've always got my extension without a problem.

Thats me generous to a fault, the run to ranong on 23rd was 1500baht, apply for a single O visa in the UK 50 pound + registered mail there and back, plus not so easy to get a O visa at some consulates, the hassle factor back in the UK, for 1000-2000baht, thats 15-30 pound to me as i brought my money over at 78-79 baht years ago, so before i pay for the retirement visa i've paid out nearly or more then 5000baht, if they'd excepted my fundbook last week i'd have saved that, so 1000 or 2000 baht tip is literally cheap at half the price, yes a genuine tip,i would have been delighted, nothing underhand, just i'd followed the officers instructions and they excepted my money had been in a Thai bank for years, Question for Steven, if a lawyer said don't worry pay me i'll get it done easy with the fund account , have i bribed the lawyer or paid a fee

<snip>

<snip>

Thats me generous to a fault, the run to ranong on 23rd was 1500baht, apply for a single O visa in the UK 50 pound + registered mail there and back, plus not so easy to get a O visa at some consulates, the hassle factor back in the UK, for 1000-2000baht, thats 15-30 pound to me as i brought my money over at 78-79 baht years ago, so before i pay for the retirement visa i've paid out nearly or more then 5000baht, if they'd excepted my fundbook last week i'd have saved that, so 1000 or 2000 baht tip is literally cheap at half the price, yes a genuine tip,i would have been delighted, nothing underhand, just i'd followed the officers instructions and they excepted my money had been in a Thai bank for years, Question for Steven, if a lawyer said don't worry pay me i'll get it done easy with the fund account , have i bribed the lawyer or paid a fee

Just act according to the rules and you'll be fine.

Yes, a few thousand.

Sounds like a "remember me next time I come here for my visa extension, make it quick and hassle-free and you'll get the same again" kind of a tip.

You could be right, but not a bribe, if your in a restaurant would you say you get better service next time if you leave a healthy tip, question why leave a tip anywhere????, because of the service that was better then expected, who leaves a tip for bad service???? , i've explained previously why i would leave a tip, the size of the tip it's relative to my disposable income and over all what i would have saved doing visa runs and renewing O visa's,

so a lawyer can do it for a fee, my savings account hasn't cleared the 60 day period, who's bending the rules, me for asking the lawyer, the lawyer for bending the rules via immigration or immigration allowing the rules to be bent.

A lot will say well if it's via a lawyer it's ok, but i'd be over paying the lawyer quite a bit, the lawyer will tip/ bribe immigration, now if i cut out the lawyer go straight to immigration, it's cheaper, quicker, but out of principle i'm following stevens advice just follow the rules and thats exactly what i was trying to do from the start.

So back to the UK to manage my properties over there, get a O visa, my 60 days will have cleared in my savings account by the time i get back, then convert into a retirement visa.

I know i'm somewhat skeptical, but i'd put money on it, immigration will find fault at the point of cross over to a retirement visa

Yes, a few thousand.

Sounds like a "remember me next time I come here for my visa extension, make it quick and hassle-free and you'll get the same again" kind of a tip.

You could be right, but not a bribe, if your in a restaurant would you say you get better service next time if you leave a healthy tip, question why leave a tip anywhere????, because of the service that was better then expected, who leaves a tip for bad service???? , i've explained previously why i would leave a tip, the size of the tip it's relative to my disposable income and over all what i would have saved doing visa runs and renewing O visa's,

so a lawyer can do it for a fee, my savings account hasn't cleared the 60 day period, who's bending the rules, me for asking the lawyer, the lawyer for bending the rules via immigration or immigration allowing the rules to be bent.

A lot will say well if it's via a lawyer it's ok, but i'd be over paying the lawyer quite a bit, the lawyer will tip/ bribe immigration, now if i cut out the lawyer go straight to immigration, it's cheaper, quicker, but out of principle i'm following stevens advice just follow the rules and thats exactly what i was trying to do from the start.

So back to the UK to manage my properties over there, get a O visa, my 60 days will have cleared in my savings account by the time i get back, then convert into a retirement visa.

I know i'm somewhat skeptical, but i'd put money on it, immigration will find fault at the point of cross over to a retirement visa

Why don't you just get an earnings statement from your embassy? Much less hassle than having the correct amount in the correct type of account for three months and no hassle at all with Thai immigration... Plus I would never tip a government official, it just doesn't seem right to me. I'm sure I'd be thrown in jail if I attempted that in my home country.

Edited by Jimi007

it's this blurred line between, i'll give you money and you do it for me(bribe), or you give my the money or i won't do it for you(extortion), i've always heard it's the latter more then the former.

again it's down to principal, i'll follow the O visa procedure to get my retirement visa, i wonder if i have the same outlook on tipping in immigration now, we'll see at my next visit!!!!!

I have never heard of or seen a Farang bribing tipping a government official before, at least not directly.

Why would anyone risk such a thing especially at Immigration? Basically you’ll probably get trapped tipping forever or get your ass deported back home for being an idiot or something.

I've always been under the assumption that the majority of people that go to immigration are tourists are they not?

IMO the IO’s don't care about your money, and they don’t especially care for Farang in general. They are just doing their job and taking the piss,why not? Have a complaint, have an excuse, take a number.

Most “retirees” probably know some of these IO's on a first name basis by know, and I’m sure they all know when and who to wai.gif when it comes down to actually having to do it.

off topic : Some guys I see actually wai.gif bar girls too. GEEZ.

I think I'll make a new thread about this topic soon, be interesting to hear what some people have to say for themselves.

Anyways,

I don’t know the procedure some of you have to go through, because I don’t have 800K cash stashed in my account, I am not married, don’t own a house, and defiantly not anywhere close to retirement age unfortunately.

IMO, anything having to do with the government here is a nightmare, especially if you have to do it yourself. You should find yourself a Thai sponsor that can do these things for you.

In regards to tipping respecting the IO's, it has always been my observation to give gift baskets in appreciation for their services. This is usually the case on special holidays a couple times out of the year, but defiantly not given by the Farang, though I could be wrong.

Edited by FlyByNights

KB

It has nothing to do about being about being defiant

Believe me I see and feel my age creeping up on me every day when I wake up in the mornings. Now that's a definite

Retirement must be great though! I cannot wait to be in a position where I have to keep myself busy in order not to get bored, and them not having to worry about money either. Honestly, I can't wait for that day to come. Unfortunately I still need to work and it sucks punching the clock.

I’m sure many here have paid their dues in life, and I guess working is the sacrifice some people have to make in order to have the entitlement of a retiree. I don't see age being an issue, and hopefully my post doesn’t convey that type of message. I apologize if it did.

I would love to switch places with some of the guys who are already retired. I must say many have done really well for themselves, and I doubt with the way things are going in this economy that I will ever be able to have the same financial independence as many retirees living here already.

In retrospect, this is the exact reason why I decided to live my life in LOS. Not to make a fortune, but to age gracefully in a completely different environment from back home. Too bad it’s getting so dangerous.

I really cannot say what happens at Immigration for I never go there, but there sure is a hell of a lot of people bitching about the place.

You can be "defiant" as much as you want about not being near retirement age, but, it's "definite" you will get there some day (barring accidents and illness).

Whoooooosh, straight over FlyByNights' head!!!

Edited by prophet01

<snip>

I really cannot say what happens at Immigration for I never go there, but there sure is a hell of a lot of people bitching about the place.

I wasn't bitching at all. I reopened this thread to post what a breeze it was to get my one year extension. From the time I arrived in the parking lot at the immigration office 'til the time I was driving out was less than 15 minutes. No problem whatsoever! The officer was very polite and efficient. And no, I didn't tip him...

Edited by Jimi007

<snip>

I wasn't bitching at all. I reopened this thread to post what a breeze it was to get my one year extension. From the time I arrived in the parking lot at the immigration office 'til the time I was driving out was less than 15 minutes. No problem whatsoever! The officer was very polite and efficient. And no, I didn't tip him...

That wasn't directed at you Jimi007, you been here long enough to know you don't go in there acting like a fool.

<snip>

That wasn't directed at you Jimi007, you been here long enough to know you don't go in there acting like a fool.

I know it wasn't... I was just sayin'

KB

It has nothing to do about being about being defiant

Believe me I see and feel my age creeping up on me every day when I wake up in the mornings. Now that's a definite

Retirement must be great though! I cannot wait to be in a position where I have to keep myself busy in order not to get bored, and them not having to worry about money either. Honestly, I can't wait for that day to come. Unfortunately I still need to work and it sucks punching the clock.

I’m sure many here have paid their dues in life, and I guess working is the sacrifice some people have to make in order to have the entitlement of a retiree. I don't see age being an issue, and hopefully my post doesn’t convey that type of message. I apologize if it did.

I would love to switch places with some of the guys who are already retired. I must say many have done really well for themselves, and I doubt with the way things are going in this economy that I will ever be able to have the same financial independence as many retirees living here already.

In retrospect, this is the exact reason why I decided to live my life in LOS. Not to make a fortune, but to age gracefully in a completely different environment from back home. Too bad it’s getting so dangerous.

I was the same, i never really went to immigration until i needed a retirement visa, no reason to, on the subject of retirement, at school they asked me what do you want to be when you leave school, i said retire, i would say 30 was the age where i never needed to work again biggrin.png