Phuket Immigration

Ping

If it's retirement or married man's visa you have to deal with the creeps at the back. Their game is to make the farang get annoyed and (in their tiny minds) lose 'face'. I watched their performance while my wife was downstairs getting unneeded extra copies of pages from my passport. The first thing they do is fold over pages in your passport and tell you to get copies, if you query them they just wave you away in an ignorant manner. It's all designed to wind up the farang so that they can feel superior. They did this to an Aussie guy and an American while I was sitting there and then smirked at each other when the guys got angry.

The best way to deal with these lowlifes is to keep smiling and don't give them any money, they will keep you waiting an hour or two but in the end you will get what you came for. When you finally get your visa give them a nice wai while thanking them profusely, hold the wai until they wai you back, it really pisses them off. Remember to keep smiling!

Good advice mate it is the ones in the back row that are <deleted>

Have you ever wondered why these so called people who sit in the back might or might not be <deleted>, it's because the people they deal with might or might not be bigger <deleted>!!

You are probably not asked for money because you have the minimum amount of money

in a Thai bank account for the minimum time required and they cannot be bothered

asking you, by the way the free copy of the will you wanted is now available why

not come and pick it up

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably not asked for money because you have the minimum amount of money

in a Thai bank account for the minimum time required and they cannot be bothered

asking you, by the way the free copy of the will you wanted is now available why

not come and pick it up

Well no I have a lot more than the mininum amount, anyway each to there own, ah great can you pm me where you live and I will pop over later, have to go to a mates now, his Thai wife has just run over there little dog ooooops!!! or I will give you a call when I am leaving the mates. cheers.

When in Immigration last week twiddling my thumbs waiting, a floorshow was provided.

Firstly an American nutcase came in and demanded a three month extension. When this was refused his voice went up to a volume that could be heard by everyone in the room and he started a mantra about how his country had provided assistance during the tsunami and the Bangkok floods, and numerous other things. He just sat there staring across the room and repeating his spiel over and over at a near shout.

The two guys on the front counter tried to ignore him for a while and served other customers around him. They eventually decided to take him across the the senior volunteer farang guy where he started his haranging again. The volunteer quickly lost patience with him and physically ejected through the front door. He continued for a while outside before eventually going.

Later, the Swiss Ambassador, her second in charge and the new Consul turned up to meet the senior immi guy. They stuck out like sore thumbs being clad in suits, pearls, high heels, etc. They milled around for a while for photo ops and presented as a cartoon version of civil servants!

They provided quite a contrast to the customers there!

When in Immigration last week twiddling my thumbs waiting, a floorshow was provided.

Firstly an American nutcase came in and demanded a three month extension. When this was refused his voice went up to a volume that could be heard by everyone in the room and he started a mantra about how his country had provided assistance during the tsunami and the Bangkok floods, and numerous other things. He just sat there staring across the room and repeating his spiel over and over at a near shout.

The two guys on the front counter tried to ignore him for a while and served other customers around him. They eventually decided to take him across the the senior volunteer farang guy where he started his haranging again. The volunteer quickly lost patience with him and physically ejected through the front door. He continued for a while outside before eventually going.

Later, the Swiss Ambassador, her second in charge and the new Consul turned up to meet the senior immi guy. They stuck out like sore thumbs being clad in suits, pearls, high heels, etc. They milled around for a while for photo ops and presented as a cartoon version of civil servants!

Great story, what is the point in losing your temper!! maybe the reason why I have never had a problem is because I am always the 1st there. I see nothing wrong in giving these officers a little tea money if they ask for it, not happened to me yet, if it does I will happily oblige as it is not worth getting upset about!!

Great story, what is the point in losing your temper!! maybe the reason why I have never had a problem is because I am always the 1st there. I see nothing wrong in giving these officers a little tea money if they ask for it, not happened to me yet, if it does I will happily oblige as it is not worth getting upset about!!

I didn't say the guy lost his temper, just that he was a nutcase. He was calmly sitting and staring while repeating his spiel in a very loud voice, over and over again. Creepy looking individual.

Why don't you mind giving them a bribe?

For what? Doing their job.

And Chainsaw is spot on I have known 3 immigration volunteers and some of the stories they have told me about the back row boys .Well I am not repeating them on here.

They winde the farang up BECAUSE THEY CAN. Simple as that.

And why should I brown nose these boys to get what I am already paying for.You are made to feel like a criminal half the time for asking for a legitimate visa.

I remember a few years ago when I was quite new over here I gave one of the front row officers quite an “extra amount”. And I remember that after I left the building and walking down the stairs he ran after me, I repeat, he left his seat and stopped me on the stairs outside, and demanded same amount for his superior. I have to admit that I complied at that time.

But as said before, that was a few years ago. Nowadays I just use the backstairs to get in and directly go to the back row officers, avoid him (yes, he is still there!) and just leave the change of THB 100 with them.

Edited by Rimmer
Font

I didn't say the guy lost his temper, just that he was a nutcase. He was calmly sitting and staring while repeating his spiel in a very loud voice, over and over again. Creepy looking individual.

Don't call me a nutcase, I was just stating my opinion. And, my skullet hairdo, bald all uptop and infront, but long in the back is the rage now, you obviously have no clue on fashion........

Don't call me a nutcase, I was just stating my opinion. And, my skullet hairdo, bald all uptop and infront, but long in the back is the rage now, you obviously have no clue on fashion........

Yes, looking at your avatar, it was you!

I never ever tip and have been using Phuket immigration for over 20 years

I got really pissed at a farang there last time that actually gave the guy 100 baht for his 90 day report, Told him he shouldn't do that an then immigration officer looked at me an smiled as he knows me.

couple of times for the 1 year extension they have not immediately given me back my 100 baht and i stand there with my hand out.

Note i have always been given good treatment and at times they have filed out my re entry permit application for me while i did the extension.

I got really pissed at a farang there last time that actually gave the guy 100 baht for his 90 day report, Told him he shouldn't do that an then immigration officer looked at me an smiled as he knows me.

couple of times for the 1 year extension they have not immediately given me back my 100 baht and i stand there with my hand out.

Note i have always been given good treatment and at times they have filed out my re entry permit application for me while i did the extension.

I have had the same experience as you over the last 3 years, never been asked for a tip and always take back any change, always been treated very well, some posters on here like to say things like the <deleted> who sit at the back, never once have I had cause to call them anything but good people doing a good job.

I have had the same experience as you over the last 3 years, never been asked for a tip and always take back any change, always been treated very well, some posters on here like to say things like the <deleted> who sit at the back, never once have I had cause to call them anything but good people doing a good job.

I've dealt with them once, and although I was as nice as I'm capable of being, they still lost my PP at the bottom of the pile for an inordinate amount of time.

The time before I slipped in 1000b to the fat guy at the left. I didn't do it this time. It didn't seem to make any difference. MIght have been because I knew what I was doing this time.

By the way, thank god for those "angels of mercy" volunteers who are always there to help.

I'd heard the Pucket office was under a new boss and the service was better. Last time I was there everything went without incident. Friend of mine was up in Chang Mai recently and said it was like night and day. The people in that office went out of their way to be helpful! The Phucket office experience is usually an indignity one suffers.

The time before I slipped in 1000b to the fat guy at the left. I didn't do it this time. It didn't seem to make any difference. MIght have been because I knew what I was doing this time.

By the way, thank god for those "angels of mercy" volunteers who are always there to help.

I'd heard the Pucket office was under a new boss and the service was better. Last time I was there everything went without incident. Friend of mine was up in Chang Mai recently and said it was like night and day. The people in that office went out of their way to be helpful! The Phucket office experience is usually an indignity one suffers.

You slipped him 1000bht and you knew what you was doing??? crazy!!

Asked a friend of mine if he had ever left a tip or been asked for one, answer no!!! the few times he has had to get a certificate of residence he paid nothing, he asked for a receipt which of course they would not provide hence he paid nothing!!

• 1 month later...

I went in today to do my one year extension. From the time I pulled into the parking lot until I pulled out was maybe 15 minutes. And no tip involved. I handed him 2,000 Baht, he handed me a receipt for 1,900 and a 100 Baht note. Then I waited a few minutes until the head officer signed my extension. Thanked him and he said thank you back.

I went in today to do my one year extension. From the time I pulled into the parking lot until I pulled out was maybe 15 minutes. And no tip involved. I handed him 2,000 Baht, he handed me a receipt for 1,900 and a 100 Baht note. Then I waited a few minutes until the head officer signed my extension. Thanked him and he said thank you back.

Office must have been very quiet today, usually takes me at least 15 minute in the queue, do the paperwork, and usually the worst part is the 30 minute wait for the Captain to check and countersign. And hour would be average for me (in January month)

Office must have been very quiet today, usually takes me at least 15 minute in the queue, do the paperwork, and usually the worst part is the 30 minute wait for the Captain to check and countersign. And hour would be average for me (in January month)

It was quiet. I arrived at 1:20 PM and was driving away by 1:35 PM. No queue, had my paperwork all filled out, and all my copies in my folder. I think it took him about 5 minutes to look at everything, stamp my passport and collect the fee. Then I had to sign every copied page and wait another few minutes for the Captain to sign. It was a my easiest and fastest time for an extension ever.

last week rolls up to immigration, everything neatly photocopied, bank book and bank letter, only to be told my money which i'd had in the same account for years was not acceptable, i had no idea that a "Fundbook" at the SC bank was any different and wouldn't be accepted. But the officer said take 800,000baht out and put it in my savings account and come back the following day, i presume because they could see the original Fundbook account was years old. Ah you've guest it, the same officer denied ever saying it, i had a few thousand ready in my passport as a tip, i said why would i have transferred money from accounts and get new letters from the bank then, my Thai partner was with me for both days and even she was baffled and annoyed with them, so i asked to speak to the new female Captain, i was very polite, but no joy , so there on the 23rd i had to do a visa run to Ranong and when i go to the UK in July somehow get a "O" visa, so when i come back the money will have cleared more then 60 days in my savings account.

The tourist police helpers in immigration are so helpful, but even they where stumped as to why i'd been mucked about so much. They said they'd never come up against it before.

If on the 1st day it was a no, then so be it, but to run around, not even get a chance to offer a tip, all was a bit strange from my previous experience dealing with them

<snip>

If on the 1st day it was a no, then so be it, but to run around, not even get a chance to offer a tip, all was a bit strange from my previous experience dealing with them

So you're complaining he did not give you a chance to bribe him?

<snip>

No, the officer instructed my to run around, change accounts and return the next day, i never mentioned a bribe, he never mentioned a bribe, the tip would have been a genuine tip to show my appreciation, i have never in 10 years bribed anyone in Thailand, my point if you would listen is they had me running around on his instructions all round Phuket, doing visa runs to Ranong, getting visa's in the UK, if the officer had of been truthful, a tip would have been the least of my worries.

So what do you do when everything in paperwork, documents, bank accounts etc is 100% and they just play funny buggers in immigration, i've know it to happen, just the other day, the guy in the end, took his daughter in of 6 years old, said you look after her because you've got me running around everywhere for days now, i can't look after her, it worked, but originally all his paperwork was 100%

You talk about bribes steven, do you enter girly bars with a bible in your hand, renouncing illegal prostitution, stop your fellow expat for drinking and driving, enter a police station or government building and talk about the corruption, have conversations with tuk tuk drivers ??????

If i give a tip for service anywhere in Thailand , do you see that as a bribe always steven

Edited by britpop

<snip>

No, the officer instructed my to run around, change accounts and return the next day, i never mentioned a bribe, he never mentioned a bribe, the tip would have been a genuine tip to show my appreciation, i have never in 10 years bribed anyone in Thailand, my point if you would listen is they had me running around on his instructions all round Phuket, doing visa runs to Ranong, getting visa's in the UK, if the officer had of been truthful, a tip would have been the least of my worries.

So what do you do when everything in paperwork, documents, bank accounts etc is 100% and they just play funny buggers in immigration, i've know it to happen, just the other day, the guy in the end, took his daughter in of 6 years old, said you look after her because you've got me running around everywhere for days now, i can't look after her, it worked, but originally all his paperwork was 100%

You talk about bribes steven, do you enter girly bars with a bible in your hand, renouncing illegal prostitution, stop your fellow expat for drinking and driving, enter a police station or government building and talk about the corruption, have conversations with tuk tuk drivers ??????

If i give a tip for service anywhere in Thailand , do you see that as a bribe always steven

A tip of 1,000 Baht and complaining 'not even got a chance to offer a tip' sounds very much like a bribe to me, yes.

I renewed last week, in and out in about 30 minutes for extension of stay and re-entry permit. I was surprised at how quickly the Captain worked as that is usually where the delays occur but he was exceptionally efficient.

Usual extra photocopies required and the fatter officer near the left was his usual miserable self.

There's one guy in the back row who I am sure always shuffles a few papers around to avoid seeing any customers. He's been the same every time I have been there.

They should really introduce a numbered ticket system in there as no one seems to know when to go forward. But I suppose with all the additional photocopying they always require then it might not work.

And finally, no tip paid. I have never tipped. Maybe that's why the fatter guy is always miserable and his mate never sees any customers when I turn up!

Why all this bother.......And having 800,000 tied up. Singapore and back in one day.

Drive to airport 8.30 am. Park car under fig tree in free car park, board Tiger Airways pre paid 3,500 baht. Watch Phuket disappear at 09.25, arr. Sing 12.00 local time, shop, gamble or swim, 'till dep. at 18.20. Arrive back 19,00. No paperwork No hassle. enter cool car and drive home.

• Like 1

Why all this bother.......And having 800,000 tied up. Singapore and back in one day.

That's one way of looking at it. That's Ok if you want to travel frequently, like every month if using VOA (visa on arrival) or every 3 months (multi entry non o or tourist with month extension). For me it's just an hour once a year, and yes a check-in every 90 days (usually takes 5 minutes) and I don't show anything in the bank, just proof of income. So all I'm saying it's horses for courses. Each to their own way of dealing with Thailand's immigration rules.

That's one way of looking at it. That's Ok if you want to travel frequently, like every month if using VOA (visa on arrival) or every 3 months (multi entry non o or tourist with month extension). For me it's just an hour once a year, and yes a check-in every 90 days (usually takes 5 minutes) and I don't show anything in the bank, just proof of income. So all I'm saying it's horses for courses. Each to their own way of dealing with Thailand's immigration rules.

VOA should read visa exempt entry.

VOA should read visa exempt entry.

Ok Steven, always thought it was VOA but I'll accept your VEE ... biggrin.png Let's just call it a stamp on arrival (SOA) without a pre-arranged visa.... thumbsup.gif

VOA does exist for other nationalities, so the distinction is important. SOA by the way in Dutch stands for Sexueel Overdraagbare Aandoening or in English Venerial Disease, so that is a nice one biggrin.png. But this may be something for a different thread.

Edited by stevenl