Royal Enfields

Bung

Do any of you bikers know if you can buy new (or old) Indian Enfields in Thailand?

I once emailed the factory with the same question and they said they are actually looking for dealers!

Any info would be appriciated, it would save trying to import one and it would be a lot nicer riding one of those around the village instead of the wifes wave.

Do any of you bikers know if you can buy new (or old) Indian Enfields in Thailand?

I once emailed the factory with the same question and they said they are actually looking for dealers!

Any info would be appriciated, it would save trying to import one and it would be a lot nicer riding one of those around the village instead of the wifes wave.

There used to be an indian enfield agent in Hatyai, I know a royal enfield dealer here in kilcoy, he looks after our 250 crusader sport and 350 bullet,used to have a constellation but a farmer reversed over it in Dalby, seen a few enfields in chiangrai,you can get them easy enough in Burma,Nignoy

There used to be an indian enfield agent in Hatyai, I know a royal enfield dealer here in kilcoy, he looks after our 250 crusader sport and 350 bullet,used to have a constellation but a farmer reversed over it in Dalby, seen a few enfields in chiangrai,you can get them easy enough in Burma,Nignoy

Thanks for the info. I would love to know if there is an agent in Hatyai!

kilcoy and Dalby...Are they in Burma? Any idea on how to get one out of Burma and into Thailand? Just ride it or can you drive in and pop one on the back of a pick up?? I would need a 500, they are slow enough as it is!

• 2 years later...

3 years after this thread was started, Royal Enfield (India) are still looking for a dealer in Thailand, so come on you entrepreneurs out there. This has to be a great business opportunity for someone....and besides, I want to buy one :ohttp://www.royalenfield.com/app/IN/Distributor.asp

geoffphuket

Royal Enfield, aint that where the Queen keeps her chickens??

Seriously, i had a 1951 350 bullet when i was 13, used to ride it round our orchard and the fields after the harvest was done, would love to have one here now the rains have started, with a mudplugger rear tyre it would be a lot better than going to the farm on my 1200 Yamaha,

Royal Enfield, aint that where the Queen keeps her chickens??

Seriously, i had a 1951 350 bullet when i was 13, used to ride it round our orchard and the fields after the harvest was done, would love to have one here now the rains have started, with a mudplugger rear tyre it would be a lot better than going to the farm on my 1200 Yamaha,

I'm sure you're not the only one....they'd sell like hot cakes

I do not get the appeal of a very antiquated design. The Enfield 500 was comparo-tested in the USA about five years ago, against the current 500 bikes, and it came in dead last for lots of reasons. But this is a different market.

Maybe it is the retro design. Honda had a CB500 and Yamaha had their SR singles. I also doubt they would sell like hotcakes , especially considering the Bonneville twin is now available again, and other 250 bikes are coming onto the market. But again, maybe I just do not get the appeal.

There are sooooooo many reasons not to buy a RE, not the least of which is Prince of Darkness electricals, puking fork seals, oil leaks, inability to run at highway speed, Flintstone brakes, and a CBR-150 will eat it alive at 1/3 the cost.

Nostalgia is nice but??

In any case they will not pass emissions regulations so import is impossible if one wants a clean green book

1/3rd the cost ??

I know in India they are cheap as chips. Easy to bring it in for 6 months at a time.

They dont make sense in a logical kind of way.. But people dont drive classic cars to get good gas mileage or high motorway speeds either.

I like that riding impression of the RE that RichardBKK gave us, perhaps written by Richard himself. In journalism, the following is considered "damning with faint praise": "The Enfield Bullet has been completely reliable. It's never failed to start, and nothing has dropped off." That has been the minimal industry standard long before Triumph deserved a hard death. It reminds me of Margaret critiquing an employee appraisal that said, "Sally has never forgotten her ID badge," by the remark, "That is a minimal requirement for employment!" :o My CBR150R is having starter problems after 53,600 km, not after 360 km.

You can buy nostalgia machines like the modern Yamaha SR400 and SR500 pretty cheaply.

Surely anybody who buys a Royal Enfield for speed or road performance is the greatest fool. It is not why people have a baby like this most people who have a bike like the Bullet Electra-X, have other motorcycles for regular riding.

Riding a Royal Enfield is fun, it is something for the weekend or when you surely not in a hurry. Similar to why people buy a Harley, personally I not take the Sportster out to ride downtown, depending on what the g/f take, I would probably take one of our other bikes or even the car.

The comments from Hog head about the Royal Enfield’s electronics is something I cannot understand, maybe it was that he was looking for fancy electronics and could not find it and therefore did not understand it. (Happens to the best of us).

For the other comments about “fork seals, oil leaks, inability to run at highway speed, and Flintstone brakes”, I can say that by experience. That the Royal Enfields I have seen are not having problems you describe. And what is “highway speed” as the maximum speed in Thailand is by law 90 km/h.

With the Flintstone brakes you probably mean the rear drum brake, disc brake on the rear wheel would look odd on a bike with the retro look. And second drum brakes produce better stopping power with the same power (try to construct a disc break without hydraulics); down side is that the heat of drum brakes can overheat (and in extreme case melt the aluminum).

With the speeds people ride there Enfield, I can ensure that the 280mm front disc brake with 2-piston caliper and the rear drum brake are ‘much’ more then needed. Just curious, how many pistons has the Honda CBR-150 in its 276mm front disc brake I belief that it was also 2-piston caliper?

Downside of buying a Royal Enfield is that they relative expensive, even so you can import them dirt-cheap from India. For the Thai system it is a 500cc and therefore you go for 40,000 to 60,000Baht registering fee. Also insurance is twice the price of a CBR-150R.

On the positive side the Enfield is easy to service, and is a heavy for people who like to do things themselves. Other then some motorcycles available in Thailand, the Enfield has no secrets, and all information is available in English.

There are sooooooo many reasons not to buy a RE, not the least of which is Prince of Darkness electricals, puking fork seals, oil leaks, inability to run at highway speed, Flintstone brakes, and a CBR-150 will eat it alive at 1/3 the cost.

Nostalgia is nice but??

In any case they will not pass emissions regulations so import is impossible if one wants a clean green book

Well, they're available in the UK, so if they can pass the emission tests there, they'll pass anywhere.

How many Cb 150,s could handle the overland journey from singapore to manchester, a 250cc RE Crusader did it no problem :D the only mechanical problem was a cracked gearbox cover, super glue and Araldite work wonders,numerous light bulbs and punctures, I inherited the bike, it is still running in Dalby Queensland, The older Enfields might not be pretty or hi tech but they are comfortable and reliable in any weather :o Nignoy

If i where going to do a long journey across vast terains and deserts with no back-up i would choose a magneto ignition bike, at least the only thing that goes wrong is the paper slip-ring seals get wet or the points close up, with an igniter box, unless you are a NASA technichian, you are totally [err] stuck!!

If i where going to do a long journey across vast terains and deserts with no back-up i would choose a magneto ignition bike, at least the only thing that goes wrong is the paper slip-ring seals get wet or the points close up, with an igniter box, unless you are a NASA technichian, you are totally [err] stuck!!
My father did the singapore to manchester trip in 1968 along with 3 other army mates , on ex wd . Don R. Bsa,s of which only 2 made it, I must have in herited his lunacy as well as his Bikes :D because I did the trip driving a Unimog 6 wheel drive bus years later :o Nignoy

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who used to service my bike in the UK was also a Royal Enfield dealer.

I liked the quirky retro look, but as I became friendlier with this guy he advised me never to consider buying one, the build quality is atrocious, and brand new bikes from the factory have many problems, loose nuts, dodgy carbs, engine problems etc.

Still, they do look nice.

Dodgy carburetors? What is the brand of your motorcycle carburetor, the Royal Enfield Electra-X came with a Mikuni CV carburetor (which is one of the most trusted names in the business)

I never had engine problems, and I mean never. The other issues, like loose nuts, I never experienced "loose" sometimes I need to tided a few nuts before going for a ride. But that is all what makes riding a Royal Enfield so special. The engine is so basic and simple that somebody with limited engine know-how can do most of the small repairs. Basically it beats everything, first get you hands dirty, wash them and ride like you just invented the motorcycle...

For people who not fall in love on first side, never buy a bike like this, as it is like a kid it needs attention it need a push now and then. But what a joy when you ride it. For anybody else, buy a cheaper Thai motorcycle (Honda Wave), which rides smoother, faster, and more economical.

The last para is perfect description... Like classic cars, like many things, these are things you need to have a feeling for to make up for thier very evident shortcomings..

I seem to remember they are dirt cheap in india.. Like a few hundred quid brand new..

They cheap in India, even over the border in Burma, but in Thailand it is a 500cc motorcycle and you pay for that. And I see the classic touch not as a shortcoming. And serious, if compared to others the Enfield Electra-X is like a tank, driving 90km/h I never need to go gear back or play the clutch. Taking all sorts of roads in the upper north of Thailand. Northing was a problem.

And by the way, I live in Bangkok. So Bangkok -> Chang Rai - touring around Chang Rai area -> Bangkok, without any problems

I seem to remember a road report about 2 years ago in The Classic Bike magazine (UK) that concluded with the statement that if you like retro bikes, you would be better to buy a 'real' older bike than this unreliable and badly made alternative.

Dave

This will be a endless discussion, probably similar to people who like Harley's and the ones who not. I rest my case, if you ever pass me on a Sunday around town, think why we have a day off. (likely not doing much out town riding, I hate the rain)