Thai Wildlife Officials To Visit Kenyan Parks

An absolute travesty. 300 'officials' going on holiday to 'learn' about game park management.

Here's an impressive list of Kenya's Parks most with abundant flora & fauna. Something Thailand's parks are somehow missing, especially in the fauna department

http://www.kilimanjaro.com/kenya/parkke.htm

Perhaps some of the more important bods going on this safari plan on enhancing their ivory and hide collections.

No doubt the Kenyans will be proud to show off their English language skills too.

Wonder if they have to pay 'farang entrance fees'? rolleyes.gif

Wherever they go in the world, Thais are Thais and everyone else, including locals, are farang. But having visited parks in Kenya, as non-residents they will be paying the "farang" price which ranges from USD15 - 80, more for multi-day trips to Mt Kenya.

Kenya Wildlife Service says about these fees "Entry fees are charged at all our national parks and reserves, where revenues are kept to support visitor services and facilities. Every time you visit a park or site you are investing in its future."

If the Thai park officials actually learn lessons they can bring back from Kenya then the 83000THB skimmed from Thai National Park gate fees to pay for each of these officials to go on their study tour (junket) should also be an investment in the future of Thai parks. I wonder how this will be monitored?

"Monitor, we don't need no stinkin monitor." smile.png

It's also my understanding, and I may be wrong, I am sometimes, that most of the National Parks in Kenya and elsewhere in Africa, were started by either the Brits, the French, the Germans, the Dutch and even with some help from the Americans. So, why not just go to the original source. Oh, I forgot where I was, TIT. Farangs are never right, only Thai's are right. Total BS.. coffee1.gif

It's also my understanding, and I may be wrong, I am sometimes, that most of the National Parks in Kenya and elsewhere in Africa, were started by either the Brits, the French, the Germans, the Dutch and even with some help from the Americans. So, why not just go to the original source. Oh, I forgot where I was, TIT. Farangs are never right, only Thai's are right. Total BS.. coffee1.gif

Because there is no wild life and forest left in UK, Franc or German.

Bagwan....Kenyan Buffalo's are intelligent unlike the officials going there. Lovely for them, I am just re-living the days I had in Massai Mara, Fig tree lodge, tree tops, Tanzania, Tsavo Nth and Sth. Go on holiday-and see it, BUT 300 to go to learn about wildlife management JOKE. if need be ONLY send park rangers for training in conservation and protection. P.M. you are responsible for a total waste of money. YOU should HALT the holiday.

I am very surprised this hasn't attracted more posters, maybe it's because of the trivial amount of money wasted OR it is a wise decision to send 300 persons, as one needs this amount of bodies to do the study ???? OR because nothing can be done to highlight the justification of it. It is a bare faced greedy government ploy to give a safari holiday to so many at the Thai peoples expense. Today my friend told me that his two sons going to high school 13-15 year old. cost him min 100 bht a day. that is one third of his daily wage. Now can posters tell me that Yingluck is wanting to help the poor..........DISGUSTING.

Because there is no wild life and forest left in UK, Franc or German.

"No wild life left in the U.K."? You obviously haven't been to some English cities after pub closing time at the weekends.

Now, that's really wildlife at its finest.

• Like 2

A classic Thai junket. Works out at 83000 THB per official. At that price, assuming Thais pay 30THB and farang 200THB each to enter a National Park, over 2700 Thais or over 400 farang would need to clear the gates to raise enough funds for each park official to go to Kenya. Next time you go to a National Park just remember what your entrance fee is paying for!

Despite being a wildlife photographer and ardent conservationist (working in Cambodia) I do not go to Thai national parks as I object to paying 10 times what a Thai does to enter. I have no problem paying more, double would be maybe even triple, but 10 times? I find it very insulting. It is a shame because I would be taking my Thai wife and son all the time if it was remotely reasonable.

This particular junket is a total waste of time and money.

Could this be the real reason for the Safari?

A fourth accomplice nabbed in connection with Marnus Steyl’s (alleged) bogus hunting safaris.

http://www.rhinocons...rostitute-case/

Smuggled rhino horns: The Thai connection

http://www.wildlife1...thai-connection

Local prostitutes conscripted by gangs to pose as hunters are at the centre of an alleged Southeast Asian smuggling network that South African authorities are scrambling to stop

• 3 months later...

A classic Thai junket. Works out at 83000 THB per official. At that price, assuming Thais pay 30THB and farang 200THB each to enter a National Park, over 2700 Thais or over 400 farang would need to clear the gates to raise enough funds for each park official to go to Kenya. Next time you go to a National Park just remember what your entrance fee is paying for!

300-500 Million Baht a year they are taking in and they haven't spent a satang, in over a dozen years at that income level, to improve the roads on one of the most visited and popular national parks, Koh Samet. ermm.gif

But yet, as you say... they can spend millions on a useless junket. bah.gif

Apparently a Half A Billion Baht A Year is insufficient due to increased park management expenses.

As of Oct. 1, entrance fees at national parks will go up by as much as 150% at those parks deemed popular.

At 29 National Parks in the top tier, Thais will be now paying 100 Baht and foreigners 500 baht.

Among the parks under the new rates are Doi Inthanond, Khao Yai, Sai Yok, Kaeng Krachan, Koh Chang, Phu Kradueng, and Similan.

Admission fees at the other 116 parks remain unchanged.

Edited by Buchholz

Bagwan....Kenyan Buffalo's are intelligent unlike the officials going there. Lovely for them, I am just re-living the days I had in Massai Mara, Fig tree lodge, tree tops, Tanzania, Tsavo Nth and Sth. Go on holiday-and see it, BUT 300 to go to learn about wildlife management JOKE. if need be ONLY send park rangers for training in conservation and protection. P.M. you are responsible for a total waste of money. YOU should HALT the holiday.

I did state that African buffalos are intelligent, cunning even. There is nothing more dangerous that a wounded buffalo. If is fairly common for a bull buffalo to repel attacks from a pride of lionesses.

P.S. Buffalo biltong is a real treat.

300-500 Million Baht a year they are taking in and they haven't spent a satang, in over a dozen years at that income level, to improve the roads on one of the most visited and popular national parks, Koh Samet. ermm.gif

But yet, as you say... they can spend millions on a useless junket. bah.gif

Apparently a Half A Billion Baht A Year is insufficient due to increased park management expenses.

As of Oct. 1, entrance fees at national parks will go up by as much as 150% at those parks deemed popular.

At 29 National Parks in the top tier, Thais will be now paying 100 Baht and foreigners 500 baht.

Among the parks under the new rates are Doi Inthanond, Khao Yai, Sai Yok, Kaeng Krachan, Koh Chang, Phu Kradueng, and Similan.

Admission fees at the other 116 parks remain unchanged.

Next time you go to these parks just remember you are (over)paying for the overindulgence of Thai National Park chiefs who went on "study tours" to Kenya learn how to manage Thai wildlife!! I wonder what else they got up to in Kenya, or on the journey there and back??

National Parks entrance fees raised nationwide

BANGKOK, 21 August 2012 (NNT) - The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation yesterday announced a major raise in entrance fees to 33 national parks across the country.

The department’s director-general Damrong Pidej said that due to a rapidly growing number of visitors, the department needed to implement new support strategies to fund the rising maintenance costs as well as to improve existing infrastructures and amenities in the country’s most frequented national parks.

Under the new rate, entrance fees for Thai nationals will increase by as much as 150%.

The admission fee for Thai adults will jump from 40 baht to 100 baht, while Thai children’s fees will increase from 20 baht to 50 baht.

Park entrance fees for foreign nationals will be raised from 400 baht to 500 baht, and from 200 baht to 300 baht for foreign children.

National parks affected by the new fees include Doi Inthanond in Chiang Mai, Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima, Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi, Sai Yok in Kanchanaburi, Phu Kradueng in Loei, Koh Chang and Koh Samet, and Lunta islands in Krabi.

The new rates will be effective from Oct 1 onwards.

Director of the National Parks Office Vithya Hongvienchan elaborated that in addition to each park’s annual budget of 10 million baht, the increase in admission fees is expected to generate overall revenue of up to 500 million baht, up from the current 300 million, per year for the Department.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-21 footer_n.gif

National Parks entrance fees raised nationwide

BANGKOK, 21 August 2012 (NNT) - The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation yesterday announced a major raise in entrance fees to 33 national parks across the country.

The department’s director-general Damrong Pidej said that due to a rapidly growing number of visitors, the department needed to implement new support strategies to fund the rising maintenance costs as well as to improve existing infrastructures and amenities in the country’s most frequented national parks.

Under the new rate, entrance fees for Thai nationals will increase by as much as 150%.

The admission fee for Thai adults will jump from 40 baht to 100 baht, while Thai children’s fees will increase from 20 baht to 50 baht.

Park entrance fees for foreign nationals will be raised from 400 baht to 500 baht, and from 200 baht to 300 baht for foreign children.

National parks affected by the new fees include Doi Inthanond in Chiang Mai, Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima, Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi, Sai Yok in Kanchanaburi, Phu Kradueng in Loei, Koh Chang and Koh Samet, and Lunta islands in Krabi.

The new rates will be effective from Oct 1 onwards.

Director of the National Parks Office Vithya Hongvienchan elaborated that in addition to each park’s annual budget of 10 million baht, the increase in admission fees is expected to generate overall revenue of up to 500 million baht, up from the current 300 million, per year for the Department.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-21 footer_n.gif

So what now might cost a Thai family 160 baht will soon cost 400 baht. I rather fancy vistor numbers will be down and with it revenue for those with retail outlets there.

As for the Thai experts going mobbed handed to Kenya I just hope the animals will have been duly warned and Professor Plod is nowhere in sight.

Edited by bigbamboo

• 3 weeks later...

This really is a bullsh!t joke...People are still without homes,clothes, medicines and articles needed for personal hygiene from the deluge of last season...What the hell do they expect to do this year ? Christ...Most of the flood prevention projects are not even started, let alone behind schedule. The PM needs to grow a pair and haul some people out on the carpet and truly, truly put a stop to the corruption here...But then she would be forced to give up her piece of the pie...! I am sure we all have a list of things that have a greater priority in this country than taking a vacation to Africa...I need to stop reading...Because the more I do, the more disgusted I get...Sorry a$$ government this is..Small wonder it doesn't implode.

I can't get the image of the PM literally growing a pair out of my mind. No doubt an entry in the Guiness Book of Records would be required. Maybe she could become a tourist attraction? If she doesn't like them as much as she thought she would then she is certainly in the right country to have them removed.

Next time I'll go visit a National Park in Kenya. I'd by very happy to pay an entrance fee there knowing my money will be used much more efficiently, instead of sponsoring the safari trip of a bunch of hiso.