Siam Commercial Bank Email

Just woke up to find an email from SCB saying that, due to an unexpected shutdown, some data and financial records have been lost. I'm invited to restore my by logging in again by clicking on a link in the email.

Anyone else get this? Is this a phishing scam?

Will, obviously, go to my branch later today before I attempt to log back in, but just want to see if any others have this, and know if it's kosher, or not.

Got an email yesterday from SCB warning against that exact type of email you received biggrin.png Just ignore it and delete it..

+1. The Email I got was from SCB and as kotsak already said, they are just warning everyone.

This is a screenshot of the email I got (only English Text copied)

Edited by MJCM

Yep definitely a scam, SCB sent out a real email recently telling customers that there are fake emails about. They say they will never send a link inviting customers to log in to their accounts by email. Any email that requests this IS a scam.

The email the OP refers to is a scam 100%. Don't follow any links from it and delete it.

Edited by Pomthai

Got an email yesterday from SCB warning against that exact type of email you received biggrin.png Just ignore it and delete it..

+1. The Email I got was from SCB and as kotsak already said, they are just warning everyone.

This is a screenshot of the email I got (only English Text copied)

Yes, that's the one I got.

Hopefully, this thread can warn a few others. Thanks, guys.

Likewise received email and subsequently logged in....

Account had been emptied 8 days previous of around 23,500 baht....

To date have got no where on the phone talking to these people. What starts off with a fluent English speaking Thai quickly degenerates into a " I dont understand".....

Am bailing out of this country after a long long time.......Its just one Ram after another..

A shocking way to end my association but I would suggest there will be many more to follow....

To date have got no where on the phone talking to these people. What starts off with a fluent English speaking Thai quickly degenerates into a " I dont understand".....

Am bailing out of this country after a long long time.......Its just one Ram after another..

A shocking way to end my association but I would suggest there will be many more to follow....

Question how can they transfer money out when they can Login in to your account ? To transfer to another Bank account via SCB you need first to add the Bank Account (if it's not added yet) and then to confirm this account the Bank sends you an OTP (One Time Password) to your Mobile Phone. If you don't activate the account via OTP you can't transfer money to it.

And a change of Phone Number is only possible with Passbook and Passport at a Branch

Edited by MJCM

Question how can they transfer money out when they can Login in to your account ? To transfer to another Bank account via SCB you need first to add the Bank Account (if it's not added yet) and then to confirm this account the Bank sends you an OTP (One Time Password) to your Mobile Phone. If you don't activate the account via OTP you can't transfer money to it.

And a change of Phone Number is only possible with Passbook and Passport at a Branch

You've lost me buddy ...??

Cash had/has disappeared for whatever reason and this email issue appears to be connected.......

I will update here as and when but notwithstanding have had enough of Thailand......

I've had 3 from 3 different banks. I've never opened any of them. Two of the accounts are almost never used, but the question is: How do they know who has an account at which bank and how do they get the email address. I have never communicated with any bank by email and I have no idea how they would have gotten my email address.

I still to this date don't understand how these types of scams are effective.

A bank will never email, call, fax or communicate with you ASKING for information, logins, passwords or anything. The only into you will ever get unsolicited from a bank are statements, offers or notices of hacking.

I still to this date don't understand how these types of scams are effective.

A bank will never email, call, fax or communicate with you ASKING for information, logins, passwords or anything. The only into you will ever get unsolicited from a bank are statements, offers or notices of hacking.

they are banking that a few people lapse in judgement just long enough to phish the login credentials.

There was a person on a local Thai forum complaining exactly about that. His account had been drained slowly by small money transfers to a third account that he had never authorized via OTP. When he asked the bank and challenged them about this, they simply shifted the blame to him telling him he was using a weak password or that he passed his password to another person, etc. The question of course went unanswered; how can someone transfer money witthout an OTP.. The bank told him who was the recipient but they could not withdraw the money without a court order..

There was a person on a local Thai forum complaining exactly about that. His account had been drained slowly by small money transfers to a third account that he had never authorized via OTP. When he asked the bank and challenged them about this, they simply shifted the blame to him telling him he was using a weak password or that he passed his password to another person, etc. The question of course went unanswered; how can someone transfer money witthout an OTP.. The bank told him who was the recipient but they could not withdraw the money without a court order..

Exactly.......

Too be honest I'm not even bothered any more (I should be)........

Its just a constant battle with these people in general and its sad to go but I'm going back to my past and spending time in Greece every year........

With their probable exit from the Euro it "might" just be the right time to set something up there......I will as always view this forum now and again and never say never but I've had enough of the constant bullshit......Sorry !!

Edited by Chivas

Just to alert you, there are Scam letters going around from a 'supposed' site pretending to be from Paypal. This is the second time this year this has happened, be warned.

Siam Commercial Bank is dreadful to deal with, I had an account there, I was a school teacher and had a work permit, I asked them if I could have a credit card, they asked to see my work permit, then told me "no problem" Shortly after, I got a phone call from them asking me to go to the bank and fill in something, I did that, they again said "no problem" and told me I would get my credit card in about two weeks.Having heard nothing from them after four weeks, I went to see them and they told me my application had been turned down, they did not have the decency to contact me. I had been with them for about five years.

I had an article about this exact phishing email in the Phuket Gazette two weeks ago. (It isn't online yet.)

Bottom line: if they tricked you, you're up the ol' creek without a paddle. Don't blame Thailand. It's the same way in Germany, per a recent court decision - the bank has no liability to refund your money.

How can small transfers be made without an OTOP? Very likely they used an ATM, which doesn't require an OTOP. It's easy to burn a fake ATM card, and you've given them the PIN.

This particular phish was very interesting to me because by the time I saw it, both Firefox and Chrome identified the site as a phishing site and wouldn't let you in. Internet Explorer 9, on the other hand, just merrily went ahead to the site.

This morning, a Gazette reader sent me a similar phishing email, this one from Alibaba. The phishing site, http://www.idlego.co...IMG/Alibaba.htm , is blocked by both Firefox and Chrome, but it is not blocked by Internet Explorer.

Clearly, FF and Chrome (which both use the same phishing database) are doing a much better job than IE at catching phishing, at least in this part of the world.

UPDATE: Looking back at the original phishing email I received, it was for logging on to SCB Easy, and did NOT phish for the PIN. Interesting. I'm not sure how they got the money out. Maybe there's a cooperating employee? Maybe social engineering - with your account number in hand, they went to the bank and faked your ID? If any of you have additional info, please let me know. This'll be a good addition to the Gazette series on phishing in Thailand...

Edited by woodyleonhard

How do they know who has an account at which bank and how do they get the email address. I have never communicated with any bank by email and I have no idea how they would have gotten my email address.

Indeed the bank do not have your email address, but the scammers apparently do.

Email addresses can be purchased in bulk from hackers who collect and sell them for a living. Or from unscrupulous businesses or people who make some extra money selling their customer, subscriber, follower etc. databases.

I can also imagine that sometimes they send the phishing emails randomly to lets say 250,000 addresses hoping that 10 or 20,000 of them have bank accounts with SCB.

I have received phishing mails from "banks" I have never dealt with.

Edited by Roel