Limit For Bank Account

If you wanna buy a condo for example you have to prove that the money came from abroad, but if you want to spend it on Booze and Women then No you don't need to prove anything.

Edited by MJCM

There is a limit of cash to bring or take from almost any country, and also it is hard to prove it came aboard if you have no evidence unless if you declare it.

The best is to have the money wire and then get a certificate from the bank that the money came from abroad and there are no limit to wire money to Thailand

maybe ( it's only my own think) if you put 1000000 baht in your bank account could some operator questioning you if you did not run any business related with bank account and even if money come by cash should be declared to the customs I don't know the international agreement between Thailand and other countries but on my arrival card it's mentioned a limit for cash currency, which over the limit should to be declared

I imagine that Uncle Sam would be very interested to know where the USD 330,000 in cash came from. That is an exceptionally large number of bills to be carrying, and must have raised a good few eyebrows when the cashier was asked to hand it over.

3,300 Benjamins in one pile?

I would guess that the OP is either a troll or trying to do something illegal.

There is no limit to the amount of funds you can bring into Thailand, regardless of how it's brought in although, if the purpose of the funds is to buy property, this needs to be declared to the bank (or Customs if cash) beforehand. THB 50k is the maximum amount of currency you can take out, without BOT approval. USD20k is the maximum you can wire transfer out, without BOT approval (NB: the banks act as the BOT agent in this respect).

There are no limits to the amount you can bring in, however there are limits on the amount you can take out of any country in cash.

I would think that depositing that amount in cash (providing you can get it through) with no business interests would also raise some serious questions.

Money laundering is taken very serious throughout the world these days and one may need some answers when dealing with that amount of cash. There is also the question of safety...wire transfer covers all the queries and is by far safer.

Edited by Tafia

The money coming in cash! A friend will bring me the money in cash (USD). Do I need to do anything before? The money is a present for me, I can not prove how I made them.

you are trusting a friend to bring that amount of money over for you ?

coffee1.gif

wink.png Bringing that sum of mpney at one time to Thailand will generate intense interest from the money laundering people in the U.S. if that is where it is coming from.

So you better have hard and fast legal source references for where the source of money came from in that case above/

If it is coming from the U/S.; then 'Thailand won't be your worry, the U.S. government will.

biggrin.png

everythingIssan, you are asking about the limit of a cash deposit into a bank account in Thailand without being able to explain the origin of the money.

One of the [Anti-Money Laundering] Act's key provisions requires banks and other financial institutions to report all cash transactions exceeding 2 million baht. This also includes property transactions, which must be reported if in excess of 5 million baht.

In the case of such transactions, the financial institutions must require their customers to provide a detailed record. This requirement is generally left to the practical discretion of the financial institution which must balance customer confidentiality concerns and compliance with the Act.

Source:http://www.siam-lega...in-thailand.php

Therefore, the answer to your question is that the limit is 2 million Baht.

Two things about this and US laws.

1: Any cash gift over $12,000 in one year must be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS.). The "tax man" for you non Americans.

2: Any amounts of $10,000 or more in total aggregate deposits in any foreign bank must be reported. Having $9,999 in 10 banks won't get you around this requirement.

everythingIssan, you are asking about the limit of a cash deposit into a bank account in Thailand without being able to explain the origin of the money.

One of the [Anti-Money Laundering] Act's key provisions requires banks and other financial institutions to report all cash transactions exceeding 2 million baht. This also includes property transactions, which must be reported if in excess of 5 million baht.

In the case of such transactions, the financial institutions must require their customers to provide a detailed record. This requirement is generally left to the practical discretion of the financial institution which must balance customer confidentiality concerns and compliance with the Act.

2 mill. is a reporting requirement (not a limit) that is discretionary upon banks and from experience is not enforced upon foriegners.

The money coming in cash! A friend will bring me the money in cash (USD). Do I need to do anything before? The money is a present for me, I can not prove how I made them.

I would say you are a load of B/S

I would say you are a load of B/S

In the sense that it is a gift perhaps but otherwise <deleted> right do you have or evidence for that

matter to make such a stupid comment?

Edited by LeftCoaster

All Thai Banks have to report any inward deposit or outward transaction of 20K USD or more to the BOT, although normally not a problem. Not being an American not sure how their Banks behave. I know if you bring maoney into Thailand from Pakistan the bank there slaps a 15% retention, that could be painfull.

Just keep in mind, that if you are from the US, the Obama administration has forced all countries who benefit from any sort of US aid, to report all deposits, and interest earning income to the IRS. It is a fascist policy, designed to control all Americans. So, consider this when it comes to banking here. Lately, some major banks have declared wealthy Americans to be radioactive, when it comes to banking, and the obligations imposed by the fascist Obama regime.

All Thai Banks have to report any inward deposit or outward transaction of 20K USD or more to the BOT, although normally not a problem. Not being an American not sure how their Banks behave. I know if you bring maoney into Thailand from Pakistan the bank there slaps a 15% retention, that could be painfull.

please no fairy tales such as rentention on money transfers denominated in a freely convertible currency from anywhere!

the Pakistani Rupee is not freely convertible, therefore can't be transferred to any other country and that's the reason why no bank can "slap".

Taking more than $10K US out of the USA (to any country) legally requires the bearer to inform US Customs .... which you can do at the airport.

Just keep in mind, that if you are from the US, the Obama administration has forced all countries who benefit from any sort of US aid, to report all deposits, and interest earning income to the IRS. It is a fascist policy, designed to control all Americans. So, consider this when it comes to banking here. Lately, some major banks have declared wealthy Americans to be radioactive, when it comes to banking, and the obligations imposed by the fascist Obama regime.

The part about Obama is not true. Hate him if you must, but at least hate him based upon fact and not conspiracy "theories."

However, American citizens are required to inform IRS of any foreign bank accounts .... but this has been in effect for many years before Obama took office.

Edited by HerbalEd

You can thank GWB for that, not Obama.

Do your research. The Patriot Act is what you're referring to for overseas banks with offices in USA or business relationship with American banks reporting requirements. This law was not put inplace under the Obama administration.

please no fairy tales such as rentention on money transfers denominated in a freely convertible currency from anywhere!

the Pakistani Rupee is not freely convertible, therefore can't be transferred to any other country and that's the reason why no bank can "slap".

BS No fairy tales, there are a few countries, some quite close to home and with fully convertable curencies, who have the same regulations but fortunately do not bother to enforce.

I imagine that Uncle Sam would be very interested to know where the USD 330,000 in cash came from. That is an exceptionally large number of bills to be carrying, and must have raised a good few eyebrows when the cashier was asked to hand it over.

3,300 Benjamins in one pile?

I would guess that the OP is either a troll or trying to do something illegal.

+1.. Too much cash to carry around.

The part about Obama is not true. Hate him if you must, but at least hate him based upon fact and not conspiracy "theories."

However, American citizens are required to inform IRS of any foreign bank accounts .... but this has been in effect for many years before Obama took office.

You are simply wrong. You give the man too much credit. I am a lifelong democrat, and I can call a fascist a fascist when I see one. So many of his policies are to the right of Bush. In retrospect Bush looks moderate in comparison to this goombah.