Interesting Doco My Thai Bride, Where Can I See It.

ShanePashen

I watched it the other night here in Canada on one of the documentary channels. I thought it was fairly good and well balanced story. The show didn't dig into the dirty part of the prostitution debate, but left it up to the audience to make up their own minds. The couple that were highlighted in the story each had their own valid perspectives. The UK man who thought he had been taken advantage of only had himself to blame for putting all his eggs in one basket. The woman just wanted a farm to work and survive on the proceeds from. I didn't see the man getting his hands dirty with the pig farm. He just sat back and let the woman do all the work. Maybe if he contributed more than just the finances it might have worked out better.But, maybe not. Who knows what goes on in the head of anyone. A simple look at the long term results of most marriages it's easy to see there is a risk involved. Over 50% of all western marriages end in divorce. Fortunately, if there are any assets then there is an equal settlement in the courts when it happens. Everyone knows that is not the case in settlements between farang and Thai marriages. Anyone who gambles on poor odds only has himself to blame if he loses.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought that rather than the ' She did me wrong ' documentaries that seem to be everywhere it might be good to show a foreigner who has obviously integrated well into Thailand . Lives happily with his family ect . Not many of us would have gone to extremes of living that he has but fair play to the guy . He's up there on the platform with the monks with a good message . There's more to life than getting rich !

The guy speaks Thai fairly well - I think this is the most important ingredient in integration. Also he talks of 'kwam sook" rather than "sanook" that the Pattaya guys talk about. The previous vdo of the guy who married his Thai teacher has a good chance of success. The ones that marry 'entertainment' girls have little chance. Many of these girls I have met, if not most, over the years actually refuse to teach their other halves Thai as they want them to remain clueless and separate from the world around them.

But did you see his Thai teacher, what would be the point!

Better to be tricked and robbed by a floozy, than trapped with a crone.

• Like 1

I watched it the other night here in Canada on one of the documentary channels. I thought it was fairly good and well balanced story. The show didn't dig into the dirty part of the prostitution debate, but left it up to the audience to make up their own minds. The couple that were highlighted in the story each had their own valid perspectives. The UK man who thought he had been taken advantage of only had himself to blame for putting all his eggs in one basket. The woman just wanted a farm to work and survive on the proceeds from. I didn't see the man getting his hands dirty with the pig farm. He just sat back and let the woman do all the work. Maybe if he contributed more than just the finances it might have worked out better.But, maybe not. Who knows what goes on in the head of anyone. A simple look at the long term results of most marriages it's easy to see there is a risk involved. Over 50% of all western marriages end in divorce. Fortunately, if there are any assets then there is an equal settlement in the courts when it happens. Everyone knows that is not the case in settlements between farang and Thai marriages. Anyone who gambles on poor odds only has himself to blame if he loses.

I beg to differ

Thai divorce assets are spilt 50/50 (including the children).

Western divorce woman usually get 100% house + 100% children + maintenance.

This is different in Thailand if you don't get married, donate to a gf and you get nothing (no such thing as common law wife in Thailand).

Thai law is actually very fair to men, Thai or foreigner. Western laws are very unfair to men.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• 1 month later...