Showers

jombom

Q1 Rainshowers;

Typically, what is the water consumption of a rainshower? Also what is the best value on the market? Sorry, I know both questions are imprecise --- just trying to find a realistic expection, as the marketing guys don't seem to know what a spec, actually is?

Q2 Temp safety on electric shower heaters;

Very few of the products on the market seem to have a 38 degree limit setting (basically body temp), which avoids young children and old folks scalding themselves. Personally my choice is a hardware switch, but the closest I have found is a programable unit (software). As children seem to be predestined to press buttons, my worry, is that some kid will change the safety setting.

Conclusion --- these are 2 different showers, not related in any way.

lol....gotta say rather a strange question re consumption...sort of like asking for specs on a lawn sprinkler .lol

Most heaters have a flow setting.

Why do you need to know...water usage would be based on water volume/pressure and the amount of time you spend in the shower no?

Rain showers are pretty and fun I suppose but the hand-helds are better for cleaning nooks and crannies..lol

Could always buy a plastic bucket and a hello kitty scoop?

Re the heaters...we have three and the water never gets hot enough to scald even though the temp setting is at max. If you buy lower wattage units you'll probably find it don't get hot enough even.

Think if tampering with settings by little hands is problem take off the control knob and put a blind grommet in the hole or mount the unit out of reach? Would stay away from electronic controls based on the KISS principle.

• Like 1

As far as the temp setting i agree that many times due to low pressure you will not get water hot enough to scald anyone. But a little research on your part, if you look up the models you are interested in on-line you may find that they have temp limits that you set using a internal switch or jumper that you put in position 1 or position 2. This will limit the units heat output assuming you have the pressure to get the water that hot in the first place. Good Luck.

As far as the temp setting i agree that many times due to low pressure you will not get water hot enough to scald anyone. But a little research on your part, if you look up the models you are interested in on-line you may find that they have temp limits that you set using a internal switch or jumper that you put in position 1 or position 2. This will limit the units heat output assuming you have the pressure to get the water that hot in the first place. Good Luck.

Okay gonna look at ours now you have said that...are these straps or switches current shunts or water bypasses?...guess I'd better google..

....to get real hot water I have to cut down the flow to a dribble and have to jump around to get wet...

Since the output temp is a function of input water temp I was even considering putting two in series plus a makeshift hose solar array.

in practise hardly ever use the heaters and with the current heat it is never cold enough to be refreshing!biggrin.png

Next time if there ever is one ,will try and find gas heaters

Thank you all for these helpful replies. Since I posted the queries, my research has continued, in the usual slow and patient (sometimes) way.

Re Q1; Have decided to purchase a rainshower and leave the existing shower spray and electric heater on a changeover valve. After 12 months experience I may revisit the issue.

Re Q2; Having checked the calculations, it appears a 3 KW heater is unlikely to scald.

Mods, you can close this thread at your convenience. Thank you.

The unit we chose for our master bath (shower head and handheld unit) were combined with a diverter valve. I love the rain shower and sometimes divert to the hand held for defying gravity. This set up was totally optional pending the shower heater unit. One thing I have noticed is that if you open it wide open, the temp is barely warm at all. The longer the water stays in the heating element unit (slower water) the warmer or even hotter you can do it. I have had friends come from stateside and as they are used to wide open, wasting copious amounts of water....they tell me my showers suck! That they don't even get warm...hmph! Oh well, go home and take a shower, eh? pg