Copycat Businesses

honoluludave

I hope you drive a Mercedes, because all other car manufacturer are just copycats

Silly and weak.

There are things that go into successful business setup that include ascertaining whether markets can support a new shop. Also, specifically with cars, many different manufactures significantly distinguish themselves from their competition by way of COST, FUNCTION, STYLE -- for example. I doubt the copycat coffee shop owners are doing anything at all different from the other businesses.

Next

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice this a lot.

On the way to Phitsanoluk there are 26 fruit shops. Yes ! 26.

A farang guy I know wanted to open a business in the village. i suggested a few new ideas that might work but his wife decided to open a noodle shop ! blink.png we already had 4. needless to say, its closed now.

Also I have noticed that thai's give up their ideas in a moment. you only have to go up to their stall in a market and tell them 'what a great idea, how do you make it or how is it done'. And they tell you !

My wife takes advantage of this and then opens something similar in the village. when the villagers ask tell her, ''what a great idea, how do you make it or how is it done', she won't tell them or tells them that it was my idea and they need to go ask me. End of conversation.

As one poster said, this definitely stems from their education where they are taught to stay in the box and don't think outside it. I have one idea that I know would do well in my town but I know the moment I try to do it, it will be copied a short time later. its frustrating. sad.png

It seems as well that in Thailand (at least as long as I have been here) people's tastes are rather fickle. Not so much unlike Americans in this regard (not to make them equal but just to illustrate a point here), but the difference that magnifies the obvious copycat nature is that in addition to people being risk adverse -- wait, truth be told, most probably know nothing of risk at all; In addition to people here being prone to copycat-ism, many businesses come and go in cycles. A few years back it was the coffee shops. Then with the ice cream shops and bakeries. Onto the mobile phone shops. Etc... What's more interesting is that there are so many but almost none ever actually excel in the business. 99% are just very mediocre to terrible copies of one another.

I hope you drive a Mercedes, because all other car manufacturer are just copycats

Silly and weak.

There are things that go into successful business setup that include ascertaining whether markets can support a new shop. Also, specifically with cars, many different manufactures significantly distinguish themselves from their competition by way of COST, FUNCTION, STYLE -- for example. I doubt the copycat coffee shop owners are doing anything at all different from the other businesses.

Next

OK, than take mobile phones and Computer. Half of them are western companies and copy from each other as much as the patent laws allow.

In my work with special hydraulic seals, all origins from 1 company and all others just copied, none of the copy cats have even one other product than the first company has. Not one single own development.

4 copy-cats in central Europe

1 or 2 in USA

1 in Australia

1 European with production in China

1 Chinese

1 Indian

so the majority of the copy cats are European.

Meaning: if someone sees (or actually believes) that a business can make really good money, adding 300 % on their costs, than someone tries to copy it.

Silly and weak.

Next

OK, than take mobile phones and Computer. Half of them are western companies and copy from each other as much as the patent laws allow.

In my work with special hydraulic seals, all origins from 1 company and all others just copied, none of the copy cats have even one other product than the first company has. Not one single own development.

4 copy-cats in central Europe

1 or 2 in USA

1 in Australia

1 European with production in China

1 Chinese

1 Indian

so the majority of the copy cats are European.

Meaning: if someone sees (or actually believes) that a business can make really good money, adding 300 % on their costs, than someone tries to copy it.

I know, I know. Yes, copying is not a uniquely Thai (or Asian) phenomena. However, I think the point that people are making is that Thais generally aren't even doing it well. How many copycat businesses you know of in Thailand that do well -- excluding CP-owned or Central Group-owned companies?

So, the new thread slogan is that (EDIT: MOST) Thais are EVEN poor copycats. Is that more accurate?

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry, I'm on the meds today because I had quite a rough one. Cheers, all.

Edited by xthAi76s

If you come to Kanchanaburi you'll sometimes find it difficult to see the river there are that many floating restaurants and disco rafts.

Whoever had the first one must have been on a nice little earner until hundreds of others noticed.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I was up there last week. Nice relaxing part of the world. thumbsup.gif . I did notice a heavy cluster of those floating barges along the river.

Have to keep in mind that in many cases all the same/similar stores in he same area are owned by the same person.

In MBK there are 5 glasses shops(optometrist) across all the levels, and all owned by the same person.

Funny though all have different prices for the same products and different service.

Basically if you do not buy from first one, there is more chance you will buy from one of other 4-5

That's true. Most of us wouldn't know they are owned by the same person and you might not like shop 1 so you go to shop 2 and get a better price, but the same people are still making the money.

Buying a suitcase there last week we looked at 5 or 6 places. All the same gear, all the same price. All the same colours.

Edited by BookMan

My Thai sister in law opened a Thai whiskey bar outside her house. just a bar selling the strong multi coloured Thai whiskey and she was doing very well by local standards. Within a week...............

Even worse that that in the shopping malls. They have the entire floor selling the same product, but this is not just a Thai thing works the same across Asia.

Ever visited one of those OTOP matket places?

My Thai sister in law opened a Thai whiskey bar outside her house. just a bar selling the strong multi coloured Thai whiskey and she was doing very well by local standards. Within a week...............

a free market would dictate that in this situation the one that did it best would triumph.

A friend of mine opened up a coffee and sandwich shop beside another enterprise that was offering a similar, but inferior service.

her prices were higher, the quality of her coffee and food were better, and, most importantly, her service was far superior in that she could serve 2-3 people in the time the competition took to serve 1.

she was able to do this because she was organised and actually took the time to observe the competition and determine where they were going wrong.

happy, well trained staff, an understanding of the product, customer relations, well-defined processes and quality control drove the competition out in a matter of months.

others have tried in the area and since failed.

• Like 1

The one that always does me is in Amphur Phon Khon Kaen on the Mittraparp Road. There must me 30 or more stalls selling exactly the same Isaan sausage. I usually stop at the one with the most enthusiaitically waving auntie trying to attract your attention.

seems that a lot of retailers/service providers are quite happy to sit on their hands , it is as though they have the shop front as a place to go to...is it apathy?.( with the exception of the more aggressive Indian touts of course.)

I always wonder why they don't die of boredom......

In any retail market you have all the produce/product vendors grouped together ...they are always there so I guess there is enough business to go around?

When you look around at the number of vendors or manufacturers of similar or identical products in the world you gotta wonder...everything from soup to nuts as they say.

As many posters have said it is all about product/service differentiation in order to make a buck....apparently not a concern in many instances?

On the way to the Bangkok Airport from Pattaya on Highway 7 there are rows and rows of shops selling the exact same fruit. On Sukumvit just before you get to Chonburi City there are rows and rows of shops selling the exact same candy concoctions

I asked the TG how can anyone make any money with everyone selling the same thing and her answer was If you are lucky you will make money

So I guess luck and not merchandising drives the train in Thailand

As someone else has already said - this is basic economics.

The ease of entry into a market pushes profits to 'normal' levels.

And that is why your probably see alot of copycat businesses in Thailand for enterprises where the barriers to entry are low, cause that is all a little guy can afford.

If you want excess producer suprluss, get into a business where the barriers to entry are alot higher, or, differentiate your product.

Free market at work. Most of the time, I love it.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

On the way to the Bangkok Airport from Pattaya on Highway 7 there are rows and rows of shops selling the exact same fruit. On Sukumvit just before you get to Chonburi City there are rows and rows of shops selling the exact same candy concoctions

Ah but you need that......when the passenger (TGF) sees food and must have food, it gives the driver a chance to safely pull in to the side and stop near a seller, as opposed to having one shop and near causing an accident with sudden braking and reversing a mile down the motorway with your hazzard lights flashing!!

In my town there seems to be 25 + Top Charoen shops and every new shop seems to be one but i never see any body in them , or do i need glasses?.

Many businesses appear to be based on the same business model. Not saying specifically about TC, but remember there are many businesses whose biggest problem is how to sanitize truckloads full of cash in order for it to be funneled into the legit economy.

As long as you have a way to fudge your raw-materials records then empty shops can be a very valuable resource, especially if it's relatively high-margin and brands can be counterfeited.

Even as a standalone enterprise outsourcing for others, 30%+ off the top is pretty normal for such services.

• Like 1

In my town there seems to be 25 + Top Charoen shops and every new shop seems to be one but i never see any body in them , or do i need glasses?.

Many businesses appear to be based on the same business model. Not saying specifically about TC, but remember there are many businesses whose biggest problem is how to sanitize truckloads full of cash in order for it to be funneled into the legit economy.

As long as you have a way to fudge your raw-materials records then empty shops can be a very valuable resource, especially if it's relatively high-margin and brands can be counterfeited.

Even as a standalone enterprise outsourcing for others, 30%+ off the top is pretty normal for such services.

similar to a certain restaurant i know of down a thai street that no farang would probably ever find

food looks to be aimed at farangs though

charges around 500+thb for the cheapest meal , always empty

looks more like a cash laundry than a legit business

Wife put in a milk shake stand in front of the house, within a month there were 8 milk shake stands in the village [400 houses] Never hurt her profits as we make farang milk shakes,[ what ever they are] Kids come from miles around to have a farang milk shake. Jim

Farang Milk Shakes. Great marketing!

Most important part of that definition is no ice, so you've got to pre-chill your milk or you end up having to use too much ice cream if you want it thick. (Aussies distinguish between a "thick shake" and an ordinary "milk shake", for us Yanks the latter is simply an abomination.

I make a mean one myself, haven't found good malt powder so use Milo in the chokshake.

But I'd have to charge at least B100 per to make more than 20% margin not counting labor, so don't think they'd fly in a low-rent location.

I do have a great idea for a street vendor business in hi-so and farang neighborhoods but it's too easy to copy and I might actually want to do it one day so lips are sealed 8-)

Most important part of that definition is no ice, so you've got to pre-chill your milk or you end up having to use too much ice cream if you want it thick. (Aussies distinguish between a "thick shake" and an ordinary "milk shake", for us Yanks the latter is simply an abomination.

I make a mean one myself, haven't found good malt powder so use Milo in the chokshake.

But I'd have to charge at least B100 per to make more than 20% margin not counting labor, so don't think they'd fly in a low-rent location.

I do have a great idea for a street vendor business in hi-so and farang neighborhoods but it's too easy to copy and I might actually want to do it one day so lips are sealed 8-)

Would have to say the wife's milk shakes bear no resemblance to a real milk shake, Powder milk and powdered cream, some flavoring, sprinkles and jelly. The Thai kids love them and think they are the real deal. Jim

If you have a tops near you... get Horlicks... great flavourr for Malts

Some of the tiny little markets you see like those located outside a Tesco or Big C that are actually organzied, will not allow people to sell the same thing. I think this makes a lot of sense. The markets I have seen like this seem to have every stand very busy. It makes a lot more sense to open a stall that sells something that the 4 stalls next to you are not selling...

Edited by farang000999

It's a very common thing in Asia I think. My boyfriend opened his bar on a little street where there were no bars and he was doing very well. Now one year later there are NINE bars on that little street and people aren't making as much money. Profits have slumped almost 50% - Kinda annoying.

It's not a Thai thing. I was working out of Talara, northern Peru for about a year supporting a seismic boat. One of the local crew decided to open a bar that did an awesome trade due to being favoured by the crew and not having any competition. After 6 months or so, another local who didn't work with the boat opened his bar and we had a choice! Within 2 more months, at least 6 more bars suddenly opened... just about the time that contract wrapped up and we sailed off to West Africa! I wonder how they are doing now?

Divers that have been here for a while will no doubt recall the shenanigens that occurred some years ago when a mickey-mouse hyperbaric company tried to Cuckoo an established foreign operation out of the nest.

I asked the TG how can anyone make any money with everyone selling the same thing and her answer was If you are lucky you will make money

So I guess luck and not merchandising drives the train in Thailand

Nong Mon market ?