Pick Up Tyres

Hope this is the right place to post this, if not please mods, move it where it needs to go.

Sadly it looks like I need 4 new tyres for my pick up - I bought a set a few years back that were badly set up - poorly balanced and not properly tracked - BF Goodrich (in fact they were even the wrong size! They should have been 10.5 inch rather than 8.5 inch)

Anyway they have worn really badly and need replacing before my MOT. T.O.R.

The BF Goodrichs cost 4.5K baht a few years back and when I went to price tyres today at Bquick and a couple of other places they are asking anything between 6K and 8K per Tyre!!!!

Any suggestions as to which ones are the best value for money? I am looking at (The cheapest - Yokohama - around 6K) BF Goodrich, Toyo, Hangkook - which tyres do you think offer the best value for money - 15" x 255 x 70.

I was a bit shocked as I expected to pick up the cheapo sets for about 3K a pop!

Why not look around for some s/h tyres, put new on the front and get the tracking ect checked and adjusted as ness,

Ive been using s/h tyres on the rear now for 2 years, first pair were 1000bht,lasted 12.000ks, just put another pair on, s/h Michelins, 2000bht, this is on a 06 hi rider Ranger, I get the tyre fitter to inflate them to max pressure, then check the sidewalls and tread pattern for any abnormalities, and dipped in a water bath to check for leaks, [also new valve fitted] then reduce to 28psi and fit to truck,

Its the cheapest way around your fix, but it really depends how you drive and what you carry in your truck, seems from your post that you are not too fussy as you say they fitted the wrong size and the balance was wrong,

Why not look around for some s/h tyres, put new on the front and get the tracking ect checked and adjusted as ness,

Ive been using s/h tyres on the rear now for 2 years, first pair were 1000bht,lasted 12.000ks, just put another pair on, s/h Michelins, 2000bht, this is on a 06 hi rider Ranger, I get the tyre fitter to inflate them to max pressure, then check the sidewalls and tread pattern for any abnormalities, and dipped in a water bath to check for leaks, [also new valve fitted] then reduce to 28psi and fit to truck,

Its the cheapest way around your fix, but it really depends how you drive and what you carry in your truck, seems from your post that you are not too fussy as you say they fitted the wrong size and the balance was wrong,

In this harsh climate I would be wary about S/H tyres that are out of date, it's not fun to have a tyre explode.

MikeOx, Ive heard Falken tyres are ok and reasonably priced.

Edited by Spoonman

Maxxis are pretty good value / performance if you don't mind not having a name brand. I replaced Michelins with Maxxis from Tyre Plus 18 months ago and found the Maxxis to have better grip and similar wear. I think the Maxxis tyres were around 3,500 baht each at the time.

• Like 1