Real Rent Prices In Phuket..

Maxwells

Hi there,

There are many people who plan to live a short/long periods in Phuket, and get the wrong impression on the rental prices from all those fancy websites, who do not include properties which many of us are actually looking for.

The most important advice is to go around on a bike and look at "For rent" signs, true, but people should know on what are they looking at so they can plan their trip based on actual numbers and not the "internet prices".

It would be great if the good people of this forum can share what type of property they are renting so we can all learn about the REAL rent prices in Phuket.

For example:

Type: house/condo/apartment

Size: 120 sqm

Br: 3

Bathrooms: 1

Garden: yes

Pool: yes/no/shared

walking distance to beach: 5 min/no

Internet connection available: yes

A/C: in all bedrooms/no

monthly rent: 12,000 baht

These are parameters which I personally find important but feel free to to add any additional information you find relevant.

This will help a lot of people for sure!

I don't really see how this can help, other than acting as a very loose guide, since there are so many variables: location (and this can vary even down to the differences soi by soi), age and quality of the building/fixtures/furnishings, inclusions/exclusions (maid service/cable/internet), etc. Yes, you will usually pay more for managed properties, but not always. Quite a few owners have had management companies and then have decided to do it themselves for the same price and keep the margin. Then there is the question of negotiation. You can usually negotiate with an owner, but management ccompanies are inflexible unless it is tied to length of contract - there may be some room for negotiation for long contracts.

The other point is that if there were a lot of takers here, it would end up like the (pinned) restaurants thread - with a need to wade through pages of information to hopefully find something akin to what you are looking for. You would need to have several different threads ordered by location to avoid this problem. Your idea is commendable, but the practicality of it is another matter.

Just my opinion - others may disagree. (Oh, and welcome to Thaivisa! thumbsup.gif )

the only thing that matters is

does it look like a thai house inside (crap wall color, crap kitchen, crap finishing materials and crap furniture added together with no sense of design)

Did the mattress cost less than 30k

Rest does not really matter that much

Unfortunately i have never seen anything for rent under 60k per month that had a no for these 2

2 examples (not mine) in Kamala:

Apartment, aircon in bedroom only, big LCD TV and decent internet connection included in rent, new Western furnishings, 7500 Baht/month

House no aircon (ceiling fans), new western furnishings inc LCD TV and cable, 2 large bedrooms, fair sized living room, big kitchen, 12000 Baht/month. Oh, and another similar house but with aircon in 1 bedroom, 13000 Baht/month.

When looking for a place, maybe 75% of the Thais I spoke to had $ signs in their eyes and were asking for an unreasonable "farang" price, even after negotiation. So I smiled politely and said goobye. Don't let this discourage you - that still leaves 25% of Thais who are willing to offer you the same price as they would a Thai local. Taking a Thai friend with you can help you secure a better deal.

When looking for a place, maybe 75% of the Thais I spoke to had $ signs in their eyes and were asking for an unreasonable "farang" price, even after negotiation. So I smiled politely and said goobye. Don't let this discourage you - that still leaves 25% of Thais who are willing to offer you the same price as they would a Thai local. Taking a Thai friend with you can help you secure a better deal.

Yes I agree. I just went through this and after a couple of days of encountering really silly prices, I found a few places that were well worth the rent. Newer 2bd house partially furnished, AC, Thai kitchen, quiet area for 10,000B/mo. No negotiation needed. I saw several worse places asking 15k. Probably not what the OP would be interested in though. Plenty of nicer places around than mine. Really the only way is to dedicate 2 or 3 days of driving around. When you think you found something nice, don't decide anything until you find at least 2 more. That way your chance of finding that gem increases. By then you will have an idea what things are actually going for that are in the style or price range you are interested in. Only way to do it I'm afraid.

My rental villa was put up for 50K/month.

I offered 35 and got it - brand new 3 bed room villa in Rawai vith own swimming pool and parking for 2 cars.

Land plot around 500 sqm - so not a cramped place either.

I did also offer 35K on other villas that was 45 - 55K/month and diden't get them.

Many af the other villas I still see them for rent after 1 year.

I refuse to pay over 35K/month and it took me 6 month to find a really good villa for that money - so be patient it can be done.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. I just went through this and after a couple of days of encountering really silly prices, I found a few places that were well worth the rent. Newer 2bd house partially furnished, AC, Thai kitchen, quiet area for 10,000B/mo. No negotiation needed. I saw several worse places asking 15k. Probably not what the OP would be interested in though. Plenty of nicer places around than mine. Really the only way is to dedicate 2 or 3 days of driving around. When you think you found something nice, don't decide anything until you find at least 2 more. That way your chance of finding that gem increases. By then you will have an idea what things are actually going for that are in the style or price range you are interested in. Only way to do it I'm afraid.

feel frre to PM me with any gem rentals that you may have seen,

Now low season and i'm in the market for a better long term rental than I have now.

Family home wanted, not a pool villa,

In Rawai area now but can relocate no problem if the house is Nice,

If i see one more overpriced over furnished crappy kitchen pool villa house's im gonna SCREAM..

we pay 25k now for a big house with big enclosed land but near noisy, soi dog road is the only downfall

and I think we can find someplace cheaper as well.

Cheers

It would be nice to have a pinned renters advice page,

in each area forum so as to not be suckerd into a sponsored link and end up overpaying for a Rental.

Classafieds on here and the web have been no help to me at all.

Edited by glassdude007

Some more factors to think about in regards to price. An old crappy building next to the Mosque and having a lot of ambient noise 24/7 would sure rent for less than the same size old crappy building in a quiet area with an ocean view.

A few more factors to think about that often get overlooked:

Age of building

Neighbour proximity

Number of open fires started by neighbours around you.

Proximity to Mosque

Night time noise from road/soi dogs/partying/karaoke/neighbours

View

Politeness/thoughtfulness of neighbours

Quality of electric-don't need to get electrocuted

Odour/amount of trash strewn around the immediate vicinity

etc. etc.

• Like 2

Driving/riding up and down sois in your desired location is the only thing that's really worked for me! Shouldn't take 6 months though... Mine: 2 aircon bedrooms; huge aircon loft; full western kitchen; 2 bathrooms really bright and large, one with whirlpool tub and boiler; 8m accordion glass wall opening to 4m x 10m oxygenated pool, all on 1.5 rai of lovely landscaped yard with real bermuda grass and a view of Chalong bay. Gardener and pool guy included: 25,000 baht/m.

again from what i see on websites. Western furniture/Western kitchens and beautiful usualy means, 'bought at tesco and looks like shizzle'

No doubt. Most people don't have much taste when it comes to renting out their places.

But from a landlord's perspective, unless you're charging n big amount for a deposit to cover destruction of high quality furniture and fixtures, there's not much point in providing really nice stuff. Of course you won't find many tenants willing to put up 300K for a security deposit either.

However there should be a happy middle ground which there usually isn't.

what i meant is those thread where people describe their 'gems' for X baht per month and say "dood i have a super hot western kitchen with amazing western furniture and AC' is completely inaccurate and we should just post pictures instead because most of the time they have a house with 3 small concrete rooms(no paint on the wall) a hard couch with a plastic tv stand and a CRT tv from tesco, 2 4000 baht mattress and 1000baht bed frame, 1 dresser that was on sale and a pink/green or yellow bathroom. The A/C's will be from the coldwar. If you're lucky the fridge will be chest tall and hold half a cooked chicken and it'll be next to a cheap gas cooker on the floor.

They all lie even about houses they rent.

I know there's an inactive member on this forum who rents 3 houses and he has high quality fitting, decorations and furniture. I rented from him before and the whole house had more than a million baht of extra teak wood on it. Top of the line electronics/washing machine etc. Everything convenient and comfortable. His houses are quite large and he rents them from 20k to 40k depending on which. Do not need a big deposit, he just makes sure he's not renting it to a raving psycho or sexpats beforehand and usualy a normal person will be careful one they get a fair deal on a very nice house.

Edited by Hostile17

what i meant is those thread where people describe their 'gems' for X baht per month and say "dood i have a super hot western kitchen with amazing western furniture and AC' is completely inaccurate and we should just post pictures instead because most of the time they have a house with 3 small concrete rooms(no paint on the wall) a hard couch with a plastic tv stand and a CRT tv from tesco, 2 4000 baht mattress and 1000baht bed frame, 1 dresser that was on sale and a pink/green or yellow bathroom. The A/C's will be from the coldwar. If you're lucky the fridge will be chest tall and hold half a cooked chicken and it'll be next to a cheap gas cooker on the floor.

Yeah i do agree with most of that. However there is a big price difference in renting a place in the above style for 5-10k per month and the expat rentals that generally start at 20k plus. Some people are happy with only a bed and a TV.

meh if you look at the major rental site, the crap they put in 20k houses are basically the same as in the cheaper ones, except the color looks a bit better.

personally everytime i went to see a villa for 30-50k, the beds were worth 1000baht maybe 20years ago. In 4 years of rental in phuket i found 1 decent house and it was from said guy. I lost it and after that i looked for months everyday and was stuck in one of those cheap 15k house.. found many villas for 30k but as i said they were all unconfortable so i had to stay in the ugly house with a good expensive bed in a good area.

While in bangkok, almost single condo is trendy and comfy. For 14k i had a 65sqm 1 bedroom with brand new extremely comfy and stylish furniture, real kitchen with a real large fridge, nice laundry, sex in the city style walk in closet etc. etc. Carpets, paintings, sculptures..

My own house looks like t his too.. i guess thais and retired foreigners are just not proud peoplle, they're rather live in filth and show a nice front garden

meh if you look at the major rental site, the crap they put in 20k houses are basically the same as in the cheaper ones, except the color looks a bit better.

personally everytime i went to see a villa for 30-50k, the beds were worth 1000baht maybe 20years ago. In 4 years of rental in phuket i found 1 decent house and it was from said guy. I lost it and after that i looked for months everyday and was stuck in one of those cheap 15k house.. found many villas for 30k but as i said they were all unconfortable so i had to stay in the ugly house with a good expensive bed in a good area.

While in bangkok, almost single condo is trendy and comfy. For 14k i had a 65sqm 1 bedroom with brand new extremely comfy and stylish furniture, real kitchen with a real large fridge, nice laundry, sex in the city style walk in closet etc. etc. Carpets, paintings, sculptures..

My own house looks like t his too.. i guess thais and retired foreigners are just not proud peoplle, they're rather live in filth and show a nice front garden

Rent unfurnished. Furnish yourself. Hardly rocket science!

• Like 1

So now 'I don't like the furniture style' equals 'living in filth'.

Don't you know that Bangkok is a cheaper place to live than Phuket? Makes your comparison rather silly, Mr Hostile. And your comments about "living in filth" would suggest that you will be winning a free vacation from this forum very soon.

So now 'I don't like the furniture style' equals 'living in filth'.

I just wonder exactly how many local Thai or retired Expat houses he's actually been inside.........whistling.gif

The problem is that most people don't know how or where to find well priced housing, for 18k a month I could get you a 1 bed apartment with all teak furniture and flooring, security, infinity swimming pool and in one of the most expensive areas of Phuket.

For 3.5k baht i could also get you a 1 bed apartment with a roller shutter front door about 500m from the beach.

You definitely do not need to spend 30k+ to get high standard western accomodation unless you dont know what you are doing. I dont even work in real estate...

The problem is that most people don't know how or where to find well priced housing, for 18k a month I could get you a 1 bed apartment with all teak furniture and flooring, security, infinity swimming pool and in one of the most expensive areas of Phuket.

For 3.5k baht i could also get you a 1 bed apartment with a roller shutter front door about 500m from the beach.

You definitely do not need to spend 30k+ to get high standard western accomodation unless you dont know what you are doing. I dont even work in real estate...

Do you know of any family homes to rent as per above?

2-3 bedroom 20k-25k would be nice..