Please ... I Need Your Help

NicSmith

I have regularly read this forum for hints and tips but never posted as I'm just a keen tourist.

After numerous holidays to Bangkok and Chiang Mai we finally took the plunge and bought some lovely teak furniture, now here begins the tale, we ordered a 5 piece set from Royal Thai Handicraft Center Co. Ltd, Ratchaburi 70130 on 29 December 2011 with a delivery date to France estimated for 3 1/2 months later. Initially our e-mails were responded too but as of late (the last month) we have e-mailed on 4 seperate occasions to find out when delivery is expected and are getting no response.

Has anybody had dealings with this company? are they still in business? Is this level of customer service normal?

Our next line of attack, is to phone but I don't think we will get very far.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicola

Agreed. Thai companies can be remiss on email responses so pick up the phone. Even if you don't achieve much on the first ringaround, at least you will know if they are still trading.

With a purchase date just before the New Year and email responses as recent as April (?), they should have been able to give you shipping information no? I would have thought it would have been on the boat by now and you would be dealing with the shipping company.

Send an enquiry from a new email address claiming to be a new customer. If they respond while continuing to ignore your original enquiries you can assume you've been had.

MODS: I have no idea why this font is so small!

Edited by sbk
fixed font
  • Like 1

Have you paid in full ??

Regardless...no doubt you paid sizable deposit....if its not goodbye....it'll be crap furniture that arrives.

When we first moved here, I bought some custom made teak furniture, namely a bed and bedside drawers.

We went to the factory to checkup on the build...all ok thus far.....when it was delivered it was crap...absolutley....we had paid deposit and refused to pay balance.....they came to take the furniture back, we blocked the driveway until they refunded in full.....they kept trying to refund on a portion of it....we did not budge, eventually when they complained of not having cash and that they will load the furniture and go to an atm to get the cash....we told them to 'f' off....they came back later with the cash in full and we let them take the crap back.

• Like 1

Have you paid in full ??

Regardless...no doubt you paid sizable deposit....if its not goodbye....it'll be crap furniture that arrives.

When we first moved here, I bought some custom made teak furniture, namely a bed and bedside drawers.

We went to the factory to checkup on the build...all ok thus far.....when it was delivered it was crap...absolutley....we had paid deposit and refused to pay balance.....they came to take the furniture back, we blocked the driveway until they refunded in full.....they kept trying to refund on a portion of it....we did not budge, eventually when they complained of not having cash and that they will load the furniture and go to an atm to get the cash....we told them to 'f' off....they came back later with the cash in full and we let them take the crap back.

Is this the same furniture company that the OP is doing business with? If so, the OP may have some concerns. If not, your information and experience is totally irrelevant and will only serve to make the OP more anxious.

Have you paid in full ??

Is this the same furniture company that the OP is doing business with? If so, the OP may have some concerns. If not, your information and experience is totally irrelevant and will only serve to make the OP more anxious.

Speaking from first hand experience re ordered teak furniture....somewhat relevant.....how about your experience with such ??

Is it this place?

http://www.royalthairtc.com/history.php

They seem legit enough and I would guess that they have shipped it by now; waiting for a full container prior to shipping; can't be bothered to read and reply to emails. Often when a Thai believes that something is done / closed, they will not be interested in speaking with you further so give them a call to check. As for the quality, well, the smart thing is to be here to check final finished product and ship yourself prior to paying for it.

Is it this place?

http://www.royalthai...com/history.php

They seem legit enough and I would guess that they have shipped it by now; waiting for a full container prior to shipping; can't be bothered to read and reply to emails. Often when a Thai believes that something is done / closed, they will not be interested in speaking with you further so give them a call to check. As for the quality, well, the smart thing is to be here to check final finished product and ship yourself prior to paying for it.

I bought a Bar from them about 6 years ago, the quality was excellent and the piece arrived about 2 weeks late (in Thailand) so all in all I was satisfied with their service.

The problem with so many Thais - even those in business- is that they are reluctant to correspond in English for fear of embarrassing themselves with bad English. I know it is silly, but that's the way they are. Ditto, for phone calls in English.

Just a thought, Is there any way you can track down a Thai and get him/her to make the call for you? How about your local Thai restaurant? You never know.

From what others are saying, it sounds like a legit business and you should be OK.

Good luck.

Totally off topic, but I don't think there is much teak left in the world, likely illegally smuggled from a neighboring country. Much more responsible to purchase products made from renewable resources.

Plus I've had friend had very bad experiences with tropically manufactured furniture shipped to colder climates, lots of spitting when it encounters drier cool conditions.

But best of luck with yours though. . .

Totally off topic, but I don't think there is much teak left in the world, likely illegally smuggled from a neighboring country. Much more responsible to purchase products made from renewable resources.

Plus I've had friend had very bad experiences with tropically manufactured furniture shipped to colder climates, lots of spitting when it encounters drier cool conditions.

But best of luck with yours though. . .

A few years ago I was in koh lak, just after the Sunarmie, Indonesia sent some teak planks to make coffins from the wood, it was to thick so they made furniture, We called the company that was doing it ,Thai kia.

Edited by Thongkorn

Thank you for everybodies help .... we have tried telephoning and are still getting no response so have not put it in the hands of our credit card company.

You say nobody picked up the phone, or the response from the person was Nada?

Surely there must be a member here living in Ratchaburi, who can confirm if this company is still operating.

Isn't Teak officially listed as a protected species? There is supposed to be some sort of official certification on the wood. One can probably get around the paperwork if the furniture stays in Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised if the paperwork had to be done on teak for export.

Perhaps the delay is due to obtaining export permits. As well, the EU does verify the paperwork on the import of protected species.

Edited by geriatrickid

Thank you for everybodies help .... we have tried telephoning and are still getting no response so have not put it in the hands of our credit card company.

What happened when you phoned? did someone answer or not?

Wonder what 'no response' means in some countries ??

Is this the place not far from Damnoen Floating markets? From all accounts they are up and running and the top salesman there is a person who speaks very good English(maybe the break down is in the office )

I am there on a regular basis with friends who visit from Aus.Probably next visit around end of June.So if you are still having a problem around mid June PM me and I will do what I can to make further enquiries.I will ensure one of my Thai sister-in-laws is with me to give me a hand should there be a "communication break-down".

Isn't Teak officially listed as a protected species? There is supposed to be some sort of official certification on the wood. One can probably get around the paperwork if the furniture stays in Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised if the paperwork had to be done on teak for export.

Perhaps the delay is due to obtaining export permits. As well, the EU does verify the paperwork on the import of protected species.

It is, and most teak come from plantations.

The cruise (ships) industry alone, probably purchase 10 000s of meters per year, with teak planks.

sorry for the confusion ... just to clarify as I am all fingers and thumbs ... we have rung 2 telephone numbers, one answers and cuts off after a brief automatic message, the other rings engaged all the time. It is now in the hands of our credit card company. Thank you for everybodies help.

Racist posts degrading Thais have been removed, as have responses to those posts.

Forum rules

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais

NicSmith, PM me your email and we can exchange details and Ill get my GF to call or go out there and see what situation is.

happy to help as i know these situation are vexing to the soul...

Just dont shoot the bearer of bad news if indeed is it bad.

Cheers Monty

Initially our e-mails were responded too but as of late (the last month) we have e-mailed on 4 seperate occasions to find out when delivery is expected and are getting no response.

Is this level of customer service normal?

No it's not normal, i am surprised they bothered to reply to your initial e-mails