British Passport Renewal - International Banker'S Draft Help

I'm just about to send off my application for my passport renewal, I was wondering if I needed to get 2 International Banker's Drafts - 1 for the application and 1 for the return DHL courier fees? Or should I get 1 single draft for both payments? Any experiences?

And 1 more thing, is it possible to get an Intl bankers draft at any branch of any bank?

Thanks in advance!

MD

Edited by MaiDong

Not sure about the Banker's Draft method of payment. If you can pay with credit card it is easier, as they just deduct the costs in Hong Kong and send you back a receipt. Took 23 days to get the passport back from the day I sent it by DHL.

Thanks for your reply, yes I'm going to use my card, save the hassle smile.png

The British Embassy tells you the price for the return courier fees- include that in one draft with the passport fees.

I went to the head office of Bangkok Bank , a few minutes walk from Saladaeng underground station in Bangkok. Very conveniently there's a DHL courier office within a minute's walk from there in the United building to post the draft.

Not sure about the Banker's Draft method of payment. If you can pay with credit card it is easier, as they just deduct the costs in Hong Kong and send you back a receipt. Took 23 days to get the passport back from the day I sent it by DHL.

How does one arrange DHL sending ? please advice

How does one arrange DHL sending ? please advice

Just visit any DHL office, fill out the form and pay the money!

• 3 weeks later...

Passport arrived this morning! From sending the application on the 17th of May it took 22 days to arrive at my door by DHL, and that includes the 2 bank holidays for the jubilee, not bad for just over B9,000 in total sad.png

I sent the application using Thai post EMS which cost B550 and arrived in HK the next day, payment was taken 2 or 3 days after that.

Edited by MaiDong
  • Like 1

Does it have to be my credit card as I only have debit cards and a KBank instant online card?

Quote from `Notes for FORM C1`.

`We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted.`

I have a credit card issued by my Thai bank & all expenses incurred from the card usage in any currency other than Thai Baht are converted into US dollars & then into Thai Baht. Same would apply to debit cards issued in Thailand I suspect. So payment would be taken in HK $ then converted into US $ & finally into Thai Baht.

Probably better to use a card issued in UK if you still have one.

Does it have to be my credit card as I only have debit cards and a KBank instant online card?

Quote from `Notes for FORM C1`.

`We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted.`

I have a credit card issued by my Thai bank & all expenses incurred from the card usage in any currency other than Thai Baht are converted into US dollars & then into Thai Baht. Same would apply to debit cards issued in Thailand I suspect. So payment would be taken in HK $ then converted into US $ & finally into Thai Baht.

Probably better to use a card issued in UK if you still have one.

I got rid of all my credit cards a few years ago as I was sometimes living beyond my means.

I took a couple of drastic steps to deal with it and now i can sleep a little better at night.

My son in the UK did the same thing.

My debit card does me for most things and that is a KBank one with a Visa logo.

My debit card does me for most things and that is a KBank one with a Visa logo.

That should work just fine. You may loose a little on the exchange rates but that is normal.

Thanks for that.

I have another couple of years to go yet.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've been to Western Union and 5 different banks in Nakhon Sawan. All except one (Krungsri) said "No, we don't do international transfers". Krungsri did, but only if I could give them the account number the money was to be paid into. I have Visa cards from Kasigorn and Bangkok, and both say that they can't be used to pay outside Thailand. Any suggestions, please? I don't know anyone whi can let me use their Mastercared of Visa card.

Passport arrived this morning! From sending the application on the 17th of May it took 22 days to arrive at my door by DHL, and that includes the 2 bank holidays for the jubilee, not bad for just over B9,000 in total sad.png

I sent the application using Thai post EMS which cost B550 and arrived in HK the next day, payment was taken 2 or 3 days after that.

My passport will fall due for renewal soon, and, like the OP, I plan to send my application to HK by Thai Post EMS since there is no DHL office in my neck of the woods. However, given the absence of an online tracking facility and the unhelpful statement on the HK website that our first point of enquiry should be our courier company, would Thai Post be prepared to track an EMS package sent to HK if need be, and, if so, how much would this be likely to cost? Or could the availability of a tracking service only be guaranteed through sending the application to HK by the Thai Post equivalent of Recorded Delivery or (as advised on the HK website) Registered Post, assuming that such things exist here?

Edited by OJAS

• 8 months later...

I have to renew my passport, and I too am having trouble getting a banker's draft. It appears that none of the banks locally provide this facility, so it is either a trip to BKK, or card payment.

The HK administrative office offers a form for card payment. It requires all the details of the card - number, full name, etc. I feel sure that including these details in a postal envelope is very insecure - a thief can order stuff online or by telephone without difficulty it seems to me.

So - advise please. Am I being paranoid about possible card identity theft and loss of money, or not?

I have to renew my passport, and I too am having trouble getting a banker's draft. It appears that none of the banks locally provide this facility, so it is either a trip to BKK, or card payment.

The HK administrative office offers a form for card payment. It requires all the details of the card - number, full name, etc. I feel sure that including these details in a postal envelope is very insecure - a thief can order stuff online or by telephone without difficulty it seems to me.

So - advise please. Am I being paranoid about possible card identity theft and loss of money, or not?

it does not ask for the CWC number on the form, which is asked for when making purchases online, so you are being a bit too paranoid, also if someone wanted they could just open the envelope and stick another address on the delivery details, thus getting a passport which could be used for other means.

Just relax many of us have done the payments like you want to.

Beano2274 : many thanks for your reply. Life is short (I am just 70!), so I bit the bullet and sent the credit card details. However there are only 1000 different combinations of the 3 numbers that are usually requested, so it is a trivial bit of computer work to try all of them - but I do not know how a thief would know when he had got the correct one. But these card thieves are very knowledgeable and ingenious, so I still harbour some fears........

You are using EMS or DHL I believe? These are secure services with full tracking so very unlikely to result in anyone tampering with contents. I have actual cards sent in normal mail and have never had an issue so don't believe you are at much risk - and if this a UK or USA card you would be protected anyhow.

• 2 months later...

I gave up getting my passport renewed out here, thankfully I still visit the UK on a semi frequent basis so I get them done back there, I think the 1hr express service offered by the IPS is not that much dearer than the service offered to expats, especially if you calculate it using a Del-Boy exchange rate

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app