Visa Run To Penang - Enough Pages In Passport?

I'm supposed to go Penang to get a single 3 month Non-Immigrant B Visa soon.

However, I only have 2.75 pages left in my passport. Out of the last 3 pages, the first is blank, the second has a small re-entry stamp and the third is also blank. Will I be left with enough room?

Another question - my company seems confident that I will receive the Visa. I have 2.5 months left on a tourist visa. If I fail to get the non-Immigrant B for some reason, will my tourist visa be invalidated? Will I be stuck with a two week stamp in my passport (travelling overland from Phuket)?

And lastly, I thought that I would need to stick around in Penang overnight, as visa processing often takes place over 2 days - apply today, collect tomorrow. However, my company seems to think that 2 days are not required in this case, and their representative in Penang will take care of it. Can this be right?!

Any advice warmly appreciated.

One page for visa but most do not need visa to Malaysia so only stamps of 1/4 page or less each so should have room. Your tourist visa will end with exit. Although sometimes visa can be obtained same day at higher cost I would not count on it in Penang as things change there often.

Helpful for you to check that the days you intend to go are not Thai, or Malaysian holidays, as this could result in the embassy being closed. This happened to me recently in Laos and had to spend a long weekend there. My stupidity for not checking national holidays.

Just like Phuket there is a bridge to the island and ferry service is also available. There is train service directly to the ferry terminal and bus service and van service and taxi service.

One page for visa but most do not need visa to Malaysia so only stamps of 1/4 page or less each so should have room. Your tourist visa will end with exit. Although sometimes visa can be obtained same day at higher cost I would not count on it in Penang as things change there often.

For what its worth I am pretty certain you will have to stay overnight ,sometimes your agent can get the visa back earlier the following day eg about 1000 am but i have done many visa renewals there and my agent is very chummy with the consulate but it still takes overnight.

If you are not confident abut the non-b you could get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) at immigration. That would allow you to keep the time remaining on your current permit to stay you have when you leave the country.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks for the high-quality, useful advice everyone.

I am interested in what you said about a re-entry permit, ubonjoe. Would I get this at the border between Thailand and Malaysia on the way there? I'm currently on the second half of a double-entry tourist visa.

I am interested in what you said about a re-entry permit, ubonjoe. Would I get this at the border between Thailand and Malaysia on the way there? I'm currently on the second half of a double-entry tourist visa.

You can get it at any immigration office. Since you are in Phuket the immigration office there would be the best office to use. You will need to fill out a TM8 (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf) application form, have one photo and copies of your passport photo page, entry stamp page, visa and TM6 departure card.

You can get it at any immigration office. Since you are in Phuket the immigration office there would be the best office to use. You will need to fill out a TM8 (http://www.immigrati...oad/pdf/tm8.pdf) application form, have one photo and copies of your passport photo page, entry stamp page, visa and TM6 departure card.

Thanks for that ubonjoe, much appreciated!

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but have a question... I had understood Penang did not so visa renewals etc. ???

I screwed up on dates with my 800,000 baht for Retirement visa by 10 days... I used return date from trip to Borneo not the original date of my retirement visa. (I forgot about having to be out of Asian zone to change that date)

Samui Immigration says I need to re-apply for a new Retirement Visa by going out of country. sad.png

So my question is where can I do this.... Penang or KL or KB ? Immigration officer here was a bit vague....

Also what do I need, in way of paper work photos etc?

Help appreciated!

You can apply for a new non-O visa at all 3 locations, mostimes people prefer KL because it is easy to travel to.

If the money isn't seasoned long enough, remember that there is also the option of combining the money in the bank with your income. If the money in the bank together with your anual income is at least 800,000 baht you still qualify. With a combination there is no need to season the money.

Incoem from abroad must be certified with a letter from your embassy/consulate.

If you have about two weeks remaining on current stay you can do in Bangkok (perhaps a low as one week). It is called conversion or issue for retirement and costs 2,000 baht but some immigration offices do not do so you must use Bangkok. Money does not have to be seasoned for this step.

Otherwise KL should issue a single entry non immigrant O visa or if you go somewhere that will not just get a tourist visa and do the conversion in Thailand later.

Thanks for the responses here, Mario and Lopburi.

My renewal due date is July 17th, My required money was transferred April 28th which is what through things out by 10 or so days!

I guess I am still not clear about the 3 month "seasoning" does it need to be here for that 3 months and in mean time get a tourist visa? Or perhaps I could stay in Malaysia for the 10 day period? That actually would not bother me.

Where in BKK is the immigration office, if that is a viable option?

None of these places are hard to get to, if Penang or KB I would whip down on my bike, I have Malaysian plate already.... KL, I've done before too, as a tourist, but not an easy city to get around on a bike! .

I read your post to mean you stayed past your extension time and had only got a 2 week or 30 day visa exempt entry - that would be where change of visa would be useful.

You are still on retirement extension of stay but will not have funds in bank long enough to qualify when due for renewal and unless you can obtain proof of retirement income from your Embassy for part or all of 65k (no seasoning required with combination) you will have to obtain a new non immigrant visa entry to extend again. Yes the money if using only bank account must be at 800k or more for three months before you can obtain second or later extension of stay.

I read your post to mean you stayed past your extension time and had only got a 2 week or 30 day visa exempt entry - that would be where change of visa would be useful.

You are still on retirement extension of stay but will not have funds in bank long enough to qualify when due for renewal and unless you can obtain proof of retirement income from your Embassy for part or all of 65k (no seasoning required with combination) you will have to obtain a new non immigrant visa entry to extend again. Yes the money if using only bank account must be at 800k or more for three months before you can obtain second or later extension of stay.

Hi Lopburi.

Ummm, no, I am still within my date of renewing the 3 month reporting. I did that last week. 17th May. Where I screwed up was not using the anniversary date of my original date from arriving in Thailand from overseas... (This were I forgot one has to go outside of Asia to change that date.)

The original arrival date in Thailand from overseas is July 17th (2007)....officially the date when I needed to renew the yearly extension.

Money placed in my local savings was April 28th (800,000 baht+ ) This is where the 10 day shortfall of date comes in... had it arrived /deposited before April 17th everything would have been OK...

My question is then, I obviously have to head to Malaysia or somewhere, but should I do sooner or later? This is were I am having difficulty in figuring this out. i.e does the 800,000 baht need to be in place 3 months to reapply for the new Retirement visa?

I don't have the option of the 65,000 baht per month as money is invested and pension below that level.

I hope that is clearer!

Thanks for the help!

Edited by samuijimmy

What is the permit to stay date that is stamped in your passport? That is the date you need to do your extension by.

If you have a pension that is less than 65,000 baht you can combine that amount with money in bank and there is no need for the money to be in the bank for 90 days. In example if you only get 50,000 baht per month you can show 180,000 in the bank (15,000 baht pension shortage X 12 months) to make up the difference.

To prove you income you will need a document from your home countries embassy proving the income. Tell us which country you are from and we can probably help with info about getting the document.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi Lopburi.

Ummm, no, I am still within my date of renewing the 3 month reporting. I did that last week. 17th May. Where I screwed up was not using the anniversary date of my original date from arriving in Thailand from overseas... (This were I forgot one has to go outside of Asia to change that date.)

The original arrival date in Thailand from overseas is July 17th (2007)....officially the date when I needed to renew the yearly extension.

Money placed in my local savings was April 28th (800,000 baht+ ) This is where the 10 day shortfall of date comes in... had it arrived /deposited before April 17th everything would have been OK...

My question is then, I obviously have to head to Malaysia or somewhere, but should I do sooner or later? This is were I am having difficulty in figuring this out. i.e does the 800,000 baht need to be in place 3 months to reapply for the new Retirement visa?

I don't have the option of the 65,000 baht per month as money is invested and pension below that level.

I hope that is clearer!

Thanks for the help!

Is seems to agree with what I said and that you are still here on retirement extension of stay legally until June 17th but your money will not get in account long enough to qualify for next extension - so you need to use combined method of Embassy letter for pension and a bank deposit to meet the total 800k requirement (no 3 month requirement). Lleaving the area has nothing to do with one year extensions of stay so that is still totally unclear.