Dressing Your Sausage

I have never posted in the western food thread, but today I feel I need a change. I made a couple of hotdogs today, and I immediate went for boring old mustard and mayo. What has happened to me? I used to be so creative; with the chopped onions, assorted cheeses, hot sauces, relishes, salsa and guacamole, Chili, toasted buns and so on. Furthermore, I realized I am in Thailand, and hot dogs are one of the few western foods that are readily available almost everywhere. There must be some really great local tricks to put some life in the ole tube steak.

So how about it, what is new in wiener fusion? Who's got the ultimate banger blend? Have you taken the frankfurter further? And what really is the best for my wurst? Don't focus only on bun centered unions, all sausage solutions will be considered.

Edited by canuckamuck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try rolling a sausage in rough oats and pan frying it .

This works well with new potatoes . Boil the potatoes , coat with butter in a pan, roll them in oats and leave them to cool down . Then pan fry .

Chorizo al cidre .

Chop up a chorizo sausage and take off the skin .

Leave the sausage in a bowl of cider , wine is good too , overnight .

Fry the sausage in plenty of olive oil and add the left over cider and simmer down .

Eat that with bread and a pint of wine for breakfast .

Edited by onionluke

the condiments down the local 7-11 with one of their dogs do the trick fer me...but the quality of the 7-11 dogs ain't much to speak of...when at home with a packaged bratwurst I just use the best mustard that I can find: 'French's Mustard - Americas favorite mustard'...the French's Spicy Brown Deli mustard ain't half bad...

one could also roast the dogs in the oven slathered in dijon but that's a bit OTT as we're not talkin' gourmet, just a 'stuff yer face' scenario here...

A nice bubbling sausage casserole gives you time to sit in the shade with a litre of two of cider before tucking in.

a nice sausage cassoulet? sounds good...

(a domineering, patriarchal tutsi to his pregnant, cringing 18 y.o. step daughter: 'eat that! thou wanton or the baby shall be deformed!...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Try rolling a sausage in rough oats and pan frying it .

This works well with new potatoes . Boil the potatoes , coat with butter in a pan, roll them in oats and leave them to cool down . Then pan fry .

Chorizo al cidre .

Chop up a chorizo sausage and take off the skin .

Leave the sausage in a bowl of cider , wine is good too , overnight .

Fry the sausage in plenty of olive oil and add the left over cider and simmer down .

Eat that with bread and a pint of wine for breakfast .

Now I got go find some of those ingredients.

Sounds awesome

the condiments down the local 7-11 with one of their dogs do the trick fer me...but the quality of the 7-11 dogs ain't much to speak of...when at home with a packaged bratwurst I just use the best mustard that I can find: 'French's Mustard - Americas favorite mustard'...the French's Spicy Brown Deli mustard ain't half bad...

one could also roast the dogs in the oven slathered in dijon but that's a bit OTT as we're not talkin' gourmet, just a 'stuff yer face' scenario here...

Yeah but mustard has become my default condiment.

A nice bubbling sausage casserole gives you time to sit in the shade with a litre of two of cider before tucking in.

I think you really have to choose the sausage carefully for this one, I don't think your basic hot dog would work. Maybe something like bratwurst, or farmer's sausage.

I think you really have to choose the sausage carefully for this one, I don't think your basic hot dog would work. Maybe something like bratwurst, or farmer's sausage.

Toulouse style...something with garlic etc...

Spiral a strip of bacon around the hot dog, securing the ends with toothpicks if needed, then grill. For a nice take on pigs in a blanket, cut into bites, roll each bite in a won ton wrapper, string three or four onto a skewer and deep fry, then serve with sweet chili sauce. Make sausage rolls using frozen puff pastry and bake until golden. Make corn dogs by dipping skewered hot dogs into corn bread batter (homemade or mix) then deep fry. Serve hot dogs on toasted buns with kim chee, an increasingly common topping in the States. Roll a grilled hot dog into a warm tortilla with shredded lettuce, cheese and salsa, a favorite of ours when we were kids.

I don't think much of it, but I know a few people who like "American" fried rice, with sliced hot dogs and ketchup.

and there is always the chili dog...heat up a can of Hormel chili (without beans), grill the dogs and get some nice big buns and then slosh the chili over the dogs with lotsa chopped yellow onions...garnish with grated cheddar...

they are a mess to eat but they sure do taste good...american 'comfort food'...

man, I could go fer a couple right now...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://allthingsportland.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/chilli-dogs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://festivaresortsportlandblog.com/2010/03/25/eat-some-chili-and-watch-a-race-at-sunday-river/&h=462&w=616&sz=136&tbnid=mF0-Lagym_-UvM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&zoom=1&docid=ZBYIn1K9sdqO7M&sa=X&ei=r6K6T5u9NqKOmQXm5bXHCQ&ved=0CFsQ9QEwBQ&dur=12948

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Roll a grilled hot dog into a warm tortilla with shredded lettuce, cheese and salsa, a favorite of ours when we were kids.

A childhood fave of mine too... well, similar.

In So.Cal, we would make "tortilla dogs" using a toasted flour tortilla, cheese, and spicy red enchilada sauce.

Even my junior high school sold/served "tortilla dogs" out of the cafeteria.

Ever heard of a stoner kebab ? A west coast of Scotland favourite , it is a foot long sausage made from lamb kebab meat , wrapped in a deep fried pizza .

I'm in shock at this news. Its a revelation! Sounds like an easy dinner for four with no washing up. Culinary heaven. I just hope there is an off licence next door...

Spiral a strip of bacon around the hot dog, securing the ends with toothpicks if needed, then grill. For a nice take on pigs in a blanket, cut into bites, roll each bite in a won ton wrapper, string three or four onto a skewer and deep fry, then serve with sweet chili sauce. Make sausage rolls using frozen puff pastry and bake until golden. Make corn dogs by dipping skewered hot dogs into corn bread batter (homemade or mix) then deep fry. Serve hot dogs on toasted buns with kim chee, an increasingly common topping in the States. Roll a grilled hot dog into a warm tortilla with shredded lettuce, cheese and salsa, a favorite of ours when we were kids.

I don't think much of it, but I know a few people who like "American" fried rice, with sliced hot dogs and ketchup.

This all sounds good, although I am unsure of what is American fried rice.

If you don't pay for it in us dollars it invades you.

But, you could try covering in tasty cheese, chopped onion and bacon pieces then under the grill...

• Like 1

With a handle like Canuckamuck, you must be from Canada. I'm happy to tell you that some of the best hot dogs I'll ever had in my life were eaten in downtown Toronto. I was working there for a year and remember using the street vendors a couple of times -- the dogs were excellent, especially loaded up with sauerkraut, onions, relish, mustard and diced tomato. They were a generous size and one of them with a pint of milk was all I needed for lunch. I also remember going to a place called Kwinters (I think) where they had beautiful all-beef dogs with things like rye and poppy seed buns -- amazingly good.

With a handle like Canuckamuck, you must be from Canada. I'm happy to tell you that some of the best hot dogs I'll ever had in my life were eaten in downtown Toronto. I was working there for a year and remember using the street vendors a couple of times -- the dogs were excellent, especially loaded up with sauerkraut, onions, relish, mustard and diced tomato. They were a generous size and one of them with a pint of milk was all I needed for lunch. I also remember going to a place called Kwinters (I think) where they had beautiful all-beef dogs with things like rye and poppy seed buns -- amazingly good.

yeah...Toronto has a big jewish community and the all beef dogs are a hallmark...I was recently in NYC and wanted to get one of the famous local all beef dogs from a street vendor downtown but I was too busy running around and couldn't stop and enjoy...

now, in Berkeley CA they have Top Dogs, basically a 'hole in the wall' vendor with grilled sausages; all beef NYC, bratwurst, louisiana hot links and a whole list of most anything that you could imagine...with a condiment table with hot sauerkraut, 3 types of mustard (including english with a sign that sez: 'beware, very hot!!!' as americans like to slather rather than dab the mustard), chopped onions, relish and etc...and I would meet up with a mate from Sacramento and we then would make a bee line to Top Dogs and he would get three and wolf them down in a horrible street side display but he is originally from the east coast and they take their dogs very seriously there...

I'd usually make do with a brat and a louisiana and then we'd wipe our hands on our trousers and then go off to get some beers...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

ข้าวผัดอเมริกัน khao pad amerigan... It generally includes rice fried in ketchup, hot dogs in some form, and a fried egg. Look for it at a restaurant near you.

Edited by vincentinparis

Ever heard of a stoner kebab ? A west coast of Scotland favourite , it is a foot long sausage made from lamb kebab meat , wrapped in a deep fried pizza .

Back home my Friday evening tea of choice was a nice fillet of cod, rock or plaice and a battered pizza with chips drowning in salt and sarsons. Plus 3 bread rolls.and a saveloy if i was really peckish.

ข้าวผัดอเมริกัน khao pad amerigan... It generally includes rice fried in ketchup, hot dogs in some form, and a fried egg. Look for it at a restaurant near you.

That's what I got when I ordered it many years back. Never had it again.