Minimum Salary For Teachers

I am sure that I have read on TVF that there is no minimum salary required in contract, as there are with some other jobs, is that correct?

Also the new school wants to pay me hourly I am the first foreigner they have hired, would the contract be ok to say 300 Bhat per hour? or Should there be a difinite number of hours per month and the total salary per month based on that? ie now I have 4 hours per week at 300 Bhat an hour so 1200 x 4

4,800 Bhat per month. But that could increase next week say. What would be the better way to go.?

I am trying to help them with the contract since this is their first, I took a copy of my previous school contract to give them as an example.

P.S . The school is a temple school and is just opening. Monday I was told 3 hours a week. Tuesday I was told that increased to 4 hours per week. Then yesterday the head monk told me he also wanted me to teach him seperately, before or after class for an hour 4 times a week and that he would pay me seperately for that, out of his own pocket...

The school has 6 classrooms, present enrollment uses two classrooms, as intake grows so will my hours.

Main concern is proper wording in the contract for Non B. for the Embassy in Laos.

Previous contracts have always stated hours monthly and salary monthly....This will be my 3rd contract with a school and 4th work permit.

So 1. is there a minimum salary for teachers for Non B

2. should contract be hours/ monthly/salary or is just 300 bhat per hour OK.

Thanks

1) No

2) Be careful what you wish for... the so-called "contract" will be used to force YOU to comply, to their needs, as they see fit to define or redefine, in the future, as it suits them. If they wish to NOT comply with the contract at any time... they will just do so, (break the contract at will), and, as a farang, you are basically powerless... if you fight the "system", they will ALWAYS "get back" in spades; thus... my advice: get the hourly Baht figure documented in the "contract" (which is really more of a "documentation of pay and work conditions as understood and agreed to by both parties" ) and also try to include a 20 Baht-a-year increase clause... and let it go at that.

Good luck on 4 hours work a week! That's something like 5000 Baht a month income?

1) No

2) Be careful what you wish for... the so-called "contract" will be used to force YOU to comply, to their needs, as they see fit to define or redefine, in the future, as it suits them. If they wish to NOT comply with the contract at any time... they will just do so, (break the contract at will), and, as a farang, you are basically powerless... if you fight the "system", they will ALWAYS "get back" in spades; thus... my advice: get the hourly Baht figure documented in the "contract" (which is really more of a "documentation of pay and work conditions as understood and agreed to by both parties" ) and also try to include a 20 Baht-a-year increase clause... and let it go at that.

Good luck on 4 hours work a week! That's something like 5000 Baht a month income?

Thanks now. I realize that it is not a lot of hours to start, but it saves me going back to retirement visa. Also on top of that I will be teaching the Monk privately and paid seperately for that. Its 5 minutes from home so convenient and I prefer to be doing some work as opposed to sitting at home. As enrollment increases my hours will also.

And yes I recently had a contract with a school here that was suppose to pay an additional 3,000 Bhat housing allowance on top of salary, which they said was not payable although it was in the contract. I made a post about going to the MOL about that, the school not living up to the contract.

I was more concerned about the wording of the contract for the Non B visa, re: hourly pay or monthly, since previous contracts always stated monthly income as opposed to hourly.

The immigration rules for an extension of stay based as a teacher on a normal school state that the educational institution must show the monthly salary rate.

see 2.6 of police order 305/2551, which lists the required documents for an extension of stay.

The immigration rules for an extension of stay based as a teacher on a normal school state that the educational institution must show the monthly salary rate.

see 2.6 of police order 305/2551, which lists the required documents for an extension of stay.

Thanks now, I will make sure the new school does the contract to show monthly as opposed to hourly. Appreciate your help once again.

All past schools showed it as monthly.

Good on ya, Colabamumbai!

Agree with you totally - it gets chronically tiring having to put up with those posters that don't contribute to the topic, but insist on either trying to "bait" the OP with their stupid remarks - or apparently seek to belittle the original question as much as possible. Good on the mods, too, for removing these insane remarks where they can!

Your very legit question (and some of the real comments from others) have been of great help and very interesting to read!

Err...I suppose this is all really a bit off topic, isn't it......wub.png

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Thanks for your positive support. I have been on TVF for 2 years now. I started when I knew that I was coming to spend the rest of my life in Thailand, before I left Canada.I try to remember posts that are relevant to my situation, to avoid having to post as new topics and in fact save things, like the police file number Mario posted, in order that I may be able to help others in the future. Circumstances do change as does everyones personal situation. In my first months I also had posts removed and I think was even banned from posting for a day. (maybe too much beer that day).

I do hope that some of my posts are relevant to others situations and that others can also benefit from the answers, as you have confirmed.

There is nothing as informative about basically everything that Thailand has to offer as TVF. and as you say the forum and the moderators deserve a lot of credit.

Reading your post is a breath of fresh air. Sincerely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would apply for a Non"O" volunteer visa. This will entitle you to work at the school and get a work permit. All you need is a contract from the school showing they are willing for you to work there plus a schedule.......nothing set in stone, a letter from your local education department plus the Changwat ( elected official or mayor ) a letter from the TCT in Bangkok for a teacher licence exemption letter , and finally a work permit and some luck!!! I hope this helps.