Beautiful Video (Thai W Eng Subs)

BigJohnnyBKK

Vimeo link

Haven't researched background enough, looks like the auteur is US-based film student but actually ethnic Vietnamese??

Replaced the link with an article to some more detail, but leaving the above Q to stimulate others to find out more, as I'm "lazy".

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 2

Enjoyed it very much thanks, so took a short Google tour. This is the director;

BRUCE THIERRY CHEUNG is a Vietnamese French American director who has spent his life moving between Hong Kong and the US.

And that short was shown at the TriBeCa Film Festival last year, so he has definitely done well for himself. He is currently an in-house director at OCTV California - guess you will know more about that company than this old Brit.

Thanks again for the link, would be nice to have more like this on TV.

Edited by elwood

Adeliane,

I'd have to disagree with you. But that's the film business.. For what was probably done on a shoe string , the end result was very good.

I'm a union (local 600) camera operator (yes, Hollywood) and thought it was interesting enough to forward to a couple of friends and family who are also in the industry

All the responses were positive.

But everyone's a critic and entitled to their opinion.

I though it was good, and glad it was excepted to the TriBeCa Film Festival.

Adeliane,

I'd have to disagree with you. But that's the film business.. For what was probably done on a shoe string , the end result was very good.

I'm a union (local 600) camera operator (yes, Hollywood) and thought it was interesting enough to forward to a couple of friends and family who are also in the industry

All the responses were positive.

But everyone's a critic and entitled to their opinion.

I though it was good, and glad it was excepted to the TriBeCa Film Festival.

Well yes I am entitled to what I think, thank you very much

it managed to get me bored in less than 8 minutes!

Nothing is suggested, everything is said twice three times in a non subtle manner:

The commentary is doubled by the image for every each sentence ! it's a total drag

-"He thinks about his life" = He is driving on a motorway the eyes fixed on the road

-"it is easy to put problems away when you have love": He is laughing with his GF

- "Life passes away when you're not careful": Scenes of car passing on the express way.

The director must think we are really thick ! smile.png

And obviously I can't comment on what trigger Chok to get back to his real life ...

Edited by aneliane

Good intentions, cute photography,terrible script, no directing

Pretty easy to criticize, hey Aneliane? Why is it that the least talented always seem to be the quickest to criticize? Especially when they themselves don't have the courage or creativity to produce anything of worth.

Pretty easy to criticize, hey Aneliane? Why is it that the least talented always seem to be the quickest to criticize? Especially when they themselves don't have the courage or creativity to produce anything of worth.

a/ you don't know if I create or not

b/ Since when is critic the sole domain of people creating themselves?

c/ thanks god we have freedom of speech and people allowed to express their opinion: it is called DEMOCRACY.

" I don't share your opinion but I would fight to death so that you can express them " (Voltaire)

Edited by aneliane

c/ thanks god we have freedom of speech and people allowed to express their opinion: it is called DEMOCRACY.

" I don't share your opinion but I would fight to death so that you can express them " (Voltaire)

Well the consensus here is that the video is pretty decent. Of course, we know that it's not a big-budget production, not produced to rake in massive box-office receipts, not produced with grade A actors, etc. It's just someone's little film. Surely you can grasp that concept.

By the way, weren't you the one criticizing regular folks for the way they dress awhile back? Not fashionable enough for you, as I recall. You remind me of certain high school clicks who would criticize a poor kid for the way she dressed, because it wasn't "fashionable" enough. You're really not endearing yourself to the readership by being so snobbish.

Well the consensus here is that the video is pretty decent. Of course, we know that it's not a big-budget production, not produced to rake in massive box-office receipts, not produced with grade A actors, etc. It's just someone's little film. Surely you can grasp that concept.

By the way, weren't you the one criticizing regular folks for the way they dress awhile back? Not fashionable enough for you, as I recall. You remind me of certain high school clicks who would criticize a poor kid for the way she dressed, because it wasn't "fashionable" enough. You're really not endearing yourself to the readership by being so snobbish.

lol it is so funny

I can't believe I am actually having to explain this...

a/ Fashion style has nothing to do with money

b/ I was not criticizing anyone, I was just noticing some peculiar fashion habits here.

c/ Going with the "consensus", is called being a sheep and following a herd, and is just a sign of poor self confidence. Anyway does it matter ? Are we delivering a price here ? What does it matter if I don't like it ? It's not going to change my life, your life, or even the film director's life. This is Thaivisa forum not Cannes' Festival lol. So why the hatred and personal attack. I think it's more a reflection on a problem with you.

d/ Again money has nothing to do with artistic film expression. I explained and detailed how everything was underlined, repeated,, said by the commenting voice and shown in a very obvious way on scenes (life passes by/cars passing on the express way); this is the director's choice of expressing his view and has nothing to do with budget I can name you a dozen films made with $100 or less way better than this.

Edited by aneliane

You're really not endearing yourself to the readership by being so snobbish.

I'm pretty sure Aneliane's goals here do not include endearing herself to the average TV'er.

I personally appreciate different points of view, especially when their posts are thought out and rational, and hers are, at least most of the time.

And since we seem to have trouble getting women to participate here, I think we should cut them an extra bit of slack, considering some of the <deleted> they have to wade through here sometimes.

I can name you a dozen films made with $100 or less way better than this.

And if any of them are by Thais or are about Thailand I'm sure we would appreciate your posting them, probably to a new thread. . .

Sorry they are not Thai, the only director I know/like is Apichapong Werasethakul (apologies for any mispellings)who did "Uncle Bonmee"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apichatpong_Weerasethakul

It's a different category as he's professional of course but worth checking

Do you know him ?

I personally appreciate different points of view, especially when their posts are thought out and rational, and hers are, at least most of the time.

As John McEnroe used to say...."You cannot be serious!" Well thought-out and rational? Have you taken a gander at her newest thread about "Free walking ad?" The woman is delusional and paranoid...not to mention clearly anti-Thai.

I certainly have no problem with her expressing her opinions, but there's nothing unique about them. There are many like her who chooses to bash the Thais and Thailand at every opportunity. But hey, freedom of speech and all that.

As John McEnroe used to say...."You cannot be serious!" Well thought-out and rational? Have you taken a gander at her newest thread about "Free walking ad?" The woman is delusional and paranoid...not to mention clearly anti-Thai.

I certainly have no problem with her expressing her opinions, but there's nothing unique about them. There are many like her who chooses to bash the Thais and Thailand at every opportunity. But hey, freedom of speech and all that.

Erm erm you can eat your hat

I just said liked a thai film/director

No thai bashing here sorry

Certainly no more delusional than SuperBrat at his peak 8-)

I'm not saying I agree (or even always understand) her thought processes, but she does go to the effort of at least attempting to put the CPU in gear before engaging fingers, while many others here seem to just spout off like a knee jerking to a hammer. And IMO conversations including her posts are more interesting than the average slagfest.

Finally the reverse discrimination bit applies, would really like to see more women on TV that were open to discussions with us caveman heathens. . .

• Like 1

And if any of them are by Thais or are about Thailand I'm sure we would appreciate your posting them, probably to a new thread. . .

Sorry they are not Thai, the only director I know/like is Apichapong Werasethakul (apologies for any mispellings)who did "Uncle Bonmee"

http://en.wikipedia....g_Weerasethakul

Do you know him ?

So you've actually seen "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives?" That movie won an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Yet, to this day, I have no idea what it was about.

May I politely suggest that we focus on the message of the film, which I said, and still maintain as a beautiful, moving film.

aneliane ... please don't, just don't.

Find another thread to weave your craft.

No, she's French.

I really did enjoy the democracy rant though. I guess she forgot where she lives.

Very interesting and IMO well done film that in a short time manages to eloquently address a complex subject.

Aside the technical and intellectual aspects of this film, the way I judge a film is by it's ability to hold my attention, as this film did.

Than you for an enjoyable 8 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia....g_Weerasethakul

Do you know him ?

So you've actually seen "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives?" That movie won an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Yet, to this day, I have no idea what it was about.

Yes exactly and everyone please notice that for once I want to talk about something in a positive light, NO ONE CARES

Come on people who constantly accuse me of "Thai bashing", "moaning" or "complaining", I would love to talk about the sweetness and beatitude of Uncle Boonmee, of the dreamy poetical world of Apichapong Verasetakul. Please let's share the pure contemplation of the magical world he creates!

• Like 1

Yes exactly and everyone please notice that for once I want to talk about something in a positive light, NO ONE CARES

Come on people who constantly accuse me of "Thai bashing", "moaning" or "complaining", I would love to talk about the sweetness and beatitude of Uncle Boonmee, of the dreamy poetical world of Apichapong Verasetakul. Please let's share the pure contemplation of the magical world he creates!

Start a thread on it and see if anyone knows about it.

I usually don't need to start a thread to have people jumping to my throat accusing me of thai bashing, it comes fast...

Anyone can check it out on utube if they don't know the movie

Anyway it's totally in relation with the topic : it's thai, it's kinetical art, contemplative, full of positive energy and totally recent of the same period.

So ?

Edited by aneliane