Pepper Spraying A Dog

First I would like to say I LOVE dogs. I have a few of my own and look after and care for them well. Not so much the case with most dogs we come across in Thailand though. I ride my bicycle for exercise in the mornings and it's not uncommon to get attacked an chased by a dog or 2. The worst is when I go to my nearby 7-11. It's located at a PTT pump and there are 3 dogs always hanging around there. When I ride up to 7 they bolt straight towards me pissed of and trying to bite me and the bike. I haven't been bit yet but there have been some close calls. Especially yesterday. It doesn't look like these dogs at 7 belong to anyone. They are just street dogs that I guess claimed that area as their own.

My question is Do you know what would be the legalities of me pepper spraying a dog that attacks me? I know I would feel really bad to hurt the dog but it's either me or the dog and I'm not going to get bit just because I like dogs. I thought about carrying a stick to give them a good wack but I might fall of the bike trying to swing at them or ride into traffic.

Anything else besides pepper spray that night work?

I saw a guy walking a dog the other day carrying a baseball bat....But that was here in the uSA.

I suggest being the Alpha male and show them who's boss. Mount a stick to your bike, if they have a go, whip it out and show them who's in charge. Mostly if you give it back to them like they do they will back off.

• Like 1

I've had dogs bite my motorcycle before. A friend of mine had a large bulldog who liked to bite the front wheel of my motorcycle as I was pulling away from his house. Once he chopped onto the front of the wheel and before I could grab the brake the bike rolled forward and I actually rode over his head. He still barked alot but stopped biting the wheel. He never actually tried to bite my leg or foot though, he just seemed to hate the motorcycle. I grew up in a place where nearly every house had aggressive dogs that would come out in the street and raise hell. People had to carry a stick just to walk up my street.

I respect that you are trying to deal with this problem without hurting the dogs. Are the dogs biting at the bike and at your body or just biting at the bike? I agree with Bung that brandishing stick and maybe shouting a might work.

If you did have to spray the dogs you might be able to use a very mild form of pepper spray and try to not hit them directly in the eyes if that is even possible. You might only have to do it once because they would probably associate you with what happened.

I think I would try carry a stick and as I pulled up and the dogs approached I would shout and get off the bike and maybe even chase the dogs a short distance. They just need to figure out you are the wrong dog to mess with. wink.png

Good luck.

Anything else besides pepper spray that night work?

Ultrasonic Dog repeller like Dog Dazer. I haven't seen them for sale in Thailand although alibaba shows one company in Korat selling them online.

• Like 1

When getting close to the dogs get off your bike make no eye contact with them and walk as far away from them as possible.... Good idea to have a back up stick as well if it goes pear shaped..wink.png. Good luck

Huh? Dogs like to attack from behind so this is really going to separate the men from the dogs. I ride my bike out in the boonies and there's always confrontational dogs in every village but most back off when you ride at them and make plenty noise... start practicing a 'Braveheart' style war cry! Also a well aimed kick works... but practice that if you are cycling in traffic.

If there are still some persistently aggressive dogs then pepper spray is unnecessary. The OP needs to get piece of 3/4" garden hosepipe about 3'-4' long, fill it with sand and attach that to the bike frame so that it is accessible and easy to detach and use. Next time the dogs come running up, suss out the leader and give the mutt a resounding whack on the nose with the improvised cosh. The nose is the most sensitive part of the dogs head and a well aimed blow will have the bugger running off whelping and barking. These dogs will always make a show of barking aggressively at the OP but that's from the memory of getting whupped and they won't be coming close any more.

Here in the village my dogs are the only dogs that chase motorcycles and they will only chase my bike. I will ride a few laps at good speed and after that the poor buggers are dead tired from chasing. I make sure of course they think they can keep up. Then the rest of the day they lie on the floor recovering. Easy way to give them some exercise.

I never seen them chase any other bikes. But dogs just love to chase, but not bite. That is why you should never run from a dog it triggers their instinct. We got some soi dogs here too in the village never had a problem with them either.

Dogs usually keep to their territory and will follow strangers there. Some dogs sneaky follow me from behind (at first a pack even). I just pay them no notice and they stop at the edge of their territory. A bike would make more sport for those dogs that is for sure.

Welcome to Thailand.

I carry a small pocket "tazer" when out walking with my dog - just point it in their general direction and press the button. No physical harm is done but the sound it makes is enough to terrify most dogs (my dog is used to it) and send them running. The tazers can be found at most markets at a stall selling knives, binoculars e.t.c for about 500thb and it also comes in handy to keep the missus subdued if she starts trying it on...... ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

I have encountered many of these dogs here in Thailand. Don't assume they are street or soi dogs. They do have "owners" just not in the traditional sense. I say this because if you hurt the dog, the person caring for them, who thereby benefits from watch dogs, will be angry. I know this first hand. I considered and tried many options, but here is what worked best:

1. Stick/club/pepper spray - these work, but are temporary fixes. This makes the dog your enemy as you are now an invading rival "alpha dog" and he will attack again. If you do this, it is a constant battle. But if you do, chose the alpha dog. The others will follow his lead.

2. Avoid/ignore - this one actually works better than you might think, but it takes balls. When you ignore the dog, he perceives you as an alpha who is asserting your control. Your ignoring him is a show of strength, he is beneath you, and dogs do respect this. If he does bite you, see #1.

3. Feed them - if you encounter the same dogs in the same place every day, carry a bag of left over food with you and feed the dogs. Do this several times by hand, or as close to it as you can so that they can learn your scent. After a few times, they will recognize you and expect food. When that happens, just do it intermittenly, but don't forget for a month. If this works, see #2. If this doesn't work, see #1.

I also considered poisoning a pack of particularly aggressive dogs who did bite me and one of my friends who came to visit. All my Thai friends advised me to poison them. I couldn't see myself killing these dogs, they are just doing what their instinct tells them. In the end, I tried all three, and feeding them ended up being the only thing that worked.

As for Animal Control, there is such a thing in Greater Bangkok. Have a Thai friend help you find the information, I can't remember that far back how I got their phone number. They will come pick up the dogs if they have bitten someone. But it takes awhile, even in Thai time (a month?), and they will only come if you have been bitten and can't work it out with the owner. I didn't do it because the dogs "belonged" to a house at the beginning of my soi, so I didn't feel like getting into a pissing match with the owners, and since there is no liability to the owners for dogs biting, then why bother?

My recommendation is to feed them scraps. They will not bother you after a few days. They only chase you because you are a moving target. Their instinct is to chase. So stop your bike, walk it towards them as you are getting the food ready.

Good luck!

I carry a small pocket "tazer" when out walking with my dog - just point it in their general direction and press the button. No physical harm is done but the sound it makes is enough to terrify most dogs (my dog is used to it) and send them running. The tazers can be found at most markets at a stall selling knives, binoculars e.t.c for about 500thb and it also comes in handy to keep the missus subdued if she starts trying it on...... wink.png

Cheers,

Pikey.

Didnt know it was legal to carry tazers.

We have a rottweiler and another small dog...everytime we drive the car or motorcycles out of the house the rottweiler would run in front and try to to bite the wheels..no he is not trying to bite a chunk out but I think he is being playful and try to stop us from going out...lovely dogs..

As other posters have pointed out, some dogs love to chase and, of course, this triggers 'attack' mode.

I always stop my bike and - have never yet had a dog do anything other than stop and/or slink away.

As for pepper spray - dogs have extremely sensitive noses so if any dog does get too close, spray it in front of them, not at them. I had to do this once when (during a walk) my dogs were attacked by another who wouldn't back down. I sprayed it a good couple of feet in front of him and he disappeared immediately. And no, the wind was not blowing in his direction.

Having said this, the lemon juice idea sounds far better as there is no chance of the dog being harmed.

I have encountered many of these dogs here in Thailand. Don't assume they are street or soi dogs. They do have "owners" just not in the traditional sense. I say this because if you hurt the dog, the person caring for them, who thereby benefits from watch dogs, will be angry. I know this first hand. I considered and tried many options, but here is what worked best:

1. Stick/club/pepper spray - these work, but are temporary fixes. This makes the dog your enemy as you are now an invading rival "alpha dog" and he will attack again. If you do this, it is a constant battle. But if you do, chose the alpha dog. The others will follow his lead.

2. Avoid/ignore - this one actually works better than you might think, but it takes balls. When you ignore the dog, he perceives you as an alpha who is asserting your control. Your ignoring him is a show of strength, he is beneath you, and dogs do respect this. If he does bite you, see #1.

3. Feed them - if you encounter the same dogs in the same place every day, carry a bag of left over food with you and feed the dogs. Do this several times by hand, or as close to it as you can so that they can learn your scent. After a few times, they will recognize you and expect food. When that happens, just do it intermittenly, but don't forget for a month. If this works, see #2. If this doesn't work, see #1.

I also considered poisoning a pack of particularly aggressive dogs who did bite me and one of my friends who came to visit. All my Thai friends advised me to poison them. I couldn't see myself killing these dogs, they are just doing what their instinct tells them. In the end, I tried all three, and feeding them ended up being the only thing that worked.

As for Animal Control, there is such a thing in Greater Bangkok. Have a Thai friend help you find the information, I can't remember that far back how I got their phone number. They will come pick up the dogs if they have bitten someone. But it takes awhile, even in Thai time (a month?), and they will only come if you have been bitten and can't work it out with the owner. I didn't do it because the dogs "belonged" to a house at the beginning of my soi, so I didn't feel like getting into a pissing match with the owners, and since there is no liability to the owners for dogs biting, then why bother?

My recommendation is to feed them scraps. They will not bother you after a few days. They only chase you because you are a moving target. Their instinct is to chase. So stop your bike, walk it towards them as you are getting the food ready.

Good luck!

I agree with this post. These dogs are not being aggressive, if they were aggressive and wanted to bite you they would have done so a long time ago. They are just being territorial and following their instincts to chase anything that moves fast. If you do go for one of the more aggressive suggestions in this thread, you will make the dogs your enemies and will dramatically increase the risk of actually getting bitten.

Ignoring the dogs will make them ignore you also, but only if you drive your bicycle slowly when in their territory. If you are afraid of the dogs they will sense it and this strategy may not work. Giving them food and petting them (once you have gained their trust) is the best strategy. When they know you are a friend rather than a treath they will still run alongside you when you ride your bicycle past them, but they will be accompanying you rather than chasing.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

I bought a Dog Dazer, but it doesn't seem to be effective used from a moving bike. Now, rather than a cumbersome stick I carry one of those collapsible batons used by UK police forces, and have never had a real problem since. Merely drawing it and raising my hand deters a lot of the mutts that look as if they want to have a go. Those who come in too close to my ankles get a real shock when I bring my hand down sharply and the baton shoots out towards their snout, they always back off and don't come back for more. I've never hit a dog yet, but I certainly would if the animal persisted in bothering me.

Also, if I see a dog in the road ahead that looks like it's going to have a go, I don't try and ride round it, I put my head down and accelerate straight towards it. Invariably its initial reaction is to run away to the side. It might bark and try to come back at me, but by then I've passed it and further deterrence isn't necessary.

a pair of work boots and a kick to undercarriage of the most aggressive dog will put them all off ,

i dont mean kick him as a warning ,kick him like youve never kicked anything before ,and follow it up with 2 or 3 more

break a couple of ribs or get him under the chin if you can

you dont want to get into a streetfight with a dog ,disable him ASAP

if that doesnt work and you get bitten ,dip a sponge in gravy and watch him wolf it down then choke to death