Udon Thani & Khon Kaen. Information Wanted Please On Day And Night Life .

pattayadingo

Soon I am heading off up to Khon Kaen and Udon Thani for a few nights stay and then on to Vientiane ( for my 90 day visa run ).

I have never stay at either Khon Kaen or Udon Thani before so I am wondering what sort of night life is there? Are there pubs with live bands playing?

If so where are they and are there some cheap(ish) but clean hotels nearby? In, say, the 600 Baht a night range. I'll need a place to park the car as well.

Is there anywhere worth paying a visit in the daytime? Parks, waterfalls, caves, lakes?

Thanks for any helpful information to guide me along the way :)

I'm not a regular, but I did a couple of circuits around the Khon Kaen bars a couple of months ago. As has been the case for many a year, the main Western-oriented bars are in the area around the Kosa and Pullman (formerly the Sofitel) hotels. Most are sleepy little bars with a few serving girls and a band of regulars. 'My Bar' is one of the newer establishments that is more in the style of a hostess bar, albeit with rather disinterested staff, although on a previous visit I did spend an hour or two talking to an agreeable lady there. Another newish bar around the corner in the direction of the Rad Club is the Blue Bar, which has some pretty hostesses and drinks at reasonable prices. The Kosa Beer garden with its "saao BG" - saao Beer Chang etcetera - is worth a visit and sometimes has good live music. Sevens Corner is another reasonable bar a bit away from the main group on Soi Yimsiri. There isn't a great deal of excitement or glamour there but the bar staff are friendly. Khon Kaen is a big city and has some late night clubs with more upmarket wares. There are also a couple of downmarket red light areas, one on the north side of Srichan Road and one behind the Pullman, but they are probably dangerous territory for farang. There are also fish bowls nearby. Again you can visit the relevant local forum (Google on city name plus com), but this doesn't seem to get updated much these days. As far as I know there isn't any modern day successor to the now defunct Nate Night Plaza - where there was a dreadful a-go-go bar years ago - and the High Tech Night Garden. But perhaps others know better.

Ideally you would stay in the Kosa but it is over your budget. The Khon Kaen Orchid near Central on Highway 2, but just about walkable, is good and around 700-800 baht. Or there is a newish hotel much nearer on Srichan Road, whose name I have forgotten (something Mansion?), which was clean but basic when I stayed there a couple of years ago.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

While you are in Koen Kaen you could get you Lao visa at the consulate there. That would save you time on the way into Laos and save a little on the visa cost.

Laos Consulate General , Thailand

19/1-3 Phothisarn Road

Khonkaen

Thailand

Phone:

+66-43-223473

+66-43-223698

+66-43-223-698

+66-43-220-794

+66-43-221-961

Fax:

+66-43-223-849

I'm not a regular, but I did a couple of circuits around the Khon Kaen bars a couple of months ago. As has been the case for many a year, the main Western-oriented bars are in the area around the Kosa and Pullman (formerly the Sofitel) hotels. Most are sleepy little bars with a few serving girls and a band of regulars. 'My Bar' is one of the newer establishments that is more in the style of a hostess bar, albeit with rather disinterested staff, although on a previous visit I did spend an hour or two talking to an agreeable lady there. Another newish bar around the corner in the direction of the Rad Club is the Blue Bar, which has some pretty hostesses and drinks at reasonable prices. The Kosa Beer garden with its "saao BG" - saao Beer Chang etcetera - is worth a visit and sometimes has good live music. Sevens Corner is another reasonable bar a bit away from the main group on Soi Yimsiri. There isn't a great deal of excitement or glamour there but the bar staff are friendly. Khon Kaen is a big city and has some late night clubs with more upmarket wares. There are also a couple of downmarket red light areas, one on the north side of Srichan Road and one behind the Pullman, but they are probably dangerous territory for farang. There are also fish bowls nearby. Again you can visit the relevant local forum (Google on city name plus com), but this doesn't seem to get updated much these days. As far as I know there isn't any modern day successor to the now defunct Nate Night Plaza - where there was a dreadful a-go-go bar years ago - and the High Tech Night Garden. But perhaps others know better.

Ideally you would stay in the Kosa but it is over your budget. The Khon Kaen Orchid near Central on Highway 2, but just about walkable, is good and around 700-800 baht. Or there is a newish hotel much nearer on Srichan Road, whose name I have forgotten (something Mansion?), which was clean but basic when I stayed there a couple of years ago.

Brilliant reply and thanks very much for the time, effort and detail you have put in :)

While you are in Koen Kaen you could get you Lao visa at the consulate there. That would save you time on the way into Laos and save a little on the visa cost.

19/1-3 Phothisarn Road

Khonkaen

Thailand

Phone:

+66-43-223473

+66-43-223698

+66-43-223-698

+66-43-220-794

+66-43-221-961

Fax:

+66-43-223-849

Thanks a lot too for that information. It will make life easier :)

Never visited it but The Pullman Hotel has a microbrewery.

Kronen Brauhaus is the first microbrewery in a Thai hotel, and is located in The Underground entertainment complex. Lovers of good food and beer will enjoy watching it being produced, not to mention tasting the final result.

Very good reply.

The night life for Thais (and Foreigners that enjoy that) is very rich, with plenty variations.

The night life directed towards foreigners is almost non existing.

A lot of the Thai establishments are very nice for foreigners to visit as well.

Never visited it but The Pullman Hotel has a microbrewery.

Kronen Brauhaus is the first microbrewery in a Thai hotel, and is located in The Underground entertainment complex. Lovers of good food and beer will enjoy watching it being produced, not to mention tasting the final result.

Yes i drink there a few times and been in with mred of here, between 6 and 9 pm you can buy one get one free, for a half liter 150 baht, and has a great resident band.

• Like 1

19/1-3 Phothisarn Road

Khonkaen

Thailand

Phone:

+66-43-223473

+66-43-223698

+66-43-223-698

+66-43-220-794

+66-43-221-961

Fax:

+66-43-223-849

Does not always save you time, i have done this before but you do not get the stamp like you do at the window at immigration in lao, so have to que up to get your stamp.

I would recommend a hotel in Udon called @home I stayed there last week for 450Baht a night (agoda). Very good value. The Irish Clock is a good bar for food and they have a live band some nights. The rooms there are also good.

19/1-3 Phothisarn Road

Khonkaen

Thailand

Phone:

+66-43-223473

+66-43-223698

+66-43-223-698

+66-43-220-794

+66-43-221-961

Fax:

+66-43-223-849

Does not always save you time, i have done this before but you do not get the stamp like you do at the window at immigration in lao, so have to que up to get your stamp.

The advantage of doing this is you can then catch the International bus from Udon to Vientiane. Much cheaper and a lot less hassle.

19/1-3 Phothisarn Road

Khonkaen

Thailand

Phone:

+66-43-223473

+66-43-223698

+66-43-223-698

+66-43-220-794

+66-43-221-961

Fax:

+66-43-223-849

The advantage of doing this is you can then catch the International bus from Udon to Vientiane. Much cheaper and a lot less hassle.

Yes i have done that but when i am just going across and back again i get the train from khon kaen even cheaper around 35 baht and i enjoy the journey, then share a tuk tuk to immigration.

I would recommend a hotel in Udon called @home I stayed there last week for 450Baht a night (agoda). Very good value. The Irish Clock is a good bar for food and they have a live band some nights. The rooms there are also good.

Thanks for that and your other post.

Last year in Udon I stayed at Lotus Condotel, a little away from the centre/ Robinsons(but only about a 10 minute walk.)

A little bit old but nice staff, 24 hr. reception/security plus convenience store on site.

Wifi( worked well) TV, fridge air-con.

399 baht a night.( Tel. 042 344081)

I had a stroll around the night market, pleasant enough with some nice food available and then stopped off at a bar complex called Nutty Park I think, about 20 bars approx., seemed OK there

I also looked at a room at Silver Reef, think it was 750 baht a night, nice room , very near the bus station so maybe noisy at night.

Some good posts which i hope I can add to. Been to Udon many times, agree @home good but the car park is rubbish and no lift. Just spent two weeks inn Khon Kaen very unfortunately and i think citizen33 sums it up very well. A tuktuk took me round to the red light part north of Sri Chan Road and around the bus station area. Agree they look a little shall we say potentially troublesome places. Travel2003 I think is spot on. Even some of the decent looking restaurants have not got an English menu.

Udon is so easy I think for foreigners KK is way behind.

Some good posts which i hope I can add to. Been to Udon many times, agree @home good but the car park is rubbish and no lift. Just spent two weeks inn Khon Kaen very unfortunately and i think citizen33 sums it up very well. A tuktuk took me round to the red light part north of Sri Chan Road and around the bus station area. Agree they look a little shall we say potentially troublesome places. Travel2003 I think is spot on. Even some of the decent looking restaurants have not got an English menu.

Udon is so easy I think for foreigners KK is way behind.

Last year in Udon I stayed at Lotus Condotel, a little away from the centre/ Robinsons(but only about a 10 minute walk.)

A little bit old but nice staff, 24 hr. reception/security plus convenience store on site.

Wifi( worked well) TV, fridge air-con.

399 baht a night.( Tel. 042 344081)

I had a stroll around the night market, pleasant enough with some nice food available and then stopped off at a bar complex called Nutty Park I think, about 20 bars approx., seemed OK there

I also looked at a room at Silver Reef, think it was 750 baht a night, nice room , very near the bus station so maybe noisy at night.

It is good to have some information at your fingertips before you go and all these bits of information are helpful, especially when you have never been somewhere before.

In some large towns / small cities it can take weeks and months to gather information and when, like me, you are going to be hopping about from town to town it does help to get this info from people who have been there and done that - even if it is down to some item as small as the car park and the lift info.

Dear mr. <whatever>lander, little lotus flower knows best which cookies most people like best at the floating market shown at that website ; - )

Since today, the 28th of May 2012 I know exactly who will arrive in the future. The male of those four will report their findings to me here in the Netherlands. Hope it will be a most splendid report.

Yeah, and I accept the minor note of the other mr. from Pattaya over here. That point made is also highly appreciated. The Thai ladies working at the corresponding hotel desk are quite small. Please enjoy following picture:

Langenek_Efteling1.JPG

The best night out in khon kaen for falang is number1 bar, has a live band on at 9pm, dave is always trying new things to get falang in, theme parties killer pool ect, i go most friday nights always a good crowd mix of falang and thai, and around midnight i head to Tawan dang a thai music place which i recommend very highly.

As for the poster who mentioned about menu's in thai i agree but many places i know have in falang if you live here and know where to go.

The best night out in khon kaen for falang is number1 bar, has a live band on at 9pm, dave is always trying new things to get falang in, theme parties killer pool ect, i go most friday nights always a good crowd mix of falang and thai, and around midnight i head to Tawan dang a thai music place which i recommend very highly.

As for the poster who mentioned about menu's in thai i agree but many places i know have in falang if you live here and know where to go.

Could you please give the details of where these bars are. In my third week and still not found anywhere in the week with life but not been in KK weekends.

Maybe KK good if you know it but you don't need to know Udon to be able to enjoy it and use it particularly if you stay @home or around that area

Guess I formed an unfair impression during my recent visit. After I'd swerved to avoid a drunk who was making a rapid if unsteady exit with a bit of bar staff 'assistance', I found myself the only customer in this bar. The landlord seemed civil, but I couldn't understand why he thought he could get away with 80 baht for a small bottle of beer when livelier bars were charging less. Perhaps it is a different bar with the live entertainment. The bar is in Na Muang Road.

Guess I formed an unfair impression during my recent visit. After I'd swerved to avoid a drunk who was making a rapid if unsteady exit with a bit of bar staff 'assistance', I found myself the only customer in this bar. The landlord seemed civil, but I couldn't understand why he thought he could get away with 80 baht for a small bottle of beer when livelier bars were charging less. Perhaps it is a different bar with the live entertainment. The bar is in Na Muang Road.

Yes it is but 80 baht small beer? its 80 baht for a large leo which is about norm, i have no ties to this bar just my impression, a good bar friendly staff and can get busy on friday saturday nights.

What beer was you drinking? Heinekien most expensive 110 a large bottle, maybe a small one 80 baht?.

Probably Tiger, and definitely not Heineken (which is too sweet for me). I just remember that this was the most expensive and also the quietest of the bars I visited, But my visit was just a one-off at about 9.30 pm mid-week, and I didn't feel like buying a second or coming back the following night. Perhaps the bar girl over-charged me, though I did repeat the question to make sure i'd got it right. Anyway no big deal, but it did not make a positive impression.

Edited by citizen33

I live in a remote part of Maha Sarakham and get up to KK a couple of times a month. I love the place. The local farangs are friendly and I have only ever heard one say he did not like the place. I have stayed in 11 hotels in KK and my favourite is Mai Thai, which is just off Soi Bangkok (take the left turning opposite Tescos). It is a great modern 12 room hotel with swimming pool (numer 1 for b&b on tripadvisor) "owned" by Ronnie from York. Several local farangs go there for a beer and his excellent bacon sandwiches. Oh . . and just 500 baht a night.

If you want a good night out - Tawan Dang or you could try U Bar very popular with the young and beautiful Thais - good contemporary bands. I wandered into 99 last weekend . . similar to U Bar but with girls wearing bikinis pole dancing on tables.

Have fun.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

I live in a remote part of Maha Sarakham and get up to KK a couple of times a month. I love the place. The local farangs are friendly and I have only ever heard one say he did not like the place. I have stayed in 11 hotels in KK and my favourite is Mai Thai, which is just off Soi Bangkok (take the left turning opposite Tescos). It is a great modern 12 room hotel with swimming pool (numer 1 for b&b on tripadvisor) "owned" by Ronnie from York. Several local farangs go there for a beer and his excellent bacon sandwiches. Oh . . and just 500 baht a night.

If you want a good night out - Tawan Dang or you could try U Bar very popular with the young and beautiful Thais - good contemporary bands. I wandered into 99 last weekend . . similar to U Bar but with girls wearing bikinis pole dancing on tables.

Have fun.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks for that information. Sounds interesting too.

Can you say what soi the Number 1 bar is on please?