Bkk - Sfo Return Business For 85K...Anything I Should Know?

I am currently pricing flights for a trip later this month to San Francisco and am seeing some quotes for around B 85k from United, China, and JAL. This seems very cheap to me based on my prior experiences (usually B 110-125+ on the Asian carriers). What gives...is there anything I should know, other than that United is a crappy American carrier and that China at one time had a bad safety rap (and hence big discounts) but that was over a decade ago and has not had any "events" since that spat of "bad luck"? JAL is the Japanese flag carrier so should be a good experience (have never taken them).

Any comments on the business class service of these airlines much appreciated.

That price seems unbelievable, but I guess it could be a Z fare on UA? Is that a base fare, or all-in?

Personally I'd go with the airline which matches my FFP program as you do get a pretty good bonus for business class fares. If not that then seating, schedule would be the primary factors.

On UA it may be a crap-shoot: lie-flat BKK-NRT-SFO, or old-style on one or both segments.

When you say China do you mean Air China or China Airlines ? I found China Airlines (Taiwan) ok in J class. I'm surprised ANA isn't the same to match JL and UA that would be my choice (ANA), anyway United has forward facing and rear facing seats and it is a crap shoot on lie flat and yes very senior trollie dollies, you can use the TG lounge in BKK, there rest of UA's lounges are not that special except for the beer machine in NRT. Main meals on UA are OK but the snack service is pathetic-I repeat pathetic they offer wraps and bags of crisps. If you're into Japanese food you have to ask for it as soon as you sit down as they often run out and try to hold back offering them to farangs.

JL is superior in my opinion, Sakura lounge in BKK is nice but can get very full, onboard much nicer food than UA and seats are nice. JL has 4 differenct configurations for J class seats pick accordingly. When I flew them they called the seat flat but it was really an angled style which was fine for me. Food is good both Western & Japanese. If you're not a member of JL's FFP I would suggest if you join American Airlines FFP over JL's the site is really hard to navigate in English whereas AA's is simple.

Airline Equality has lots of reviews.

I am currently pricing flights for a trip later this month to San Francisco and am seeing some quotes for around B 85k from United, China, and JAL.

I flew to Las Vegas last year business class on United which is the exact same flight you're looking at (minus the SF --> Las Vegas leg, obviously). It wasn't as cheap as that but beware of one thing: the BKK to Narita leg is on their new business class with lie flat seats and is very good. The Narita - SF leg is on their old business class and is a bit duff.

They might have upgraded that sector since but I don't think so.

Thanks for all the feedback...yes, it would be China Airlines. Have checked-out a couple of YouTube vids of the UA NRT to SFO business service and it doesn't look too bad...especially considering if I get it for less than 100k...hopefully quite a bit less. I don't fly enough so airline mileage plans or card reward programs don't figure into my decision. I just want the best airline/service for a good price combination I can get at the time of booking, with no 3-stop ticketing or 15 hour layovers or 5 am departures smile.png

I usually take EVA on this route [currently quoting B 110k], but have taken Cathay, Korean, and the old Northwest in the past. Maybe it's time to give United a try. I think it's a code-share with ANA on the BKK=NRT leg and then a UA 747 (old?) from NRT into SFO. But will also do some more research on the JAL offering.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Some further checking shows Cathay is off the charts at over 150k; Korean and ANA are both around 110k.

What's wierd is this: At JAL's website, they quote the ridiculousness price of 285k (no that's not a typo...JAL Thailand quotes "285k") for business BKK-SFO on my selected date but the online travel agency I'm using (well regarded site in SE Asia) is still quoting 84k (108k all in) on a JAL flight. However, on further investigation, I see there is an 18 hr layover in Tokyo outbound and it looks like at least a 12 hour layover on the return. Still, if one had lots of time and didn't mind living in the JAL business lounge in Haneda for a day or so, it's 1/3 JAL's "normal" price.

So I'm sorta leaning towards United/ANA or Korean. I might give some preference to Korean as I've never been to Inchon airport and hear it's pretty nice.

Thanks...I see the lead article is about UA rebranding its premium class service with upgraded seats, food, and amenities. Sounds like just the ticket smile.png

However, there is also an actual service review and not an article on UA's "plans" and it's not so good:

http://www.airlinesanddestinations.com/airlines/review-united-airlines-businessfirst/ :(

Maybe back to an Asian carrier.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Until early October (Oct. 2 I think) UA operates BKK-NRT-BKK with a 777, and it normally has the new lie-flat config (IPTE). However UA is still updating the 777 fleet so last-minute swap-outs, to the older style, are not uncommon. As of Oct. 2 they plan to use a 747 on this segment, all of which have been updated.

For NRT-SFO, UA has two dailies, usually and perhaps seasonally, with the earlier (837/838) being a 747 and the later (852/853) a 777, so you could end up with the older style seats on one or both segments. You may not be able to connect to the earlier SFO flight as the MCT is an issue, again seasonally.

It sounds like your criteria are price and schedule, so it should be easy to prioritize your options?

Edited by lomatopo

Until early October (Oct. 2 I think) UA operates BKK-NRT-BKK with a 777, and it normally has the new lie-flat config (IPTE). However UA is still updating the 777 fleet so last-minute swap-outs, to the older style, are not uncommon. As of Oct. 2 they plan to use a 747 on this segment, all of which have been updated.

For NRT-SFO, UA has two dailies, usually and perhaps seasonally, with the earlier (837/838) being a 747 and the later (852/853) a 777, so you could end up with the older style seats on one or both segments. You may not be able to connect to the earlier SFO flight as the MCT is an issue, again seasonally.

Yes, ended up booking on United as they had the best fare but also the best schedule, with a total flight time of only 17 hours (but will have to depart BKK at 0600). However, the schedule follows the normal course of what my day would be...awake and work on plane/lounge...then sleep...wake-up and breakfast...then arrival in SFO at 0900 [same day of course] ready for a full day of work.

The total fare came to $ 3200 (around 96k) for Z-class business. Interestingly, on ANA, which code-shares with United on the NRT-SFO leg, it was about $600 (20k) more, and as most of the ANA flight would be on United anyway, I decided to book on United, as the savings would pay for 2/3 of my Stateside hotel costs for the trip. What I'm not really clear on is if my BKK-NRT let is on a UAL plane or ANA? Outbound, the BKK-NRT let is a 777-200 and NRT-SFO is a 747-400 (with the wierd to me front and back facing seat-pods). I chose one facing forward on the upper-deck. On the return, it's the 777-200 on both legs. (If I recall my seat selection correctly, there were also the front/back pods on the return SFO-NRT 777 as well.)

It's been many years since I've flown an American carrier and I've gotten pretty spoiled with the service and personnel aesthetics of the Asian carriers, so it will be interesting to compare the two again. What strikes me just from the websites is how all the Asian carriers go on and on about their in-flight services and meals, which rate barely a mention on UAL's website. And also, why does ANA have the most user unfriendly website (except for Thai) of any of the major Asian airlines? I saw on one review site mentioned about one UA flight not having anyone under 55 serving in business class...but as long as the seats big and there are some decent eats and lounges along the way, for 3k I can't really complain.

Oh, forgot to mention earlier, but never did get a quote for Thai (to LAX) as their booking/reservation engine continually crashed...so I see nothing's changed there over the years!

Edited by FarangBuddha

UA's Z class fares are the lowest price, most restrictive, capacity-controlled, APEX business class fares available and do represent a significant value in many cases.

Can you share the exact flight numbers? A 06:00 departure ex-BKK is UA metal for sure. Departing gate D-7. ;) You can use the TG lounge in concourse E, on the left side as this opens early.

I am curious about the advanced purchase requirement (APEX)? Is your departure date close in? 7 days? 14 days? 21 days?

Most 777-operated sectors default to the new config, so 40 business class seats vs. 49. This makes it easier for them to swap aircraft. Often my BKK-NRT-BKK, and even NRT-IAD-IAD segments show as the new config., and then on the day of travel they swap aircraft at the last minute so it can be very disappointing.

As your travel date approaches you should check your seat assignments, and even the flight status engine which allows you to view the exact aircraft by tail no., and see where it is coming from (into NRT bound for BKK the day before, for example), and even view the seatmaps. There is also an Android/iPhone app which allows this as well.

UA's Z class fares are the lowest price, most restrictive, capacity-controlled, APEX business class fares available and do represent a significant value in many cases.

Can you share the exact flight numbers? A 06:00 departure ex-BKK is UA metal for sure. Departing gate D-7. wink.png You can use the TG lounge in concourse E, on the left side as this opens early.

0600 BKK-NRT UA804 777-200 UnitedBusinessFirst (Z)

1600 NRT-SFO UA838 747-400 UBF (Z)

I am curious about the advanced purchase requirement (APEX)? Is your departure date close in? 7 days? 14 days? 21 days?

Yes, my departure is next Tuesday, 29 May (and I started looking yesterday, 20 May); so I guess that's a 14 day advanced purchase fare?. My schedule is very flexible so can wait till the last minute to book flights.

Most 777-operated sectors default to the new config, so 40 business class seats vs. 49. This makes it easier for them to swap aircraft. Often my BKK-NRT-BKK, and even NRT-IAD-IAD segments show as the new config., and then on the day of travel they swap aircraft at the last minute so it can be very disappointing.

As your travel date approaches you should check your seat assignments, and even the flight status engine which allows you to view the exact aircraft by tail no., and see where it is coming from (into NRT bound for BKK the day before, for example), and even view the seatmaps. There is also an Android/iPhone app which allows this as well.

Thanks for the heads-up on checking the seat assignment and the UA lounge access location at Swampy. So you are saying UAL actually flies some of their own planes all the way into Bangkok? I do travel somewhat frequently (just not so far as USA) and have never seen any United planes on the tarmac in Bangkok. However, I am usually not there at 0600, when this one leaves.

Edited by FarangBuddha

UA flies into BKK for sure. But some of the flights are code share with ANA. I had major problems with this on my last trip (eventually had to get an agent from UA to walk over to the ANA counter to get things straightened out). It was the early flight from BKK to NRT. The return was a UA plane.

UA flies into BKK for sure. But some of the flights are code share with ANA. I had major problems with this on my last trip (eventually had to get an agent from UA to walk over to the ANA counter to get things straightened out). It was the early flight from BKK to NRT. The return was a UA plane.

Did you have this same "UA804" flight number and are you saying it was a code-share so therefore you actually boarded an ANA liveried plane? Lomatopo was of the opinion that it was an actual United livery plane. Kinda confusing...would one check-in at a United desk or at the ANA counter? How does one determine if it's a code-share...there is no indication on the confirmation itinary that it is so would that indicate an actual United aircraft?

Can you share the exact flight numbers? A 06:00 departure ex-BKK is UA metal for sure. Departing gate D-7. wink.png You can use the TG lounge in concourse E, on the left side as this opens early.

Yes, my departure is next Tuesday, 29 May (and I started looking yesterday, 20 May); so I guess that's a 14 day advanced purchase fare?. My schedule is very flexible so can wait till the last minute to book flights.

Thanks for the heads-up on checking the seat assignment and the UA lounge access location at Swampy. So you are saying UAL actually flies some of their own planes all the way into Bangkok? I do travel somewhat frequently (just not so far as USA) and have never seen any United planes on the tarmac in Bangkok. However, I am usually not there at 0600, when this one leaves.

Yes, UA operate one daily flight between BKK and NRT with their own metal, typically it departs BKK between 06:00 and 07:15 and arrives BKK between 22:55 and 23:35. The aircraft overnights here, hence it arrives/departs in the dark so you'd rarely see a UA aircraft at BKK. wink.png . UA 804 is a UA aircraft.

Your ticket is actually a 7 day advanced purchase but it sounds like you may have purchased it through an alternate channel, aka a consolidator who may have purchased the inventory earlier? Normally waiting until the last minute means you will actually pay more, even though most find this concept difficult to comprehend.

Note that the lounge on the left side in Concourse E is NOT a UA lounge but rather a Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge, you will be given an entry card by UA when you check in.

Your flight BKK-NRT on the 29th is showing as a new config., and looks quite full, but as mentioned they can swap aircraft as early as 48 hours before departure. It has shown as a new config for the past few days. Usually they only swap out when I fly. sad.png

Usually, but always subject to change, the IAD-NRT aircraft (departed the day before) makes the NRT- BKK-NRT run.

You should check in with UA, Counter L, approx. mid-terminal, so doors 4 - 5- 6 ish. Flight UA 804 is UA metal.

A code share flight would have a four digit flight number typically beginning with 9, so UA 9710 would be operated by NH (ANA).

Edited by lomatopo

I had the most absolutely bizarre check-in in all my life. And I've flown well over 1MM miles, globally. So a very seasoned traveler.

Upon check-in, I found out my itinerary had been changed. Instead of BKK-NRT-LAX-LAS, it had a diversion to FRESNO between LAX and LAS! I checked in online around 10PM the night before. Somehow, somebody changed my flight after that.

I complained upon check-in to UA, and they said I'm actually departing on ANA, so need to speak with them. They were clueless. Went back to a "deer in the headlights" UA staff. After 90 minutes of dealing with this, I got the supervisor of UA to walk over to the ANA desk. Luckily, I was at the airport very early, so had plenty of time to deal with this.

Net: nobody knew what happened. But I had to deal with it at the UA desk at NRT. And eventually, UA gave me a very nice cash present for having to deal with this. Ended up being very good.

That's why I always recommend to travelers book direct with the airlines, or with a very good, and 24x7, travel agent. And always try to have the entire route with only 1 airline.

UGH...

I complained upon check-in to UA, and they said I'm actually departing on ANA, so need to speak with them.

Your ticket may have been issued by NH? If you were flying a code share like UA 9710, you should read the board to see where to check in. You would not check in with UA for a code-share flight operated by another carrier. If the ticket number began with 016 it would be UA stock, issued by UA and they could have examined the record, identified changes (there is an audit history), and made any corrections.

I've been dealing with the UA staff at BKK/CTO for 10+ years and universally find them to be exemplary. They typically cannot futz with a ticket issued by another carrier.

Yes, UA operate one daily flight between BKK and NRT with their own metal, typically it departs BKK between 06:00 and 07:15 and arrives BKK between 22:55 and 23:35. The aircraft overnights here, hence it arrives/departs in the dark so you'd rarely see a UA aircraft at BKK. wink.png . UA 804 is a UA aircraft.

Your ticket is actually a 7 day advanced purchase but it sounds like you may have purchased it through an alternate channel, aka a consolidator who may have purchased the inventory earlier? Normally waiting until the last minute means you will actually pay more, even though most find this concept difficult to comprehend.

Note that the lounge on the left side in Concourse E is NOT a UA lounge but rather a Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge, you will be given an entry card by UA when you check in.

Your flight BKK-NRT on the 29th is showing as a new config., and looks quite full, but as mentioned they can swap aircraft as early as 48 hours before departure. It has shown as a new config for the past few days. Usually they only swap out when I fly. sad.png

Usually, but always subject to change, the IAD-NRT aircraft (departed the day before) makes the NRT- BKK-NRT run.

You should check in with UA, Counter L, approx. mid-terminal, so doors 4 - 5- 6 ish. Flight UA 804 is UA metal.

A code share flight would have a four digit flight number typically beginning with 9, so UA 9710 would be operated by NH (ANA).

You seem to be a font of UAL knowledge...thanks. I purchased the ticket directly from United via their website at about 2 a.m. this morning (Thailand time).

I guess I shouldn't experience any of the issues Craig did as I am ticketed on a UA flight (bought and issued directly by United [eTicket]. smile.png I am also going on only one airline all the way into SFO.

On my return, the last leg, NRT-BKK, looks like I'm on that late arriving UAL plane you mentioned, as it gets in at 2305.

1259 SFO-NRT UA853 777-200

1830 NRT-BKK UA803 777-200

Edited by FarangBuddha

I complained upon check-in to UA, and they said I'm actually departing on ANA, so need to speak with them.

Your ticket may have been issued by NH? If you were flying a code share like UA 9710, you should read the board to see where to check in. You would not check in with UA for a code-share flight operated by another carrier. If the ticket number began with 016 it would be UA stock, issued by UA and they could have examined the record, identified changes (there is an audit history), and made any corrections.

I've been dealing with the UA staff at BKK/CTO for 10+ years and universally find them to be exemplary. They typically cannot futz with a ticket issued by another carrier.

Nope. Issued by UA, with check in at UA. UA flight number. BUT! It was a code share with ANA and NOWHERE on my ticket did it say ANA. Sneaky.

Nope. Issued by UA, with check in at UA. UA flight number. BUT! It was a code share with ANA and NOWHERE on my ticket did it say ANA. Sneaky.

Just when I thought I was in the clear...that muddies the water again :(

Guess just play it by ear...as it's business, the line won't be long so can check at both if have too.

I dont know about UAL, but I just returned from sfo to bkk, cost 45000 baht, first class round trip on EVA, used miles to upgrade from deluxe.

EVA doesn't have a first class, only economy, deluxe, and business. I guess you meant business. If that was one way, that's about 1/3 the cost of a return business ticket plus the miles.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Just when I thought I was in the clear...that muddies the water again sad.png

Guess just play it by ear...as it's business, the line won't be long so can check at both if have too.

I am not sure why any waters are muddied or you have to play anything by ear? Your ticket was issued by UA, you are traveling on UA metal. you will check in with UA at counter L, then board a UA aircraft at D-7. End of story.

craigt3365's posts are irrelevant to your travel plans. Trouble-shooting his problems after the fact is challenging and certainly not at all relevant to this thread.

I am not sure why any waters are muddied or you have to play anything by ear? Your ticket was issued by UA, you are traveling on UA metal. you will check in with UA at counter L, then board a UA aircraft at D-7. End of story.

craigt3365's posts are irrelevant to your travel plans. Trouble-shooting his problems after the fact is challenging and certainly not at all relevant to this thread.

It was just that he purchased his ticket from UA and his itinerary showed a UA flight number ["Issued by UA, with check in at UA. UA flight number. BUT! It was a code share with ANA and NOWHERE on my ticket did it say ANA"] but somehow his ticket ended up as a code-share because he ended up having to check-in and fly on ANA (at least for the BKK-NRT leg). He has not said, however, if his flight was this early 0600 departure.

I am a seasoned traveler so not worried...just curious and will certainly take your advice on check-in and the lounge (but will it be open like around 0500?).

It was just that he purchased his ticket from UA and his itinerary showed a UA flight number ["Issued by UA, with check in at UA. UA flight number. BUT! It was a code share with ANA and NOWHERE on my ticket did it say ANA"] but somehow his ticket ended up as a code-share because he ended up having to check-in and fly on ANA (at least for the BKK-NRT leg). He has not said, however, if his flight was this early 0600 departure.

I am a seasoned traveler so not worried...just curious and will certainly take your advice on check-in and the lounge (but will it be open like around 0500?).

It appears nothing can assuage you but for the third and last time, you are flying on a UA flight, operated by UA, in a plane painted with UA logos staffed with UA employees. Your ticket was issued by UA on UA ticket stock (016). You will check in with UA at counter L.

The TG lounge in Concourse E is open ~ 04:35 as I was there recently and there were ~ 10 other UA pax already in the lounge.

A code-share is flight marketed by one airline and operated by another. For BKK-NRT, in addition to UA 804 operated by UA and departing 06:00, there are two other UA code-shares:

UA 9710 departs BKK at 08:15 AM operated by NH (ANA)

UA 9688 departs BKK at 11:15 AM operated by NH (ANA)

If you were flying on either of these codeshare flights you would check in the NH. Entering the terminal you would look at the monitors and see these UA 9xxx fligths on the board and be directed to ANA check in counters.The UA check in counter would be closed, and unstaffed.

edited to add: Today's flight departed at 05:47! They push early if everyone has boarded. Looks like it was full, operated with the new, lie-flat config. One thing I would recommend is that you check the status of the in bound aircraft the day before you travel. So on May 28, 2012, NRT-BKK UA 803. Very, very infrequently this flight is cancelled, typically for MX reasons in NRT, which means the next monring's flight is also cancelled as there is no aircraft here. If you are aware of this and jump on it quickly you can address alternatives. Again, I stress that this happens very infrequently, maybe no more than 5 times in one year. Of course it has happened to me twice in ~ 35 departures.

Edited by lomatopo

I checked in with UA. At the UA counter. With UA staff and "thought" I was flying on UA metal. But wasn't.

For some reason, my itinerary was changed during the night. At NRT, the UA staff kinda whistled, indicating somebody had screwed up. Thus their generous financial offer to me after the trip. And free upgrades from NRT to SFO.

I am not sure if it was the 6am flight or not, but I think it was a later flight. Either way, it was a mess.

For sure, it's a one off thing. Has never happened to me in all my travels. Very bizarre.

I checked in with UA. At the UA counter. With UA staff and "thought" I was flying on UA metal. But wasn't.

For some reason, my itinerary was changed during the night. At NRT, the UA staff kinda whistled, indicating somebody had screwed up. Thus their generous financial offer to me after the trip. And free upgrades from NRT to SFO.

I am not sure if it was the 6am flight or not, but I think it was a later flight. Either way, it was a mess.

For sure, it's a one off thing. Has never happened to me in all my travels. Very bizarre.

For BKK-NRT were you scheduled to fly on a UA 8xx flight? Did you fly on a UA aircraft or a NH aircraft? Again, with little reliable detail I am guessing that this was an oversold situation and thus an IDB (your UA metal flight was oversold and you were moved to the NH flight), or even a cancellation and accommodation on NH (in this case you were lucky to depart). Given that the NH flight leaves nearly two hours later it can mess up connections downstream, requiring re-booking. In the olden days you should have received at least $600 in travel credits, and potentially a whole host of other ancillary benefits: upgrades, arrivals lounge, extra mileage credit, upgrades, replacement upgrades. The New UACO is less generous, to say the least.

For the OP you will also get a Fast-Track immigration card, which may be of little use at that time of day. I never use mine, saving them for a rainy day.

It appears nothing can assuage you but for the third and last time, you are flying on a UA flight, operated by UA, in a plane painted with UA logos staffed with UA employees. Your ticket was issued by UA on UA ticket stock (016). You will check in with UA at counter L.

The TG lounge in Concourse E is open ~ 04:35 as I was there recently and there were ~ 10 other UA pax already in the lounge.

One thing I would recommend is that you check the status of the in bound aircraft the day before you travel. So on May 28, 2012, NRT-BKK UA 803. Very, very infrequently this flight is cancelled, typically for MX reasons in NRT, which means the next monring's flight is also cancelled as there is no aircraft here.

I am totally grateful for you very helpful insights and suggestions. I'm sure they will make my flight an uneventful and pleasant one. Glad to hear the TG lounge is open this early.

Thank you for the heads-up regarding the small possibility of a flight cancellation and how to check on it beforehand. I will definitely do this. When this happens, what is UA's responsibility to the passengers on the flight? Like in my case, I have to leave LOS on the 29th as it's the last day of my visa validity. I assume they try to get you on the later code-share ANA flights to at least get the passenger to NRT, but like you note, many (including me) would have missed onward connections. However, there must be many flights from NRT to SFO per day on which they should be able to find the passenger in question a seat.