Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

[

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Maybe most men would not admit to having sex with a prostitute, but if she was attractive and not expensive there are very few men who would turn her down.

Most men I know in Thailand deny having sex with prostitutes, they all deny their wife/gf ever worked in a bar.

Whereas you are quite happy to admit your wife worked in a bar and you continue to have sex with prostitutes?

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely cheaper here.

In GBP terms I'm paying

£180 a month rent for a 3 bed house upper Sukhumvit, compared with £500 for a flat in Clapham, 6 years ago

£250 a year car insurance, compared with about £450, for an admittedly much better car.

80p a litre fuel versus £1.40 in the UK last I heard.

Nice meal in a decent little local restaurant ~£10 including drinks, would be hard pushed to get for under £30 last time I was in the UK

Cigs are maybe 1/5th the price, beer about the same in shops, but my local in a little village in England was Sukhumvit prices.

Weekend away by the beach change out of £200

Maid £150 a month. I don't even have any idea what that would cost me in the UK. I never asked, and don't think I ever knew anyone who employed domestic help.

Sony TVs, iPhones and designer goods cost what they cost anywhere in the world, maybe a bit more in Thailand. I don't really care because I can either find a decent alternative or stump up for a treat as needs be.

People complaining that Thailand isn't cheap any more, in my experience are either living a middle class western lifestyle in Thailand, eating cheese and drinking imported wine, or they are running out of money having tried to do that for the last few years on their dwindling savings. Both are fine but you have to be realistic. If you want to eat and drink like you would in London then it's going to cost. If you want to live a decent life here with the occasional treat then you can live quite well, in my opinion, on what would be poverty wages in the western world.

I wouldn't move back to London if you doubled my salary, and not because of the weather.

Not everyone is from London.

Ok i finally read all 23 pages. lots of great info for a newbie who is considering LOS as a retirement haven. thanks for all your comments.

I read the whole thread too and I have to say that most of it is just people arguing about inconsequential details. Is the preference of ones beer relevant to this thread of overall cost of living? Is the cost of a haircut such a large part of ones monthly budget that it deserves ten posts?

I joined this forum for information about Thailand, but it seems now that most of the information I scan through is completely irrelevant to the original post.

Welsome to ThaiVisa, this is what it's like on every thread.

Thailand attracts a huge market in the dentistry field.. why, because it is so much cheaper.

Both my wife and I both have our 6 months checks and related work , cleaning and hygienist performed in Thailand.

Excellent work, clean, fast and efficient.

Dentists are cheaper in UK than here last time I used one.

Thailand attracts a huge market in the dentistry field.. why, because it is so much cheaper.

Both my wife and I both have our 6 months checks and related work , cleaning and hygienist performed in Thailand.

If you are lucky to find a dentist in the UK who treat you on the NHS, that might be the case and judging by your avatar you were not so fortunate!whistling.gif .

I have been frequenting Japanese dentists in Thailand since I was a lad and they are exceptionally better value.

The same applies to Australia, it is unaffordable for many.

Last times I went

In the UK teeth cleaning 20UKP (1,000bht 5 years ago)

In Thailand teeth cleaning 600bht (2 weeks ago)

Root canal

In the UK 250UKP (12,500bht 5 years ago)

In Thailand 5,000bht (2 years ago)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

PP....using a dentist on the NHS doesnt count...laugh.png

If you are lucky to find a dentist in the UK who treat you on the NHS, that might be the case and judging by your avatar you were not so fortunate!whistling.gif .

I have been frequenting Japanese dentists in Thailand since I was a lad and they are exceptionally better value.

The same applies to Australia, it is unaffordable for many.

Never use a dentist on the NHS since I was 12 years old.

Always paid for my check ups and hygienest work when there.

Last times I went

Root canal

I rest my case!

Last times I went

Root canal

I rest my case!

He should have gone to a cheaper dentist, mine cost less than half that.

Last times I went

Root canal

My last teeth cleaning in a private hospital in BKK was 1800 Baht.

I'm surprised that it is cheaper in the UK.

Last times I went

Root canal

Teeth cleaning in the UK

London I paid GDP115, Phuket B1200

Last times I went

Root canal

I rest my case!

Too heavy to carry?

Your case, that is :P

• Like 1

No one is saying it's "can't" be cheaper ..... I was asking if it ended up cheaper and if people felt it was worth it. I don't spend any less than in the USA just spend it on different things is all.

Maybe I just don't understand what your spending more or the same on??? Yes, there are a few import items that cost more.... But my rent is 60% cheaper. All my utilities are cheaper, going to the movies is half.... Hell, I spend 12 bucks on a haircut at Supercuts or GreatClips in the States, here 90thb.

I guess you can spend more on other things if you save on other things here. If I made more money in the US, I would most likely spend more money too........

If you can't spend less money here than in AUS, UK, or USA then you need help. JMHOIME

Sorry for the late response, but here's just a few examples:

Go to an NFL football game, or a baseball game or an NBA game, or a Springteen concert.

Go snow skiing or skating on an open lake, or camping where you don't sweat up your sleeping bag.

Buy peanut butter, sour cream or sweet relish.

Head off to somewhere they have slot machines and blackjack tables- legal ones.

Go to visit my family in Texas.

Hit the open road for a weekend away from town- and not hit a toll booth for days...

You find it cheaper here because the indigenous stuff fits your lifestyle. So do I- not because it fits my lifestyle, but because I've made adjustments that I don't find unpleasant.

Some folks don't, and I don't find that surprising, or think that it indicates they need help. Could they spend less? Absolutely, but that's not the question.

Edited by impulse

I'm not too familiar with the prices in America but compared to Norway the prices in Thailand are in general 3-5 times lower.

Of course it's not cheap if you start comparing to Africa, but I would much rather go to Thailand. I found most things in Cambodia were just slightly cheaper than Thailand, apart from alcohol and tobacco which was much cheaper in Cambodia.

For the price of one beer in a bar in Oslo I could get drunk beyond repair in Phnom Penh bars. In Thailand, I would say slightly buzzed.

Edited by n00b

Last times I went

Root canal

Teeth cleaning in the UK

London I paid GDP115, Phuket B1200

as I said before, not everyone is from London.

Join the real world and you'll be able to pay real world prices.

I'm from Scandinavia, so everything is cheaper for me here - It's about 20% of the price in Scandinavia.

If it is a labour heavy service, its even lower...

Only thing more expensive here is food produced in Scandinavia and imported, but i don't eat that so often, so i can live with that smile.png

For me the greatest thing here, is the cost of eating out with friends. Nice dinners w/ bottle of whiskey or a beer tower is 10% of the price compared to a night out in Scandinavia....that makes the night out a bit more pleasant smile.png

As for small-town-Americans comming to live here, and keeping their lifestyle and food choices from home, yeah i think they would be spending more money here than home...

Hookers arent part of most people's life.

In Thailand, hookers are a part of most mens lives.

If they were as cheap and available in the rest of the world, they would be too.

I think most men wouldn't have sex with a prostitute even if it was free.

Maybe most men would not admit to having sex with a prostitute, but if she was attractive and not expensive there are very few men who would turn her down.

While such a belief may provide you comfort, I can assure you that is not the way most men think about women. Moreover, from what I have seen in Sukhumvit Soi 23 and 33, as well as visible red-light districts in Phuket, Pattaya, (and Amsterdam, Singapore, Rio de Janeiro, etc) prostitutes are some of the ugliest (and scattiest looking) women alive. Bearing this in my mind, as well as knowing what they "do" to earn a living, I am surprised anyone would dare to touch them, never mind share a bed (and more) with them... discuss

found most things in Cambodia were just slightly cheaper than Thailand, apart from alcohol and tobacco which was much cheaper in Cambodia.

Imported farang food in Siem Reap, better selection than Villa Market, was almost half price compared to Bangkok.

GF almost got a heart attack when she noticed how prices can be without the mafia monopolies in Thailand.

found most things in Cambodia were just slightly cheaper than Thailand, apart from alcohol and tobacco which was much cheaper in Cambodia.

But prepared food of a decent standard, not.

Yes to companionship, straight P2P less so but the non-pro upcountry keepers for sure and much higher quality.