Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

I have spent the majority of the past 7 years in Thailand.

Over the years prices have increased, but really I've found that due to the depreciation in currency. It just feels more expensive but really it isn't.

It is considerably cheaper then England. Going out for a meal at King Seafood, Ruen Thai, Hilton etc high end restaurants are easily 70% of the difference then eating at home. Alternatively like most mornings I do I get an omelette for 30bht.

Without sounding rude, if you think living in Thailand is expensive then you don't have enough money.

Compare an average wage to your home country to what they ear here. That's why it has become a haven for retirees.

Fed up of hearing people complaining, oh petrol gone up 2 baht, fish & chips at the village chippy has gone up 20baht etc

Stop looking for the bargain. Enjoy your life don't cheat yourself.

Regards

• Like 1

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, typical Expat that has a job but won't share any details because he is afraid of the competition. hahahaha - Let's see if you are any different than 99% of the rest of EXPATS claiming to live and have a great job in Pattaya or Thailand in general. Disclose where you work, what city and lastly what you do.

I'm sure my credentials and experience are more than marketable although I am not interested in a job as I own 3 companies already none of which are in Thailand. 20+ years in tech and SAT communications, Masters Degree in International business, undergrad in communications, many certifications that are globally recognized, project and program management, government grade network security - ever heard of the CIA, FBI. DoS, DoD or NORAD smile.png LOL. You say it's easy but in reality it's not in Thailand.

It is more a matter of luck and who you know than skill.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Anyone can quote pedigrees and yes, I've got a bunch of acronyms behind my title also, but at the end of the day, who are you trying to impress?

One has to ask, if you have 3 international companies to manage, all from your secret lair "somewhere" in SEA, just how do you find time to post on TV?

Worked in Thailand onshore for a majority Thai owned company for 4 years and earned the same as I would have in Australia. 15 other expats in the same office earning comparable money to home country salaries. The right experience and skills will be rewarded irrespective of the country. I was listening to a bitter sounding young woman being interviewed on the BBC last night and she was lamenting the fact she could not find a decent job even though she had a degree. As the interview progressed it was revealed her degree was in philosophy. I laughed out loud, I mean really when was the last time you saw a vacancy for a philosopher advertised?? Here was this angry young woman blaming the 1% and spouting off all the usual left leaning setiments you hear these days for the fact she could not get a job after wasting 4 years of her life obtaining a degree in philosophy.

Well, she could always become a Barrista. Starbucks is always hiring. wink.png

Thank you, although general information and not specific at least you came out and said something although the addition of the snide remark remains. I have thick skin though so "no worries." Seems I have taken this thread off topic, I will let it proceed hopefully back on topic. Congratulations with your current position and I hope you continue your success in Thailand.

I believe you have confused this thread with another that you started, asking where people work. This is not that thread.

Over the years prices have increased, but really I've found that due to the depreciation in currency. It just feels more expensive but really it isn't.

It is considerably cheaper then England. Going out for a meal at King Seafood, Ruen Thai, Hilton etc high end restaurants are easily 70% of the difference then eating at home. Alternatively like most mornings I do I get an omelette for 30bht.

Without sounding rude, if you think living in Thailand is expensive then you don't have enough money.

Compare an average wage to your home country to what they ear here. That's why it has become a haven for retirees.

Fed up of hearing people complaining, oh petrol gone up 2 baht, fish & chips at the village chippy has gone up 20baht etc

Regards

Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated! I am sure we will all carry out some extremely deep reflection now.coffee1.gifzzzzzzzzzzzzcoffee1.gif As regards your other post, may I ask who you are to insult the more ":mature" fraternity.?

Edited by edwinclapham

When comparing costs the real issue is quality of lifestyle v price and it is not simply a matter of comparing costs of items against those in the west. It is also about walking out onto a clean street and expecting the traffic to actually obey the road rules or if you're ill having access to good health care and drugs at minimal cost. Relying on police to actually deliver a service to you and be held accountable if they don't. Access to a transparent justice system, free libraries etc etc. These things have also got to be taken into account when assessing cost comparisons.

This country is not the USA or UK, where is this idyllic country situated?

When comparing costs the real issue is quality of lifestyle v price and it is not simply a matter of comparing costs of items against those in the west. It is also about walking out onto a clean street and expecting the traffic to actually obey the road rules or if you're ill having access to good health care and drugs at minimal cost. Relying on police to actually deliver a service to you and be held accountable if they don't. Access to a transparent justice system, free libraries etc etc. These things have also got to be taken into account when assessing cost comparisons.

Most of us lucky enough to come from a western background are far wealthier than most thais even if we have little money. For most of us if worst comes to worst, we can return to our home countries, receive unemployment benefit and access cheap housing. Yes, I know its not perfect there either, but we are inherently wealthy by virtue of our birthright.

If you value those things then you should return to or stay in Singapore or Switzerland.

I don't, at all. Would much rather have the freedoms and accompanying risks that come living here, and would be willing to pay a lot more in my cost of living to get it.

The fact that it's available at a lower price than the stifling nanny state environment back home is the real miracle.

• Like 1

Most of us lucky enough to come from a western background are far wealthier than most thais even if we have little money. For most of us if worst comes to worst, we can return to our home countries, receive unemployment benefit and access cheap housing. Yes, I know its not perfect there either, but we are inherently wealthy by virtue of our birthright.

If you value those things then you should return to or stay in Singapore or Switzerland.

I don't, at all. Would much rather have the freedoms and accompanying risks that come living here, and would be willing to pay a lot more in my cost of living to get it.

The fact that it's available at a lower price than the stifling nanny state environment back home is the real miracle.

I share your preference for the liberty that expat life here affords but, while I wince at the thought of returning to the UK to live, the fact is that whenever I encounter a Thai who can't do basic mathematics without a calculator, I thank my stars for seeing to it that I was born and raised a subject of the realm.

I daresay the millions of Thais who find themselves systematically disadvantaged and disenfranchised by their richer, better-connected neighbours throughout the course of their lives would undoubtedly give their right arms for a fair shake on the level playing field that the rule of law at least attempts to create.

Personally, I would rather not dismiss it in such a cavalier manner

• Like 2

I seriously can't even believe what i'm reading. If living cheaper is one of your goals/requirements, and you can't do it here vs the US or Uk, you need to work on your money management skills. The capacity to live cheaper here is almost unlimited, of course it depends on how far you want to take it, but it is definitely cheaper if you want/need it to be. I also agree with the sentiments that on the same amount of money here you are living a better lifestyle.

My main costs here that make my spending comparable to total costs living back home are schooling and running 2 cars, costs which I wouldn't have back in UK. But then I get paid more here and save more.

Oh, and buying a condo is more expensive here than buying a house back in UK.

As a rule, if I see an EPL footballer rock up in a club where I am, I get up and leave.

Mate, what would you do if you went to a club here in BKK and met someone from the Thai Premiere League. Some of these players are Afs.

Well I doubt I'd recognize any Thai Premier League player.

Back in London, there's kinda no mistaking Cristiano Ronaldo or Ashley Cole

Mate, Ronaldo quit the EPL a couple of years ago. He plays for Real Madrid.

You're either a troll or a prick.

and you think Ronaldo couldn't just hop in his private jet and nip over to London for a night out when he feels like meeting up with his old mates from England?

I seriously can't even believe what i'm reading. If living cheaper is one of your goals/requirements, and you can't do it here vs the US or Uk, you need to work on your money management skills. The capacity to live cheaper here is almost unlimited, of course it depends on how far you want to take it, but it is definitely cheaper if you want/need it to be. I also agree with the sentiments that on the same amount of money here you are living a better lifestyle.

My main costs here that make my spending comparable to total costs living back home are schooling and running 2 cars, costs which I wouldn't have back in UK. But then I get paid more here and save more.

PP I don't understand your last comment - what areas are you comparing because to me condos/houses (certainly in Pattaya) are a lot cheaper than equivalents in southern UK?

@ transom ,

Yup she will run off and find a dude like you ,and go for drives in your pretend V8 ,or stay and go for a drive I'm my real one

As one poster stated riding high on the hog ,well if I am there must be some body clinging on to the butthole ,is it you sir ?

Not nice is it when I assume your dreamer living off buttons ......Is it ?

Thanks for assuming she is a money grabbing skank

Don't have 600 UK a week to spend on a lady, don't have a V8 anymore, BUT, l don't have a wife that requires annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyy where neeeeeeeeeeeear your outlay.

Good luck to you. rolleyes.gif

PS. Some of us older tongue.png guys have been there and done it, seems you haven't yet, again good luck.smile.png

Haha ...bitter now are we

Read the posts raising a family ,not keeping a girl ,please quote correctly

I have a v 8 it's cool ,did somebody take yours away ?

I tend not to get in to silly arguments with posters here ,but you like poking ,from your first comment to your last

Now that you don't get your own way

Read back ,and since you know so much know this ,I stated I was paying for a very nice car prior to any thing else ,it was included in my initial ,monthly breakdown .It was purchased on finance ,now you been around so long should know I couldn't get finance ,not been a local and all

Finance in Thailand to a women in her twenties ,to the amount of a new car ,with a v8 donk in it ,do the sums

She wasn't exactly poor when I met her

We are having a family ,baby is six months old ,she hasn't returned to work yet ,but when she does my outlay as you put it will be considerably reduced

Oh back to the v8 ,and I'm sure as a man with a interest in cars you will there are not to many new V8 getting built and sold in Thailand ,luckily she knew the guy who owned the dealership ,friend of her daddy ,he bought his car there too !

Nice dude gave us a good price on her old car as a depoist ,same brand you see !I'm sure you can figure it out the brand and model ,

Don't assume you know me or her for that matter ,look around you open your eyes there are wealthy people all over Thailand

I don't take advice from older guys who don't have a button to their name and their one saving grace is that the women in their life loves them for the poor miserable sod they are ,

Oh I have a 67 mustang too ,only a Windsor block a baby donk you might call it ,,it's in oz ,her family connections are gonna see if they can help me bring it to Thailand ,but that ain't easy ,then I'll have 2 V8s compared to your none

Next time try to be a bit more polite

Regards

Steve

clap2.gif

Didn't it once top the 'Most Boring cities in the World" poll?

Actually it's a great town, used to nip across the border from Vermont for dirty weekends, like a very cheap trip to Paris but much friendlier natives. Summertimes only of course.

I share your preference for the liberty that expat life here affords but, while I wince at the thought of returning to the UK to live, the fact is that whenever I encounter a Thai who can't do basic mathematics without a calculator, I thank my stars for seeing to it that I was born and raised a subject of the realm.

I daresay the millions of Thais who find themselves systematically disadvantaged and disenfranchised by their richer, better-connected neighbours throughout the course of their lives would undoubtedly give their right arms for a fair shake on the level playing field that the rule of law at least attempts to create.

Personally, I would rather not dismiss it in such a cavalier manner

My comments on personal preference as to where to live were specifically based on having all the advantages of being raised back home and then living here as an adult.

And my comments about overly burdensome regulation stifling economic innovation certainly are not in opposition to rule of law and level playing fields.

Yes I completely agree with you that the education system and corruption are fundamental flaws of Thai society. As my children get older I realize that I really should try to find a way to bring them back to farangland, but like you wince at the sacrifice to my own happiness.

However I'd like to point out that there are very few countries that don't have large segments of their population "systematically disadvantaged and disenfranchised by their richer, better-connected neighbours". It's just that here it's the vast majority rather than specific minorities.

Oh I have a 67 mustang too ,only a Windsor block a baby donk you might call it ,,it's in oz ,her family connections are gonna see if they can help me bring it to Thailand...

the first advisable step is to use your Thai family connections to procure a top quality rubber sheet to protect your mattress from the proceeds of your wet dreams laugh.png

• Like 1

what if i have a v12

may be mistaken!, but I believe there is a Klingon TV member who drives an elderly V12 around the Patters area. He tends to limit his comments to air conditioning and the current financial crisis.

ph34r.png

this Klingon added another much more elderly 6-in-a-row a couple of weeks ago to his V12. the "6" is double the age of the "12", namely 43 years old but looks as new as the "12" smile.png the reason why he limits his comments to airconditioning and finances and never refers to his V8 is that he hardly ever drives the V8 because it is most of the time driven by his wife's driver.

post-35218-0-39963600-1337832667_thumb.j

Regards

i second your comments and add "anybody who claims that life in Thailand is more expensive than in UK (or any other European country) possesses a wealth of no idea how expensive Europe is!" dry.png

addendum: and that applies to Australia too!

Edited by Naam

Where is Montreal?

I think its a place where you need a snow shovel in the winter and you can build a snow man in the garden too if that is a hobby of yours. thumbsup.gif

Didn't it once top the 'Most Boring cities in the World" poll?

Probably not, it's a fun city, you should try visiting sometime. BTW - I was looking at a bunch of websites listing the world's most livable cities.Can't seem to find one that lists a city from the UK. Must be an oversight. (Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary in the top 5 - poor old Montreal only made it to number 24) :D

Just my view but life here is a whole lot cheaper than the UK. Every week I get emails from my Brother moaning about his cost of living and I have to put up with him showing me what his Electricity, Gas, Water and Council Tax bills are every time he gets one !

The only up side to this torrent of crap is that it makes me realise just how cheaply we actually live here compared to life in the old country. If you have a young family then your life will obviously be more expensive, but all the arguments about holes in pavements or Policeman's tea money etc are irrelevant in my view. I know where I would rather be.

Hey naam ,another jea,lous one ,how bout you send me a your email and I'll send you a pic of the stang,in front of me house in Perth Australia

Then you can beat one off too

laugh.png , you don't know who naam is and his life style in LOS. I do, and his E-Type jag, 850 BMW Oh forget the others. laugh.png

Hey naam ,another jea,lous one ,how bout you send me a your email and I'll send you a pic of the stang,in front of me house in Perth Australia

i'm not interested in bread-and-butter cars such as "stangs" located thousands of miles away wink.png

• Like 1

laugh.png , you don't know who naam is and his life style in LOS. I do, and his E-Type jag, 850 BMW Oh forget the others. laugh.png

Awesome ,

Should I know who he is he looks like the Klingon dude from his pic and I doubt his name is Naam. i have often wonderered about people who boast about people they know ,oh my mates loaded and drives a E-type ,wonderered if naam mentions you ,to his other friends ,my mate who doesn't have a car,wished he did but he don't ! Ideally doubt it ,grow up Transam .

Naam your post regarding my wet dream ,receives an answer that offers proof as opposed to the total bollicks I read on here ,and then you slag of the car .

naam I'm glad you have a lifestyle to envy ,thing is if you have the things that ol mate here seems to get a hard on about ,I admire you ,i dont get jealous well done ,nice car ,some day I'll hopefully own one too

true compared to a E-type a stang is bread and butter ,but better than no car at all

On another point if you have had some experience importing older cars in to Thailand ,I'd gladly listen (I know it isn't easy and I know it isn't cheap )

That is what this forum is for I believe ,or maybe I'm completely mistaken.

Steve

what if i have a v12

may be mistaken!, but I believe there is a Klingon TV member who drives an elderly V12 around the Patters area. He tends to limit his comments to air conditioning and the current financial crisis.

ph34r.png

this Klingon added another much more elderly 6-in-a-row a couple of weeks ago to his V12. the "6" is double the age of the "12", namely 43 years old but looks as new as the "12" smile.png the reason why he limits his comments to airconditioning and finances and never refers to his V8 is that he hardly ever drives the V8 because it is most of the time driven by his wife's driver.

How do I apply for the job as your wife's driver?

PP I don't understand your last comment - what areas are you comparing because to me condos/houses (certainly in Pattaya) are a lot cheaper than equivalents in southern UK?

Sold my 2 bedroom terraced house in UK for GBP 50,000, (currently 2.5 million Baht), bought a 2 bedroom condo in Pattaya for 5.5 million Baht. Prices still around the same in UK and am currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom house for around 100~120k which is still cheaper than a Pattaya condo.

Sold my 2 bedroom terraced house in UK for GBP 50,000, (currently 2.5 million Baht), bought a 2 bedroom condo in Pattaya for 5.5 million Baht. Prices still around the same in UK and am currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom house for around 100~120k which is still cheaper than a Pattaya condo.

Do you mind saying where as those were the prices 20 years ago where i lived?