Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

Didn't it once top the 'Most Boring cities in the World" poll?

Actually it's a great town, used to nip across the border from Vermont for dirty weekends, like a very cheap trip to Paris but much friendlier natives. Summertimes only of course.

I concur. I used to visit from Burlington, Vermont pretty often and Montreal is a very nice city. However, I rather live in Thailand than either of those places and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if i have a v12

may be mistaken!, but I believe there is a Klingon TV member who drives an elderly V12 around the Patters area. He tends to limit his comments to air conditioning and the current financial crisis.

ph34r.png

this Klingon added another much more elderly 6-in-a-row a couple of weeks ago to his V12. the "6" is double the age of the "12", namely 43 years old but looks as new as the "12" smile.png the reason why he limits his comments to airconditioning and finances and never refers to his V8 is that he hardly ever drives the V8 because it is most of the time driven by his wife's driver.

And hiring maids.

My main costs here that make my spending comparable to total costs living back home are schooling and running 2 cars, costs which I wouldn't have back in UK. But then I get paid more here and save more.

Oh, and buying a condo is more expensive here than buying a house back in UK.

PP I don't understand your last comment - what areas are you comparing because to me condos/houses (certainly in Pattaya) are a lot cheaper than equivalents in southern UK?

Sold my 2 bedroom terraced house in UK for GBP 50,000, (currently 2.5 million Baht), bought a 2 bedroom condo in Pattaya for 5.5 million Baht. Prices still around the same in UK and am currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom house for around 100~120k which is still cheaper than a Pattaya condo.

Do you mind saying where as those were the prices 20 years ago where i lived?

North England.

Pretty much the same in North West and North East

I seriously can't even believe what i'm reading. If living cheaper is one of your goals/requirements, and you can't do it here vs the US or Uk, you need to work on your money management skills. The capacity to live cheaper here is almost unlimited, of course it depends on how far you want to take it, but it is definitely cheaper if you want/need it to be. I also agree with the sentiments that on the same amount of money here you are living a better lifestyle.

My main costs here that make my spending comparable to total costs living back home are schooling and running 2 cars, costs which I wouldn't have back in UK. But then I get paid more here and save more.

PP I don't understand your last comment - what areas are you comparing because to me condos/houses (certainly in Pattaya) are a lot cheaper than equivalents in southern UK?

Sold my 2 bedroom terraced house in UK for GBP 50,000, (currently 2.5 million Baht), bought a 2 bedroom condo in Pattaya for 5.5 million Baht. Prices still around the same in UK and am currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom house for around 100~120k which is still cheaper than a Pattaya condo.

Pattaya is a place where house/condo prices have been inflated for expats near the sea.

You'd have to compare to London or Brighton prices. House/condo with pool £1 million and that's not including security or village facilities.

We all came to Thailand for our own personal reasons, but we all have something in common, and that something is that we find certain aspects of the Thai cultural experience attractive. We did not come here to live the western life style.

So To compare prices from a western life style, to prices from a Thai lifestyle, is incorrect.

If you own your own house, which you build for a lot less than the west, and your own car, for which you payed a little more than in the west, but will last you a very long time .then life can be very inexpensive

.If you don't have the above, and is trying to duplicate a western lifestyle , then life will be more expensive, simply by virtue of the fact that you are trying to recreate an environment that is not natural to the region.

I bet if your UK property had the kind of setting and facilities available in your Pattaya one they'd be worth more eh?

And personally I can't believe people would pay so much for property when rents are so cheap, especially since you've got no long-term control over the commons charges end up in effect paying rent anyway if/when the place starts to require expensive maintenance.

Just as an exercise calculate the buy-to-rent ratio (# of rental months to get to the purchase price) and compare that between the three properties you're discussing. I'll bet you find the Pattaya one astronomically higher. . .

Actually it's a great town, used to nip across the border from Vermont for dirty weekends, like a very cheap trip to Paris but much friendlier natives. Summertimes only of course.

I concur. I used to visit from Burlington, Vermont pretty often and Montreal is a very nice city. However, I rather live in Thailand than either of those places and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

On the main street. 24hrs a day sushi/asian restaurant. They keep 30 different curries and other south eastern asian meals around the clock on the display.

30-120baht each

Portions? more filling than the crap they sell on the street in thailand

Please show me one useful thing that isnt disgusting like cigs that is cheaper in thailand, i am almost sure that you cant.

Major cities in Thailand are only cheap if you're royalty like naam or if you want to live like an homeless but with a roof instead of a cardboard.

We still have illegal immigrants working for as cheap as the burmese if you look hard enough.

Edited by Hostile17

Where is Montreal?

I think its a place where you need a snow shovel in the winter and you can build a snow man in the garden too if that is a hobby of yours. thumbsup.gif

Probably not, it's a fun city, you should try visiting sometime. BTW - I was looking at a bunch of websites listing the world's most livable cities.Can't seem to find one that lists a city from the UK. Must be an oversight. (Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary in the top 5 - poor old Montreal only made it to number 24) biggrin.png

If it wasn't Montreal it was Toronto.

Pattaya is a place where house/condo prices have been inflated for expats near the sea.

You'd have to compare to London or Brighton prices. House/condo with pool £1 million and that's not including security or village facilities.

Why? I wouldn't want to live in London or Brighton Pattaya is in no way comparable to those places.

I bet if your UK property had the kind of setting and facilities available in your Pattaya one they'd be worth more eh?

And personally I can't believe people would pay so much for property when rents are so cheap, especially since you've got no long-term control over the commons charges end up in effect paying rent anyway if/when the place starts to require expensive maintenance.

Just as an exercise calculate the buy-to-rent ratio (# of rental months to get to the purchase price) and compare that between the three properties you're discussing. I'll bet you find the Pattaya one astronomically higher. . .

That's why I said I have a better standard of living for the same cost.

Why? I wouldn't want to live in London or Brighton Pattaya is in no way comparable to those places.

It's comparable to Brighton on what property costs compared to the rest of the UK and Pattaya to the rest of Thailand.

You're comparing what looks like one of the cheapest places in the UK to quite an expensive place in Thailand.

You should be comparing the place in the UK to some cheap northern Thai town. Where B500K or under I would imagine get you a similar sized house secondhand house.

On another point if you have had some experience importing older cars in to Thailand ,I'd gladly listen (I know it isn't easy and I know it isn't cheap )

That is what this forum is for I believe ,or maybe I'm completely mistaken.

Steve

You're barking up the wrong tree with that approach when dealing with the Klingon, Steve.

You may have heard it said that most people would prefer to evoke envy in their fellow man than admiration; well the acerbic Klingon is the living embodiment of this. He may very well be wealthy and possessed of a fleet of breathtakingly beautiful automotive hardware but he's most definitely the type of individual who prefers to sneer at the efforts and achievements of others.

I doubt he'd piss on you if you were on fire so don't expect anything positive in the way of advice.

His motto is almost certainly, "I'm alright, Jack; pull up the ladder".

• Like 2

It's comparable to Brighton on what property costs compared to the rest of the UK and Pattaya to the rest of Thailand.

You're comparing what looks like one of the cheapest places in the UK to quite an expensive place in Thailand.

You should be comparing the place in the UK to some cheap northern Thai town. Where B500K or under I would imagine get you a similar sized house secondhand house.

But I can't own a house in Thailand so I have to compare it to condos, of which Bangkok and Pattaya are the main sources.

So if YOU want to compare the costs to a comparable UK city you'd be better off picking Blackpool, Scarborough, Morecambe or Cleethorpes because Brighton does not reflect the propery prices of the whole of UK.

You'd have to compare to London or Brighton prices. House/condo with pool 1 million and that's not including security or village facilities.

I think the equivalent to Pattaya in UK would be one of the crappier seaside towns on the south coast, eg Hastings. Even in Hastings, decent houses costs over 20 million baht, where as I have seen decent houses advertised in Pattaya for 10 million.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

We all came to Thailand for our own personal reasons, but we all have something in common, and that something is that we find certain aspects of the Thai cultural experience attractive. We did not come here to live the western life style.

So To compare prices from a western life style, to prices from a Thai lifestyle, is incorrect.

Cheap beer/ciggies/snatch is the only "Thai cultural experience" that I find attractive hence I live a full western lifestyle.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

On another point if you have had some experience importing older cars in to Thailand ,I'd gladly listen (I know it isn't easy and I know it isn't cheap )

Steve

Steve, i have explored all avenues and can tell you that it is impossible for us small fry Farang mortals to import an old car paying a fair percentage of import duties. that's why i had to pay a multiple for my BMW and a multiple for my E Type compared to the prices abroad. if you really want a "stang" in Thailand you will find one (i think). but be prepared to pay through your nose.

• Like 1

If it wasn't Montreal it was Toronto.

Yes, Toronto is (or at least used to be) seriously boring and unattractive, nothing like Montreal.

I believe due to its anglo roots.

I was born and raised in Toronto, boring as hell, high end quality of life health etc. but it has become a canyon of overpriced condos. Montreal on the other hand is dynamic, women are gorgeous, food amazing, music, art, entertainment - great city. But, like all Canadian cities, expensive to live there now.

Steve

Steve, i have explored all avenues and can tell you that it is impossible for us small fry Farang mortals to import an old car paying a fair percentage of import duties. that's why i had to pay a multiple for my BMW and a multiple for my E Type compared to the prices abroad. if you really want a "stang" in Thailand you will find one (i think). but be prepared to pay through your nose.

And the 4 pot diesel implant just doesn't hit the right notes. biggrin.png

There are two notch back Mustangs floating around near me that sound like taxis. laugh.png

Edited by transam

Steve

Thanks for that ,I guessed it was a long shot ,it's a car I bought a long time ago ,love it to bits and really don't want to sell it and purchase a different one

I have a small connection ,that may be willing to help me ,but as always it's a price thing and a trust issue

I know of one guy that has imputed a old car from the states ,with this connection ,but I'm not so sure still

I do I will let you know ,maybe it's a ave you might want to look at yourself

Just let me know and I can pm you some details if you want to know more

Regards

I guess Montreal is behind other canadian cities(except vancouver which is suposed to be amazing to live in) and a few other cities because of who makes the list(snobs and fat bloggers who've never left their small town). But pretty much any canadian city will be cheaper than bangkok/pattaya/phuket and offer everything in better quality. Also you're never more than 35mins by car from an amazing scenery/trekking spot/top notch mountain anywhere in canada.

Everyone i see defending thailand in most threads are either germans or from the UK.. Aren't these the 2 western countries with the worst/least culture? I have never heard anyone wanting to visit those countries for more than a week each, after that they've seen everything and are quite bored with it.

Edited by Hostile17

Everyone i see defending thailand in most threads are either germans or from the UK.. Aren't these the 2 western countries with the worst/least culture? I have never heard anyone wanting to visit those countries for more than a week each, after that they've seen everything and are quite bored with it.

Mate, there really is no nobility in ignorance.

• Like 2

I guess Montreal is behind other canadian cities(except vancouver which is suposed to be amazing to live in) and a few other cities because of who makes the list(snobs and fat bloggers who've never left their small town). But pretty much any canadian city will be cheaper than bangkok/pattaya/phuket and offer everything in better quality. Also you're never more than 35mins by car from an amazing scenery/trekking spot/top notch mountain anywhere in canada.

I really like Montreal. Beautiful city. If you could take the French Canadians out it would be perfect.

Sure; that's why huge numbers of people from the North American Continent want to spend millions of dollars every year visiting the UK and Germany. They also stay a great deal longer than a week and most moan that they don't have enough time to see even a third of what they wanted to see, so they return year on year to see more. Seems you are living a very blinkered life and/or know absolutely nothing about Europe.

• Like 1

Sure; that's why huge numbers of people from the North American Continent want to spend millions of dollars every year visiting the UK and Germany. They also stay a great deal longer than a week and most moan that they don't have enough time to see even a third of what they wanted to see, so they return year on year to see more. Seems you are living a very blinkered life and/or know absolutely nothing about Europe.

Actually those with half a brain usualy end up visiting france/italy and smaller countries. Very few visit the uk or germany more than once, usualy left to the backpackers.

UK/Germany isnt europe, its the 2 worst countries in europe and everyone moaning about the west is almost always from those countries, just as most of the fat men on a stool every night are also from those two countries.

These threads would be a lot more objective if people from the uk/germany had ever visited more western countries than their own.

Anyways my point is

USA and Canada is cheaper than thailand and you get better standards. That's it. Personally i dont care about 'nanny states' because idiots need someone to baby sit them or they end up killing themselves and others at a very high rate like in thailand.

Edited by Hostile17

Steve

Mate - you got a photo of these cars?

Steve

Mate - you got a photo of these cars?

Yes he has, so do I. smile.png