Police In Novel Response To Crash-helmet Offenders

george

Police in novel response to crash-helmet offenders

KHON KAEN: -- Police in Muang Khon Kaen, grappling with a wave of crash helmet thefts, will soon start loaning them to motorcyclists instead of fining people for riding without one.

A motorcyclist arrested for the first time for not wearing a helmet will be loaned one and will have to return it to the police in the next few days, said Pol Lt-Colonel Kanit Duangdee.

Anyone who had not yet been able to replace a stolen helmet and needed to ride to a different district was also welcome to borrow one from the station, he added.

He said he was close to securing sponsorship deals with private companies to supply 500 helmets.

Kanit said the police had received a large number of complaints about stolen helmets and were working on anti-theft solutions to the problem, which is widespread in several districts of Khon Kaen and neighbouring Udon Thani province.

Stealing a helmet left tied to a bike while the rider is away can be done by simply by cutting the strap or even burning through it with a lighter, making it an easy crime of opportunity.

Kanit called on helmet thieves to stop, even though it was a petty crime.

Helmet snatchers are not career criminals, he said, but mostly wayward teenagers who are easily tempted by attractive designs on helmets, or motorcyclists without helmets who feared being fined by traffic police.

One university student said she had lost several helmets to thieves and once had to walk to class to avoid being fined by the police because she could not yet afford to buy a replacement.

Another student said he had had three helmets stolen since October, although the last two were old ones that he had hoped would not attract thieves’ attention.

Strangely enough, motorcycle street racers and general enthusiasts are unlikely to be suspects in helmet thefts, according to a young motorcycle mechanic. “These people and most that I know create unique designs on their helmets. And they only ever use their own helmets,” he said.

--The Nation 2006-01-03

I used to own a motorcycle overseas. There was a small hook under the seat that then locked when the seat was closed. This kept the helmet from getting stolen, however, it didn't stop people from taking a wiz in it!!

KHON KAEN: -- Police in Muang Khon Kaen, grappling with a wave of crash helmet thefts, will soon start loaning them to motorcyclists instead of fining people for riding without one.

A motorcyclist arrested for the first time for not wearing a helmet will be loaned one and will have to return it to the police in the next few days, said Pol Lt-Colonel Kanit Duangdee.

Anyone who had not yet been able to replace a stolen helmet and needed to ride to a different district was also welcome to borrow one from the station, he added.

He said he was close to securing sponsorship deals with private companies to supply 500 helmets.

Kanit said the police had received a large number of complaints about stolen helmets and were working on anti-theft solutions to the problem, which is widespread in several districts of Khon Kaen and neighbouring Udon Thani province.

Stealing a helmet left tied to a bike while the rider is away can be done by simply by cutting the strap or even burning through it with a lighter, making it an easy crime of opportunity.

Helmet snatchers are not career criminals, he said, but mostly wayward teenagers who are easily tempted by attractive designs on helmets, or motorcyclists without helmets who feared being fined by traffic police.

One university student said she had lost several helmets to thieves and once had to walk to class to avoid being fined by the police because she could not yet afford to buy a replacement.

Another student said he had had three helmets stolen since October, although the last two were old ones that he had hoped would not attract thieves’ attention.

Strangely enough, motorcycle street racers and general enthusiasts are unlikely to be suspects in helmet thefts, according to a young motorcycle mechanic. “These people and most that I know create unique designs on their helmets. And they only ever use their own helmets,” he said.

--The Nation 2006-01-03

Where the hel_l do they keep thinking of these stupid ideas? Surely the money could be better spent on more efficient policing!!

I used to own a motorcycle overseas.  There was a small hook under the seat that then locked when the seat was closed.  This kept the helmet from getting stolen, however, it didn't stop people from taking a wiz in it!!

Here they'll just cut the strap to steal it.

Yes, happened to me already.

--The Nation 2006-01-03

The logical way to remedy this problem is for police to set up roadblocks and demand that anybody who does not have a helmet on or has a helmet that has a broken strap. purchases one on the spot or pays a fine.

Everybody in Khon Kaen does not bother to wear or carry a helmet with them after 8pm anyway...dunno if this happens in other cities, but it seems like madness as all the drunk drivers are about.

Interesting idea by the Khon Kaen plod, but why not simply enforce the law? We know that the law requires us to wear a helmet, if we don't then we get what we deserve....paying tea money, rearranged face, brain damage, even death. Pampering to the idiots doesn't seem the way to go IMO.

Leaving your helmet on your bike is like putting a sign on it......nick me please. Again, anyone leaving their helmet on their bike gets what they deserve. Ok it's too much hassle to carry it round with you, ahh, poor you, buy a car instead.

Saying all that brings it back to TIT, that's the way it is here :o

Leaving your helmet on your bike is like putting a sign on it......nick me please. 

Agreed. Especially more so with top brand names.

'Shoei' I think is Japanese for "I'm expensive and can be sold for a couple of cans of beer or a few tabs of Ya-Ba". :D

First thing I did when getting my last bike was to fit a top box on it. It not only serves the purpose of carrying items and provides a backrest for a passenger, but also allows for helmet storage. :o

I have one of those "I'm expensive and can be sold for a couple of cans of beer or a few tabs of Ya-Ba" helmets, and a top box!

Mine's only a cheaper OGK which means whoever steals and then sells it can only buy a rice meal. Only Gin Kow. :o

I have one of those "I'm expensive and can be sold for a couple of cans of beer or a few tabs of Ya-Ba" helmets, and a top box!

Mine's only a cheaper OGK which means whoever steals and then sells it can only buy a rice meal. Only Gin Kow. :o

i thought mine was safe attached under the seat on the hook with metal ring, what is the point of cutting it and stealing, it will no longer buckle, have deploy my cable lock also then.

Many places in Thailand appear to be immune from widespread helmet theft. I've left my (much-used) 9,000 baht helmet on the mirror stalk almost all the time. Only once did we get helmets stolen, and that was in Phuket City, where the rental lady warned us it would happen. But in Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, etc., it never seems to happen.

I believe in buying expensive helmets. It's amazing to go back to the West, or even to Bangkok, and seeing 12,000 baht helmets anchored to motorcycles using 2,000 baht or 5,000 baht locks. Of course, some of those bikes cost 495,321.23 baht.