What It's Like In Thailand's Deadliest Prison

webfact

Bang Kwang and its ilk may not be nice places, but then again they aren't supposed to be. Prisons in some countries are rather like country clubs.

As the old saying goes "If you can't do the time...........etc"

I find this sort of view totally naive and medieval in outlook. How can we expect anyone to be integrated back into society if they are subject to criminality in prison? Take a troubled individual and send them to a breeding ground for vice and violence... great idea Einstein!

Most conveniently ignore the fact that the vast majority of people in jail are in for non violent crimes - failure to pay taxes, driving without a license etc. Most Governments would like us to believe that prisons are full of murderers, rapists and armed robbers but the facts are very different; such inmates make up a very small fraction of the total number of convicts.

One particular case will always stick in my mind - UK, painter & decorator supporting a family of 5 single handed, lost his license for speeding, continued to drive as vital to his work, caught driving without a license or insurance - 2 years in jail. His children watched in tears as he was lead away, then were promptly taken into care.

Next case - Grievous Bodily Harm, community service and a small fine, man left court laughing his head off and threatening to "do him in properly next time".

Next case - Cultivation of marijuana with intent to supply - community service and a small fine, man left court in his BMW M3 with a big smile on his face, smoking a large hand rolled "cigarette".

That is the reality of jails, they aren't filled with evil, violent cons, they're full of quite normal people who've either been unfortunate or stupid. Sadly by the time they leave they will probably have picked up a few nasty habits to bring back to society...

This painter could have sat on his arse living of benefits in a council house but instead got out there and tried to earn an honest living. He made a mistake, no one was hurt, he didn't profit from it, yet his and his families life were ruined as a result of it.

I detest those so quick to judge based on false preconceptions. If you really believe that jails should be nasty places akin to medieval dungeons with widespread torture and rape, you need locking up yourself; that sort of perverted view is, in my opinion, the real danger to society. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what modern society is and should be.

Jail should be about education, rehabilitation and deprivation of freedom, no more and no less.

In the examples you have given it does seem ludicrous that the painter would get 2 years.

Often people who can afford good legal representation can avoid jail time. Convincing liars are also advantaged.

Drug users and the marginalised of society are also over represented in society.

Many people who go to jail come out far more knowledgeable criminals than when they went in, having learned the tricks of the trade and built up contacts. Coming outside and trying to find a job must be very difficult.

I hope I never end up in prison. One mistake, one drikn too many, taxes avoided. It can happen to anyone.

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first link in post 4 brings us to another book by T. M. Hoy; "The Nature of Religion", which, it is said there, explores the horror and madness of human beliefs.......... And available as a low-priced kindle elsewhere.

How about the madness of an eye for an eye, and other such wishes not uncommon in expression on this site, from some of those who perceive wrongdoing. Our own mercy and compassion could allow whatever karmic experience is due, to balance the scales---- in its own time! It is difficult for a human to judge whether karma is being resolved, or whether it is karma initiated. The same applies to of those who hurl condemnation and punishment freely, as conditioned by cultural upbringing. If the kneejerk response of some of us here is karma initiated, watch out. What goes around, comes around. I express no malice here, but encourage the few to get a grip and live from the heart.

• Like 2

Bang Kwang and its ilk may not be nice places, but then again they aren't supposed to be. Prisons in some countries are rather like country clubs.

I find this sort of view totally naive and medieval in outlook. How can we expect anyone to be integrated back into society if they are subject to criminality in prison? Take a troubled individual and send them to a breeding ground for vice and violence... great idea Einstein!

Most conveniently ignore the fact that the vast majority of people in jail are in for non violent crimes - failure to pay taxes, driving without a license etc. Most Governments would like us to believe that prisons are full of murderers, rapists and armed robbers but the facts are very different; such inmates make up a very small fraction of the total number of convicts.

One particular case will always stick in my mind - UK, painter & decorator supporting a family of 5 single handed, lost his license for speeding, continued to drive as vital to his work, caught driving without a license or insurance - 2 years in jail. His children watched in tears as he was lead away, then were promptly taken into care.

Next case - Grievous Bodily Harm, community service and a small fine, man left court laughing his head off and threatening to "do him in properly next time".

Next case - Cultivation of marijuana with intent to supply - community service and a small fine, man left court in his BMW M3 with a big smile on his face, smoking a large hand rolled "cigarette".

That is the reality of jails, they aren't filled with evil, violent cons, they're full of quite normal people who've either been unfortunate or stupid. Sadly by the time they leave they will probably have picked up a few nasty habits to bring back to society...

This painter could have sat on his arse living of benefits in a council house but instead got out there and tried to earn an honest living. He made a mistake, no one was hurt, he didn't profit from it, yet his and his families life were ruined as a result of it.

I detest those so quick to judge based on false preconceptions. If you really believe that jails should be nasty places akin to medieval dungeons with widespread torture and rape, you need locking up yourself; that sort of perverted view is, in my opinion, the real danger to society. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what modern society is and should be.

Jail should be about education, rehabilitation and deprivation of freedom, no more and no less.

Wrong. Dead wrong. Critics of the penal system routinely try to net all the true criminals along with those falsely accused or otherwise somehow wrongly imprisoned; to "hide" by trying to fall in line with them. Yes, there are those - and the system does a great disservice to society when it allows innocents to be imprisoned under such circumstances. It's wrong; it's barbaric; it's inhuman to subject an innocent person to imprisonment. It's wrong that it happens due to financial circumstances or "sponsorship" by powerful individuals or due to oversentencing for petty offenses or regulatory infractions.. Yes - all of that wrong. But that doesn't we can't and shouldn't distinguish the true criminal from the jaywalker, and that the true criminal doesn't deserve his fate.. FOR the guilty - violent offenders, extortionists, thieves, drug pushers and drug users (yes, including users....), etc. - prison is and should be a place of punishment. Education & rehabilitation are secondary concerns when the person concerned truly is a predator and deserves to be locked up (and society deserves to be protected from HIM!).

In the examples you have given it does seem ludicrous that the painter would get 2 years.

Often people who can afford good legal representation can avoid jail time. Convincing liars are also advantaged.

Drug users and the marginalised of society are also over represented in society.

Many people who go to jail come out far more knowledgeable criminals than when they went in, having learned the tricks of the trade and built up contacts. Coming outside and trying to find a job must be very difficult.

I hope I never end up in prison. One mistake, one drikn too many, taxes avoided. It can happen to anyone.

I think you hit the nail on the head "It can happen to anyone".

This notion that all ex-cons are dangerous criminals is absurd and perpetuates this circle of crime, as does this notion that prison should simply be a place of absolute punishment and torture; it's absurd.

It just creates a breeding ground for more criminals who having left the system can't get employment and will fall straight back into crime as a necessity of survival.

I can understand this sentiment in say the 1100s but in the 21st century? Really?

• Like 2

Until they find a way of bringing reoffending rates down to around 0%, I don't see the benefit to society of releasing criminals from prison.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Two things I find very strange here - both severe inconsistencies:

1. Remember the Bulgarian(?) arms dealer who was arrested at Don Muang a couple of years ago, and who was eventually shipped off to the US after spending some time in a BKK prison? After being in jail in the US and before his trial, he said that Thai prisons were like "holiday camps compared with the ones he had been in in the US.

2. My stepson is in a Thai prison after conviction for transporting drugs. My wife and I visit him regularly and have always taken advantage of the "open-prison" (for families) days. I have to say that I am constantly amazed at the leniency (slackness?) of the prison staff and of the conditions in which he lives. eg He often borrows a guard's cell phone to ring home, he eats well and engages in his sole passion - playing football - every day of his life, on the full sized football field they have inside there. (He even has his full gear, boots and all, inside for this purpose.)

The issue of multiple person cells should be put into a Thai cultural context - Thais are quite happy to do this inside or outside of prison, and they are not "cells" as such but rather large "bedrooms" where they all sleep on roll-up mats on the floor. Strange, even repulsive, for a Westerner, but this is not too different to many situations I have seen whilst living amongst the locals in Thailand.

I have no doubt there are "bad" Thai prisons, as there are in many countries including the US and Australia. But these should not be considered as representative of all of them.

Regardless of the crime there are basically two types of prisoners, the one time criminal and the habitual criminal. The one who transgresses once and the one who makes a career of crime and if punished re offends. The first type needs rehabilitation, the second type needs punishment.

This is my simplistic view.smile.png

• Like 1

so these days, they hire ex-cons to be journalists.... loooooooooool

God forbid hiring an ex-con....? Whatever next?! A black man for President, a woman as PM?!

Many brilliant journalists are "ex-cons" having spent time behind bars at some point or other chasing down sensitive stories or trying to expose corruption of those in power.

Pretty irrelevant really given this guy isn't a journalist, he's the author of a single book, which I guess he'd struggled to have written without being an ex-con, given the subject matter...

Maybe. However, if an ex-con is going to write a book and try and make a mint out of his/her experience, then that isn't exactly fair justice in the end, is it? More like, 'yes, get help with a book and experiences, even go so far as to get it published, but have the decency to take away any royalties, and other financial benefits, and have them given to children in need and battered wives..... for sake of their needs, and prevention of future family crime from said selves and future generations.'

-mel.

so these days, they hire ex-cons to be journalists.... loooooooooool

God forbid hiring an ex-con....? Whatever next?! A black man for President, a woman as PM?!

Many brilliant journalists are "ex-cons" having spent time behind bars at some point or other chasing down sensitive stories or trying to expose corruption of those in power.

Pretty irrelevant really given this guy isn't a journalist, he's the author of a single book, which I guess he'd struggled to have written without being an ex-con, given the subject matter...

Maybe. However, if an ex-con is going to write a book and try and make a mint out of his/her experience, then that isn't exactly fair justice in the end, is it? More like, 'yes, get help with a book and experiences, even go so far as to get it published, but have the decency to take away any royalties, and other financial benefits, and have them given to children in need and battered wives..... for sake of their needs, and prevention of future family crime from said selves and future generations.'

-mel.

It has nothing to do with "fair justice" - the very notion of being an EX-con, note the deliberate emphasis on EX, is that said person has already served their sentence.

What you are effectively saying is that if someone makes a mistake they should have to pay for that mistake for the rest of their life and be considered sub-human. Ridiculous stuff, being human means making mistakes and learning from them. I'm afraid there would be no progress if everyone was so quick to condemn others.

No-one is forced to buy these novels, it's totally at the discretion of the consumers. You fail to recognize that people with real life experiences, positive and negative, make for the very best teachers, being able to teach from experience with conviction rather than pontificate about a life they know so very little about because they've been so sheltered and never experienced it first hand.

I guess all ex-cons should regularly flog themselves, and offer up their bodies as doormats to those as squeaky clean and perfect as you...

Edited by Ferangled

A U.S. State Department study found that every year spent in a Thai prison is equivalent (in damage done to body and mind) to five years in a standard U.S. prison

Anyone have any luck finding this study?

Since there is such a wide variety of prison environments in the US and such a wide variety of ages, physical conditions and mental states of persons when they first enter prison and not much objective data collected either in the US or Thailand on the state of individuals before or after their stay in prison, it seems like any "study" would simply be subjective and anecdotal.

US government agencies like to blow money on dubious studies, but this sounds like something the author manufactured to substantiate his point ... whatever that might be.

If you see many guys coming out of prison in the US, they are pretty dam_n buff since they spend so much time working out / lifting weights. Almost makes me want to go to a Thai prison for 2 1/2 months to come out looking like a guy who spent a year in a US prison pumping iron.

Edit: Pumping iron only .. no need for any other pumping.

Edited by Nisa

I detest those so quick to judge based on false preconceptions.

Seriously doubt your 'stories'.

Maximum sentence for Driving whilst Disqualified is 6 months. Not 2 years.

I detest those so quick to judge based on false preconceptions.

Seriously doubt your 'stories'.

Maximum sentence for Driving whilst Disqualified is 6 months. Not 2 years.

I am not from the UK but would think speeding would also equate to a fine and not a suspended license. I would also think that even while under a typical suspension you could get an exception for driving to and from work if your livelihood depends on it. I will also guess further that a first offence for driving while suspended (no other issues involved) would not likely result in any kind of jail time that couldn't be substituted for community service work or something. Again, not from the UK but would guess these things to be true.

This is certainly not to say that some people are sentenced to jail/prison unfairly but just that this story seems to be missing a great deal of information.

Edited by Nisa

-mel.

I am not sure how writing a book will work out for him. I believe there is a law in the US that prevents people from profiting from their crimes. So if he writes a book, I don't believe he can get the money from the sale of the books.

He might be able to get a bit-part in the movie though.

A rather nasty, inflammatory and personal post has been removed as well as a reply to it.

Edited by Scott

Mr. Hoy describes people being beaten to death by guards in this prison without any legal recourse. People on other posts for Thai Visa describe how murder can so easily be paid for in Thailand. He's trying to bring to light the violence and injustice of this penal system. It doesn't sound like he is trying to make an easy buck but trying to open people to the horrors that are hidden in Thai society. He then makes a comparison with the American prison system, saying it is even more brutal than the Thai system. Prison culture is also hidden and obscured in America and prisons are ways of destroying people's lives through a so-called legal system where they end up in prison, possibly raped or beaten or killed. This should be brought to people's attention more often.

Prisons are meant to rehabilitate criminals but that rarely is ever the case. Mostly it brings out the worst in human behavior. Punishment is needed at the same time for certain violent crimes including rape, and pedos. In the end prisons just breed better criminals when prisoners are released. Not in all cases of course but more times than not.

-mel.

I am not sure how writing a book will work out for him. I believe there is a law in the US that prevents people from profiting from their crimes. So if he writes a book, I don't believe he can get the money from the sale of the books.

Interesting point and wonder if it would apply to him. Clearly some states in the US bar profiting from a crime in terms of writing books and such but I am not sure if it is on a Federal Level. I am not even sure if this guy served his time in a Federal Prison or a State facility.

What is curious too is the crime wasn't committed in the US but he served time in the US. So, I would only be guessing but I would think that the crime / offense would have to also be in some way transferred to the US. Be kind of strange to serve 11 years in prison in the US and be able to say you have no criminal or arrest record in the US.

My guess is he somehow is exempt from these laws unless he is donating all the proceeds to the victim.

Life sentence "for not reporting a friend"? Life sentences are not handed down for minor offences, and that sounds like a VERY self-serving description of whatever he was charged with.

I suggest aiding and abetting wouldn't rate that, so possibly accessory to murder (or Thai equivalent)?

Funny how this seems more like an advertisement for a book than a news story. How could the basic facts about his crime be omitted. I mean claiming a life sentence "for not reporting a friend" is basically saying he got screwed beyond belief but there is no further mention of this or any clarification that his crime was more than this. Bottom line is it paints him as not being to credible.

Life sentence "for not reporting a friend"? Life sentences are not handed down for minor offences, and that sounds like a VERY self-serving description of whatever he was charged with.

I suggest aiding and abetting wouldn't rate that, so possibly accessory to murder (or Thai equivalent)?

Funny how this seems more like an advertisement for a book than a news story. How could the basic facts about his crime be omitted. I mean claiming a life sentence "for not reporting a friend" is basically saying he got screwed beyond belief but there is no further mention of this or any clarification that his crime was more than this. Bottom line is it paints him as not being to credible.

It is a book. T.M. Hoy is the author of Rotting in a Bangkok Hilton: The Gruesome True Story of a Man Who Survived Thailand's Deadliest Prison.

-mel.

Interesting point and wonder if it would apply to him. Clearly some states in the US bar profiting from a crime in terms of writing books and such but I am not sure if it is on a Federal Level. I am not even sure if this guy served his time in a Federal Prison or a State facility.

What is curious too is the crime wasn't committed in the US but he served time in the US. So, I would only be guessing but I would think that the crime / offense would have to also be in some way transferred to the US. Be kind of strange to serve 11 years in prison in the US and be able to say you have no criminal or arrest record in the US.

My guess is he somehow is exempt from these laws unless he is donating all the proceeds to the victim.

It is just a treaty between countries to allow prisoners to serve out the balance of their time in their home country and each country is different for how long they must spend in Thailand first. That obviously upsets the prisoners from countries that have to spend a longer time in a Thai prison.

I really do not give a sh*t...

Bad prisons in Thailand compared to USA big big surprise..

Who cares.... do the time...

If you are a criminal, do like smart people do.. read before-hand about local laws, culture, healthcare, etc.. and in this case JAILS....

Be a smart (i.e. informed) criminal at least..

giggle.gif

-mel.

It is just a treaty between countries to allow prisoners to serve out the balance of their time in their home country and each country is different for how long they must spend in Thailand first. That obviously upsets the prisoners from countries that have to spend a longer time in a Thai prison.

Understand but it doesn't address any of the questions ... Is the crime transferred to the home country? Does this mean they have a record in their home country? Do they server state or federal time?

A quick search, seems to indicate they crime would be transferred to the home country, at least when it comes to Canadians in the US looking to serve their time in Canada.

Canadians convicted of crimes in the U.S. and serve their entire sentence there have no criminal record in Canada after they're deported back to their home country and are not given a supervised release.
This means that a criminal record would not show up on the Canadian Police Information Centre if that person were ever stopped by authorities.

In addition the links below would seem to indicate this is the case too with such things as the receiving country being able to Pardon the offender.

It also looks like they do their time in a Federal Prison which would mean the crime they commit in another country has to also be a Federal Crime in the US. http://www.justice.g...ns-arrested.pdf

If anyone is curious, also found the Thai - US treaty .. http://www.justice.g...thailand-us.pdf

But going back to the original thoughts of if this person being able to profit from his crime, I believe there are only state laws in the US related to this and not Federal Laws and appears this crime would fall under Federal Jurisdiction. Also after more consideration, not sure if a book about prisons could be considered profiting from his crime.

Edit: Just read a review of the book and it seems he doesn't even get too into the actual crime in the book.

the cover copy suggests it was related to his failure to report a friend for murder, and documents reproduced inside suggest he was charged officially as an accessory
Edited by Nisa

Prison any place in the world is bad enough. Prison in third-world countries, to include Thailand, would be a nightmare.

Unfortunately, criminals serving time in a "nightmare" jail or any jail often leave victims behind who suffer nightmares for the rest of their lives.

Merely a fact.

• Like 1

Off topic posts have been removed. If "vaguely" off topic posts are not removed, topics generally get sidetracked to off topic discussions, then they are even tougher to clean up.

Comments on moderation have been removed.

Prison any place in the world is bad enough. Prison in third-world countries, to include Thailand, would be a nightmare.

Unfortunately, criminals serving time in a "nightmare" jail or any jail often leave victims behind who suffer nightmares for the rest of their lives.

Merely a fact.

I am confused why there are so many stories about whether prisons are good enough for criminals

As far as I am concerned, they are very lucky to be fed and to have a roof over their heads

There are many millions of law-abiding people in the world who can barely afford such comforts

Merely a fact.

I am confused why there are so many stories about whether prisons are good enough for criminals

As far as I am concerned, they are very lucky to be fed and to have a roof over their heads

There are many millions of law-abiding people in the world who can barely afford such comforts

You really are confused if you believe there is such a clear cut black and white divide between "criminals" and "law-abiding citizens".

Personally I see people breaking the law daily and believe the reality is that 99% of the population of most countries would be under lock and key if all laws were enforced and "justice" applied equally to all.

If conditions are really so good, and you find yourself struggling to eat and find shelter, I suggest you go and get yourself arrested and enjoy these comforts first hand. It really begs the question why these millions of law abiding citizens struggling for survival don't do just that?

Yes you are right; prison inmates are a nice bunch of guys/girls and we should spend even more taxes on making sure they are comfortable (because tax is so low these days)

Maybe we should stop sending money to all them less deserving starving children in Africa and spend it on new gym equipment and bigger televisions for the prison population

Come on!... while a few prison inmates might be more silly than evil, it is crazy to spend time worrying about the level of comfort felt by the prison population as a whole, given the huge number of victims they as a group have left in their wake

Never mind, the bigger problems facing the world today...