Citizenship Offer In Thailand

Felix Lynn

The following story appears in today's Nation. Thousands were given citizenship but on the list I didn't see any Euros, Americanos, Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks, Latins or Africans. Do we ever get Thai Citizenship? What does it take to get it? Any prejudice here? What's your take on this?

IMMIGRANTS: Thousands given Thai nationality

Published on January 03, 2006

Approval of 13,827 citizenship requests is biggest in Thai history, Kongsak says; Highlanders form the largest group. Almost 14,000 migrants and their children were granted Thai nationality yesterday, the biggest such approval in history, Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wantana said.

Of the 13,827 approved, 4,272 were migrants to Thailand, while 9,555 were children who had been born here.

The total comprised 2,279 Vietnamese, 3,175 Burmese, 6,363 highlanders, 704 Nepalese, 28 Tai Lue, 287 tribal people, 978 Chinese (ex-military Chinese from Yunnan, also known as Jeen Hor), and 13 from ex-Communist Malaysia.

“This is the result of years of working. In some cases it took as long as three years to complete the inspection and confirmation process,” Kongsak said.

“It is my policy to grant nationality as quickly as possible, as I consider it has a huge impact on people’s lives. Many children and young people face difficulties in their studies and work without Thai nationality, even though they were born in Thai territory.”

Kongsak admitted that the approval process had in the past been very slow due to security issues, and previous ministers therefore being reluctant to issue approval.

The proposals were checked at district level first before passing to the provincial level for a second check and then on to the national level in Bangkok, he said.

“To qualify for citizenship, applicants have to show that they do not pose any risk to national security, could be of benefit to the Kingdom and paid taxes,” the interior minister said.

“This is the highest number of approvals of the past seven ministers, and has taken five months of work under my administration.

“I am pretty sure that all of them are qualified to be Thais. In the worst case, if a mistake has been made in the approval processes, we should be able to trace it.”

However, the minister did not reveal how many people who had submitted requests were still waiting for their green cards.

Who in their right mind would want to become a citizen if you were from a developed western country?

May be no visa runs or anymore visa hassles but that is about the ony benefit - maybe getting into Kao Yai park on the cheap would be good as well.

I am pretty sure that all of them are qualified to be Thais.

What the hel_l does that mean? That they can eat spicey food and drive motorbikes dangerously? They aren't bothered by the sounds of dogs barking all through the night.

The following story appears in today's Nation. Thousands were given citizenship but on the list I didn't see any Euros, Americanos, Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks, Latins or Africans. Do we ever get Thai Citizenship? What does it take to get it? Any prejudice here? What's your take on this?

I think it's fair enough. If you look at the figures the majority of them are children born here to migrant families. It sounds like almost all of the 13,827 don't have a pot to piss in and are trying to gain a better life by becoming Thai citizens.

I'm pretty sure Thai citizenship has a lot more benefit for them than it does for us.

Of the 13,827 approved, 4,272 were migrants to Thailand, while 9,555 were children who had been born here.

The total comprised 2,279 Vietnamese, 3,175 Burmese, 6,363 highlanders, 704 Nepalese, 28 Tai Lue, 287 tribal people, 978 Chinese (ex-military Chinese from Yunnan, also known as Jeen Hor), and 13 from ex-Communist Malaysia.

Who in their right mind would want to become a citizen if you were from a developed western country?

May be no visa runs or anymore visa hassles but that is about the ony benefit - maybe getting into Kao Yai park on the cheap would be good as well.

Er...someone who wanted to belong to this country?

Er...someone who wanted to own land?

Er...someone who wanted to stop paying tax in USA?

Er...someone with family here who wants to ensure they can remain here with their family forever?

Lots of answers, perhaps you should ask Bill Heineke why he decided to become a Thai citizen; will you ask him whether he was in his 'right mind' when he did so? Can I listen in when you do, it should be good for a laugh :o:D

Regarding the statistics, clearly the reporter has provided an overall number (almost 14,000) of which 9,555 were born here. The remainder were migrants. Since the numbers add up to 13,827 by those nationalities, then this is probably not the entire total of citizenships given out, rather just the number for that subset listed out alone.

We are not told the numbers of Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Yanks, Nigerians, Iraqis etc also gaining citizenship. However, if I am reading correctly, just because they are not newsworthy enough to be stated (given that it is probably 100 from Australia, 86 from NZ etc) but it doesn't mean there aren't any.

It is not a particularly onerous task to gain citizenship compared to some other countries (excluding the citizenship by marriage which is particularly slow in Thailand and ridiculously fast in some other countries). Get a category of visa, work for instance. Work here. Get residency in 3 yeas. 2 years after that become a citizen. Easy.

Sort of.

No restrictions; whites, non-whites, Amish. Whateva. You can do it. Pretty much the same process for all.

I would think Monaco, Saudi and Japan might be a little trickier than this at a guess.

Er...someone who wanted to belong to this country?

Er...someone who wanted to own land?

Er...someone who wanted to stop paying tax in USA?

Er...someone with family here who wants to ensure they can remain here with their family forever?

Lots of answers, perhaps you should ask Bill Heineke why he decided to become a Thai citizen; will you ask him whether he was in his 'right mind' when he did so? Can I listen in when you do, it should be good for a laugh :o:D

Regarding the statistics, clearly the reporter has provided an overall number (almost 14,000) of which 9,555 were born here. The remainder were migrants. Since the numbers add up to 13,827 by those nationalities, then this is probably not the entire total of citizenships given out, rather just the number for that subset listed out alone.

We are not told the numbers of Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Yanks, Nigerians, Iraqis etc also gaining citizenship. However, if I am reading correctly, just because they are not newsworthy enough to be stated (given that it is probably 100 from Australia, 86 from NZ etc) but it doesn't mean there aren't any.

It is not a particularly onerous task to gain citizenship compared to some other countries (excluding the citizenship by marriage which is particularly slow in Thailand and ridiculously fast in some other countries). Get a category of visa, work for instance. Work here. Get residency in 3 yeas. 2 years after that become a citizen. Easy.

Sort of.

No restrictions; whites, non-whites, Amish. Whateva. You can do it. Pretty much the same process for all.

I would think Monaco, Saudi and Japan might be a little trickier than this at a guess.

Re the marriage part, I know a bloke how had been married for 27 years to a Thai, and living here. He still isn't a citizen. Being married here has little if any legal weight with the gov! Good luck to those who manage to become citizens, but for ordinary mortals, it is nigh on impossible.