Odourless Durians To Hit The Market

Lite Beer

KING OF FRUITS

Odourless durians to hit the market

Thai News Agency

30182636-01_big.jpg

Uttaradit on Tuesday introduced two new varieties of odourless durians, which are expected to generate wealth for the province.

Uttaradit Governor Yothin Samutkhiri said that the new durian varieties, the odourless, seedless 'Longlaplae' and 'Linlaplae' fruits, were developed in the province, which boasts the largest durian orchards in northern Thailand covering 27,000 rai (over 10,600 acres) of land.

The specially bred durians weigh about one kilogram each, with perfectly formed fruits.

Announcing the Laplae district durian fair, which runs from May 31 to June 3, Yothin said the season for the two new varieties will begin in June. The province expects to produce about 20,000 tonnes this year, generating income of least Bt900 million for producers.

Apart from fresh durian, processed products made from the spiky fruit, such as durian chips, preserved durian paste and durian spicy salad or somtam, together with varied local dishes, will be available at the upcoming fair, the governor said.

The spiky Asian fruit called durian has long been known for its penetrating and pungent odour and is offensive to those who do not have an acquired taste for the fruit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-23

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's progress I guess.

I always said that durian looks (and smells) less like something you'd like for dessert and more like something you would lob with a catapult at your most hated enemies.

• Like 1

Hotel operators will breath a sigh of relief...haha... but seriously, I suspect the mew product may not be as popular as they expect - I am sure that to the converted, its just as much the scent of the fruit as the flavour that adds to the experience. I dont find the smell offensive at all, although I dont eat it much these days - maybe all these years in Asia and I am used to it... I am sure black klongs still stink though...

Duran can taste very good (after one adjusts to the smell), but it often is over ripe or not soft enough or something that makes it less than great. I usually only eat it when it is at its cheapest - like this time of year.

At least the results of beer-durian fermentation should be less odiferous and offensive, albeit messy.

"I have been told by a number of people that beer can be fatal, if drunk within a few hours of eating durian. This is apparently on account of some fermentation process, which causes your bowels to explode."

• Like 1

Duran can taste very good (after one adjusts to the smell), but it often is over ripe or not soft enough or something that makes it less than great. I usually only eat it when it is at its cheapest - like this time of year.

I too find that the durian has a very narrow time window when it is ripe for eating and all too often is under or over ripe for my tastes. But when you do open one up when at its prime it is absolutely delightful. I think the issue with smell is grossly exaggerated by those with an overdeveloped sense of smell. But for the average person the aroma is quite tolerable. Since smell is a large part of the taste equation, I doubt this modified variety will be an improvement.

That's like having odorless Pu....Oh well, you know what I mean. It's all part of the experience. It's not for everyone. That's why life gives us choices.

It's an acquired taste, like many things in life.

I've never tried Durian or really examined one too much because of how many people (locals) I know who have got sick from eating bad ones. I wonder if not having a natural odor will help identify ones that have gone bad.

Regardless, I'd be more in favor of seeing more availability of seedless fruits.

I've never tried Durian or really examined one too much because of how many people (locals) I know who have got sick from eating bad ones. I wonder if not having a natural odor will help identify ones that have gone bad.

Regardless, I'd be more in favor of seeing more availability of seedless fruits.

Although the Durian has seeds, if you have a properly riped one, to separate the seeds is no problem at all.

No offense, do you know there is a royally sponsored program to get elderly a set of dentures smile.png

Edited by rubl

Eating some durian every now and then will provide you with much needed sulfur in a food that is delicious, assuming your taste buds are functioning normally – if they're not, durian might not taste delicious, and this is good for you to know because if it doesn't taste delicious, you've got some work to do in the health creation department (if the cells of your taste buds aren't functioning properly, it's a safe bet that other cells in your body aren't either).

http://www.health101.org/art_All_Things_Considered.htm

Being that your sense of taste can be a marker of overall health, I use taste as a test of one's relative state of health. When I get a new client, they want to know what tests I will have them take to determine their current level of health. Sure, there are a few blood tests, but not many that are truly meaningful.

But I've found that a test that is very telling is the taste test. I have them eat some good durian (I say "good" because if I give them some bad tasting durian they will of course not like it, and neither would I). If they think the durian tastes sort of okay, then that's an encouraging sign.

If they think it's disgusting, then that's a sign that their health is not in good shape for some reason.

Many people who have transitioned from an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one report the following: foods (that the human body is not designed for) that once tasted delicious now don't, and the foods (of one's biological design) that in the past didn't taste so good, now taste great! Why? Because the taste bud cells can regain their normal functionality when the body's health improves. This is why people who are beginning to adopt healthy habits need to keep trying the natural foods they at one time didn't like… they'll likely find their tastes changing in favor of the flavors they're designed to experience.

http://health101.org/art_Personal_Taste.htm

Children are more likely to like the Durian smell, as they are mostly healthier than adults.

• Like 1