Carrying Passports

When I am in Thailand, I do NOT carry around my passport.

I have a copy of the info page (but no visa or stamp info) with me at all times, but keep the actual passport at my hotel.

Is this a problem if stopped by police?

Can you usually get away with saying my passport is at the hotel?

I got away twice with a copy (not certified) of my PP (every! used page plus TM card), but they were only normal police (trafic). I also have Thai DL but was not asked for it.

As I understand it, if you are asked for your PP by immigration police then you better have it ready in a hurry.

One option is to take your original PP with you at all times (what I do nowadays due to the tougher enforcement of the rules) but keep a full set of copy at home. In case your PP is lost/stolen an up-to-date copy set, incl. TM card, will go a long way to help get a replacement PP and visa.

this also applies to the original/copy of the 90-day address reporting slip.

opalhort

I keep a copy of the face page of my passport, plus the page that shows I am currently legal in the country (that's the real issue, isn't it?) - never had a problem - but so rarely ever have to show it.

Carrying the original of your passport sets you up for some hanky panky if you run into a cop looking for a little extra income. Just my opinion.

I got away twice with a copy (not certified) of my PP (every! used page plus TM card), but they were only normal police (trafic). I also have Thai DL but was not asked for it.

As I understand it, if you are asked for your PP by immigration police then you better have it ready in a hurry.

One option is to take your original PP with you at all times (what I do nowadays due to the tougher enforcement of the rules) but keep a full set of copy at home. In case your PP is lost/stolen an up-to-date copy set, incl. TM card, will go a long way to help get a replacement PP and visa.

this also applies to the original/copy of the 90-day address reporting slip.

opalhort

Good ideas. I think that the enthusiasm for stringent rules has waned. But we have to be aware that the rule exists. There has to be exceptions, such as when you are applying for a visa to another country.

There has to be exceptions, such as when you are applying for a visa to another country.

if an embassy has your passport for processing a visa they will give you receipt so you can pick up your passport. that receipt is worth gold. if for some reason you are picked up on the street and then for the unlikely reason an officer says, "nice copy, but go get your original passport", you better have that embassy receipt.

doctor knows this, this post is for others.