Bringing My 13 Year Old Son Along

thewebhero

Will be staying in Chiang Mai for about 4-5 weeks now from the second week of June. As I am bringing my 13 year old son with me, I was wondering if someone could point out some fun stuff for us to do together or even just for him.

We are planning to play a fair bit of tennis and some Muay Thai.

Any ideas? Maybe volunteer work? Sure it might do us some good to do some volunteer work if possible.

Just some ideas.. haven't been 13 in a while.

Swimming at one of the larger pools (Chiang Mai Land, 700 Yr stadium), they seem to have more kids around his age.

Video games and movies at the Kad Suan Kaew shopping center.

Paintball in Mae Rim.

skateboard and bmx at the Chang Puak Municipal Park.

or like any other kid nowadays, just staring blankly at their iPhone/BB as life goes by.....

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

Just a suggestion , please be careful about work, even volunteer work , you may be advised to have a work permit. Dems dat be are a little touchy about not having one.

Hope you have a pleasant stay in our great little part of the world.

Gonzo

Also Movies at airport mall. one day tours that will take you to various places.

The elephant shows Tiger land even a monkey show a snake show. Lot's ot Temples. You might want to go easy on them. One can get templed out pretty quick.

Wat Chedi leong in the old city has a little garden like area where the monks will talk to you about any thing. You can tell them about your life ask them about there life. They generally speak pretty good English and that is part of the reason they are there to learn to speak better English. A lot of them are young There are other temples where the monks will talk to you but I think they have set up times.

Don't know where you are coming from but if it is a western country they might enjoy a walk through the Night Bazaar even try to bargain the price down. Then there is the Sunday walking street in the old city and several others around town.

Lots to do and see just don't try to do it all at once. There is even a place where you can rent one of those two wheeled Gyro vehicles. I believe the name is Segway. For a month the possibilities are endless. If you have been living here in Thailand perhaps you have experienced some of these things and won't get as munch out of them as if you were just visiting. I know for myself having rode the elephants three times all ready they are not that munch exciting any more but I sure did enjoy the first one and the second one was OK then it was just a ho hum. Also there is the flight of the jungle walk ways and ropes to slide down on up in the tree's.

Forgot to mention the zoo with the aquarium in it also two Pandas,

Edited by hellodolly

Swimming at one of the larger pools (Chiang Mai Land, 700 Yr stadium), they seem to have more kids around his age.

Video games and movies at the Kad Suan Kaew shopping center.

Paintball in Mae Rim.

skateboard and bmx at the Chang Puak Municipal Park.

or like any other kid nowadays, just staring blankly at their iPhone/BB as life goes by.....

Yeah, exactly iphone/xbox and all that! Kids nowadays don't know how to play. And the worst thing is that I can't blame anyone for that except myself and his mum, we bought him this stuff and haven't sett a firm limits. So now there is no life without computer games according to him ;)

Swimming is always good, something he enjoys and as we will be playing tennis at 700 Yr stadium the swimming pools there sound good. Paint ball is something he has been nagging me about for a while and he loves bmx so we will for sure check out Chang Puak Municipal Park. Do you know if they rent out some bikes there?

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

Just a suggestion , please be careful about work, even volunteer work , you may be advised to have a work permit. Dems dat be are a little touchy about not having one.

Hope you have a pleasant stay in our great little part of the world.

Gonzo

This is good to know, thanks for the heads up.

http://www.treetopasia.com/

Then something with elephants,

A light trek/tour

Kids also like the Night Safari it seems.

Yeah have read about the flight of the gibbons, this is on the list even though I am shit scared of heights!

Also Tiger Kingdom.

Yeah, have been reading good things about the Tiger Kingdom.

Also Movies at airport mall. one day tours that will take you to various places.

The elephant shows Tiger land even a monkey show a snake show. Lot's ot Temples. You might want to go easy on them. One can get templed out pretty quick.

Wat Chedi leong in the old city has a little garden like area where the monks will talk to you about any thing. You can tell them about your life ask them about there life. They generally speak pretty good English and that is part of the reason they are there to learn to speak better English. A lot of them are young There are other temples where the monks will talk to you but I think they have set up times.

Don't know where you are coming from but if it is a western country they might enjoy a walk through the Night Bazaar even try to bargain the price down. Then there is the Sunday walking street in the old city and several others around town.

Lots to do and see just don't try to do it all at once. There is even a place where you can rent one of those two wheeled Gyro vehicles. I believe the name is Segway. For a month the possibilities are endless. If you have been living here in Thailand perhaps you have experienced some of these things and won't get as munch out of them as if you were just visiting. I know for myself having rode the elephants three times all ready they are not that munch exciting any more but I sure did enjoy the first one and the second one was OK then it was just a ho hum. Also there is the flight of the jungle walk ways and ropes to slide down on up in the tree's.

We are from Iceland, lived many places but not in Asia. Just been there once on holiday, so this is all pretty new to us and the son has never been there so EVERYTHING will be exciting for him.

For sure cineman will be visited som evenings, we both love a good film, just hope they have salty popcorn!! Talking to the monks is something I will try to do, specially young monks, someone that could open up his eyes a bit, showing him that we dont all live the same life and some people can even be happy with less.

The one about elephants could be worth checking out. At Lampung they have a program where you can live and work with elephants, care for them ride them clean up after them. Reasonably priced too. Something he will never forget.

http://www.wikalenda...ter-090129.html

http://www.thailandelephant.org/en/

Yeah, was reading about this where you care for them and all that, that really looks interesting. Something more then just a elephant trek.

The horse racing on Saturdays. Great fun.

Didn't know they had that in Chiang Mai, can you give me some more info where that is?

Coaching session at Chiang Mai velodrome. Learn how to ride a fixed wheel track bike. Put your foot on the first rung of the ladder to become like Mark Cavendish!

Again, Chiang Mai surprises me! They have some courses, classes?

When I was 13, I know what I would have enjoyed, probs best not to post it as a suggestion though.

Yeah, I know what you mean ;) and I am sure my son would agree! ;) But no..... ;)

salty popcorn sure! they have some weird teriyaki and other flavors occasionally.

if you like outdoors activities, offroad atv is the sex. if you are afraid of height, maybe you could check out the gibbon similar thingy just at the aquarium in cm zoo

im pretty dam_n sure i saw the paintballs poster around cm zoo, but for 2 person im not too sure if it would be fun though

Most Muay Thai gyms also train from a variation of 6am to 9am and again around 4pm to 7pm. So if you really want to train, you have amny hours taken up already. Plus you'll find yourself napping in between!

Can't say I am gonna do Muay Thai because I am "really" want to train, it is rather that it is something I can do with my son. And I can really use loosing some weight ;) But I was hoping that we could just do the afternoon classes at the gym and use mornings to do different

stuff.

Looking like 4 months would be a better time span.biggrin.png

It is starting to look that way! Should extend the holiday! ;)

Catch the bus to Tha Ton, take the long boat down to Chiang Rai via the elephant and big snake camp, then fly back to Chiang Mai with Kan Airways on the 12 seater Cessna. Fabulous.

You may have to overnight in Tha Ton, or Chiang Rai depending on plane / bus times.

Catch the bus to Tha Ton, take the long boat down to Chiang Rai via the elephant and big snake camp, then fly back to Chiang Mai with Kan Airways on the 12 seater Cessna. Fabulous.

You may have to overnight in Tha Ton, or Chiang Rai depending on plane / bus times.

Might check that out after our 4/5 weeks in Chiang Rai, then we have 4 weeks that are planned "on the road"

We are from Iceland, lived many places but not in Asia. Just been there once on holiday, so this is all pretty new to us and the son has never been there so EVERYTHING will be exciting for him.

For sure cineman will be visited som evenings, we both love a good film, just hope they have salty popcorn!! Talking to the monks is something I will try to do, specially young monks, someone that could open up his eyes a bit, showing him that we dont all live the same life and some people can even be happy with less.

The one about elephants could be worth checking out. At Lampung they have a program where you can live and work with elephants, care for them ride them clean up after them. Reasonably priced too. Something he will never forget.

Yeah, was reading about this where you care for them and all that, that really looks interesting. Something more then just a elephant trek.

Didn't know they had that in Chiang Mai, can you give me some more info where that is?

Edited by Semper

A map from Greenside.

post-49205-0-00900400-1337918282_thumb.j

If the rains have started by then, white water rafting.

If the rains did start by then, white water rafting can be pretty dangerous.. But a bamboo raft float down the river is fun too, you often get that with a light-trek or tour.

I don't know the safety record of the local industry. They do seem to be and claim to be safey concious. I have been rafting on the Mae Tang and another river, name forgotten... it can get crazy, I have been when the guide said it was class 4+ ... after, they showed a video ot a training day where the river was so wild only the staff went, there were some great wipeouts.

It really depends on how comfortable you and the sprocket are in the water, I took my son at 14 on trips rafting in Oregon and California. By then he was already a serious surfer, so he knew how to survive in the water.

In June the water should not be very fast or dangerous, I have done it here at class 2, then the guides make it fun with waterfights and other jokes. Take the kid.