Thailand's First Digital TV System To Be Launched This Year

webfact

Thailand’s first digital TV system to be launched this year

BANGKOK, 24 May 2012 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has selected DVB-T2 as the standard for Thailand’s digital television broadcasting, expecting the system to be up and running within this year.

As part of the “Go Digital Thailand” project, the Cabinet approved the NBTC’s proposal to use DVB-T2 as the system for digital TV broadcasting in Thailand on 20 May 2012. NBTC member Col. Natee Sukonrat said DVB-T2 was a European-based modern digital TV system with the best transmission efficiency. It is currently used in 38 countries worldwide, including countries in Europe and ASEAN.

Col. Natee confirmed that the NBTC would make sure that the digital TV project would not affect or cause difficulties for the viewers. All existing TV channels, now broadcasted via the analog system, will be gradually transferred to the digital system, which is expected to become functional within this year with around 50 more free channels.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-25 footer_n.gif

I couldn't be happier with the decision from the NBTC.

Even though the military and the MCOT may refuse to return their frequencies back to the public, but at least there's still enough room for 40-50 SD channels or 5HD+10 more SD channels free-to-air.

Funny how many Thai free-to-air channels use and film things in HD but everything is converted to SD so that they can air.

Even though the military and the MCOT may refuse to return their frequencies back to the public, but at least there's still enough room for 40-50 SD channels or 5HD+10 more SD channels free-to-air.

Funny how many Thai free-to-air channels use and film things in HD but everything is converted to SD so that they can air.

Can standard Plasma and LCD panels currently sold in Thailand take advantage of digital transmission?

In other words are they all built with digital tuners as standard?

Edited by rockyysdt

"All existing TV channels, now broadcasted via the analog system, will be gradually transferred to the digital system, which is expected to become functional within this year with around 50 more free channels."

mmmm...

"All existing TV channels, now broadcasted via the analog system, will be gradually transferred to the digital system, which is expected to become functional within this year with around 50 more free channels."

mmmm...

Right, gradually.

And after that the airwaves will be clean of analog signals, forcing everyone into digital.

and that, dear viewers, will cost money

Can standard Plasma and LCD panels currently sold in Thailand take advantage of digital transmission?

it is just like the 3G kind a digital

Yes, nostly. HDMI and usb ports are a dead give away. HDMI is digital.

I think there is a little confusion here - I would doubt very much that all or maybe even any of the television sets currently sold in Thailand would have a DVB-T2 receiver, as the decision has only just been made to adopt that standard for the country.

The confusion I see is that perhaps people may think that a TV set with HD is the same thing - it is not - they are two different components altogether.

The screen is the part you watch (obviously) and that is the bit that displays an HD picture (usually 16:9 or maybe 14:9 aspect ratio - the ratio of screen width to screen height). Virtually all the modern sets currently on sale in the country do have this capability - to DISPLAY an HD picture, and that usually also means that they have HDMI or component inputs that will accept an HD video signal - thats why you can watch the HD set-top box from True or watch an HD DVD etc.

The part of the TV set that actually RECEIVES the digital signal from the broadcaster is a different thing - it has to perform basically the same function as the True set-top box - it actually receives the digital broadcast, and then selects the channel you wish to watch, and decodes it into an HDMI or component (or whatever) VIDEO signal and that is then displayed on the screen exactly the same as if it was connected to a DVD player or the True STB. The receiver must be designed to receive the specific type of signal and to be able to decode the channels within that signal.

So to sumarise - the TV set has two main parts, the receiver and the display. On most TV sets they have a receiver built in (and it suits the current type of transmission in that country). The display can be set to see the picture from the in-built receiver (usually analogue in most TVs at present), or an external input (often HDMI) to connect to say the True STB.

I would expect that Thailand will end up with various low-cost Set Top Boxes specificaly for receiving the DVB-T2 broadcasts - in the same way as happens in the UK and Australia. These will connect to an external input to the TV set.

During the changeover period, you still have the analogue transmissions for a certain amount of time, and in say a couple of years, when the majority of people have had time to buy the new digital receiver box, or have replaced their TV with one that has the digital receiver inside it, then the analogue transmissions are shut down (the government then can re-allocate those frequencies for other purposes).

Good post. Thanks for the info.

Well, assuming that all TVs sold post 2010 in Thailand are equipped with DVB-T2 then yes, they can take advantage of the new digital transmission.

The government or the NBTC will eventually have to offer "digital set top box coupons" for people to buy set top boxes for their old TVs. And for orders as huge as 200k units it shouldn't be more than 700 baht a piece.

yes

all TV's sold here have a digital tuner already and have had for at least 2x years some older TV's may not have this tuner

Unfortunately most of Flat screen TV's sold in Thailand do NOT have any digital tuner built in, maybe some of the top end TV sets may have a DVB-T2 tuner. The Toshiba 40AL10T 40" Full HD LED TV I bought a couple of months ago only have an analogue tuner.

On the flat screen TV sets sold in Europe the problem is that many still have tuners for the old DVB-T standar,d that do not support HD transmissions. Furthermore TV sets often lack built in decoding, or CI-interface for an Access module, so a digital box is necessary to decode and watch a DVB-T2 terrestrial transmission anyway. Top end flat screen TV sets sold in Europe have a digital tuner for DVB-C2 new Digital Cable TV standard too. No doubt this will soon come too, when terrestrial transmission goes HD.

If you want a new TV with DVB-T2 tuner, you will probably have a to wait number of years for them to come down in price.

• Like 1

all TV's sold here have a digital tuner already and have had for at least 2x years some older TV's may not have this tuner

All TV's sold here have a builtin tuner, but it may, or may not, be digital (as well as analogue) and may, or may not, be compatable with the transmission standard just announced.

My best guess is... somebody is going to make a killing selling set top digital tuners thumbsup.gif

The tuner in my 52 inch HDTV Samsung is analogue. But who cares anyway, I only use my TV to watch movies or TV shows I have downloaded via the internet. And for that I use a WD-TV HD Media player. Broadcast/cable TV is, as someone once noted, 'a vast wasteland'.

I think there is a little confusion here - I would doubt very much that all or maybe even any of the television sets currently sold in Thailand would have a DVB-T2 receiver, as the decision has only just been made to adopt that standard for the country.

The confusion I see is that perhaps people may think that a TV set with HD is the same thing - it is not - they are two different components altogether.

The screen is the part you watch (obviously) and that is the bit that displays an HD picture (usually 16:9 or maybe 14:9 aspect ratio - the ratio of screen width to screen height). Virtually all the modern sets currently on sale in the country do have this capability - to DISPLAY an HD picture, and that usually also means that they have HDMI or component inputs that will accept an HD video signal - thats why you can watch the HD set-top box from True or watch an HD DVD etc.

The part of the TV set that actually RECEIVES the digital signal from the broadcaster is a different thing - it has to perform basically the same function as the True set-top box - it actually receives the digital broadcast, and then selects the channel you wish to watch, and decodes it into an HDMI or component (or whatever) VIDEO signal and that is then displayed on the screen exactly the same as if it was connected to a DVD player or the True STB. The receiver must be designed to receive the specific type of signal and to be able to decode the channels within that signal.

So to sumarise - the TV set has two main parts, the receiver and the display. On most TV sets they have a receiver built in (and it suits the current type of transmission in that country). The display can be set to see the picture from the in-built receiver (usually analogue in most TVs at present), or an external input (often HDMI) to connect to say the True STB.

I would expect that Thailand will end up with various low-cost Set Top Boxes specificaly for receiving the DVB-T2 broadcasts - in the same way as happens in the UK and Australia. These will connect to an external input to the TV set.

During the changeover period, you still have the analogue transmissions for a certain amount of time, and in say a couple of years, when the majority of people have had time to buy the new digital receiver box, or have replaced their TV with one that has the digital receiver inside it, then the analogue transmissions are shut down (the government then can re-allocate those frequencies for other purposes).

Thank you TV Repairman.

Sorry to informall you guys, but it is only the Grade 1 i-pods being introduced from China that will receive these initial HD trial runs.

You'll have to queue up, like the other 800,000 kids this year, then the 1 million for next year and so on, whilst delivery logistics is sorted out on how to manufacture these things on time - JIT supply, if you like. cheesy.gif

-mel ;)

This is basically the system used in the UK/Germany/Holland etc. Thus its a bit of a no brainer to adopt a standard that is well established elsewhere. So they can continue to pat themselves on the back on what a good job they did!

In the UK in the early days of DVB you could buy cheapy add on tuners to receive DVB broadcasts. I probably still have on in my loft. You then hook this up to your regular TV and you are away.

Generally the DVB is an add on small board to the TV so you be can be sure no Thai tvs have it. It doesn't make sense to incorporate the board (with the cost associated) if it can't be used.

Here is the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2

I am sure they won't initially broadcast HD. Plain old DVB would be a big improvement.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post.

Good post. Thanks for the info.

The US did just that. Stations had a deadline to start digital broadcasting. Then there was an overlap period of a year or so, where both analogue and digital signals were used. That period was extended after complaints that the analog switch-off would disadvantage low-income families, and converters were offered nearly free to the disadvantage. The analog signals are now gone, and those frequencies were freed up for government and emergency services communications. Stations kept there channel numbers, but they're now "virtual channels" and have nothing to do with frequency. Stations now may have sub-channels, so they can simultaneously broadcast several different programs. I've been here for a while, so I don't know the status yet, but this would allow sports fans to choose which game they want to watch rather than one regional game the TV network has chosen to broadcast in their city. There are advertising income problems with this, so it probably hasn't been done yet. Public educational stations can now broadcast several program schedules to better fit different school class schedules. The switch-over made no difference to digital satellite and cable subscribers because they don't actually receive signals directly. The same should be true here.

Edited by jimpthai

I hope they take a leaf out of the book of the other countries already using the system

The current analogue system is a mess, with multiple antennae needed pointing in different directions

to get all the channels. The new system needs to be full integrated with a single mast carrying

all channels.

Digital is OK as long as you have a good signal...............

If not is just cuts out.

The old analogue is much more tolerant of a low signal.

Many more transmission masts will be needed to cover the more remote areas of the country.

This is the reason that the UK switch off of analogue was delayed until later this year

Wikipedia show the cut off in Thailand to be 2017

It will be interesting to see if that date can be met.

t Set Top Boxes specificaly for receiving the DVB-T2 broadcasts - in the same way as happens in the UK and Australia. These will connect to an external input to the TV set.

You are correct for the most part greer.

The only reason why they have set top boxes is for those who choose to keep their crt tv's and for those who purchased early panel tv's which did not incorporate a tuner.

All new panels in Australia contain a digital and analogue tuner which will automatically tune in all transmissions.

The big question is, will the selected Thai digital transmission bands fall within the capability of of a standard digital inbuilt tuner?

The tuner in my 52 inch HDTV Samsung is analogue.

How old is your set?

Is it Plasma or LCD?

With the launch of digital transmission each station decides whether to transmit SD Digital or HD Digital.

Transmitting SD allows a station to transmit a number of channels over the same bandwidth they are allocated.

Some Stations will go for content (More channels) whilst others may decide to go for quality transmission ((less channels).

For Example ABC2 in my town now transmits Channel 2, Channel 21, Channel 22, Channel 23, & Channel 24.

Channel 10 now transmits HD Channel 1 and SD Channels 10, 11, & 12.

Your HD or Full HD set will upscale the transmission to match your screen.

Your TV won't be junk.

You'll just have to buy a STB.

Initially expensive (early models sold for 30,000 baht in Australia - I know - ridiculous).

You can buy STB now which does the full range analogue, SD & HD Digital) for 1,000 baht. These come with their own remote control.

The Sony PS3 Playstation also has a built in STB.

Edited by rockyysdt

True Corp/ does all ready broadcast some Channels in full HD.

But as far as I know it s just 3-4 Channel for the moment.

Every Satellite Receiver Box will be changed for Gold and Platinum Members ( No extra Fee)

I got mine replaced at the beginning of this month. The

the transmission is perfect and it seems that they will get Video on Demand etc. as well....

Sorry to informall you guys, but it is only the Grade 1 i-pods being introduced from China that will receive these initial HD trial runs.

You'll have to queue up, like the other 800,000 kids this year, then the 1 million for next year and so on, whilst delivery logistics is sorted out on how to manufacture these things on time - JIT supply, if you like. cheesy.gif

-mel wink.png

Nope True Corp will upgrade every Gold and Platinum Members for free within this year they did change my 2. Satellite Receivers this Month without any need for me to Contact them in the near future there will be Video on Demand etc. as well.

t Set Top Boxes specificaly for receiving the DVB-T2 broadcasts - in the same way as happens in the UK and Australia. These will connect to an external input to the TV set.

You are correct for the most part greer.

The only reason why they have set top boxes is for those who choose to keep their crt tv's and for those who purchased early panel tv's which did not incorporate a tuner.

All new panels in Australia contain a digital and analogue tuner which will automatically tune in all transmissions.

The big question is, will the selected Thai digital transmission bands fall within the capability of of a standard digital inbuilt tuner?

Firstly, thanks to all for the kind comments.

Regarding the DVB-T receivers in Australia, I am not certain if they have been provided with DVB-T2 compatibility, but it would surprise me if they have been, as that standard has not been adopted there yet - they are still on DVB-T/MPEG-2 for both SD and HD services - and why pay for something that you cant use for the forseeable future?

It should be noted that although DVB-T2 receivers are generally backwards compatible to DVB-T, the reverse is not true, a DVB-T receiver cannot receive and decode DVB-T2 transmissions. Thus for an existing receiver in Australia to be able to receive future DVB-T2 it would imply that in fact it must already be a DVB-T2 receiver, but is operating in DVB-T mode until it receives a DVB-T2 signal.

DVB-T2 is a long way off in Australia, but it is on the plan. The big problem for them is that they have only just convinced people to buy either a new TV receiver or a Set Top Box for the DVB-T signals, so asking them to throw those out and buy a new DVB-T2 STB would be fairly unpopular.

The DVB-T2 receivers that would be required for Thai DTT (digital terrestrail transmissions) would be tunable to whatever frequencies were determined as applicable by the relevant authorities, so I dont see that as such a problem - the only issue is if one was to bring in a TV set (or STB) from overseas, that may comply with different specifications, suited to the originating location and country. Regular importers/resellers should only be permitted to bring in sets that comply with local regs... in theory... in practie that may not always be the case, but I am sure that when the customer found that it did not work, they would be back demanding action - and any reputable company (places like Power Mall, or HomePro etc) would not want that to happen if it can be avoided by selling the correct product in the first place.

I look forward to the introduction of DTT in Thailand, and I think it has the potential to bring useful educational and entertainment channels to the general populace... yes... I said "potential"....

Just a late note - the reason I am interested in this subject is that I am a broadcast systems design engineer - basically my colleagues and I design broadcast station facilities such as studios, playout systems editing systems, master control, ingest etc.

Edited by Greer

True Corp/ does all ready broadcast some Channels in full HD.

But as far as I know it s just 3-4 Channel for the moment.

Every Satellite Receiver Box will be changed for Gold and Platinum Members ( No extra Fee)

I got mine replaced at the beginning of this month. The

the transmission is perfect and it seems that they will get Video on Demand etc. as well....

No we are not talking about True (Satellite and Cable TV), we are talking here about DTT (Digital Terrestrial Transmission) - which will replace the existing analogue transmissions (Channels 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11).

Yes, those channels are also available (as a regulatory requirement) on True - but the actual transmissions that will be replaced will be the actual analogue Channels that you receive with the normal "rabbit ears" antennae, or that god-awful mess of aerials most local households have on their roof - not the little red True dishes or even any of the larger C-band dishes that sprout around the place.

Agreed that True have been upgrading the STB's for free - they came and replaced ours a couple of months ago - but to receive the new DVB-T2 transmissions you will need either to replace your exisitng TV with a new one that incorporates the DVB-T2 receiver/decoder or buy a separate Set Top Box (similar to the True box) and connect it to an aerial similar to the ones you may now use for the analogue terrestrial TV channels such as 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 (if you watch them).

So yes - you COULD end up needing TWO Set Top Boxes - one for True, and one for the new free-to-air DVB-T2 signals (along with their extra channels).