Penalty For Drink Driving In Thailand

But what to do when you are living outside, for example, Chiang Mai. Take the subway?

Drive in yourself, book a cheap hotel, go party, sleep (or whatever) sober up, drive home.

Or arrange for somebody living near you to drive you in & pick-up, you can get far here for 500 bath.

If you kill somebody with your vehicle and you are above the limit you are in deep deep shit and it can cost you millions to get off (compensation to the victim's family).

It's not worth it and I think it's good that the police have started to clamp down on this huge problem here in Thailand but they still have a long way to go as the Thais (mostly) thinks its fine to drive to a night club have some drinks and drive home when they had enough.

This and related threads are very good to scare you into not drinking and driving. However, I did not have the Thailand drunk driving insight a couple of years ago:

Thais can be generous especially when it comes to invitations for a drink, I should have known. I went out to dinner with a couple of Thais after work driving them to the restaurant. I didn't want to drink, just eat and run as I had an expensive piece of scientific equipment in the car The car was parked next to our table so I could watch it, but I will still nervous.

Anyhow, one thing lead to another.....they order a bottle of Pipers, finally persuaded me to have a drink and two hours and three whiskey drinks later, I leave the restaurant. Now, I would have gotten a taxi, but I had this large instrument in the car/truck and did not want it stolen. It was only 2-3Kms to get home from Thong Lor to Ekkamai and really I was not feeling too much of anything, alcohol-wise. I took the chance, driving slowly, sooooo stupid in hindsight. After 500 meters, I make the left turn onto Sukhumvit, and there they were. <deleted>, it's an early Tuesday night, why are those two cops there?! One motions me to pull over, and I start the process. But he then tries to stop another car that was really speeding. I see the lanes empty ahead, no risks to any people and the green at the Ekkamai stop light (35 seconds to go). I punch it, and he's too far away to do anything. I look back and he doesn't even try. Thank God! I use this and other internet sites the next day to see what could have happened to me. I've behaved myself since then. Thanks for all of the information. wai.gif

Edited by SoCalChris

Still. What to do? No bus, no taxi, no nothing.

Is not drinking then no option ?

Don't have to be this way...just plan ahead and get your return organized...there are taxis and tuk-tuks available,the best is to get one reliable taxi driver phone number and call him when you need a ride wink.png

Still. What to do? No bus, no taxi, no nothing.

Is not drinking then no option ?

Don't have to be this way...just plan ahead and get your return organized...there are taxis and tuk-tuks available,the best is to get one reliable taxi driver phone number and call him when you need a ride wink.png

When I was young(er) we always managed to organise things and get home safely, albeit sometimes the next day. But now everybody has a car and suddenly everybody wants to drive home, drunk or not. The lack of subways and other public transport is just a pathetic excuse.

• Like 2

I am a Thai national and I live in the UK. My father was killed in Thailand by a drunk driver in charge of a motorcycle. It is beyond my understanding why people drink and drive. This lead to a terrible situation where the killer got away, was caught later and not charged with drink driving. My cousin (who was brought up in life by my father) bought a gun and killed the drinker. He was imprisoned and served 7 long years. He was a professional Petroleum Engineer with a foreign masters degree in Geology with Halliburton Thailand.

You must understand the gun crime in Thailand it is not as you think as the Land of Smiles in such situations.

This, despite my other Uncle being at the time a Police General in the South of Thailand. My father advises all of my foreign friends visiting Thailand (especially the south) that if they injure someone, do not stop go directly to the police station to ensure personal safety.

The law, you may think, is commerical every time. This is not the case. This story was exposed to much press cover and the law was firm and non negotiable.

You may kill someone which will destroy your soul or you may be killed by revengful family after the accident.

Thailand in every town village and city has transportation, use it.

I am a Thai national and I live in the UK. My father was killed in Thailand by a drunk driver in charge of a motorcycle. It is beyond my understanding why people drink and drive. This lead to a terrible situation where the killer got away, was caught later and not charged with drink driving. My cousin (who was brought up in life by my father) bought a gun and killed the drinker. He was imprisoned and served 7 long years. He was a professional Petroleum Engineer with a foreign masters degree in Geology with Halliburton Thailand.

You must understand the gun crime in Thailand it is not as you think as the Land of Smiles in such situations.

This, despite my other Uncle being at the time a Police General in the South of Thailand. My father advises all of my foreign friends visiting Thailand (especially the south) that if they injure someone, do not stop go directly to the police station to ensure personal safety.

The law, you may think, is commerical every time. This is not the case. This story was exposed to much press cover and the law was firm and non negotiable.

You may kill someone which will destroy your soul or you may be killed by revengful family after the accident.

Thailand in every town village and city has transportation, use it.

Thanks for your contribution, and sorry for your personal experience.

I am personally completely convinced that drinking and driving is a terrible combination... I drink seldom, and never get drunk, so I cannot say I am doing anything about the issue... But as I am a driver myself now... I never drink and drive at all. I mentioned in another thread I have been controlled at least twice on alcohol around Silom area. And each time, these controls were a breeze for me. I know another expat who drinks and drives from time to time (not to mention speeding on highways)... And at least twice he was arrested and extorted some money from policemen for his irresponsible behavior. From that barrage where there are so many policemen, I don't think he could have managed to pay his way out.

Whenever reproached for his lack of judgement, he always believes he can pay his way out of harm, even if he happens to kill someone. What an error!

Regarding the other comment on killing someone, I have seen some frightening scenes of irresponsible bikers, who, had I not been observing enough, or distracted, could have very well ended under my wheels or the wheels of someone else. Is that to mean that someone could kill me for that? I am not too sure, but I would try and save the life of whomever I hit... Whatever the cost may be.

• 4 months later...

Hi I got done on the 30 th of December 2012, blew .200, yes I know very high but I had just sculled a beef 2 minutes before hand every body knows you have to wait 20 mins to allow for the alchol in your mouth to go but the police officer did not not care, I got put in the lock up and a friend of mine who is highly connected come down with a police friend bailed me out 30000 baht and they kept my passport. I was told I had to court on Monday the first because the court wasn't open until then so I carried on as usaul and went to court with the police man, head said you will just pay fine and go I thought sweet, once it was my turn to be sentenced the judge layed down my punishment in Thai and I could see in the police mans face it was no good, 32 days in pattaya special prison, I don't need to explain how bad it is in fact I'm sick of explaining it to my friends. I went there stayed in the worst conditions known to man, after 2 days tgs police man and a good mate bailed me out 50000 baht I was happy and very smelly lol. I asked the policeman can I go home nor because I was ment to go to work on the night I went to prison, he said no you have to wait until your prison sentence is up, I thought this is getting nasty I work oil and gas and they won't like this, anyway let them know they said its out of your control, after the prison sentence we went to the provincial court with the police man and he talked to clerks and the judge said no you can't go home for maybe 6 or so months, I was like what the, finally after doing some business with high up people he agreed to let me go home for a month he gave me letter saying I have to return on 15 of march to go to court to check in on the 18, he gave me another letter saying I can go home for 6 months this time, when I went through customs I showed the letter and asked them am I black listed he said yes but you can come in with this letter, I asked when will it stop he said when judge takes it of. I have heard once your on that lists its for ever is this true or is it just a temp thing wondering if I'm on a good behaviour bond because at the start he didn't want me to leave. I'm also worried when this is all finished I will be deported and black listed nobody I knows has heard of such harsh punishment for a DUI not involving a accident. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi I got done on the 30 th of December 2012, blew .200, yes I know very high but I had just sculled a beef 2 minutes before hand every body knows you have to wait 20 mins to allow for the alchol in your mouth to go but the police officer did not not care, I got put in the lock up and a friend of mine who is highly connected come down with a police friend bailed me out 30000 baht and they kept my passport. I was told I had to court on Monday the first because the court wasn't open until then so I carried on as usaul and went to court with the police man, head said you will just pay fine and go I thought sweet, once it was my turn to be sentenced the judge layed down my punishment in Thai and I could see in the police mans face it was no good, 32 days in pattaya special prison, I don't need to explain how bad it is in fact I'm sick of explaining it to my friends. I went there stayed in the worst conditions known to man, after 2 days tgs police man and a good mate bailed me out 50000 baht I was happy and very smelly lol. I asked the policeman can I go home nor because I was ment to go to work on the night I went to prison, he said no you have to wait until your prison sentence is up, I thought this is getting nasty I work oil and gas and they won't like this, anyway let them know they said its out of your control, after the prison sentence we went to the provincial court with the police man and he talked to clerks and the judge said no you can't go home for maybe 6 or so months, I was like what the, finally after doing some business with high up people he agreed to let me go home for a month he gave me letter saying I have to return on 15 of march to go to court to check in on the 18, he gave me another letter saying I can go home for 6 months this time, when I went through customs I showed the letter and asked them am I black listed he said yes but you can come in with this letter, I asked when will it stop he said when judge takes it of. I have heard once your on that lists its for ever is this true or is it just a temp thing wondering if I'm on a good behaviour bond because at the start he didn't want me to leave. I'm also worried when this is all finished I will be deported and black listed nobody I knows has heard of such harsh punishment for a DUI not involving a accident. Any help would be appreciated.

That is indeed some harsh punishment, nothing personal but I wish they did this to everyone on DUI. People who drink and drive risk the lives of others. But they should do this for Thais too not only foreigners.

I am quite pro drugs and alcohol, as long as you don't endager others.

I hope for you you don't get deported after your prison time. Good luck.

At Asok on a scooter I got stopped just 0.003 over the limit.

Ten minutes later I would have been good, anyway I saw some Thais blowing all sorts of numbers but the only people sent to Lumpini were Farangs and an Indian guy. we can't post anything suggesting bribery but what I can say is that the policeman processing reaked of alcohol with bloodshot eyes was much drunker than I was.

Edited by firestar

I got stopped, hasn't drinked and they still asked for a brib of 500 baht (or i could wait for hours for nothing on the road), another guy was very drunk and they asked him 5000 baht to go but he got no money and spent the night in jail, i don't know what happened to him.

Drink or not it's the same if they stop you, you need to pay anyway. The more you drink the more you pay.

I got stopped, hasn't drinked and they still asked for a brib of 500 baht (or i could wait for hours for nothing on the road), another guy was very drunk and they asked him 5000 baht to go but he got no money and spent the night in jail, i don't know what happened to him.

Drink or not it's the same if they stop you, you need to pay anyway. The more you drink the more you pay.

Not always reading here police are the real bad ones always wich isn t thrue.

I have 2 stories they behave in my advantage without getting any money for this.

I could be the only one with this laugh.png

I got tested 2 times in the past few weeks in Udon . The tests involved are a quick analyser just to see if you have alcohol in your breath , if your ok your out . If not you get out to the table on the side of the road where there is a computer check which exactly tells you the amount ... might be still under limit ( i had) .

Now since they are conducting such large amounts of tests these days i asked around , with farangs as well as Thais . The nr's i hear are from 2000 baht upto 10000 baht .... unless you make it real bad , like a Thai guy who i know threw up over the cop and the analyser as he was very drunk off course . Hes over the the court after spending 2 days in jail and he said the nr especting was somewhere between 10000 and 100000 baht . Standard at the table the nr's are 2000 to 10000baht , to be paid straight away if possible ( i think you can go to ATM but not really sure about it ) .

On another occasion a had a accident , my fault , as i didn't knew the road ... and i had too much to drink ( not drunk ) . The police came to the business because of a farang involved and because their car was in western standards total loss . Lucky nobody got hurt ...Anyway , did not need to blow however the police did know i had a drink before ( they smelled it and they asked it how much ... ) . Probably they did not want more trouble then i was allready in as now the insurance covers everything ... i needed to pay 10000 baht as compensation for 2 months loss of car to the other party ... ( that was after discussing with policechief , other party , 2 insurances , and my GF ) . BTW ... my car is a BT50pro and the others was a Toyota Altis . Mine is ok , only some bodywork most due to the fact that he hit me on the back wheel and i spun around and hit a elec pole , the Altis was completely wrecked as the front of this car was completely folded , including engine . Exactly the reason why i like a pickup truck in Thailand . big vs small is not a very good deal for the small car .