Phuket Games 2012 Prepared To Open As Monsoon Winds Blow

webfact

Phuket Games 2012 prepared to open as monsoon winds blow

Phuket Gazette

g1.jpeg

The scene at Surakul Stadium in Phuket Town during rehearsals.

g2.jpeg

PPAO President Paiboon Upatising at the final rehearsal for the Phuket Games 2012 at Surakul Stadium in Phuket Town. Photos: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- It's all systems go for the Thailand National Youth Games 2012, which will officially open with an extravaganza today at Surakul Stadium in Phuket Town.

The Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) held its final rehearsal for the opening ceremony at the stadium, which underwent a major renovation including new spotlights for the event.

OrBorJor President Paiboon Upatising, who attended the final rehearsal was pleased with the show.“We are well-coordinated, with many government agencies and virtually every school joining the performance. The highlight will be the arrival of the Royal Torch bestowed upon us by HM The King to mark the start of the competition.

"The six-act “Amazing Phuket, Fire of the Dream” opening ceremony will reflect different aspects of Phuket's unique culture and identity as Thailand's only island province."

To view the recently-released video promoting the games, click here.

Added star power for the opening ceremony, which runs from 6pm to 8pm will come from performances by Phuket's own "Dome The Star 8", who recently took top honors in The Star reality TV show talent contest.

There will also be a performance by fellow Phuketian Silvy the Star, runner-up in last year's The Star competition.

The closing ceremony, intended to be just as grand, will take place at the stadium on Tuesday, June 5 starting at 5pm.

Mr Paiboon seemed unconcerned that current rainy conditions across the island would rain on the big parade.

“I have checked the weather forecast. It's not supposed to rain, but even if it does there should not be too much effect because most of the acts can take place under rainy conditions," he said.

However, the Thai Meteorological Department at 5pm yesterday issued a warning for heavy rain across Phuket and the other Andaman Coast provinces throughout the weekend, with west coast areas expected to get the heaviest downpours.

For the schedule of events and much more information, pick up a copy of the Phuket Gazette that goes on sale today.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16043.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-05-26

Although there is no doubt that this type of event is good for the province, I really don't think it is wise for the government schools in the Phuket Town vicinity to have to close for two weeks whilst the games are taking place. They've only been back for a couple of weeks after ten or so weeks off and now the kids are off again. I hope they make up the time at the end of the term/year.

Apparently the athletes are using the schools to sleep in!

That's correct MadMitch, the kids use the classrooms to bed down.

I commend the organizers as well as wish good luck to all the participants, these types of things are important for kids. Team building, confidence creators, winners and losers (which is life), all wrapped into a fun big event. I was at the Nai Harn Lagoon yesterday watching some of the boat racing, enjoyable for sure.

A very famous American coach probably the best coach ever, John Wooden, once said that winning is fleeting, losing will happen but is not failure, the only failure is not trying, thats what I hope these kids will learn, at least give it a go.

• Like 1

They were very lucky yesterday with the TMD warning, no better guarantee for reasonable weather that a warning from them.

Boy, and I tell you what, woke up to a nice morning in Rawai, but a hell squall showed up just ten minutes ago. Hope those kids aren't on the lake/lagoon, now.

Growing up in a society where sports is rated higher than anything (except money), I am sometimes surprised that Thailand just rarely seems interested in competitive sports. When I watch them play badminton, the point usually lasts until one of the participants falls down from laughing to hard.

Ok, they've got kick-boxing but I can't see it as much of a sport (bashing each other)

So, these games are great. I too was watching down at the Nai Harn Lagoon and seeing these kids doing their huddle and slapping paddles to instigate teamwork.

I can't say their technique is the best. ( Maybe the coaches need some lessons.)

But it's a good thing IMO for sure.

In this country, I would think they should be good at: swimming, volleyball, climbing, sailing, surfing, tennis (what ever happened to Paradorn?)

But instead it's kick-boxing and badminton. Go figure. (not really team sports are they?)

Thai women's volleyball were Asian champions a few years ago and there still is a chance they qualify for the Olympics (Japan needs to lose to Serbia this afternoon).

Paradorn quit BTW and tried to get in parliament. He was not eligible for election though because he did not vote the time before that.

Edited by stevenl

Growing up in a society where sports is rated higher than anything (except money), I am sometimes surprised that Thailand just rarely seems interested in competitive sports. When I watch them play badminton, the point usually lasts until one of the participants falls down from laughing to hard.

Ok, they've got kick-boxing but I can't see it as much of a sport (bashing each other)

So, these games are great. I too was watching down at the Nai Harn Lagoon and seeing these kids doing their huddle and slapping paddles to instigate teamwork.

I can't say their technique is the best. ( Maybe the coaches need some lessons.)

But it's a good thing IMO for sure.

In this country, I would think they should be good at: swimming, volleyball, climbing, sailing, surfing, tennis (what ever happened to Paradorn?)

But instead it's kick-boxing and badminton. Go figure. (not really team sports are they?)

I agree with you that kids should learn to swim here! I grew up at the beach and my mom wanted me to survive living there. I have! I've always thought swimming was an individual sport though, unless you're in a team relay race... I was on swim teams from ages 6 to 17. Surfing is also an individual sport as is tennis usually and golf.

Thailand also had a gold medal in woman's weight lifting I believe last Olympics.

Again, not a team sport.

I am not convinced their sports promote their working together.

Didn't know that about their women's volleyball team. Good luck to them.

You'd think they had a couple of prima donna race car drivers aye?

At least they seem to practice that. (and motorcycle)