Pollution From Fires

Blueskyramblinman

Do forum members have experiences that they can relay to us newbies about what they do during the bad smoke and pollution periods of Feb,March,April?

Do you leave and stay somewhere else for these months?

Do you stay and do anything special wear masks, stay indoors or whatever?

Thanks

Edited by Blueskyramblinman

In Chiangrai it was bad this year. Most just put up with it. I have severe lung trouble and could not go outside for a month. It took at least two weeks after it dropped for my health to return to just a little below what it was before. I use a Hatari HEPA air filter and I do not think I would have survived without it.

Edited by harrry

I pretty much stop all my outdoor activity except for walking the dogs. No jogging, mountain bike or motorcycle for almost two months. I stay indoors with the air conditioner on. Last year was great but this year was the worst since 2007. So you never know for sure how things will go. Just have to be adaptable.

A dry year so far (rainfall at my house, official rain gage)

2011 2012

Mar=3.66" Mar=1.81"

Apr=3.90" Apr=2.87"

May=11.18" May=8.54" (so far)

Not too smokey might be over

The air cleaning rains make the difference

I like a lot of things about Chiang Mai including the fact that I can stay in a house there for free most of the time. The precarious state of my lungs makes me very cautious about going there in the smoky season and I'm sure that there are others that feel the same.