Thai A340'S To Heathrow

NanLaew

THAI are using A340's on the LHR route. I wasn't aware until I checked in last Wednesday night and they made a quick change to my seat assignment. Much nicer flying experience than the older 747's IMHO. Still no lie-flat seats at the front of the bus but Coach seating looked more roomy when I wandered back to have a look. That, combined with a relatively easy immigration, security and terminal change at LHR makes me think I will use them again.

Has the food improved any? Also are they still using those tiny wine glasses?

It got annoying pinging the call bell every ten minutes...!

No idea as I don't eat any airline food anyway. Just a cup of coffee for breakfast does me.

Sounds like you need BYOB!

No idea as I don't eat any airline food anyway. Just a cup of coffee for breakfast does me.

Sensible approach that. Maybe I will just bring my own glass....the wine was drinkable enough.

Slightly wrong in the OP. There are lie flat seats at the very front as I was in one last week. If you mean the mid section (Business) then its the same as the 747.

Blimey. I didn't know you were a pilot for Thai airways. It's a bit dangerous flying a plane while laying down isn't it :D

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

The food's better on Thai than EVA Smokie. EVAs a Thai Visa members favourite for its prices but the food can be plain disgusting - I always eat before getting on board. No point in turning down a cheap seat if the seat price difference is more than the cost of ones aternative dining strategy.

The difference I would be looking for in the new Thai kit would be new seats (the old ones were becoming a joke and almost unbearable) and a personal in-flight-entertainment system. But then I'm talking about rear-gunner class of course. No champagne and canapes for me any more!

[No 'Gunners are always up the rear jokes' please]

Edited by SantiSuk

The food's better on Thai than EVA Smokie. EVAs a Thai Visa members favourite for its prices but the food can be plain disgusting - I always eat before getting on board. No point in turning down a cheap seat if the seat price difference is more than the cost of ones aternative dining strategy.

The difference I would be looking for in the new Thai kit would be new seats (the old ones were becoming a joke and almost unbearable) and a personal in-flight-entertainment system. But then I'm talking about rear-gunner class of course. No champagne and canapes for me any more!

For food Qatar airways is great.. when they finally open the new Doha airport it should ALL be good.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have flown EVA premium economy a couple of times. The food was not outstanding but there was enough of it. It served its purpose and no more.

Thai Business once and the food was barely edible. I chose Thai options and it was awful. It doesn't get more damning than that for Thai Airways if they can't manage decent Thai food!

Wife flew back to UK last year on new plane but recons the old jumbos better.

Been reading that Thai have/or have they? taken delivery of thir new A 380s...should be good.Tried Singapores when it came out and not bad.

Meanwhile its back to Blighty on Sunday with Etihad ...its OK...and we use the Thai Airway Loungeat 6-00am.....Yuch...

G@T as per normal

You flew first then Rab you lucky dog?

Maybe he was taking advantage of the special that THAI are running for their Gold ROP members where a real front of the bus r/t is around 90,000 miles, business r/t is around 60,000 miles and pleb class (my normal locale) is around 40,000 miles. Bookings must be made before end of June, over the phone (not available online) but valid till end of the year.

Maybe he was taking advantage of the special that THAI are running for their Gold ROP members where a real front of the bus r/t is around 90,000 miles, business r/t is around 60,000 miles and pleb class (my normal locale) is around 40,000 miles. Bookings must be made before end of June, over the phone (not available online) but valid till end of the year.

No was a standard First Class return, business perks

Both airlines food provided by same caterer.....

No difference whatsoever.....

Coming back on Thursday on KLM Business class which I got for 40,000 miles. They are using 777's on the BKK route now and the flight leaves Hamsterjam around 5pm and arrives around 10am.

Where did you get that milage from ?

My wife and I are looking at the same promotion but its 97,000 air miles for a business class return BKK-LHR (must be booked in June).

Coming back on Thursday on KLM Business class which I got for 40,000 miles. They are using 777's on the BKK route now and the flight leaves Hamsterjam around 5pm and arrives around 10am.

Just flown KLM business down to Africa and rate EVA Eco deluxe better sorry to say. KLM seats in are a lot bigger but service, food, drinks are certainly not up to Business Class standards. If I had paid I would have been pretty upset.

Edited by RabC

Perhaps you are different to the rest of us eh. biggrin.png

Same caterer does not mean same menu or same food standard - depends what the airline pays. I have never had disgusting food on Thai, whereas I can recall 2 EVA occasions where I found the food inedible. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Wife flew back to UK last year on new plane but recons the old jumbos better.

Been reading that Thai have/or have they? taken delivery of thir new A 380s...should be good.Tried Singapores when it came out and not bad.

Meanwhile its back to Blighty on Sunday with Etihad ...its OK...and we use the Thai Airway Loungeat 6-00am.....Yuch...

G@T as per normal

Sorry to provide bad news but Thai Airways have no plans to use the A380 on BKK-LHR route !

Same caterer does not mean same menu or same food standard - depends what the airline pays. I have never had disgusting food on Thai, whereas I can recall 2 EVA occasions where I found the food inedible. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Exactly the same food. Why is the food inedible....??

Perfectly acceptable on every airline I've flown to or from Thailand and that currently is at 25 Airlines.......And there's more than a few Minger Airlines in that lot.....

Nobody is expecting a Gastronomic experience in Economy......

Edited by Chivas

Where did you get that milage from ?

My wife and I are looking at the same promotion but its 97,000 air miles for a business class return BKK-LHR (must be booked in June).

It's available to ROP Gold and IS NOT available online. Online they will charge what you say. However, if you use the phone, the special offer I quoted is available because that's how I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Just flown KLM business down to Africa and rate EVA Eco deluxe better sorry to say. KLM seats in are a lot bigger but service, food, drinks are certainly not up to Business Class standards. If I had paid I would have been pretty upset.

I have always heard good things about EVA but never had the opportunity to use them. Are they members of any flying partnership? I like KLM to keep my Skyteam account gold and relay on Thai to do the same for my Star Alliance account. I don't bother with OneWorld as BA and AA are a couple of airlines that never feature on my regular travels.

Regarding KL coach, on flights originating from AMS, there's an online option to order one of four enhanced meals for about 8 Euros. There's Japanese, Italian, Indonesian and one other that escapes me. Well worth it if you need to graze while flying since I do agree that ever since Air France started wearing the clogs, the KL menus suck.