British Fish & Chip Shop In Thailand.

theblether

I was toying with the idea of sending a container of fish frying ranges to Thailand, and opening a chain of British Fish and Chip shops. The initial menu would be.....

Traditional fish and chips in batter

Black pudding

Fritters

Deep fried steak pie

Deep fried mince pie

Deep fried smoked sausage

Mushy peas

Deep fried haggis ( once we catch it )

Deep fried pizza, 8 varieties, including pepporoni, salami, spicey chicken, marinara and others

Etc etc

I've have an arrangement in place to have 2 pallets of British made pies, puddings etc flown in every day.

I'll open up in the tourist areas first, then see what happens. The shops will be licensed, selling cider on ice etc too.

I need to know, do you have any menu suggestions? What kind of cider or beer would you like? And would you enjoy a good deep fried pizza at the end of the night?

I can send in kebab machines too, and side orders like chicken pakora and mince samosa would be available too.

So what do you think? Would you enjoy a deep fried pepporoni pizza washed down with magners and ice?

I remember a few years ago in Phuket there was about 6 fish and chip shops opened up all to close not too soon later to this day still don't know why..

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has to be a loony fantasy, but I've often wondered how a heavily subsidized chippy would go down in provincial Thailand. Would the locals eventually get hooked if the F & C were handed out free for a while? KFC seems to have made some inroads, and the classic British dish has far more pedigree. I've noticed that Thai students in the UK fall back on fish and chips when confronted with less familiar alternatives. Just dreaming, of course.

Talking of north of the border, I still have wonderful memories of lovely crispy haddock from one Lochee chippie. He did deep fried Mars bars as well!

It has to be a loony fantasy, but I've often wondered how a heavily subsidized chippy would go down in provincial Thailand. Would the locals eventually get hooked if the F & C were handed out free for a while? KFC seems to have made some inroads, and the classic British dish has far more pedigree. I've noticed that Thai students in the UK fall back on fish and chips when confronted with less familiar alternatives. Just dreaming, of course.

Talking of north of the border, I still have wonderful memories of lovely crispy haddock from one Lochee chippie. He did deep fried Mars bars as well!

Mashed potato should, in theory, be a winner with the Thais. Add a bit of milk and butter to give it a slight sweetness and away you go.

When we had the monks perform at our restaurant opening we gave them sausages, mashed potatoes and fish and chips - we figured that they must welcome a change from rice at every meal !

Tell me you intend to cook all this in dripping and I am in...thumbsup.gif

Yes, let's do it correcty

I agree. Whatever you do don't cook it in hydrogenated vegetable oil. That stuff kills.

Is Dripping still availble in the UK ?, would have thought the HSE nazi's with their fluorscent hi-vis jackets putting a stop to using dripping in a chippy

You can still get it, it comes in industrial size tubs, and I agree that is the only way to deep fry, in dripping.........licklips.gif

• Like 1

Chips and Vegemite? hmmmm... If they can invent a spray on Vegemite this could have great potential in the fish & chippery game.

Vegemite and mushy peas ?.....Vegemite and cod.....?

Great suggestion! Mushy peas with spray on Vegemite would be a real winner. Not sure it would work on the Cod.

Suggestion Blether.

Perhaps separate Country menu boards? I can start with the following three. I'm sure other posters have their own country additions

British Style

Aussie Style

American Style

Good thinking sir.......good thinking thumbsup.gif

There is one in soi SUK 23 aleady

[media=]

[/media]

Indeed, it is the closest thing I have found to proper fish & chips here, but it is still not proper fish & chips

The chips are too thin and the fish is small and the batter tastes weird

Nonetheless, I will probably be buying my dinner from there tonight (like I do most nights)

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Actually each time I pass it, it look deserted, and in the video Phil says he might go to UK instead ! mouarf !

The pies and beans there are very good.

The chips are horrible.

There is one in soi SUK 23 aleady

[media=]

[/media]

Indeed, it is the closest thing I have found to proper fish & chips here, but it is still not proper fish & chips

The chips are too thin and the fish is small and the batter tastes weird

Nonetheless, I will probably be buying my dinner from there tonight (like I do most nights)

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Try the chips at the Soi 8 Pub. They are great. Might be pricey...that i can't remember.

I can't remember what the chips were like or if they were even real chips, but the pub was surprisingly well priced. Especially for a pub that well decked out when surrounded by more expensive shiteholes in the area.

• Like 1

I accuse theblether of buttering up , nae larding up , fellow TV members for the long sale .

Will you have smoked haddock ?

I certainly will...........I was amazed when I found out about the discounted pallet rate for foodstuffs. I air freighted two mixed pallets of Irn Bru, Dandelion and Burdock, American Cream Soda, Ginger Beer etc from the UK to Shanghai for £300, unbelievably cheap!!!.........one of my pals air freights a pallet of potato scones every day to Dubai, ( they are halal ), I've got another friend that I see every day manufacturing square sausage, round sausage, black pudding, steak pies, the whole lot!!!

I've got a couple of logistical things I would need to sort out, however the UK side is easy. I would need to transport the alcohol separately, and most likely do a deal with a Thai importer to get that into the country. These are just normal parts of running a business.

What I would need to do is look at the reliability of power supply / fuel supply for the ranges, they draw a lot of power so that has to be spot on. If I sent a container I may as well send in 4 or 5 ranges, put some in storage, open one shop and get it running correctly, then expand.

I reckon Sukhumvit, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai for starters......probably the first one being in Pattaya. I would set it up correctly, with the traditional fryer range full of all those delicacies licklips.gif

Sit in or take away.......and served with beer or cider to wash it down.........hmmmm, I wonder if there would be a demand for it biggrin.png

• Like 1

As you well know theblether....I am from a line of great fishermen. wink.png

Here is my favourite chippy...

post-78923-0-09197400-1338221337_thumb.p

I keep the pic on my laptop and drool every once in a while....but I'm willing to undertake a special factfinding mission with you.

Mind...you will be expected to fast for three days beforehand! Such missions are not to be undertaken lightly....biggrin.png

As you well know theblether....I am from a line of great fishermen. wink.png

Here is my favourite chippy...

post-78923-0-09197400-1338221337_thumb.p

I keep the pic on my laptop and drool every once in a while....but I'm willing to undertake a special factfinding mission with you.

Mind...you will be expected to fast for three days beforehand! Such missions are not to be undertaken lightly....biggrin.png

You could picture yourself staggering out of Wonderful Bar 2 and making you way down to the local chippie, real Ayrshire thick chips, big pickles, and in your case a delicious deep fried pizza licklips.gif Lashings of salt and sauce, and a touch of vinegar too.

We wouldn't be long fattening up the local populace too biggrin.png

I agree it would be a loony fantasy if I started in provincial Thailand, however at any given time there are thousands of British and Commonwealth ex-pats and tourists in Pattaya, Sukhumvit, Phuket etc. One of the the first rules of business is to research the demand, then meet it.

Me personally? I would use the chippie once or twice a week, not every day because I love Thai food, however there are plenty of people that don't like Thai food and short term tourists would tend to flock to what they know, they are the people that would use the chippie more frequently during their stay.

Would it ever work in provincial Thailand?......hmmm, don't know, but who would have thought that MacDonalds and KFC etc would get a reputation for being high class??. Who knows? However I do think there is space for one or two in the prime tourist areas.

I think you need to add some more deep fried foods to your menu. Don't think you have quite enough.

Yep. You need at least 50 deep fried items on the menu to compete with Thai restaurants.

Don't worry folks. He has taken me on as a menu consultant. the Thais will be green with envy when they see some of my deep fried concoctions! whistling.gif

I accuse theblether of buttering up , nae larding up , fellow TV members for the long sale .

Will you have smoked haddock ?

I certainly will...........I was amazed when I found out about the discounted pallet rate for foodstuffs. I air freighted two mixed pallets of Irn Bru, Dandelion and Burdock, American Cream Soda, Ginger Beer etc from the UK to Shanghai for £300, unbelievably cheap!!!.........one of my pals air freights a pallet of potato scones every day to Dubai, ( they are halal ), I've got another friend that I see every day manufacturing square sausage, round sausage, black pudding, steak pies, the whole lot!!!

I've got a couple of logistical things I would need to sort out, however the UK side is easy. I would need to transport the alcohol separately, and most likely do a deal with a Thai importer to get that into the country. These are just normal parts of running a business.

What I would need to do is look at the reliability of power supply / fuel supply for the ranges, they draw a lot of power so that has to be spot on. If I sent a container I may as well send in 4 or 5 ranges, put some in storage, open one shop and get it running correctly, then expand.

I reckon Sukhumvit, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai for starters......probably the first one being in Pattaya. I would set it up correctly, with the traditional fryer range full of all those delicacies licklips.gif

Sit in or take away.......and served with beer or cider to wash it down.........hmmmm, I wonder if there would be a demand for it biggrin.png

dont forget korat

I'm curious, do brits actually eat deep fried pizza? First I've ever heard of it, so had to Google it, and came up with this:

deep-fried-pizza-5.jpg

Gotta say, doesn't look very appetizing. You guys actually eat that? You're almost as bad as the southern US, where they deep fry everything -- beef hamburger patties, turkey, whatever. Talk about ruining the food.

I'm curious, do brits actually eat deep fried pizza? First I've ever heard of it, so had to Google it, and came up with this:

deep-fried-pizza-5.jpg

Gotta say, doesn't look very appetizing. You guys actually eat that? You're almost as bad as the southern US, where they deep fry everything -- beef hamburger patties, turkey, whatever. Talk about ruining the food.

It maybe just a Scottish thing. Never heard of it myself either.

deep-fried-pizza-5.jpg

There is a time and place. I won't bother repeating myself....I explained it fully on another thread. Happy searching!

deep-fried-pizza-5.jpg

There is a time and place. I won't bother repeating myself....I explained it fully on another thread. Happy searching!

?

deep-fried-pizza-5.jpg

?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/431846-world-pizza-council-revokes-pizza-companys-use-of-word-pizza/page__st__175__p__4423257__hl__+deep%20+fried%20+pizza#entry4423257

• Like 1

What about a fist fight in the queue?

Very kind of you to offer

I'll be with you in a minute...

SC

EDIT: Back on topic: A decent chippie in Thailand - The one in Taipei sank without a trace; another Scottish fella, by the way, with fryers from Falkirk, if I'm not wrong

Brett's Seafood in HK - Wanchai Lockhart Road, in fact, closed many years ago as well

Edited by StreetCowboy

What about a fist fight in the queue?

Very kind of you to offer

I'll be with you in a minute...

SC

EDIT: Back on topic: A decent chippie in Thailand - The one in Taipei sank without a trace; another Scottish fella, by the way, with fryers from Falkirk, if I'm not wrong

Brett's Seafood in HK - Wanchai Lockhart Road, in fact, closed many years ago as well

I rember it well , or cannae remember it well . They did not serve blackout pudding supers either if I can't recall but it was a good spot on the corner .

theres a good resturant in rumchock market cnx, kellys,doing fish chips and mushy peas,i belive the owners from scotland,nice meal and good price.

Its pudding suppers I want....fish and chips ya can find anywhere!

Edit: It should stock a range of cheap and tacky jewellery amongst other items.

"Hiya darling, sorry the Tesco Express was shut so no salad but i got us a battered haggis supper to share....oh and here is a bangle I picked up this afternoon for ya...."

Try not to sway as you say this though...as from experience that can make it backfire somewhat.

Edited by smokie36

theres a good resturant in rumchock market cnx, kellys,doing fish chips and mushy peas,i belive the owners from scotland,nice meal and good price.

Its pudding suppers I want....fish and chips ya can find anywhere!

No you can't - or at least not cod/haddock/plaice fish and chips. The local substitutes are not the same.

oh God, did someone say mushy peas? droool.

You can get fairly decent fish and chips in Buriram, there seem to be a fair number of takers. I recently in desperation experimented with sweet potatoes to make chips and you know what, they were quite good. We ate it with cat fish I believe.

I can remember even 50 years ago that British fish and chips generally left something to be desired, in the town of Leicester there were only 2 or 3 that still cooked using lard and I didn't bother going to the others when I had a few bob on me. Fresh fish is obviously also important. I wish you the best of luck with your enterprise and hope that it succeeds.