Any Hamster Experts Out There?

One of my hamsters was found to be not well this morning, looked scruffy with matted fur and very lethargic. Died a few hours later.

My question is whether hamsters regularly suffer from comunicable diseases, as I am concerned for the other ones now, though they don't seem to be affected so far.

It is the first one that I have had to be affected in this way.

Thanks for any info.

What was the age of the animal, and who were it's parents?

With that I mean inbreeding.

In Holland I always had hamsters, very many.

Most stayed healthy till the end of a 2-3 year lifespan.

But some died early, same way like your hamster.

I know hamsters can suffer from respiratory infections (and die from it if left untreated), but that's something you would probably notice and not something that develops from one day to the next.

If you notice any changes in the appetite or activity level of the other hamsters, take them to the vet. It's so cheap here, there's really no reason to avoid it.

What was the age of the animal, and who were it's parents?

With that I mean inbreeding.

In Holland I always had hamsters, very many.

Most stayed healthy till the end of a 2-3 year lifespan.

But some died early, same way like your hamster.

I bought the hamster about a month ago, so would have been young.

No idea as to parents, and I doubt the seller would either.

However, while it started small, it appeared to get smaller over time- certainly didn't put on weight like the others. The deterioration occured quite suddenly, over about 1 1/2 days, and after it died, I discovered a small deficit on its back- unknown if it was caused by a bite from another, or a sore.

So far, none of the others have developed similar.

Thanks for both responses.

bullied by the others. not all hamster breesd are social. some are more aggressive then others and if there isnt enough room, or there is a huge age difference or sex (two males) then bullying accurs. loss of weight, stress, immune system deteriorates and the animal dies of bacterial infection or in general just 'wastes away'. rabbits, same same.

also some teeth issues , food issues could also be. also parasites.. like fleas and such can cause deterioration of immune system, animal is weak, gets bullied, then dies.

adding a new specimen to a working group is usually not a good idea. ends in death.

bina

bullied by the others. not all hamster breesd are social. some are more aggressive then others and if there isnt enough room, or there is a huge age difference or sex (two males) then bullying accurs. loss of weight, stress, immune system deteriorates and the animal dies of bacterial infection or in general just 'wastes away'. rabbits, same same.

also some teeth issues , food issues could also be. also parasites.. like fleas and such can cause deterioration of immune system, animal is weak, gets bullied, then dies.

adding a new specimen to a working group is usually not a good idea. ends in death.

bina

Thanks Bina, that sounds like what happened. We added it after one of the originals escaped, and though there didn't appear to be too much bullying, it may have occured when we were not around.

They are all females to avoid little extras appearing, and there is the occasional outbreak of squeaking even among the originals.