Flyers Beware...Thieves In The Air

MrMiddle

You solve this problem easily if you fly first, your own personal locker to the side of the seat. thumbsup.gif

Probably true, but then then the airlines have 100% chance of getting your money. I'll take my chances with the thieves back in the cheap seats.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, how did someone get into the overhead bin above your seat without you noticing?

PP

You make an excellent point in jest.......

How anyone in their right mind puts hard cash or expensive equipment in an overhead locker and than probably goes to sleep at some point in the flight deserves to lose the lot quite frankly.....

Travelling to airports in Coaches etc I have lost count of how many idiots leave the lot on a seat whilst going to a toilet break......It utterly defies belief.

There is no easy answer but the obvious one is you do not sleep....

I wasn't joking, I always take an aisle seat and put my bag in the overhead above me so if anyone wants to get into it they have to climb on me first and usually travel with camera, 'phone and money in the bag.

Yes I realised you were being serious.........

I'm amazed to be honest of the attitudes of many on this thread joking about taking their valuables to the toilet for example.....

Too bloody right I do in my small carry on.

What are you going to do if you return to your seat and quite simply its gone........do you seriously believe the airline will hold all passengers on the motor for interrogation....??

You go to the toilet and you take the valuables with you. The Passport The Money etc.......

Its utterly basic......??

Too bloody right I do in my small carry on.

Is it a manbag ? m'lud....Where do you keep Baldrick during international and domestic flights, hidden in your cod piece ?

My manservants Baldrick and Lord Percy are normally resident in the cargo hold along with all the other turds..........biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

"Bob" I normally keep in the overhead bin in case of urgent desires to have a nibble on the flight....

The Hessian underclothing plays merry hell with the coconuts I might add on extended flights......giggle.gif

Edited by Chivas

I imagine it was an inside job, the thief was already hidden in the overhead compartment when the OP stowed his bag, it was then an easy task for him to remove the items, unobserved by anyone else, climb inside his north face holdall and zip it up with him and his ill gotten gains inside. The perp would have remained there until everyone had disembarked and eventually crew would have found the unclaimed bag and taken it to lost luggage where he would have released himself and walked calmly away.

Case solved, next!

Don't be daft.

It's a 2 man team, there's a dwarf in the carry on bag of a giant. The dwarf sneaks out and rummages through all the bags in the overhead bin and then hides again as you said. The giant just then has to take his carry on with dwarf inside from the overhead bin and deplane.

I imagine it was an inside job, the thief was already hidden in the overhead compartment when the OP stowed his bag, it was then an easy task for him to remove the items, unobserved by anyone else, climb inside his north face holdall and zip it up with him and his ill gotten gains inside. The perp would have remained there until everyone had disembarked and eventually crew would have found the unclaimed bag and taken it to lost luggage where he would have released himself and walked calmly away.

Case solved, next!

Don't be daft.

It's a 2 man team, there's a dwarf in the carry on bag of a giant. The dwarf sneaks out and rummages through all the bags in the overhead bin and then hides again as you said. The giant just then has to take his carry on with dwarf inside from the overhead bin and deplane.

Sorry, I was only guessing, your explanantion does sound much more plausible.

This is a terrible incident for the OP and I do hope you get some compensation. However, there are a couple of bits of the story that require comment.

Firstly, thefts on any mode of transport can occur. That is one reason to keep valuables close to your person and more importantly check those valuables PRIOR to disembarkation. I always have a quick check of my carry on prior to leaving my seat to disembark (as others have similarly mentioned they do). It is just prudent practice. If I had US$10K worth I'd be even more vigilant. However, one can understand how 1 or 2 small items in a large bag could be pilfered without being noticed.

Secondly, if I had a comp bag with a laptop I would definitely notice that it was no longer there given the weight even if it was a 1-2kg laptop.(Mine is about 2.5kg) Another reason to check but one would think such a weight difference in ones bag with a laptop and many other items would be immediately apparent upon taking ones computer bag from the overhead bin - if not in weight then at least in dimension. Okay, perhaps the OP was tired, the comp bag was heavy with other items etc. However, comp bags are primarily to house a laptop - most times it should be noticeable that the laptop is missing. I do find that fact unusual.

Thirdly, if a theft is noticed after return to the residence AND it is after office hours AND you took an international airline not based in the country you are currently AND their airport number is not answering; then bloody well ring that airline in their home country! Don't wait until morning until the office opens.

All international airlines (save many LCCs) have 24 hr operations in their home country and a emergency incidents section - though a theft may not qualify for such a response. Lodge the report ASAP and see if they can contract ground staff at the airport. I note that CX 709 departs BKK for Mumbai at 1:20am. Had you contacted CX in HK at 1am or soonafter when you became aware of the theft they may have (unlikely) at least been able to contact CX staff on the flight to start making some initial queries (assuming no change of crew). At the very least when the plane arrived in Mumbai given the stated financial loss involved.

Every time you contact someone ask for their name as this makes further follow up and ref. easy. Easier than saying "some guy".

4thly, make a police report ASAP in the jurisdiction you are in. You don't mention having done so. This is a basic requirement for any insurance claim.

ChiangMai,PaataiaParrent...read this:

forums.asiaon...ead.php?t=49106[/url]

Naw, that's the old way of doing things, they use dwarfs quite commonly now, and giants too, me an' PP know all about this stuff.

ChiangMai,PaataiaParrent...read this:

forums.asiaon...ead.php?t=49106

Makes my dwarf theory even more plausible because as I said before, it's easy for others to spot passengers running around the cabin taking other people's stuff out of bins where they're not sitting.

This is a terrible incident for the OP and I do hope you get some compensation. However, there are a couple of bits of the story that require comment.

Firstly, thefts on any mode of transport can occur. That is one reason to keep valuables close to your person and more importantly check those valuables PRIOR to disembarkation. I always have a quick check of my carry on prior to leaving my seat to disembark (as others have similarly mentioned they do). It is just prudent practice. If I had US$10K worth I'd be even more vigilant. However, one can understand how 1 or 2 small items in a large bag could be pilfered without being noticed.

Secondly, if I had a comp bag with a laptop I would definitely notice that it was no longer there given the weight even if it was a 1-2kg laptop.(Mine is about 2.5kg) Another reason to check but one would think such a weight difference in ones bag with a laptop and many other items would be immediately apparent upon taking ones computer bag from the overhead bin - if not in weight then at least in dimension. Okay, perhaps the OP was tired, the comp bag was heavy with other items etc. However, comp bags are primarily to house a laptop - most times it should be noticeable that the laptop is missing. I do find that fact unusual.

Thirdly, if a theft is noticed after return to the residence AND it is after office hours AND you took an international airline not based in the country you are currently AND their airport number is not answering; then bloody well ring that airline in their home country! Don't wait until morning until the office opens.

All international airlines (save many LCCs) have 24 hr operations in their home country and a emergency incidents section - though a theft may not qualify for such a response. Lodge the report ASAP and see if they can contract ground staff at the airport. I note that CX 709 departs BKK for Mumbai at 1:20am. Had you contacted CX in HK at 1am or soonafter when you became aware of the theft they may have (unlikely) at least been able to contact CX staff on the flight to start making some initial queries (assuming no change of crew). At the very least when the plane arrived in Mumbai given the stated financial loss involved.

Every time you contact someone ask for their name as this makes further follow up and ref. easy. Easier than saying "some guy".

4thly, make a police report ASAP in the jurisdiction you are in. You don't mention having done so. This is a basic requirement for any insurance claim.

Good advice but there can be no insurance claim. As an ex Insurance guy the very first question asked after your name will be where were the valuables secured....

"In an overhead locker which was padlocked shut sir perhaps" at which point the file is closed.......Even the wettest Insurance claims adjustors know the basic questions to ask....

Aint trying to be clever but thats first hand knowledge on industry questions, which will be asked right from outset......

You lose £2500 in cash (purely as an example) from an overhead bin than its Auf Wiedershen.......

edited in

Which is going back to earlier posts where I said that I took my valuable to the toilet.......Nobody will be responsible but yourself.

Edited by Chivas

Entirely believable, the OP got home at 1am so probably the last flight from Bangkok, lights would have been dimmed, passengers would have taken had a couple od drinks and taken naps, have caught that same flight far too many times, it's essentially night flight conditions. Not difficult to accomplish what is claimed.

I think it would be, especially in business class, where the area of the plane is small and the number of passengers more omitted and the number of staff usually quite high. For someone to get in there unnoticed and open the overhead bin, open a notebook case, remove the computer, iPad, and cables, substitute magazines, and then wander down the isle and back to their seat or own bag unnoticed seem improbable to me.

As for what the airline can do in such situations, not much I would imagine. Otherwise it would be a nice way for anyone to get new electronic gear and just about anything else right. If the op filed a police report with the hkg authorities he should consider filing an insurance claim if he has an appropriate policy.

However, the story, if true or not, is a good reminder to at the least, just check one's bags maybe 20 minutes before landing to see nothing is amiss because if there is, the perp and the goods would still be on the plane. I like the plastic tie idea too but a little bit of a hassle...small locks would seem to do just as good.

Who says this happened while standing at the overhead bin? Could have easiy been taken back to their seat and exchanged for magazines. Who would have noticed it not being his bag except the victim, and if he was in toilet or sleeping....

It is quite hard to believe, imagine he would have found out about the theft before they landed, or even after they landed, but before they passed the immigration check. This would be very risky for the thief just to get some laptop or iPod, the consequences could be serious for him.

OP, how did someone get into the overhead bin above your seat without you noticing?

PP

You make an excellent point in jest.......

How anyone in their right mind puts hard cash or expensive equipment in an overhead locker and than probably goes to sleep at some point in the flight deserves to lose the lot quite frankly.....

Travelling to airports in Coaches etc I have lost count of how many idiots leave the lot on a seat whilst going to a toilet break......It utterly defies belief.

There is no easy answer but the obvious one is you do not sleep....

Ill put my hand up to being another who is clearly not in their right mind then! I confess to having been far too blase and to not believing that anyone would buy a ticket and have the gall to do it. The posting is a great heads up.

Good opportunity for the self-righteous fraternity at TV to come out in droves I notice

Good advice but there can be no insurance claim. As an ex Insurance guy the very first question asked after your name will be where were the valuables secured....

"In an overhead locker which was padlocked shut sir perhaps" at which point the file is closed.......Even the wettest Insurance claims adjustors know the basic questions to ask....

Aint trying to be clever but thats first hand knowledge on industry questions, which will be asked right from outset......

You lose £2500 in cash (purely as an example) from an overhead bin than its Auf Wiedershen.......

edited in

Which is going back to earlier posts where I said that I took my valuable to the toilet.......Nobody will be responsible but yourself.

As an also ex insurance guy: depends on the type of insurance and the exact policy wordings. And the requirements vary from country to country as well.

The claim you're making here 'not in locked compartment so not covered' is ludicrous.

I saw a documentary on Australian customs in which some smuggler had a pound of cocaine concealed in his laptop... serve the thieving bu**er right if he nicked a similar one!

But seriously, I always use small padlocks on both my check in and carry on luggage, And I always remove my laptop and a spare battery from my bag so that I can watch movies of my choice during the flight... and yes, I do take it to the loo with me when I have to go. My passport, cards, and money remain in my pocket as always when travelling.

Why would any airline 'support' any claim for any theft that is alleged to have happened after the flight is over?

The theft is alleged to have happened during the flight, not after it. It was reported to the airline after the flight, so I wouldn't expect compensation from the airline. But I would expect the airline to take the claim it seriously and have their security division investigate, if only to try and prevent it happening again.

To the OP thanks for taking the time to give us this warning. I for one will take more care in future.

And I always remove my laptop and a spare battery from my bag so that I can watch movies of my choice during the flight... and yes, I do take it to the loo with me when I have to go.

What sort of movies are you watching in the loo ....does it involve hand cream and tissues ?....whistling.gif .....what an honest chap...joined the mile high club on a solo mission...I salute you sir...but not going to shake your hand..thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Hmmm. the post about airline staff plotting and stealing. now that I can believe. But in this case the guy claims somebody took a computer out of his bag in the overhead. now we are assuming the overhead was right above his seat. But he didn't quite say that in the original post. His stuff may be many rows distant from where he was sitting

Not trying to paint all airline staff with a very wide brush but when I worked in hospitality the biggest thieves of stuff from the rooms were airline staff on layover. We had to institute a policy ( and hurt feelings be damned ) of checking all airline staffs luggage when they left. It wasn't just the usual stuff ( slippers. bathrobes etc ). We've caught some walking out with hairdryers, pillows, duvet covers,TV Remotes (?), the bedside control panel for the lights. telly, alarm clock etc, weight scales and unbelievably the light bulbs. Basically anything that wasn't nailed down.

Edited by mca

Not trying to paint all airline staff with a very wide brush but when I worked in hospitality the biggest thieves of stuff from the rooms were airline staff on layover. We had to institute a policy ( and hurt feelings be damned ) of checking all airline staffs luggage when they left. It wasn't just the usual stuff ( slippers. bathrobes etc ). We've caught some walking out with hairdryers, pillows, duvet covers,TV Remotes (?), the bedside control panel for the lights. telly, alarm clock etc, weight scales and unbelievably the light bulbs. Basically anything that wasn't nailed down.

I'm glad you are not trying to paint Airline staff. If there are any as TV readers, they will probably not be happy. Bet you got some good stories when the bags were opened and evidence revealed. Your hotel must have had a small telly to fit in a crew suitcase.

Slightly off topic, I wondered if valuables have been stolen at airport security checks. Sometimes laptop or phones can be sitting on the belt and not easy to see through crowds while the owners wait in line or are checked for what ever set off the metal detector.

Your hotel must have had a small telly to fit in a crew suitcase.

Sorry that was supposed to read as a continuation of what the control panel operated.

I always carry anything valuable under the seat and actually use it as a foot rest,

A small laptop bag (sans laptop) is perfect for carrying docs, tickets, small valuables, cell, etc. and will fit neatly under the seat in front of you or if you pull it out and turn it up right is very usefull as a mini-otterman.

I''m wondering if possibly the ops theft occured at some point or process other than on the plane and he just may not have been aware of it if he didn't have need to open it on the plane, etc.

Still anything is possible but again , Occam's Razor ...

Your hotel must have had a small telly to fit in a crew suitcase.

Sorry that was supposed to read as a continuation of what the control panel operated. Well actually reading my post again it does read as that.

I might well investigate this wee gadget ..

http://www.corporate...larm-p-982.html

That would have been awesome on last Thursday nights ten and half hour flight that was about 75% air turbulence!

I read this article before that flight and for the first time in many years, I locked both my carry on bags. The one with the non-valuable stuff and duty free's stayed in the overhead locker and the one with the laptop and other 'spensive stuff was by my feet (window seat) and locked. My mobile phone, passport and other travel docs are always in the buttoned pocket of my cargo pants, whatever side is nearest the window.