A Thread For Thai Residents Only........

theblether

The trouble is that there's so many myths around that it's often quiet difficult to tell fact from fiction, it must be an absolute nightmare for the average newbie. So yes, there is an argument in favour of listening to the advice of the longer term resident, over and above the newbie, having said that, nobody gets it all right 100% of the time.

I have sat and listened to my Dad converse to "newbies"...whistling.gif well its interesting hearing things as seen through his eyesbiggrin.png .. a large proportion of it is total b****ks but of course he knows bestcoffee1.gif .

How about an example! This could be interesting, as what is a loads of #$%&* to one is common sense to another.

Have you got all daybiggrin.png ?

Hey I love my old man, but anything from Immigration to Thai culture... its the separating fact from fiction I sometimes have a hard job to swallow lol.

His interpretation of situations.... yes thats it... which really isnt any big shakes but on serious issues like Wills, Thai law etc I find its better to deal with facts not his facts rolleyes.gif

When i really want to know something there are some real knowledgeable people here in the Visa section. For wills and such i would get general information on Thaivisa and later go to a lawyer.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trouble is that there's so many myths around that it's often quiet difficult to tell fact from fiction, it must be an absolute nightmare for the average newbie. So yes, there is an argument in favour of listening to the advice of the longer term resident, over and above the newbie, having said that, nobody gets it all right 100% of the time.

I have sat and listened to my Dad converse to "newbies"...whistling.gif well its interesting hearing things as seen through his eyesbiggrin.png .. a large proportion of it is total b****ks but of course he knows bestcoffee1.gif .

Like i said before , even expats get it wrong just depends what group of people you associate with and where you live how he behaves.

If he is an older guy going after bar girls, he will have an different view of Thais then me, younger and associating with "normal" Thais from BKK. Everyone will have a different view of Thailand though many things will be the same.

Yes I agree with you there.. I am an ex pat here in Australia.. if someone is looking for advice here, I freely give it, but I would rather give the facts than my idea of "the fact" lol.

He has had his days "communicating" with bar girls in BKK which for some is a necessary ingredient to keep onto your money in the futurebiggrin.png but he still remains a soft touch for some of the "Issan crew" .. and his justification doesnt always satisfy me...whistling.gif but hey he is an old man, and doesnt have too much to give away any more. His happiness is paramount for me, but it still doesnt stop me picking him up on certain issues just to keep his brain alive and kickingtongue.png

@ Robblok... This is exactly what I did last night... copied and pasted some of the TV information and the rest is for him to see a Lawyer about.

This is where TV is very handy indeed.

Edited by edwinclapham

Define 'Thai resident'?

The thread is aimed at a substantial contingent of members who continually complain about we non residents commenting on TV. So let's say they live full time in Thailand.

Good on them, however that is not the criteria for being a TV member. There are plenty of members such as ourselves that have Thai partners, have experience of Thailand, are in contact with Thailand every day, and spend every spare minute in Thailand.

I've even seen an attack this week against a member who lived in Thailand for years, has a Thai wife, and is now bringing up his Thai kids in the UK. Some people seem to think he has no right to comment on Thai issues now.

I think that is a ridiculous concept. So let's give these malcontents a thread of their own to play with.

Personally, I think unless you have PR, a Thai passport or work permit for Thailand ie legal status in Thailand, you dont have the right to comment on Thai issues either....so this would exclude all the OAP's who live in Thailand, chase women (well hobble after women at least), pay no taxes in the country

Oh.... so being married to and living with a Thai spouse in Thailand is not a 'legal status' in Thailand?

If that's the case, after we come back from Japan, I am getting a divorce only so I can maintain my TV 'legal status'.

On the topic of sorting the wheat from the chaff, maybe there could be a colour coding of a posters info on the left where a post originating from a non- Thai IP address could be in a different colour, or maybe their avatar isn't displayed? Anyway, something suitably discriminatory and stigmatizing that would fit well with the perception of the foreigner in Thailand concept.

Copy of passport and birth certificate displayed as well; saves the need for an avatar and stops people guessing..........smile.png

Always listen to advice from the guy (or girl) sitting on the bar stool next to you, can't go too far wrong.............coffee1.gif

I'm only going to post in here if we can have a sub-theme where a posters relevance is directly related to his join date or number of posts.

Is there a charity I can donate 10000 posts to? laugh.png

I am serious! smile.png

And lose your "Star Member" status? Surely not.

Well it wouldn't bother me...I prefer a bit of creativity really.

I'm only leaving it there as a reminder to theblether. tongue.png And others of course. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Likewise, as has been said, the experience of a retiree in darkest ubon whose weekly high point is taking his dependents to big C in the hopes of finding bacon is hardly relevant to many.

laugh.png

Residents do have a point in some areas,little niggles anywhere become frustrating when they are constantly repeated, some long term residents will get wound up, frustrated further by those 'holiday' people who tell them to stop whinging and get over it! Different if you are experiencing an irritating action/habit on a regular basis and there is no end in sight. Possibly exagerated by the fact that in reality you know it is not worth getting upset about.........could easily encourage an 'it's not the same for visitors' approach

I realize nobody's experience here is definitive, but there is a preponderance of experts who do visit annually for a couple of weeks who seem to know it all.

Likewise, as has been said, the experience of a retiree in darkest ubon whose weekly high point is taking his dependents to big C in the hopes of finding bacon is hardly relevant to many.

In fact, to me the fanboys are definitely more entertaining than the codgers

The biggest fear for we non residents about moving to Thailand full time is that we may end up being just like you Nocturn.

What a horrible thought.

( my emoticon isn't working, so for the purpose of clarity, if it was, it would be the little cheeky tongue sticking out emoticon. Just so you know )

Edited by theblether

I'm only going to post in here if we can have a sub-theme where a posters relevance is directly related to his join date or number of posts.

Is there a charity I can donate 10000 posts to? laugh.png

I am serious! smile.png

And lose your "Star Member" status? Surely not.

Well it wouldn't bother me...I prefer a bit of creativity really.

I'm only leaving it there as a reminder to theblether. tongue.png And others of course. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

I, prefer, my unique Platinum Pedigree status.

There's only one Platinum Pedigree Best Behaviour Blether.

Just so you know.

I realize nobody's experience here is definitive, but there is a preponderance of experts who do visit annually for a couple of weeks who seem to know it all.

The biggest fear for we non residents about moving to Thailand full time is that we may end up being just like you Nocturn.

What a horrible thought.

( my emoticon isn't working, so for the purpose of clarity, if it was, it would be the little cheeky tongue sticking out emoticon. Just so you know )

That’s true.

The actual medical term for becoming long term ex-pat crazy, the symptoms of complete disorientation, is nocturn, meaning reaching a point of no return.

The tragic part is that there is no cure, so those considering moving to Thailand should first read nocturn`s posts before deciding to make the big move.

What a horrible thought.

you mean self-employed, able to to work anywhere there is internet, spend every day with my daughter in either my house on one of the islands or in Bangkok?

She is just getting home from school in about 10 mins, so i will cook her some lunch before i go for a swim.

sucks to be me.

Edited by nocturn

Like i said before , even expats get it wrong just depends what group of people you associate with and where you live how he behaves.

If he is an older guy going after bar girls, he will have an different view of Thais then me, younger and associating with "normal" Thais from BKK. Everyone will have a different view of Thailand though many things will be the same.

Not convinced.... When I first moved here I didn't believe anything my brother (who had lived here for a number of years) told me. I was convinced that as I had come here on holiday for weeks at a time for many years, he was just being difficult for some obscure reason. Mind you, I'd be the first to admit I was extremely naive.

My brother was young, attractive and only went to bars when it was a work 'do'. I haven't been to a bar in years but it didn't take long to realise my brother was pretty much right...

What a horrible thought.

you mean self-employed, able to to work anywhere there is internet, spend every day with my daughter in either my house on one of the islands or in Bangkok?

She is just getting home from school in about 10 mins, so i will cook her some lunch before i go for a swim.

sucks to be me.

How do we know your telling the truth? You're a self confessed troll.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

My brother was young, attractive and only went to bars when it was a work 'do'. I haven't been to a bar in years but it didn't take long to realise my brother was pretty much right...

And it hits you in the same way as the day you realised your mother was right all along.

• Like 1

What a horrible thought.

sucks to be me.

How do we know your telling the truth? You're a self confessed troll.

Just sayin'

fair enough, i don't really care either way. I dont post on Thaivisa for the credibility it brings.

Edited by nocturn

fair enough, i don't really care either way. I dont post on Thaivisa for the credibility it brings.

I find this quote hilarious. You would be better sticking to half truths at least nocturn...then you will spend far less time trying to remember what you have posted! laugh.png

I find this quote hilarious. You would be better sticking to half truths at least nocturn...then you will spend far less time trying to remember what you have posted! laugh.png

i don't get your meaning. please elaborate. or don't. just because i enjoy taking the piss doesn't mean i always take the piss.

Iwould venture that if you were actually stalker enough to wallow in my history, you would find i'm pretty consistent.

but i honestly hope you don't really care either.

i don't get your meaning. please elaborate. or don't. just because i enjoy taking the piss doesn't mean i always take the piss.

Iwould venture that if you were actually stalker enough to wallow in my history, you would find i'm pretty consistent.

but i honestly hope you don't really care either.

I know you don't care either....but consistency is good for this forum...then I can better track what some are up to. tongue.png

Mind you some are way too consistent for my liking. Those who never learn from their mistakes for example. But I am rambling.

I just found it amusing...that's all.

Edit: was rambling into dangerous territory...i am sure you understand.

Edited by smokie36

So this thread is for bickering about the definition of residency and using each others forehead as dartboard ? That's the vibe I picked in the 20s I used browsing the 5 pages, good to know in case I feel the need to contribute.

I'll start with this utterly useless post, as I consider myself a resident by the power of proof in the form of a 5y old residency certificate from Thai immigration.

So this thread is for bickering about the definition of residency and using each others forehead as dartboard ? That's the vibe I picked in the 20s I used browsing the 5 pages, good to know in case I feel the need to contribute.

I'll start with this utterly useless post, as I consider myself a resident by the power of proof in the form of a 5y old residency certificate from Thai immigration.

The thread is for those members that fail to grasp the fact that Thaivisa is a worldwide community, it's to give them a chance to talk among themselves.

It's a bizarre thing though, not one of those members has commented on the thread. It looks like theblether has successfully trolled that section of our membership.

I'm quite proud of myself.

Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone.

I see my earlier post fell on deaf ears! Oh well...sad.png

Well i suppose its the weekend so you can spend the entire weekend slagging each other off over subject matter that should be deemed irrelevent to the human race. whistling.gifermm.giflaugh.png

I'm off for breakfast.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know....

We need to put this into perspective Blether, let me take a stab:

Imagine for a moment that you are not native to Scotland and that you are in Glasgow or your choosen Scottish city, you are a newbie, you don't know your way around nor how things work, would you go and ask advice on these things from a recently arrived Polish plumber, Irish labourer or similar and if you did so, what would be your comfort level - since it's rehtorical I'll leave off the question mark!

• Like 2

On the flip side of that. If you are looking for touristy things like food, shelter, transportation and sex it might be better to ask someone who has more recently dealt with those same issues. The longterm resident may eat in a home he owns, drive his own car and sleep with the maid or his wife's sister.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

True, so I guess a part of the answer as to which source is better depends largely upon the question. But let's not let Blether off the hook with this, I've fed him enough angles there for him to have a ball.