A Thread For Thai Residents Only........

theblether

As an aussie living in Sydney, here’s my thoughts on this subject:-

On the train going to the city and approached by a Thai tourist…..Excuse me sir, can you tell me some good tourist site here in Sydney?…

Me…Sorry mate, I only live here. Best to ask the other tourist as I don’t get the chance to get round much.

By the way….I’m off to Thailand next month so where do you recommend I go to see the sites……

Thai tourist…..Sorry sir…I only live there.

Edited by kevjohn
  • Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that's fair enough, if all we're talking about is tourist sghts and what to see, to be honest at that level we're all probably better off just buying a copy of Lonely Planet or similar!

But I'm refering to the "how things work" part, how do you open a bank account, get a tax ID, get a drivers license, buy property, find decent medical help, shop for specialty products, negotiate the immigration maze and so on.

On the train going to the city and approached by a Thai tourist…..Excuse me sir, can you tell me some good tourist site here in Sydney?…

Me…Sorry mate, I only live here. Best to ask the other tourist as I don’t get the chance to get round much.

By the way….I’m off to Thailand next month so where do you recommend I go to see the sites……

So so true thumbsup.gif

And that's fair enough, if all we're talking about is tourist sghts and what to see, to be honest at that level we're all probably better off just buying a copy of Lonely Planet or similar!

But I'm refering to the "how things work" part, how do you open a bank account, get a tax ID, get a drivers license, buy property, find decent medical help, shop for specialty products, negotiate the immigration maze and so on.

Nail / head

If I gave a true answer to the "how things work" part, I'd have to move to Siberia.

So so true thumbsup.gif

I guess that illustrates the differences between tourists and expats quite well, if tourists want tourist advice they are well served to seek out other tourists for their opinions, I wouldn't recommend that would be ex-pats follow the same path however but that is indeed what happens here on TV!

The trouble is that there's so many myths around that it's often quiet difficult to tell fact from fiction, it must be an absolute nightmare for the average newbie. So yes, there is an argument in favour of listening to the advice of the longer term resident, over and above the newbie, having said that, nobody gets it all right 100% of the time.

I have sat and listened to my Dad converse to "newbies"...whistling.gif well its interesting hearing things as seen through his eyesbiggrin.png .. a large proportion of it is total b****ks but of course he knows bestcoffee1.gif .

Like i said before , even expats get it wrong just depends what group of people you associate with and where you live how he behaves.

If he is an older guy going after bar girls, he will have an different view of Thais then me, younger and associating with "normal" Thais from BKK. Everyone will have a different view of Thailand though many things will be the same.

Not convinced.... When I first moved here I didn't believe anything my brother (who had lived here for a number of years) told me. I was convinced that as I had come here on holiday for weeks at a time for many years, he was just being difficult for some obscure reason. Mind you, I'd be the first to admit I was extremely naive.

My brother was young, attractive and only went to bars when it was a work 'do'. I haven't been to a bar in years but it didn't take long to realise my brother was pretty much right...

Bit like the 15 year old boy who thought his parents were retarded and just talked a load of b0ll0cks. When he reached 21, he was so amazed and proud of his parents, that in the last 6 years they had learnt so much and everything they now said made sense.........wink.png

EDIT: Sorry bout that; just liked that story!!

Edited by chrisinth

So this thread is for bickering about the definition of residency and using each others forehead as dartboard ? That's the vibe I picked in the 20s I used browsing the 5 pages, good to know in case I feel the need to contribute.

I'll start with this utterly useless post, as I consider myself a resident by the power of proof in the form of a 5y old residency certificate from Thai immigration.

The thread is for those members that fail to grasp the fact that Thaivisa is a worldwide community, it's to give them a chance to talk among themselves.

It's a bizarre thing though, not one of those members has commented on the thread. It looks like theblether has successfully trolled that section of our membership.

I'm quite proud of myself.

Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone.

That read like the definition of a failed troll.

for a successful troll, read the quietman's current thread

Edited by nocturn

So this thread is for bickering about the definition of residency and using each others forehead as dartboard ? That's the vibe I picked in the 20s I used browsing the 5 pages, good to know in case I feel the need to contribute.

I'll start with this utterly useless post, as I consider myself a resident by the power of proof in the form of a 5y old residency certificate from Thai immigration.

The thread is for those members that fail to grasp the fact that Thaivisa is a worldwide community, it's to give them a chance to talk among themselves.

It's a bizarre thing though, not one of those members has commented on the thread. It looks like theblether has successfully trolled that section of our membership.

I'm quite proud of myself.

Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone.

That read like the definition of a failed troll.

for a successful troll, read the quietman's current thread

I find this exceptionally cruel and unnecessary! Where is your compassion?

I have always found Quietman';s posts to be frank, fair and honest, can you say the same Bouncing Tits?

Edited by edwinclapham

If I had something to complain about concerning 'resident status' it would be about the fact that when newbies ask questions about Thailand, veteran TV members answer as if everyone lives in Bangkok or Pattaya. You may occasionally get a remark like 'it may be different upcountry'. Telling people that they will need $2000.- a month to live in Thailand (for instance) is just ridiculous, in Buriram I can only dream of having so much and I live very well. I think my profile shows 'in Switzerland as yet'. To tell the whole story would take a paragraph.

• Like 1

merely an observation on the mechanics of a successful troll, whether it was intended to be or not.

I am uncertain as to where compassion comes into play.

Besides, i took the topic at face value and answered frankly.

Edited by nocturn

If I had something to complain about concerning 'resident status' it would be about the fact that when newbies ask questions about Thailand, veteran TV members answer as if everyone lives in Bangkok or Pattaya. You may occasionally get a remark like 'it may be different upcountry'. Telling people that they will need $2000.- a month to live in Thailand (for instance) is just ridiculous, in Buriram I can only dream of having so much and I live very well. I think my profile shows 'in Switzerland as yet'. To tell the whole story would take a paragraph.

so if someone were to ask you the cost of living in switzerland, you would give them the costs of living in one of the major urban centres or choose a rural backwater?

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 2

Does anyone know where i can buy an egg poacher?

This is the perfect example of a troll post. biggrin.png

Or maybe not.....perhaps his egg poacher was nicked?

Maybe it was pinched by an expat!! tongue.png

No airline staff actually from an overhead locker!rolleyes.gif

And for those who are too lazy to go to Yok's:

half fill a saucepan of water and bring to the boil, take a spoon and stir the boiling water quite rapidly, break the raw egg into the water, the swirling effect of the water will hold the raw egg together and the heat will make it solidify, allow the egg/water to simmer for one minute and then to remain in the water for a further ten minutes, job done.

Ya see, tourists just don't know such things!

Edited by chiang mai

It can't be that mate.....carmine is worried about his carbon footprint you see. That's why he has an electric mobility scooter.

I would like to add that he is not fat at all and I will report anyone who says he is. biggrin.png

Thats a circle jerk.

Get the kids next door to do it..1 baht an egg....hire is cheaper

But the differences in what you consider "living well" are much more significant than your location.

Even in Buriram, if I needed a large house with a swimming pool and a Benz, ate mostly farang food and sent my kids to international schools, my cost of living would be far higher than what it is right now in Bangkok.

And of course those questions of taste and judgement also vary whether your in country or not.

It can't be that mate.....carmine is worried about his carbon footprint you see. That's why he has an electric mobility scooter.

I would like to add that he is not fat at all and I will report anyone who says he is. biggrin.png

For sure he is not fat.. he strongly advocates Soy Yoghurt...wai.gif

so if someone were to ask you the cost of living in switzerland, you would give them the costs of living in one of the major urban centres or choose a rural backwater?

Let's try and stay calm, shall we? The question is, how much does it cost to live in Thailand? Not, how much it is to live in Bangkok? Nobody answers this kind of question with 'well, here in Bangkok (probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand) it costs...

Same if you ask me about Switzerland, I think Geneva is one of the most expensive cities in the world, I wouldn't blithely quote costs for Geneva and not mention that you can live very well in the countryside (we don't have many rural backwaters here) for much less.

Let's try and stay calm, shall we? The question is, how much does it cost to live in Thailand? Not, how much it is to live in Bangkok? Nobody answers this kind of question with 'well, here in Bangkok (probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand) it costs...

Same if you ask me about Switzerland, I think Geneva is one of the most expensive cities in the world, I wouldn't blithely quote costs for Geneva and not mention that you can live very well in the countryside (we don't have many rural backwaters here) for much less.

I would place Koh Samui near the top of expensive places. Most of the islands would be up there I reckon.

Bangkok can be cheaper if you live well and are careful. The islands do not have the range of choice.

All subjects that I never comment on because I don't have a clue.

Just sayin'