Article On Thailand'S Ghoul Squads

BigJohnnyBKK

Link

An aspect of Thai culture/business I always found pretty bizarre.

If you're actually dead then boy they all race to the scene, too bad they haven't put some sort of economic incentive in place to do as well for those whose lives could be saved, hardly ever see ambulances trying to get through the traffic. . .

Thanks for sharing that link.

I have read somewhere that in the past the was allegations that some of these privateers would fight to be first at a scene to see what they could pilfer?

Don't know if that was just a rumour or fact

Thanks for sharing that link.

I have read somewhere that in the past the was allegations that some of these privateers would fight to be first at a scene to see what they could pilfer?

Don't know if that was just a rumour or fact

Don't know about stealing, but definitely a race to claim the body, which the family then has to pay for to be released.

This was covered years ago by photographer Phil Blenkinsop in a book called The Cars that Ate Bangkok

He rode with these guys night in and night out and capture some pretty shocking images. the book is not for the faint hearted.

Edited by nocturn

I've got a friend who works for one of these private ambulance services and he has LOADS of pictures on his mobile phone of him posing next to dead people. Whether it be in a bodybag (makeshift style) or someone guts and brains splattered under the wheel of a vehicle. Either way, its weird.

This kinda freaks me out

To think that if your are in an accident the people responsible to pick you up and provide crucial first aids medical care are just any guy with a van trying to make cash at night.

The vans look like an upgraded meat wagon

really scary ermm.gif

This kinda freaks me out

To think that if your are in an accident the people responsible to pick you up and provide crucial first aids medical care are just any guy with a van trying to make cash at night.

really scary

They don't give medical care, they just want the body to hold for ransom.

This kinda freaks me out

really scary

They don't give medical care, they just want the body to hold for ransom.

All the more !

They don't know how to handle wounded.

These people are just guys with vans

When you think how crucial the first minutes after an accident are

real scared

All the more !

They don't know how to handle wounded.

These people are just guys with vans

When you think how crucial the first minutes after an accident are

real scared

Just hope you die instantly, much better.

While there are some who undoubtedly get off on the adventure or welcome the money, many others do it as merit-making. Some rather well-off people fund their own ambulances and accept no money from dropping off bodies or from families of those injured.

While there are some who undoubtedly get off on the adventure or welcome the money, many others do it as merit-making. Some rather well-off people fund their own ambulances and accept no money from dropping off bodies or from families of those injured.

Merit or greed is the less of my worries.

It's more skills and ability to handle road casualties

wrong moves can be fatal

I've got a friend who works for one of these private ambulance services and he has LOADS of pictures on his mobile phone of him posing next to dead people. Whether it be in a bodybag (makeshift style) or someone guts and brains splattered under the wheel of a vehicle. Either way, its weird.

Totally sick, sorry! what kind of mentality is this.....

Edited to add: I have always adapted to a large variety of different cultures without any problem, but I do find situations like this repulsive.

Photographs of corpses , particularly of westerners in newspapers etc are particularly insensitive.

If photographs were taken of my own, I wouldnt be responsible for my actions!

Edited by edwinclapham

wrong moves can be fatal

I think we in the west have been taught to put too high a value on human life. We're just not that special.

wrong moves can be fatal

Oh, I agree with that. I was a volunteer EMT for several years in Washington DC, and I have been shocked at the way injured people are handled in some other countries. The worst was when two bicyclists got run off the road in Pohang, Korea. I stopped our bus, and a Navy corpsman (medic) got out to render aid. Both men were unresponsive, so when a cop stopped by and started asking questions, he lifted one guy into the sitting position and started slapping his face to try and get a response before we were able to jump on him and stop him.

Thanks for the link with some great new photos. Sure the topic is not new and if you are scared about it: live in a hospital sad.png

It is so much part of Thailands reality, like it or not.

If you are scared about this, then you should have seen the much lower standard in upcontry!

Good point.