Bills not aimed at getting Thaksin his money back: PM

Lite Beer

Bills not aimed at getting Thaksin his money back: PM

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday affirmed that the reconciliation bills are not aimed at returning her brother Thaksin's confiscated money.

Yingluck yesterday said in her weekly programme that the introduction of reconciliation bills in Parliament is aimed at ending conflict in the country, not to refund Thaksin's money.

"Isn't it too soon to judge that the reconciliation bills will specially benefit someone? I advise everyone to carefully consider the content of the bills. If the majority will not accept the bills, it will be surely dropped. But if the reconciliation process stops, how will the country go on?" Yingluck said.

She also asked all to respect the democratic process and the voice of the majority.

"I haven't seen the reconciliation bills but I believe every bill will benefit all groups of people. It is difficult for everyone to forget about the past as some people have lost their loved ones. The pain is unforgettable. But I want people to forgive each other so that the country can move on. That is the objective of the reconciliation," she said.

Asked about the yellow-shirt protesters, she said that she understands their thoughts but she asked them to respect the law and demonstrate in peace.

At a forum held yesterday by the Thai Journalists Association on "Reconciliation for Whom?", it was proposed that there should be a clear answers to people's doubts such as whether there would be a refund of Bt46 billion to Thaksin. Such clarity would prevent violence.

"Belief is hard to change. Distrust has already happened. It must be accepted that before the military coup [in 2006], there was abuse of power and refusal to listen to the voice of the people. That was the weakness of politicians," Ekachai Sriwilas, director of the Office of Peace and Governance at King Prajadhipok's Institute, said. "Listening takes time. Giving time and opening platforms for sharing opinions will help reduce violence," he said.

"It seems MPs don't want to do that and claim they were elected by the people. They are representatives and don't have to listen to anybody. That's the weakness of politicians," he added.

Democrat MP Thaworn Senneam said the government and opposition whips, and Prime Minister Yingluck and Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva should discuss ways to reconciliation. However, a neutral mediator should be in charge of the implementation.

Pheu Thai MP Chavalit Wichayasut said he agreed with such ideas but it must be emphasised that it was not Yingluck who had proposed the reconciliation bill although the government is 100 per cent behind the proposal.

"I believe that in politics, we need to forgive. If only criminal penalties are imposed, chaos will happen. So we need a reconciliation of justice to end the conflicts."

Later during the forum, Chavalit and Thaworn were involved in a short war of words.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-03

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I haven't seen the reconciliation bills but I believe every bill will benefit all groups of people.

Maybe this kind of thing goes over in Thailand, as reading is not popular, and "serious" people who actually read bills and stuff are no fun!

She hasn't even bothered to read the bills.

What a joke.

Sent from my dog.

It's hard to resolve a dispute when you don't understand the situation.

She can't be bothered.

She's developed the megalomaniac disease from her brother.

"We were elected so we can do what we want"

Sent from my dog.

ok, so it is not about the money

If the bill is meant to bring real reconciliation, peace and harmony to Thailand

and it's people, since there are people outside parliament, can she not see that

this bill will not achieve these goals.

Since the bill will not achieve her stated goal, will she now squash the bill?

IMO - No, she will not

I think its actually funny that she admits she doesn't know what is in the bills and asks the country to "believe" her that what's in them is good for all groups in the country. It takes cajones to go out on a limb of irrationality like that!

Plausible deniability to avoid impeachment for conflict of interest - NOT working.

Sent via my Dick Tracy 2-way Wrist Radio

Would you believe anything that comes out of a Shinawatra mouth?

The PM doesn't know what is in the bills? Why is she PM if she doesn't know?

The bills will end conflict? If that is the case, why is there people apposing it so vigorously? And will conflict in South end too?

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 2

"If the majority will not accept the bills, it will be surely dropped. But if the reconciliation process stops, how will the country go on?" Yingluck said.

Perhaps these rigged bills forgiving all criminal activity and giving away Billions of confiscated assets are not the be all, end all to the reconciliation process.

Edited by Buchholz

Right, Yingluck we believe you....NOT.

Sat. Thaksin in a video address to the Red Shirts:

"They should know that hurting Pheu Thai means hurting the Thai people who chose us," Thaksin said. He insisted the 46 billion baht seized from him after the coup had been legally obtained.

The coup-appointed Assets Scrutiny Committee's investigation led to the Supreme Court ruling in 2010 to seize the money after finding the former premier had abused his power to benefit his family's telecom business.

"I had 86 billion baht worth of assets before I entered politics, but they stole 46 billion from me," Thaksin said.

Without any shame he made this statement. Thaksin..It is Thai Peoples money not yours you did not pay Tax and the Government took it. Man up man.

The court stole his money? Maybe he is referring to the snack box full of cash his lawyer was busted trying to bribe court officials with?

"Isn't it too soon to judge that the reconciliation bills will specially benefit someone?

Not if you can read words & string them together cognitively in a basic semantic process.

• Like 2

"I had 86 billion baht worth of assets before I entered politics, but they stole 46 billion from me," Thaksin said.

Really? ermm.gif That's not what he said before. dry.png Not even remotely close. bah.gif

Thaksin is either lying now or he lied in 2001.

Which occurrence would he prefer to be prosecuted for?

the asset declarations of Thaksin and his then-wife Pojaman back in 2001 were Bt569 million and Bt9.96 billion, respectively.

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry3372545

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

I think they need to find a new title for the Bills - reconcilliation just doesn't fit the bill...........

why do they keep using that word when it's obviously wrong - this whole thing is taking Thailand down a rat hole and dividing the people not bringing them together

what a circus

Its a shame the country keeps getting dragged back to the past by Taksin. The best thing that could happen is for the country to forgot about Taksin and move forward and on.

I agree it is a shame we keep getting back to this, but how does the country move forward? In terms of stability it would be good if the Democrats and possibly Abhisit were back in power, but is that really the way forward, or is that just burying the head in the sand and sticking with the traditional set up of power, which has arguably contributed to the dissatisfaction we have in the society now? I dont know what the answer is.

Like it or not, but i believe that many ordinary people of all political and apolitical positions have had their eyes opened in recent times, to the corruption, money grabbing and self serving attitudes of many politicians. I am not sure people will simply accept a return to status quo in the long run, and the next big political issue whether it be in 5-10 or even 20 years, could be far more severe unless a viable and acceptable solution is put forward by someone.

The bills will end conflict? If that is the case, why is there people apposing it so vigorously? And will conflict in South end too?

She doesn't know what's in the bills because she is totally out of the loop! She's not the boss and she's not running the country. She has no need to know in reality, but she should at least look like she knows what she's doing.

Until there is a real champion for the poor such as Aung San Suu Kyi, will this country really be able to more forward.

Its a shame the country keeps getting dragged back to the past by Taksin. The best thing that could happen is for the country to forgot about Taksin and move forward and on.

The people have no change to forget about Thaksin. He is holding this country (and people) hostage. It's liking trying to sleep at night but every 30 min Thaksin will call you and say: "He what are you trying to do? Sleeping? What about me? I am still in Dubai and I still haven't gotten my 46 billion". Yes Khun Thaksin but how about us? There are 60 million Thai people that want to go on with their lives?"

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

She doesn't know what's in the bills because she is totally out of the loop! She's not the boss and she's not running the country. She has no need to know in reality, but she should at least look like she knows what she's doing.

Until there is a real champion for the poor such as Aung San Suu Kyi, will this country really be able to more forward.

Yingluck knows EVERYTHING. She knows EXACTLY what she is doing. But she is a Shinawatra and we all know that Shinawatra's are hypocrites.

• Like 1

Yingluck yesterday said in her weekly programme that the introduction of reconciliation bills in Parliament is aimed at ending conflict in the country, not to refund Thaksin's money.

"Isn't it too soon to judge that the reconciliation bills will specially benefit someone? I advise everyone to carefully consider the content of the bills. If the majority will not accept the bills, it will be surely dropped." Yingluck said.

- Nation Newspaper

She can say the ruse is not to get 46 billion baht for her brother (and 900 million for herself), but you can bet your useless Elite card that when the gates are opened for that to happen (and it will), Shinawatre clan members will gladly take the money. Indeed, they'll be smiling broadly at how easy it was to bribe and manipulate the peons and fellow PT members - to back their money grubbing ruse.

But if the reconciliation process stops, how will the country go on?"

- Yingluck

What a truckload of rotten kwai crap.

• Like 2

" I advise everyone to carefully consider the content of the bills."

So she's taken the time to read it?

She is just saying what she is told to say (big bro rules). I don’t believe she really take time to read the Bill anways. Beside it is really all about bringing Thaksin back and into the power again