Wi Fi For House

klikster

After years of needing dongles for internet access, I finally got an ADSL line from 3BB. biggrin.png

I would like to set up for my wife's laptop in another room. I have the Huawei MT880 router. What is the best and least painful way to set up using wireless? What about security?

Or should I just get a long cable and curse every time I get tangled in it?

Your wife's notebook will find the signal. I'd suggest to secure it with a password first. Then just type the password and you're good to go.

If the access point is too far away you can buy an antenna for 390 baht and use a USB cable, not longer than five meters.

Or you just use a cable directly from your router.

Edited by sirchai

It is a real shame that 3BB did not provide you with wireless router in the first place.

To sell a router with only one ethernet port is ridiculous.

You will need to buy a second box to allow multiple cable connections

and support wireless for your wife's computer.

Something like this

No doubt others will be able to recommend models

If the main computer is is wireless or buy a wireless dongle for it, then just get the software, like "connectify" and you can connect up to 5 devices without problem. No need to buy a router.

It is a real shame that 3BB did not provide you with wireless router in the first place.

At the 3BB office I signed up for they offered either the standard Huawei wired or a wireless version.

I use a Linksys (Cisco) WAG120N for our house and works to cover both top and bottom floors. The only disadvantage is it has no external antenna if you need to extend the range. Invadeit.com shows it available.

If you decide to keep your wired router and add a wireless to the setup then be sure to assign only one of the devices for DHCP.

3BB has a router with both wileless and ethernet conections on one router its called a "Huawai Home Gateway" ,has 4 lan conections and wireless.

I have one for about 2 years now never had any trouble with it.

Edited by happynthailand

I did a quick search on your "Huawei MT880", it seems it does not have WiFi built in. You may want to invest in a new router with modem/router/wifi built in. Examples:

DLink DSL-2750U (http://www.dlink.co.th/products/?idproduct=495&idCategory=180)

DLink DSL-2730U (http://www.dlink.co.th/products/?idproduct=496&idCategory=180)

I like the above models because:

- Supports IPV6

- Guess access feature.

- All in one (xDSL Modem/router/WiFi)

If you do go this route, remember to get your setting right, username, passwords, xDSL settings, etc.

For WiFi basic security:

- Enable WPA2-Personal and give it a good long password for your PC and wife's laptop. Currently, WPA2 is the best for WiFi.

- Do not announce your SSID, not actually a security feature but prevents accidental connections. Prevents the "casual" or passing wifi user from detecting your WiFi. With tools, people can still "see" your hidden WiFi, which is why WPA2 is important.

- If you have frequent guests and you want to give them internet access, create a separate SSID for them and give it a good WPA2 "simple" password. You should keep the guest SSID hidden, just for good practice.

The biggest hurdle you may encounter may not be the security protection, but rather the range of the WiFi. Wifi don't like cordless telephones, microwave ovens, or neighbor's WiFi.

The above mentioned hardware are what I use, among others (Asus RT-N56U), but I don't like Billion (pain in the arse to setup, but that's my personal opinion).

Hope all goes well with your WiFi endeavor!

Personally, if you're not Techie, I'd ask 3BB to change the router. When I got my 3BB they installed a wireless router, setup the security etc so I was "good to go" with both laptops.

It may cost B1,500 but better than starting on something that you don't understand (even if it is reasonably easy).

• Like 1

Personally, if you're not Techie, I'd ask 3BB to change the router. When I got my 3BB they installed a wireless router, setup the security etc so I was "good to go" with both laptops.

It may cost B1,500 but better than starting on something that you don't understand (even if it is reasonably easy).

I too agree, if you can get 3BB to do the job for you (setup WiFi with proper security), or better yet, a family member that is tech savy to help install or guide you. Though I'm not all too convinced with the techs (3BB, True, or otherwise).... just double check their work after they leave. They will most likely use the easiest security method to avoid confusion..

I was set up by 3BB with a Huawei HG521c wireless router a month ago. Plan 6Mbs (actually delivers 6.3) for one year ~ 630baht/month, router cost one-off 1,281 baht.

Great wifi performance around the house, downloading max thus far 900kb/sec. Maybe you could speak to 3BB and renegotiate a few easy things... AA

Thank you folks very much for the variety of answers.

I'm aware that I don't have a wireless router, my bad.. I gave the task of getting the internet connection in to the wife -- so I need to take responsibility for not planning ahead well enough.

Lots of nice recommendations here. I will have the wife contact 3BB. We have the Bt 900 plan (9 Mbs). So getting the 3BB unit would be sole source responsibility, so to speak.

I doubt the range will be an issue -- thinking in terms of a smallish 1 level house.

Regards

After I get the unit, try to configure it, then bang my head on the table for an hour or so, I will probably be back here asking for more specific help.

As an afterthought, would one of the DLink models be significantly better than what 3BB is likely to supply?

Edited by klikster

Thank you folks very much for the variety of answers.

I'm aware that I don't have a wireless router, my bad.. I gave the task of getting the internet connection in to the wife -- so I need to take responsibility for not planning ahead well enough.

Lots of nice recommendations here. I will have the wife contact 3BB. We have the Bt 900 plan (9 Mbs). So getting the 3BB unit would be sole source responsibility, so to speak.

I doubt the range will be an issue -- thinking in terms of a smallish 1 level house.

Regards

After I get the unit, try to configure it, then bang my head on the table for an hour or so, I will probably be back here asking for more specific help.

As an afterthought, would one of the DLink models be significantly better than what 3BB is likely to supply?

If you can give me the model number of the WiFi router 3BB would give you, I can do a quick search on the net and quickly read through their manual to see if it's "better".

Don't go banging your head on anything. Start simple with no encryption just to get the hang of connecting things via WiFi. Then increase the difficulty by increasing security. Best way of doing this is; have at least 1 PC/Notebook connected via LAN cable to the router and the other PC/Notebook via WiFi. Have both side by side if possible, or at least, prevent yourself from doing too much walking.

For wireless security, I have activated MAC filtering too.

Waste of time except for casual hacker - its easy to duplicate a MAC address of an existing device that can access the WIFI

Use WAP2-PSK with a decent size mixed character password

• Like 1

Yes, WPA2-PSK (Personal) with a nice long password.

Some generators to help you with:

http://www.speedguide.net/wlan_key.php

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/archives/2009/09/03/highly-customisable-general-password-or-wep-wpa-wpa2-key-generator-tool/

Or you can google it "WPA2 password generator", or in that line of thinking.

I did a quick search on your "Huawei MT880", it seems it does not have WiFi built in. You may want to invest in a new router with modem/router/wifi built in. Examples:

DLink DSL-2750U (http://www.dlink.co....&idCategory=180)

DLink DSL-2730U (http://www.dlink.co....&idCategory=180)

- Supports IPV6

- Guess access feature.

If you do go this route, remember to get your setting right, username, passwords, xDSL settings, etc.

For WiFi basic security:

- Enable WPA2-Personal and give it a good long password for your PC and wife's laptop. Currently, WPA2 is the best for WiFi.

- Do not announce your SSID, not actually a security feature but prevents accidental connections. Prevents the "casual" or passing wifi user from detecting your WiFi. With tools, people can still "see" your hidden WiFi, which is why WPA2 is important.

- If you have frequent guests and you want to give them internet access, create a separate SSID for them and give it a good WPA2 "simple" password. You should keep the guest SSID hidden, just for good practice.

The biggest hurdle you may encounter may not be the security protection, but rather the range of the WiFi. Wifi don't like cordless telephones, microwave ovens, or neighbor's WiFi.

The above mentioned hardware are what I use, among others (Asus RT-N56U), but I don't like Billion (pain in the arse to setup, but that's my personal opinion).

I would agree with everything here, but I would suggest you look at a TP-LINK wireless-modem-router, either the model I use which is the TD-W8960N, or the later dual freq model

TL-WR2543ND which I will buy as soon as I can find it.

DLink DSL-2750U (http://www.dlink.co....&idCategory=180)

DLink DSL-2730U (http://www.dlink.co....&idCategory=180)

- Supports IPV6

- Guess access feature.

For WiFi basic security:

I would agree with everything here, but I would suggest you look at a TP-LINK wireless-modem-router, either the model I use which is the TD-W8960N, or the later dual freq model

TL-WR2543ND which I will buy as soon as I can find it.

Looks like a nice router, how much is it going for here?

I did a quick look-see in the user manual, doesn't really have a true guest access.

Wonder if there are any reviews out there.

"The more I learn the confuseder I get"

Been doing some research in the internet. One recommendation is to get an IPv6 enabled device. The reason I said 'device' is because during my Internet browsing I saw this.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ResNet advises against purchasing a wireless "router" and instead recommends that residents purchase a wireless "access point". They provide the same wireless access and security without complications such as network address translation (NAT) and DHCP. source is University of California at Irvine

Not sure about the difference, still trying to climb that learning curve.

"The more I learn the confuseder I get"

Been doing some research in the internet. One recommendation is to get an IPv6 enabled device. The reason I said 'device' is because during my Internet browsing I saw this.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ResNet advises against purchasing a wireless "router" and instead recommends that residents purchase a wireless "access point". They provide the same wireless access and security without complications such as network address translation (NAT) and DHCP. source is University of California at Irvine

Not sure about the difference, still trying to climb that learning curve.

IPv6 is something everyone that uses the internet needs to "migrate" to. In short, it's a monumental event that will take years, think along the lines of going from analog TV signal to digital TV signal, something that happened in the US and possible parts of Europe. I'm not going into too much details here. But in short, yes, if you can get a device that support IPv6 you will be future proofing your network. Devices that support IPv6 should have the following logo (http://www.ipv6ready.org/), or read through their tech specs to see if it is supported.

At the moment, unless the local ISP's announce they are already running IPv6 it would be highly advisable NOT to enable IPv6, otherwise you'll run into routing problems.... may even want to check your in your Windows 7 to disable IPv6. You CAN buy network equipment that supports IPv6, just don't enable it, just wait until you need to enable it.

Your statement "Not sure about the difference...", in layman's terms, IPv4 and IPv6 is (Internet Protocol version 4 or 6). It's the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx numerical number known as IP address you may see or notice associated with your PC. In IPv4 the address space has essentially ran out, the world now has more devices and there are no more addresses to give out. So comes IPv6. Short clips explaining about IPv4 & 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1PmE2t9pk) and (

).

Hope the short clips helps explain things for you. Holler if you need help.

• 3 months later...

We have 3BB here in Khon Kaen, and a few days ago the modem/wireless-router gave up....just quite working.

Looks like I should have come to this forum to ask some questions, BUT since I did not have internet service that was not real easy.

So i thought 'how difficult can this be' its just a modem and a wireless router....everyone needs one?? In the USA my modem and wireless router are 2 differnt units....Motorola modem, Netgear wireless router. They have both worked great for years. And if I lose my connection for some reason. I unplug everything, the plug it back in a sequence....first the modem. then the router, then the computer. It readjust itself I imagine.

So I thought perhaps another Netgear piece of equip? looks like Netgear stuff is hard to find in Thailand?

Someone made the suggestion I go with a Cisco WAG120n ADSL2 unit. Had to have the people at 3BB program it at there sales location, then had to have a service guy come out from the cable service. So much for simplicity ?

Now I go visting a few websites and I seem to discover that these units are unrealiable, and will not enter the dual mode of 2,4gz or 5gz automatically because of some software glich the manufacturer decided to leave off? I think I got that tech-speak correct??

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG320N-wireless-problems/m-p/376037?comm_cc=HSapacen&comm_lang=en

Can anyone here offer me encourgement that I have made the correct selection of a unit or not, and what alternate I might consider??

PS:

1) In our two story townhouse the laptop still gets an excellent reception in the back bedroom, but only 'good' reception in the front bedroom. I would have thought the 'n' routers would have a better range? I litterly can pick up some neighbors wireless better than my own in this front bedroom?

2) The unit itself seems to be pretty hot to the touch (really warm) on its bottom surface. Isn't this a sign that it is consuming lots of current?

I splashed a few quid on the Netgear DGND3700. Apart from support 802.11n downwards, it also has two USB ports; if you download stuff you can stick it directly onto Router attached Hard Disks and stream it to any network attached device in your abode.

Best bit of Wireless kit I've ever bought.

I splashed a few quid on the Netgear DGND3700. Apart from support 802.11n downwards, it also has two USB ports; if you download stuff you can stick it directly onto Router attached Hard Disks and stream it to any network attached device in your abode.

Did you buy it in Thailand?...where?...how much?

Firstly, from my experience (being a torrent fan) I wouldn't touch a D-link router with anyones bargepole - they are /were CRAP! They will hang the moment you get any volume of traffic. Do yourself a favour and spend a little bit more and buy something half decent like Linksys, Cisco or even at a push Belkin, anything but D-link!

Did you buy it in Thailand?...where?...how much?

I didn't, I bought it in the Gulf, but I'm sure you can find it in Thailand; on Amazon it's currently $207

• 7 months later...

Can anyone give me directions to change my 3bb Huawei HG521c WiFi Router to 802.11n protocol?

What I have seen so far seems to indicate I need to use AES encryption instead of TKIP and 20/40 channel bandwidth.

Can I just make the changes to the network connection I am using or do I need to make a new network connection?

Thank you in advance.

MSPain

Edited by hml367