Manchester United

redrus

What a dreadfull game last night against Marseille. Looking at the line up with Berbs up front, alone and Rooney wide left you know you're in for a poor spectacle.Ok sometimes United get away with it.But SAF's comments,post game, he was happy with the result and we will be better at home is frankly dangerous and in his heart he knows it.If Marseille nick a goal at OT it might be good night nurse.

Carrick and Gibson were poor and I seem to remember the only shot on target was from Fletcher.Fletcher ,Scholes,Gibson and Carrick have scored no more than 6 goals between them all season ,in all competitions.

I really would like to see Nani left ,Hernandes on the right flank, where he played in the WC for Mexico with distinction on occasions.Berbs up front and Rooney in behind.I think Hernandes with his pace would have given Heinze all sorts of problems. When Rooney plays left flank he doesn't have the pace to go past the full back he always cuts inside,its so predictable. Disagree if you wish but last night was dreadful and Arsenal are breathing dowen our collective necks let alone CL.Only re assuring note was the continued excellence of young Smalling for the injury prone Rio.

Always a big danger when you don't get at leats one Away Goal in the first Leg in my opinion..

You could even be winning the second leg, dominating, looking for the second then bang out of nowhere, you're out with the opposition Away Goal & Marseilles WILL get chances to score it at OT..

What a dreadfull game last night against Marseille. Looking at the line up with Berbs up front, alone and Rooney wide left you know you're in for a poor spectacle.Ok sometimes United get away with it.But SAF's comments,post game, he was happy with the result and we will be better at home is frankly dangerous and in his heart he knows it.If Marseille nick a goal at OT it might be good night nurse.

Carrick and Gibson were poor and I seem to remember the only shot on target was from Fletcher.Fletcher ,Scholes,Gibson and Carrick have scored no more than 6 goals between them all season ,in all competitions.

I really would like to see Nani left ,Hernandes on the right flank, where he played in the WC for Mexico with distinction on occasions.Berbs up front and Rooney in behind.I think Hernandes with his pace would have given Heinze all sorts of problems. When Rooney plays left flank he doesn't have the pace to go past the full back he always cuts inside,its so predictable. Disagree if you wish but last night was dreadful and Arsenal are breathing dowen our collective necks let alone CL.Only re assuring note was the continued excellence of young Smalling for the injury prone Rio.

Well why copy and paste from all news sources, that about says it all..... Spot on mate.... :jap:

Carrick must go but, I'm gonna stick my neck on the block now and remain in faith with Obertan and Gibson. I see something in them, seriously I really do and, I think we should not be too hasty. I remember not so long ago everyone slagging off Fletcher and, I always said he was class and should now be one of the first on the team sheet....!

redrus

Carrick must go but, I'm gonna stick my neck on the block now and remain in faith with Obertan and Gibson. I see something in them, seriously I really do and, I think we should not be too hasty. I remember not so long ago everyone slagging off Fletcher and, I always said he was class and should now be one of the first on the team sheet....!

Yeah i think Obertan and Gibson need more time, but will come good. Bebe though... still a mystery to me why we signed him. Anyone know?

Sparkles is dead right with the formation we should have gone with last night.

Singh is also correct in our position being precarious now. We need a minimum of two goals in the next leg, and that's a hard thing to guarantee with the way we have been playing of late. Still, it is at OT, and that makes a big difference - just look at this season's stats.

Next three games away though. Wigan, Chelsea and Liverpool. Should be interesting.

Yeah i think Obertan and Gibson need more time, but will come good. Bebe though... still a mystery to me why we signed him. Anyone know?

Singh is also correct in our position being precarious now. We need a minimum of two goals in the next leg, and that's a hard thing to guarantee with the way we have been playing of late. Still, it is at OT, and that makes a big difference - just look at this season's stats.

Next three games away though. Wigan, Chelsea and Liverpool. Should be interesting.

The interesting one will be the FA Cup face off between your guys and our guys (Arsenal - assuming we beat Leyton); particularly if we are both still in the CL and things remain tightish in the EPL. I could see both managers dipping heavily into their youth teams and manfully taking the headmaster's caning from the FA on not picking their ace teams :rolleyes:

PS - for the first time this season I am feeling that Arsenal can actually haul you down in the Premier League title race. I'm even thinking we might upset you at OT in the league if we can both field full strength sides. Did not expect to get to that point. Cue Arsenal fade !!

PPS - which one would you Man U supporters want if there was a straight choice between the CL and EPL titles? I'm undecided but sort of veer towards the CL because that's where the real worldwide exposure comes these days and how you draw the playing talent. I guess SAF wants the EPL again to stuff it up the other reds. [Yeah yeah I know - you want and expect them both].

The interesting one will be the FA Cup face off between your guys and our guys (Arsenal - assuming we beat Leyton);

Don't mean to be pedantic but it's Leyton Orient, no one calls them " Leyton "...

The interesting one will be the FA Cup face off between your guys and our guys (Arsenal - assuming we beat Leyton);

Don't mean to be pedantic but it's Leyton Orient, no one calls them " Leyton "...

Or the Orient or the 'O's'. Another poster from Esher obviously. ;)

Or the Orient or the 'O's'. Another poster from Esher obviously. ;)

But NEVER " Leyton "..

Yorkshire to be more precise, hence him not knowing..

Bebe might do a Nani ?...wishful thinking! I have a couple of 14 year old Thai boys, I am working with, that have better ball control.I bet the scout that recommended Bebe is getting an earful from SAF.Still too early to right him off completely and if anyone can explain the deterioration in Carricks form over the last 2 seasons please let us know.He was recognisd as a very accurate passer of the pill. Scholesy looks like resigning for another season but surely SAF is going to have to get into the transfer market

Just as a matter of discussion, on my records Hernandes has scored 10 goals for United ,all competitions. On a goals v time played ratio he must be leading the pack by a big margin. Seeing him sitting on the bench is starting to get to me. He was recognised at the WC to be the fastest player . I dont know how they calculate that but I guess technolgy can and for any defender he is just the type of player you dont want to be responsible for controlling.

Just as a matter of discussion, on my records Hernandes has scored 10 goals for United ,all competitions. On a goals v time played ratio he must be leading the pack by a big margin. Seeing him sitting on the bench is starting to get to me. He was recognised at the WC to be the fastest player . I dont know how they calculate that but I guess technolgy can and for any defender he is just the type of player you dont want to be responsible for controlling.

Agreed. Hernandes doesn't deserve to be sitting on the bench. He probably feels much like Macheda did last season, who i thought also earned the right to start more games.

Back to green pea, i'd quite like to see him up front with Berba and Rooney in behind. All three of them on the pitch at the same time would be interesting.

To your earlier half tongue in cheek (or was it a full tongue?) comment about Bebe doing a Nani, the problem i see is not just lack of talent, but a serious lack of fitness.

Wayne Rooney prepared to play out of position as Manchester United reach crucial time of season

The Telegraph online

Wayne Rooney insists he is happy to play out of position if it helps Manchester United emerge triumphant from the run of fixtures which will define their challenge for the Premier League title.

Sir Alex Ferguson stationed Rooney on the left for United’s goalless draw in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 tie with Marseille on Wednesday, a role the England striker may be forced to fill at least twice in crucial fixtures over the next 10 days.

Ferguson takes his side to Wigan on Saturday — where Rooney may be restored to his usual front-line post — before United travel to Stamford Bridge on the Tuesday and then, a week on Sunday, to Anfield.

Old Trafford’s injury list and Ferguson’s burgeoning taste for playing a lone forward in critical away games means the 25 year-old may well be named on the flank against Chelsea and Liverpool.

Neither manager nor player would pretend a wide berth brings the best out of Rooney. However, he says he is willing to play anywhere to help United, who are missing seven first-team players through injury.

“We have got a lot of injuries at the minute, so I do not have a problem [playing on the wing],” Rooney said. “Obviously when you are played wide left it is difficult to adjust if you have not played there for a while, but we have injuries, so if I have to do the job, there’s no problem".

Manchester United's owners the Glazers set to reiterate their commitment to club

By Paul Kelso 7:56PM GMT 24 Feb 2011- Telegraph Online

The Glazer family are expected to move to end persistent speculation over the possible sale of Manchester United on Friday, issuing a statement in their latest financial results reiterating their commitment to their ownership of the club.

United will issue a quarterly financial update to bond holders and it is likely to be accompanied by a statement in response to repeated suggestions that the Glazers are in negotiations to sell the club to Qatar Holdings.

Ambiguity over the Glazers’ ultimate intentions for United, allied to Qatar’s immense wealth and the success of its 2022 World Cup bid, has fuelled speculation for the past two months.

The club have repeatedly denied that there is any truth in the Qatar speculation, but the Glazers’ lack of transparency and suspicion of their motives has undermined these statements.

The speculation, which continued on Thursday with an unsourced report that the Qatar “royal family” was preparing a £1.5 billion bid for the club, has affected the value of United bonds, driving them to record highs last week.

The Glazers are hopeful that a statement accompanying what amounts to a regulatory filing will help calm the market and end reports that have become increasingly irritating to the Floridians.

]If Qatar Wants To Buy Manchester United, Then £1.5bn Is Way Over The Odds

by The Guardian (RSS feed) on 25.Feb.2011 at 7:55

Only the al-Thani family in Qatar, the Glazers and their closest advisers really know whether there is any truth to the persistent rumours of the sale of Manchester United. What is clear is that the ownership of the club will change when the Glazers believe they can sell for the maximum profit.

In December last year, the United director Michael Edelson said what everyone in the financial world knows, that "it is inevitable that at some time they [the Glazers] will sell". Such is the nature of leveraged buyouts; the buyer makes money by putting in place a relatively small amount of equity (in the Glazers' case no more than £272m of the £831m total price paid) in the hope that the value of the asset will rise, leaving them a handsome profit. While the Glazer takeover has cost Manchester United over £300m in interest payments, losses on derivatives contracts and banking fees, the family have taken only £23m in "consultancy fees" and loans in the past five and half years. To make serious money from United, the family from Florida needs to sell at a profit. But that may be hard to achieve.

At £1bn, the low end of the range of putative sale prices quoted in the media in recent weeks, the Glazers would make only a small profit on their original purchase. From that £1bn must first be deducted around £390m of net debt on the club's balance sheet. Then there is the mysterious case of the "payment in kind" or PIK loans, which the Glazers repaid in November at a cost of £249.1m. The repayment came either from the family's own resources or, more likely, from refinancing old loans with new.

Either way, that money needs to be taken into account too and together with the net debt would reduce the value to the family from a £1bn bid to circa £360m. Because the pound has fallen 13% against the dollar since the takeover in 2005, that £360m is now worth $583m today, compared to the $504m it cost them to put in their original £272m of equity. A $79m (£49m) profit is not to be dismissed, but is not compelling. So to make "real" money, the Glazers need a price nearer the £1.5bn mentioned in recent reports.

The problem with a figure of this magnitude is that it values the club far above the level that most financial analysis would suggest is rational. Football clubs are unique assets, making them hard to value, but we do have some benchmarks.

Although the value of Arsenal shares has been puffed up by the battle for control between Alisher Usmanov and Stan Kroenke, the share price gives Arsenal a valuation of only around 11.5-times last year's "Ebitda" (cash profits excluding player sales).

Using multiples of Ebitda is as good a way as any of comparing clubs' valuations as they indicate trading profitability without the x-factor of transfer income. By this measure John W Henry's Fenway Sports Group's £300m deal to buy Liverpool last year valued the club at 8.6-times Ebitda.

Last year Manchester United made Ebitda of £100m, and therefore the Arsenal and Liverpool benchmarks would suggest a value for United of between £900m and £1.2bn.

The Glazers would no doubt claim that United's unique money-making ability means the club warrants a higher valuation but not everything is rosy at Old Trafford. Player wages continue to increase at a frightening place; Wayne Rooney's new contract alone will reportedly cost an extra £4.5m per year, just under 5% of profits.

The squad is reliant on ageing players who will need to be replaced and despite prices being frozen this season, the club failed to sell all its season tickets for the first time in decades.

The growth in domestic TV money has slowed to a trickle (the latest three-year domestic deal is worth only 4.5% more than the previous one). And then there is the question of how to replace Sir Alex Ferguson when he finally decides to retire. How the Glazer family weigh up these challenges facing their most valuable asset will determine the timing of their eventual sale. In the meantime, a British media keen to talk up the club's value will hardly be unwelcome in Florida.

Andy Green blogs on Manchester United and their finances at http://andersred.blogspot.com/

redrus

Edited by redrus

I would like to agree on Gibson coming good.Its easy to forget he is now 24 has been with the club since 2004.SAF has given him game time but after all this time surely if he was going to cement a permanent place it would have happened by now.

Obertan ,still hold out hope for him. When I watch him his body language its a bit hypo .Like if I don't do something special I am going to get hauled off.I think he trys too hard. He scored a stunning hat trick in reserves a while ago but game time on the big stage has been limited.

Not sure if you guys have been following young Tom Cleverley's progress, on loan at Wigan, but got a bad injury a while ago and just coming back but his England Under 21 appearances have looked good, attacking mid fielder and can play right or left side.One to watch.

Theres a whole host of young talent coming through,if you get to see reserves and the youth team but its a massive leap forward which almost forces you into the overseas player market.

Sure Michael Owen will be let go and Wellbeck will come back but the problem for me is in midfield.I dont see anybody who can take the big step. And lets not forget the other Owen (Hargreaves) what a tragedy surely he will have to retire bar some miracle

I would like to agree on Gibson coming good.Its easy to forget he is now 24 has been with the club since 2004.SAF has given him game time but after all this time surely if he was going to cement a permanent place it would have happened by now.

What makes me want to give him still more time is the fact that he can strike a ball with more venom than just about any other player i have seen. Plus the fact that in terms of actual number of first team games he has started, it's still not that many.

Not sure if you guys have been following young Tom Cleverley's progress, on loan at Wigan, but got a bad injury a while ago and just coming back but his England Under 21 appearances have looked good, attacking mid fielder and can play right or left side.One to watch.

Always brings a smirk to my face when i hear the commentators mention Cleverley's name - for a spilt second i can't stop myself hearing it as an adverb.

Reminds me a bit of how confusing and amusing it was when watching a game with Stefan Kuntz in it. But perhaps it's just me and i need to grow up... biggrin.gif

Although the value of Arsenal shares has been puffed up by the battle for control between Alisher Usmanov and Stan Kroenke, the share price gives Arsenal a valuation of only around 11.5-times last year's "Ebitda" (cash profits excluding player sales).

Nice pice that Red. But a couple of things have me confused. Ebitda is Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization. So in my view, it's not really about cash profits it's really about your turnover. The profit element is after all of your deductions have been made.

The other thing is about the valuation of a club. I'm not sure a valuation can be that descriptive. Most businesses have good will and as much as it pains me to admit, I would think United have this in abundance. Anyway, at the end of the day, if the Qataries (if that's a word) fancy paying 1.5bn they will and they probably won't lose much sleep over it. The worry for me, would be how they intend to account for it through the books. You don't want to go from your current debt situation, to an even bigger one. I'd love you to but you wouldn't want to :D

^ Awe mate, you love us really, I know you only want the best for us..... :whistling:

Fair points though, but we know that basically something is only ever worth what ever someone else will pay for it....!

FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED KEEPER HANUTED BY DRINK DEMONS

SportingPreview.com: 25 February 2011

Roy Carroll has a reputation as a heavy drinker and a bit of a gambler and accepts that most fans remember him for conceding 'The Goal That Never Was', a lob from Tottenham's Pedro Mendes which he fumbled a few yards over the line yet, incredibly, was never given.

And it seems that a decision to check into rehab in 2006 while at West Ham for alcohol issues continues to haunt him. Carroll feared a sudden downward spiral could have killed him so he sorted it.

After 18 months in Scandinavia, without any problems, Carroll now realises that getting a club in this country is not as simple as he expected.

Speaking in The Sun, Carroll said: "I signed a three-year contract and planned to move my wife and two children there.

"But my son, Jordan, is dyslexic and in the end, I felt the move - with him having to learn Danish at school - would be too much for the boy.

"I really loved it in Denmark but I was only coming home twice a month and I missed my family and, to be honest, I missed English football.

"Odense understood, were brilliant and cancelled my contract during their winter break. I thought I would find another club reasonably easily.

"But that has not been the case. It has pretty much ruined my career, the drink thing. Managers keep bringing it up - drink - and it is so frustrating.

"I was never an alcoholic. It was a problem, I admit, because it was getting worse and worse.

"Now I can go out twice a month, go out with friends and have a drink. There is nothing wrong with letting your hair down.

"But I want to play football. At the moment, I sit in the house thinking 'why isn't anyone interested in me? Are they worried about me regarding the drink?'

"Even if it is a deal until the end of the season, I would like to prove my point.

"Look at Brad Friedel, David James, Edwin Van Der Sar - he's got better with age. But my reputation's made things tough.

"At West Ham I suffered a back injury, was out for six months, had been replaced by Robert Green and I became really depressed.

"I went through a stage of my life when I was binge drinking. I was stupid.

"All I wanted to do was go out and drink. I then woke up one day and said this could not continue.

"I thought if I don't sort it out, I'd end up six foot under.

"At training on Monday and Tuesdays, I didn't want to know. Alan Pardew was wonderful with me, though, and was very understanding.

"I went into rehab and ended up in the news pages of your paper.

"Yet my mistake was that I tried to push it under the carpet and I never spoke about it publicly, like I am today.

"Since then, whenever something bad has happened or I made a mistake, it has been 'Roy Carroll has a bad attitude - he drinks and gambles'.

"At West Ham, we played poker in the team hotels but it was never the major problem.

"I still play poker with friends now and I enjoy it.

"As for going to the bookies, I do not understand racing or know why anyone would want to put money on football as there is no enjoyment in that."

Yet Carroll found himself the subject of rumour at Derby when a match against Norwich provoked some strange betting patterns linked to the Far East. Carroll had been sent off while Norwich keeper David Marshall let in a soft winner.

He admits: "There was stuff sort of pointing the finger without actually naming me, while Marshall was also mentioned. It was frustrating."

Carroll won a Premier League medal in 2003 and an FA Cup medal 12 months later at United and admitted: "Sir Alex brought me on against Millwall with five minutes to go because he said I'd done well in the semi-final.

"He actually offered me a new four-year contract in 2005 but would not guarantee first-team football.

"Yet he was always fantastic with me and, even when I left, he always said if I ever needed anything I should ring."

And he admits he will never live down that night against Spurs on January 4, 2005.

He said: "It's football. Freak accidents happen. I know that's what I am most famous for - 'the goal that wasn't'.

"The worst thing about it was I ended up moving to West Ham and Spurs fans live round here in Epping. It was a nightmare!"

As for now, Carroll said: "I just want to play and, while I am keeping myself fit, it's not the same as training each day.

"I do not want to look like I'm desperate, crying to get back in, but I would really like to return.

"I feel I have several years left in me and I do not want to go back into Europe. I just want a chance in England."

Sad, good luck Roy.

He certainly was not our worst keeper by a long shot (pardon the pun) and, seemed a reasonable chap too.

redrus

Great to see green pea get the start we were agreeing he deserved. And didn't he justify the manager's decision! That impressive goal scoring record you were talking about Sparky just got even better!

And even better than his performance i thought was VDS's. Those two times Wigan broke through on goal looked like certain goals. Almost any other keeper between the sticks and they would have been. The thought of losing him is becoming more painful.

Happy to finally get an away win - and in the end a convincing win. Can't remember the last time we had one of those.

One negative comment, what the **** was Rooney thinking of? Unlike the manager, i do think he got away with one there. Yes there wasn't much contact but the intention was obvious. Not that it's any excuse, but i can't help thing there must have been some sort of incident off the ball previous to this. Anyway, he did get away with it and i just hope he cuts this crap out for future games, cos next time he won't be so lucky.

Nice pice that Red. But a couple of things have me confused. Ebitda is Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization. So in my view, it's not really about cash profits it's really about your turnover. The profit element is after all of your deductions have been made.

The other thing is about the valuation of a club. I'm not sure a valuation can be that descriptive. Most businesses have good will and as much as it pains me to admit, I would think United have this in abundance. Anyway, at the end of the day, if the Qataries (if that's a word) fancy paying 1.5bn they will and they probably won't lose much sleep over it. The worry for me, would be how they intend to account for it through the books. You don't want to go from your current debt situation, to an even bigger one. I'd love you to but you wouldn't want to :D

lol i was reading this and thought or should i say i felt the bitterness shining through :D

Mr BJ: Did I not read the exact same thing on the story about this on bbc.com/football? cut and paste job was it or you think so highly of it you decided to share it with us as well? :lol:

Great to see green pea get the start we were agreeing he deserved. And didn't he justify the manager's decision! That impressive goal scoring record you were talking about Sparky just got even better!

And even better than his performance i thought was VDS's. Those two times Wigan broke through on goal looked like certain goals. Almost any other keeper between the sticks and they would have been. The thought of losing him is becoming more painful.

Happy to finally get an away win - and in the end a convincing win. Can't remember the last time we had one of those.

One negative comment, what the **** was Rooney thinking of? Unlike the manager, i do think he got away with one there. Yes there wasn't much contact but the intention was obvious. Not that it's any excuse, but i can't help thing there must have been some sort of incident off the ball previous to this. Anyway, he did get away with it and i just hope he cuts this crap out for future games, cos next time he won't be so lucky.

Van der Sar just doesn't look like a player that time is catching up with ,far from it. I think his performances this year, apart from that one dropped ball against ? have been as good if not better than previous seasons. One thing I have noticed during his time at United he makes very quick decisions, none of this one step forward, one back, he commits himself as he did against Wigan and it invariably the right choice. Understandable he wants to quit at the top and spend time with his wife (now recoverd) and his kids but boy what a loss. Anyone notice ex United Ben Fosters performance in the Caring Cup final ? I think the pressure at United for goalkeepers is huge and maybe he just didn't have the mental strength to handle it .Following in Schmeichel and VDS shoes ,and the fans expectations, was not easy.

Rooney obviously should have been suspended.Maybe the guy gave him a "verbal" before the incident heaven knows he would have enough ammunition after Rooneys "social excursions " but absolutely no excuse.SAF well may have defended him publicly, as he always does, but have no doubt he had him in the office for a dressing down next day !

^

^

Good posts rix and Sparks.... :jap:

Big game tonight lads, bigger one on Sunday... Heads in the game and eyes on the prize we should get through this with hard part done and, the home straight well in sight, if not, we'll plug on.... ;)

redrus

Never a penalty, harsh result but, those are the breaks..... Onwards, ever onwards, bring on Anfield minus Vidic.....!!!!! Never ones to make it easy for ourselves are we :rolleyes:

redrus

Never a penalty, harsh result but, those are the breaks..... Onwards, ever onwards, bring on Anfield minus Vidic.....!!!!! Never ones to make it easy for ourselves are we :rolleyes:

redrus

Yep a soft penalty and whereas against Wigan, Rooney got away with one, Luiz last night got away with two or three blatant and intentional off the ball fouls. A shame he was doing that cos the rest of his game looked class and unlike a lot of his team mates, he seemed to actually give a shit. Anyway, enough of Chelsea's problems, i think away to Chelsea was always going to be one of the tough ones and providing we can win away at Liverpool and pick up our game away from home in the remaining fixtures, we are still in a strong position.

Vidic out is a blow but Smalling is really growing into the team and with VDS in goal i think we should have the cover. Anyone know when Rio comes back?

One final comment, i've always had mixed feelings about Gary Neville - respected what he did on the pitch, but felt he was something of a <deleted> off it - but give him his due, he's got passion for the club just like us and just like the supporters who he was standing amongst - players, or should i say ex-players, like him, are a rare species.

I love the mentality of died-in-the-wool soccer supporters. Indications above that the game against Liverpool is Man U's biggest challenge ahead. Not Chelsea away (last night), not Chelsea at home late in the season, not Arsenal at home in a coupla weeks time, but the hated team down the road. No matter that they are currently mediocre and should be easy pickings.

Dontya love it? They'll probably talk themselves into making Liverpool a tough game to win. :rolleyes:

I love the mentality of died-in-the-wool soccer supporters. Indications above that the game against Liverpool is Man U's biggest challenge ahead. Not Chelsea away (last night), not Chelsea at home late in the season, not Arsenal at home in a coupla weeks time, but the hated team down the road. No matter that they are currently mediocre and should be easy pickings.

Dontya love it? They'll probably talk themselves into making Liverpool a tough game to win. :rolleyes:

yeah they are all difficult when you are as good as we are! we are used to it pal.....but get your facts right city is the number 1 game now cos they are the richest innit! :bah: