Manchester United

redrus

Ominous. SAF used FCB's style for the second half (quick closing out) to great effect.

Fascinating game. Luckily for Spurs their manager issue will sort itself (unlike ours which could well drag on a couple of years). Appallingly late substitutions cost Spurs a shot at the game.

Spurs a top 4 contender if they can find a couple of strikers - otherwise they will slump into Arsenal-like despond.

Hard to judge Spurs on one game, but they were lacking in too many areas for me, whereas I thought Man U at times were absolutely superb....Wellbeck is a revelation and the new signings are fitting in well. Based on this one game and two I've seen Liverpool play, I think Liverpool are much better side and will be in the top four.

I don't think many teams will beat United or City this year, so it looks interesting.

Ominous. SAF used FCB's style for the second half (quick closing out) to great effect.

Fascinating game. Luckily for Spurs their manager issue will sort itself (unlike ours which could well drag on a couple of years). Appallingly late substitutions cost Spurs a shot at the game.

Spurs a top 4 contender if they can find a couple of strikers - otherwise they will slump into Arsenal-like despond.

Hard to judge Spurs on one game, but they were lacking in too many areas for me, whereas I thought Man U at times were absolutely superb....Wellbeck is a revelation and the new signings are fitting in well. Based on this one game and two I've seen Liverpool play, I think Liverpool are much better side and will be in the top four.

I don't think many teams will beat United or City this year, so it looks interesting.

Its between those two. Even if Chelsea spend another 40/50m i reckon Utd and City are out on their own and their squads are also better than the rest.

Spurs, for example, are not a well balanced squad. We have four keepers, five right backs. Last season he chose eight center backs including two that played a combined total of i believe less than five matches. The "great" weakness, last season and this, is obvious to all but hopefully if the Adebayour deal is done we just need one more.

The problem is we have a manager that did'nt rate Suarez and still thinks Defoe is a natural goalscorer. :huh:

Edited by carmine

I thought United looked ominous last night.

They didn't really click, even when they began to dominate, but there does look like there's an awful lot more to come from them and they're kids...again.

I reckon Fergie will now be looking to find his best 11 ASAP and settle on it, as well as buy a shedload of Complan (or whatever that stuff is for putting on weight is called) for De Gea and get some muscle on him as he needs a stone or two or he's going to get slaughtered in the premiership.

As for Spurs I thought they looked good for the first half but Bale never seemed to recover fully from the clout Jones gave him and Van de Vaart looked "leggy" after the first 30 minutes.

They then seemed to run out of steam/ideas in the second half but that's always been the pattern of Spurs v United games.laugh.gif

I have a feeling this season is going to be a cracker as all of the top 6 sides are rebuilding and they have all looked shaky so far.

Can one of the chasing pack exploit this fact? I hope so as it would be nice to see a Villa, Fulham or another "outsider" get in the mix and give the "big boys" a run for their money.

They didn't really click, even when they began to dominate, but there does look like there's an awful lot more to come from them and they're kids...again.

I reckon Fergie will now be looking to find his best 11 ASAP and settle on it, as well as buy a shedload of Complan (or whatever that stuff is for putting on weight is called) for De Gea and get some muscle on him as he needs a stone or two or he's going to get slaughtered in the premiership.

As for Spurs I thought they looked good for the first half but Bale never seemed to recover fully from the clout Jones gave him and Van de Vaart looked "leggy" after the first 30 minutes.

They then seemed to run out of steam/ideas in the second half but that's always been the pattern of Spurs v United games.laugh.gif

I have a feeling this season is going to be a cracker as all of the top 6 sides are rebuilding and they have all looked shaky so far.

Can one of the chasing pack exploit this fact? I hope so as it would be nice to see a Villa, Fulham or another "outsider" get in the mix and give the "big boys" a run for their money.

Great post that HD and a welcome return to positive contribution, short but sweet and well balanced with no bias..... As for Fulham/Villa/outsider, dead on mate.....! :jap:

redrus

Yep good post but i cannot see anyone having the squads needed to do it maybe Sunderland and Bolton but if they finish above 10th place both will be happy,it will be the same top 5/6 at the end of the season.

Yep good post but i cannot see anyone having the squads needed to do it maybe Sunderland and Bolton but if they finish above 10th place both will be happy,it will be the same top 5/6 at the end of the season.

Stoke are a better bet than the ones already mentioned here. However, with Martin Jol as their manager i'll be delighted to see Fulham have a strong season. Top man and very good manager.

I just have a feeling that the big guns may run into problems along the way and if, if, one of the others can gel quicker than the rest maybe they can come up on the rails.

The reason I didn't include Sunderland was that I think they're in the same boat as the bigger guns as they too have a lot of new faces to fit in. That showed against Newcastle.

I have a feeling about Villa though. They have a nice balance of youth and experience. I like Marc Albrighton and Gabby Ablongahor a lot and if they can shoulder the burden of being in the front line week in week out, they'll be a force. Bent's finish on Saturday showed he for once has started the season with his boots on the right feet and if he can stay injury free...

Back to United, do you lads think they need Sneijder or should Fergie keep the money in the bank and give the kids the chance?

Back to United, do you lads think they need Sneijder or should Fergie keep the money in the bank and give the kids the chance?

I'm of the mind that if we get Sneijder, great but, if not, we'll cope well enough. I think that most reds would like to see how we get on with the new kids this season and fingers crossed, the Ciddy deal for Nasri will fall through and we'll bag him for free next season and, no need to spend next season either.

In answer to your question then, no, I don't think we do need him but, if he comes......., sweet...!

redrus

WS is a world class midfielder who would get in anyone's team ....so yes he would be a good addition....but SAF said it aint going to happen now!

Expect him on Friday then..... ;)

redrus

Sccchhhhh!

His experience in the Champions League would be beneficial but it anit going to happen now for the wages he wants and his age.

City might get him biggrin.gif

Edited by MrRed

Sccchhhhh!

His experience in the Champions League would be beneficial but it anit going to happen now for the wages he wants and his age.

OOooooo, that was a bit below the money belt.....!!!

redrus

DHL Delivers Lucrative United Deal....

soccerex.com

Manchester United has served further notice of its commercial power by agreeing a ground-breaking deal with DHL.

The leading logistics company has upgraded its current relationship with the Barclays Premier League champion to become its first official training kit sponsor. DHL has been United’s official logistics partner for a year, but the new four-year agreement, worth a reported £40 million, will see the company’s logo included on the club’s training kit during domestic competitions. The agreement dwarfs the revenues that the majority of United’s Premier League rivals generate for their main shirt sponsors, with only Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur thought to make more than £10 million per season from their agreements. The DHL deal is worth around half of the reported £80 million United receives from its main partner Aon.

“This deal breaks new ground in the English game,” said Manchester United’s chief executive, David Gill. “We are delighted that DHL has chosen to pioneer training kit sponsorship with the club. Their global presence and international standing are a perfect fit for the world’s most popular football club.”

John Pearson, CEO of DHL Express (Europe), added: “This strategic partnership will see DHL getting more involved in the behind the scenes operations of Manchester United and supporting the club in its continued success. Building on our current relationship with the world’s biggest football club reflects our ability to provide unparalleled logistics services for customers across the globe.”

Well, that's Sneijder piad for then....... :whistling:

redrus

Sccchhhhh!

Mancini has said City are not in the hunt for him & never have been.

On last nights match I don't think Arsenal & Bolton :D have anything to fear from Spurs for the 4th & 5th spot

Title odds cut as Manchester United’s youngsters turn on the style

Man Utd's odds are now 5/4 to win the Premier League after their 3-0 victory over Spurs, ladbrokes.com

Manchester United have been cut to 5/4 in the Premier League betting to win the title after a youthful looking team performed with style, poise and energy against Tottenham to show they will be no weak links when the title race hots up.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson will be pleased with the 3-0 victory over one of his outside title rivals, it will be the manner of the performance at Old Trafford that will bring the biggest smile to his face.

Despite the game being so early into the new season, it was considered before kick-off to be an acid test for Manchester United, primarily with regular central defensive pairing Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand both out, while David De Gea had a point to prove in goal.

The average age of the Manchester United starting line-up may have only been 23, but in hindsight it is tough to see what all the pre-match fuss was about.

Phil Jones looked impressive in defence, Tom Cleverley showed some class in the midfield and Danny Welbeck scored one and made another for Anderson with an exquisite back-heel.

Throw in the added variety of Ashley Young, the growing stature of Anderson and the return to form of both Nani and Wayne Rooney and it is hard to fault Manchester United domestically.

De Gea still had the odd shaky moments, but his distribution looks a big asset, while he certainly lacks nothing in confidence.

Whether this young team has the necessary experience to shine in the Champions League against the best opposition remains to be seen, but they should certainly have little trouble holding their own in the Premier League when called upon.

Despite the manner of the Manchester United victory, Chelsea’s odds to win the Premier League remain unchanged at 11/4, with Manchester City priced at 3/1 in what is already considered to be a three-horse race.

redrus

My issue with Sneijder is that it seems like the kids will be fine domestically speaking, and the main worry is the Champs League.

Now given that United got to the final last season pretty comfortably, don't you think that WS is a bit of a heavy lay out just with the CL in mind, as for all you know, the kids may well bloom in the competition, after all Xavi and Iniesta were kids once?

I recall Giggs and co really seemed to bloom for their experience in the CL, as Hernandez did last year (bar the final) so were I a United fan, I wouldn't be too concerned either way to be honest.

Adder, if you want to be taken even 1% seriously on this forum I suggest you grow a pair and grow up. I can imagine JackD and Mr Bj must cringe reading the stuff you write on here.

Re tonight's match, no Modric : head is not right according to the Guardian?

James I am with you on this one he has been a member for 37 days ( unless a reincarnation of course) and has had many :fight: as days membership. Why does he come on United thread to cause trouble and disrepect to SAF, (The greatest Manager the EPL has seen), among others ? Is it because he can ? should he not get at least a :yellowcard: or even a :redcard2: ? to have an early bath and cool off. ( NOT THAT i AM DISCUSSING MODERATION THOUGH)

May he is a TROLL so he is not going to wind me up.

Hopefully a great win tonight.

BT :clap2:

I would like to stick up for Adder at this point and will state that I will never put him on 'ignore'.

For a start I really I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about 90% of the time. But, more importantly, he is a Man City fan. And even the longest serving, most intelligent and loyal Man City fan should at least realize there is a price to pay for buying your way to the top.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson will be pleased with the 3-0 victory over one of his outside title rivals,

What idiot wrote that crap :lol:

Another Surrey boy jumps on the bandwagon. I've never met a real City fan with your petulance adder and I hope I never do.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson will be pleased with the 3-0 victory over one of his outside title rivals,

Another Surrey boy jumps on the bandwagon. I've never met a real City fan with your petulance adder and I hope I never do.

So you have never met a Mancunian . If you can't handle the truth just put me on ignore . Like I give a sh-t . Why would you think I would want to meet you . :lol:

So you have never met a Mancunian . If you can't handle the truth just put me on ignore . Like I give a sh-t . Why would you think I would want to meet you . :lol:

I'd reckon you've been to see City play twice....both times with your dad. wink.gif

I'd reckon you've been to see City play twice....both times with your dad. wink.gif

:cheesy::cheesy::burp::passifier:

Which is 2 times more than you have been to see your shower of Sh-te ;)

I love this unique brand of Mancunian wit you bring to the forum.

Fascinating.

Very fookin unique mate, I've been in and around Manchester all of my life and never have I encountered this 'brand'....!!

Fascinating, one feels you wanted to use a different word there Smokie..... :whistling:

redrus

Don't feed the troll smokes, they have a never ending appetite for getting mentally abused-think its a fetish actually.

Haha, didn't people think you were a troll at one point James..? :whistling:

redrus

Which is 2 times more than you have been to see your shower of Sh-te ;)

I love this unique brand of Mancunian wit you bring to the forum.

Fascinating.

Very fookin unique mate, I've been in and around Manchester all of my life and never have I encountered this 'brand'....!!

Fascinating, one feels you wanted to use a different word there Smokie..... :whistling:

Well well welcome all.

Dear me red pus-sy is that the best you can do ? you have never seen Manchester . Did you sit up & watch the match last night ? I didn't think so .

In & around :lol: you mean around :lol: I bet you think the swamp is in Manchester :lol:

You don't meet real Mancunians in dream world :lol:

If you watch Joe Hart take a cross, his arm are fully stretched to meet the ball. A couple of times I've felt De Gea lets the ball come to him rather than stretch for it. He's had a lot of 'eyeing up' and people have formed a good opinion of him based on what they've seen. I'm sure he will improve.

5 Things We Learnt in our Victory over Spurs.....

By Adam Hicks@stretfordendarising

1. ‘You can’t win anything with kids’

Having proven Alan Hansen’s now infamous statement meaningless it doesn’t seemed to have stopped Sir Alex from having another go. The average age of Manchester United’s starting XI tonight was just 23 and on another note it contained seven British players. United’s policy of placing trust in their younger players has been a key part of their success under Ferguson particularly with ‘Fergie’s Fledglings’ in the mid 90s. Now there’s a new crop of young talent hoping to make the step up from the academy into the first team on a full-time basis. One such player is Danny Welbeck who opened the scoring tonight with a superb header converting a cross from fellow academy graduate Tom Cleverley. Welbeck was again involved in a beautifully worked second goal which he back heeled for Anderson to slam home and effectively end the game as a contest. Welbeck did struggle at times during the game but didn’t lose his head and that determination will have no doubt impressed Sir Alex. It was a great display from United’s youngsters particularly in defence, Phil Jones made his home debut but didn’t show any sign of nerves and Evans also handed in a solid display while Smalling was a handful for Tottenham going forward at right-back.

2. David De Gea banishes earlier mistakes

It seemed nobody had told David de Gea people were starting to question his ability after a couple of shaky displays for his new club. The young Spanish keeper delivered a near faultless display on his home debut, but for one incident. De Gea came to collect a cross but misjudged the flight of the ball and fumbled it into the path of Jermaine Defoe who crashed a shot against the post. It was a blip on an otherwise convincing performance. Although he didn’t make any world class saves De Gea was tested from distance on a number of occasions and his handling was put to the test. He arrived with a reputation of being a great distributor of the ball and it was his quick thinking that allowed United to go forward and open the scoring through Danny Welbeck. There will certainly be sterner tests ahead for De Gea but for now he can celebrate keeping his first clean sheet for United.

3. Sir Alex finds a winning formula in midfield

There’s been a lot of talk about how United are going to replace the mercurial talent of Paul Scholes. Wesley Sneijder has been linked with a move all summer, along with a host of other names but perhaps the club have had the solution right under their noses all along in Tom Cleverley. After learning his trade down in the lower divisions before being loaned out to Wigan last year the 22 year-old is now on the tip of every fan’s tongue. Another impressive display from saw him set up the first goal to finally break Spurs’ resistance. Carrick has now been overlooked in the last three competitive games with Sir Alex for now seemingly happy with Anderson and Cleverley taking full responsibility in the centre of midfield. With Anderson now in his fourth year at Old Trafford, he is finally fulfilling his potential by delivering more consistent performances. Ironically he’s been playing in a slightly deeper role but managed to get on the score sheet tonight, something he hasn’t done too often in the past. However, with Darren Fletcher close to a return it may disrupt the partnership that Cleverley and Anderson have been forming. But for now it seems Sir Alex has found a winning formula and it will be interesting to see if he sticks with it for the visit of Arsenal this weekend or whether he will opt for the experience of Ryan Giggs.

4. Young defenders coped well

Sir Alex named his back four for the game during Friday’s press conference and revealed Smalling, Jones, Evans and Evra would line-up against Spurs. Along with de Gea it was a very young back line and Harry Redknapp must have thought it was a good chance for Spurs to get their first win at Old Trafford since 1989 – but no such luck. United’s defence was rarely troubled, there was no aerial threat with Defoe playing as the lone striker and United’s disciplined defending meant Tottenham were left shooting from outside the area. The injuries to Ferdinand and Vidic could have been a massive blow to United’s season but the valuable experience Smalling gained in the first team last year and the purchase of Phil Jones in the summer has meant United are well equipped to deal with any injury crisis at the back. Jones was especially outstanding. His Old Trafford debut was full of fantastic tackling, defensive blocks, headers, interceptions, accurate passing and surging forward runs. Not bad for a 19 year old! Future United captain? Whisper it quietly… It’s unclear how long Ferdinand and Vidic will be sidelined for but in the coming weeks United will seemingly be able to cope at the back without their most experienced defenders.

5. Wayne Rooney has started with a bang

Rooney has now scored in the first two Premier League games of the season to continue the form he rediscovered in last season’s run in. He looked sharp all game and was his usual energetic, creative self and after squandering what looked like a simple tap in, he converted Giggs’ cross with his head late on. The striker formed a formidable partnership with Javier Hernandez last term but with the Mexican still not fully fit Rooney has been playing alongside Danny Welbeck with whom he has also formed a strong understanding. It is clear Rooney is back to his goal scoring ways after netting two weeks running with two completely different goals. It leaves him one away from a total of 150 goals for the club.

—————————————–

Spurs lads......

"Are you Hearts in disguise" was gonna be my song if we'd scored 1 more............ :P

redrus