Manchester United

redrus

Playing for England a 'waste of time' says Gary Neville

belfasttelegraphonline.com

Gary Neville has warned England have no chance of winning a major trophy for the next decade and admitted he sometimes considered his international career a "waste of time".

The former Manchester United right-back, who retired last season, played in three European Championships and two World Cups for England, his best result the semi-finals at Euro 96.

And he claimed the national team are unlikely to improve on that performance in the near future.

Writing in his autobiography 'Red'. serialised in the Mail on Sunday, he said: "We have our football culture in this country based on the traditional power player and I don't see us competing seriously for a major tournament for at least 10 years.

"I'm afraid we still have a lot of catching up to do."

Neville also claimed the abuse the team received often made it an unenjoyable experience and left many players fearing failure.

"There have been times when I reflected on my international career and just thought: 'Well that was a massive waste of time'," Neville added.

"Sorry for sounding sour, but my best mate, David Beckham, got butchered after the World Cup in 1998, then my brother, Phil, after Euro 2000.

"The whole lot of us got it in the neck at other times. Sometimes we deserved it, but playing for England was one long roller-coaster: some ups and downs, but also quite a few moments when you're not really sure if you're enjoying the ride.

"It should be fantastic, the best moments of your life. But there is no doubt that too many players spend too much time fearing the consequence of failure when they pull on an England shirt."

Neville also admitted success with United meant more to him then doing well for England.

He said: "I regard myself as patriotic but, truth be told, playing for England was a bonus. Winning for my club was always the most important thing and given a straight choice of a European Cup with United or a European Championship with England, it's United every time."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/playing-for-england-a-waste-of-time-says-gary-neville-16040523.html?#ixzz1Vwx9zGHF

That's why we love ya Gary.... ;)

redrus

Gossip: Manchester United linked with late Samir Nasri swoop

MEN-online....

Manchester United are on standby to make a shock late swoop for Manchester City target Samir Nasri, according to a report.

The French ace is set to move for the Blues for £23m after undergoing a medical in Manchester on Tuesday night.

However, the Daily Mail report that United are hopeful the lure of a central midfield spot at Old Trafford could make Nasri think twice.

This is all over the internet, surely surely just a mad rumour.....?!?!?

redrus

Why would he want to join a club in decline :lol:

Bj, you see our line-up that demolished the spurs? That's a club that will continue to haunt you and others for the next decade while merc city will continue to play merry go round with 'stars' who love to sit and get paid. Nice work if you can get it-should make for good political careers once they are done sitting on the bench.

Whisper it quietly, but our friend Mr adder has had his come-uppance.

Entertaining for a few days, but a season of that would have been a bit much, even for City fans I reckon.

He was a maverick was'nt he...:D

Amongst other names...!

redrus

Gossip: Manchester United linked with late Samir Nasri swoop

MEN-online....

Manchester United are on standby to make a shock late swoop for Manchester City target Samir Nasri, according to a report.

The French ace is set to move for the Blues for £23m after undergoing a medical in Manchester on Tuesday night.

However, the Daily Mail report that United are hopeful the lure of a central midfield spot at Old Trafford could make Nasri think twice.

This is all over the internet, surely surely just a mad rumour.....?!?!?

redrus

Why would he want to join a club in decline :lol:

Welcome to the Decline of the Century ...post-22903-0-86171500-1314260857_thumb.j

Bj, you see our line-up that demolished the spurs? That's a club that will continue to haunt you and others for the next decade while merc city will continue to play merry go round with 'stars' who love to sit and get paid. Nice work if you can get it-should make for good political careers once they are done sitting on the bench.

sorry forgot to add this...

8 yr old Danny Welbeck was rejected by Man City youth academy and was told "He wasn't good enough". 2 weeks later, he joined Manchester United youth academy!!

8 yr old Danny Welbeck was rejected by Man City youth academy and was told "He wasn't good enough". 2 weeks later, he joined Manchester United youth academy!!

With Aguero and Tevez upfront he still ain;t good enough. :lol:

;)post-22903-0-31464400-1314261238_thumb.j

Yes, he is....! ;)

redrus

Yes, he is....! ;)

redrus

Excellent counter-point there Rus. biggrin.gif

Tut......., ok ok.......

With, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney and Chicharito......, Wellbeck will be more than good enough and, none of them will complain about squad rotation....! ;)

redrus

Yes, he is....! ;)

redrus

Excellent counter-point there Rus. biggrin.gif

Tut......., ok ok.......

With, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney and Chicharito......, Wellbeck will be more than good enough and, none of them will complain about squad rotation....! ;)

redrus

Thanks for expanding. biggrin.gif

Wouldn't trade any of our strikers for Tevez. He's a poor man's Rooney, his finishing is unreliable, and wherever he goes, he is immediately looking towards his next big money move - or at least if he isn't, his twunt of an agent is.

Aguero on the other hand looks class, but very early days.

Regarding squad rotation and not complaining, agree with you about our guys, with the possible exception of Berba. Not sure how he will feel about being a bit-part player, if he stays. Must admit i'm amazed he hasn't left already. Thought the day he went back home from the game and saw on the TV SAF and Phelan ripping the piss out of him from the bench seats behind him, he would be off. Perhaps though i don't give his sense of humour enough credit...

Speaking of him by the way, that delicious back-heel from Welbeck was so Berba'esque. Must have been picking up some tricks from him in training.

wow alfie_that's original. If I were you I would start making another list of excuses for this weekend in advance.

No excuses needed. Everyone one knows we are a club well run financially and we cannot compete with the vast sums of money and ludicrous wages shelled out by the like of Utd, City and Chelsea.

So, surprisingly jimbo, your galactico newbies are doing rather well....now theres a surprise!!! And the usual "we want success immediately" Utd faithful are starting to realise that the young "weaklink" galactico keeper ain't that bad after all.

New Utd logo; "In huge spending and a great big red nose do we trust"

Now to answer your question on another thread, Tottenham will be delighted with a point against even bigger moneybags than you lot but we'll probably lose.

Harry's been giving our players the big lift they need by gushing to the media about how much he admires the City team. :huh: Words cannot express how much i despise that man.